Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Black police officers charged over death of Tyre Nichols

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,753 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Laughable.

US police are thousands of police departments so we need thousands of snowflake solutions to the same problem, racial animus from police towards minorities as a function of training?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,060 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's the problem of seeing everything in terms of race as it seems many Americans do.

They find themselves stuck in a loop.

They'll probably end up defending the black police men now.

Fixated on race and drama. That's America.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not sure I’d have the stomach to watch this video if it’s as bad as is portrayed.

That’s another effort at reading me ass backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What it does do is it solidifies the argument of policing in so many forces in the US being unfit for purpose and yet you think it negates the movement that spent years stating exactly that.

The police being identified and dismissed so quickly is new isn't it? Any thoughts on that?

Also, in the height of the George Floyd events and the discussion around here, several people claimed that there wasn't such a think as systemic racism, again, this could be viewed as strong evidence that such a thing exists, I'm not saying that it does that but again you discounted that to immediately determine that BLM were wrong in calling for change.

• Advertisement

This has nothing to do with race no matter how much you want it to.

you should change the thread title and the body of the OP so

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Morgan Freeman had it spot on years ago.

If you want to stop racism just stop talking about race.

"That guy is an asshole" not "That black/white/yellow/brown/other guy is an asshole"

Sorry but thats nonsense.

Unless you can prove that the cops killed him because he was black and/or because they were black.

That’s not my burden no. Race is clearly inseparable from the topic given the title and body and even the replies being derisive to black Americans as animals.

• Advertisement

He’s an idiot on this. An ostrich. Future Morgan Freeman clearly agreed, because he got into the conversation on race

https://www.inquisitr.com/6096777/freeman-racism-instagram

Whats the title got to do with it?

"Police Officers" is just as much part of the title, you you choose to decide that this incident is a race one. Why is that?

so you’re suggesting, I never mentioned they were cops at all? my replies are not predicated on the fact that they are police officers? 🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thegame983

It's not just America anymore.

That toxic ideology is over here too. It's pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mikethecop

100 percent , great to see him being called out on it by other posters too

you would wonder what inspires some one to put such effort into a single agenda , ever possible thread every possible opportunity to sow hate

The family said in their remarks the video is worse than the beating of Rodney King.

:|

Post edited by Overheal on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Video to be shared Friday evening. This is almost like a teaser trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,060 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Prime time they call it in America. A circus as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭jackboy

Hard to imagine that five police officers could do this together. How could five such psychos come to be working together.

• Advertisement

Somethings up at that department, they're not the only officers charged with kidnapping and murdering someone from Memphis PD *this month*

In broader Tennessee there was the sex scandal among the officers

I wonder about the culture of the states policing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Agreed but that mindset is creeping in here too…

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Firstly, Overheal , just like yourself, I have not seen any video evidence of the incident, but , judging by the reactions in certain quarters ( the dismissed police officers) , I can draw my own conclusion ( just like yourself also ) .

Secondly , this incident has been known of for a number of weeks , but seems to have been kept " hush hush " ( no " peaceful" marches , outrage etc ) , why so ?

Third , " Joe and Co " calling for non violent protests ? , doesn't suit their agenda at the moment ? ( ie orange man bad ) .

Fourth, at no point in my postings have I made a " twisted call for violence " . Your words , not mine 🙄

Just highlighting the current hypocrisy from certain quarters over this poor chaps demise .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

The delay in releasing the footage, the call for calm and peaceful protest from the president suggests that this footage is going to be horrific.

According to reports the victim is defenceless and calls for his mother in the last few seconds of the video. There won't be many people able to hide their emotions and ignore this one. Maybe something will finally be done about the police forces in the US or at least start real dialogue for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Be right back

The photo of Tyre lying on his pillow is horrific.

Chief of Police:

LEMON: That’s when you — Sunday morning is when you first saw the video?

DAVIS: That’s absolutely right.

LEMON: And then, when you saw it, what was your reaction?

DAVIS: Um, I was — I was outraged. I was — it was incomprehensible to me. It was unconscionable. And I felt that I needed to do something and do something quickly. I don’t think I’ve witnessed anything of that nature in my entire career.

LEMON: Really?

DAVIS: Really.

LEMON: That bad?

DAVIS: It was that bad.

LEMON: What are we going to see, then?

DAVIS: You’re going to see acts that defy humanity. You’re going to see a disregard for life. Duty of care that we’re all sworn to. And a level of physical interaction that is above and beyond what is required in law enforcement.

And I’m sure that — you know, as I said before, that individuals watching will feel what the family felt. And if you don’t, then you’re not a human being — and we all are human beings. And I think there will be a measure of sadness as well.

LEMON: How long do these incidents go on? We heard from the district attorney yesterday and from the head of the TBI that there were two separate incidents, right?

DAVIS: Yes.

LEMON: How long do they go on, and when — what was the worst part of it? Because it has been said that the officers became charged —

DAVIS: Yes.

LEMON: — during the second incident. That they got more riled up.

DAVIS: Well, from the very beginning to me, they were riled up, you know. I don’t think they were as amped up as they were on the second — at the second scene. But just the stop — the nature of the stop, very aggressive, loud communication. And it was — it just rose from there. It escalated from there.

Mr. Nichols was able to get away from these officers and they found him again at another location. And at that point, there was — there was an amount of aggression that is unexplainable, you know.

In any instance where you’re apprehending someone, even in the worst situations when there is resistance, officers still have the responsibility to exercise care and regard for any individual that’s in custody or they’re attempting to apprehend, and they’re trained to do that.

LEMON: And to de-escalate.

DAVIS: And to de-escalate. And that’s the piece I think that is in question, but I think the escalation was there from the officers before training even needed to come in as it relates to de-escalate. The escalation was already there at a high level.

LEMON: So you’re saying they did everything wrong? Nothing that — you think this was outside of their training — everything.

DAVIS: Oh, absolutely for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭hawley

Ben Crump is involved now. This is going to get very ugly I'd say.

It's a meme at this point how often he represents the victims in these lawsuits but his resume is exhaustive when it comes to wrongful death by police etc. cases. But I think it's unfair to say his presence means it's 'ugly' or even that he wins each case for client.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

An American sociologist was making the point on RTE Drivetime that American police forces and the US legal system are so racist towards black people that it is perfectly possible for even black officers to behave in a 'racist' fashion towards another black man i.e. they are first and foremost representatives of an institutional racist force and wearing the uniform and may be acting in the same way as any white racist officer.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,446 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Overheal and RNFoxtrot threadbanned

Advertisement