Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5 Black police officers charged over death of Tyre Nichols

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

There's 4 videos , think CNN have them , I didn't finish them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,588 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ok, well I assume these cops will fight the charge and plead not guilty and give their story on why they did what they did. Without knowing all the facts, it appears they beat a man in a sustained fashion who was not a physical threat to them whilst they beat him.

2 have said they'd plead not guilty, from watching the videos I wouldn't be surprised if the other 3 pleaded guilty. This happened 3 weeks ago , there is minor facts to learn but not large ones. The police chief highly condemned the videos there was a lot of warnings before releasing them , they were terrified of the potential public anger. Those cops are going to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Tyre Deandre Nichols, aged 29, beloved son, baby of the family, Dad, keen skateboarder (step Dad always slagging him to give up Skateboarding at his age!), work colleague, avid photographer with a creative eye.

“Photography helps me look at the world in a more creative way. It expresses me in ways I cannot write down for people,” he wrote on his website. He preferred landscapes and loved the glow of sunsets, his family has said. 

“My vision is to bring my viewers deep into what I am seeing through my eye and out through my lens,” Nichols wrote. “People have a story to tell, why not capture it.”

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

I thought the protests are always about black lives mattering and protesting against police violence.

A black man has been murdered by police officers for no reason.

Why would you not expect trouble over this.

Surely black lives matter and not only when a white police offer is the murderer.

I can't even bring myself to watch the video, let's hope they are locked up and the key is thrown away.

• Advertisement

There won’t be near the level of protest and media hype due to the cops being black. It doesn’t sell for the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The body cam videos are messy, I didn’t think there was much to see there. They are interesting though because you can hear the dialogues and that Nichols complies and is neither aggressive nor abusive towards them. The pole camera footage shows him being held up and beaten up severely because he is staggering and keeps collapsing. I’m not sure if they have footage of all of them taking swings, but looks like all were at least complicit.

As I said: I can see no good out of releasing the videos, especially not on a Friday evening. The stupid masses will use it as an excuse to riot and destroy as much as possible to vent their anger.

Poor poor man. Must have been utterly terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Watched the video. It was incredibly upsetting. Hopefully there are widespread peaceful protests which lead to change.

The system of whyte oppression is churning out totalitarian aggressive police officers who target and brutalised minorities.

Rest in Power, Tyre

• Advertisement

Nothing whatsoever to do with “whyte” oppression. It’s this dangerous narrative pushing that is the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

The United States is institutionally racist. If you can't see that there's nothing I can say.

We're not immune here either, as the George Nchenko cade highlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,525 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Just me, and I don’t live in America, but if cop there pulled me over. I’d shut my mouth and allow them to lead, do their job and hopefully all sorted. The cops have fooking guns, and the slightest volatility can lead to you being shot, or very roughly restrained/tested.Is it worth it trying to challenge/query it?

Sure, you are white though, so the chances of the police executing you are slim.

It's one of the most worrying parts of the video, he did comply and not only that he was the only one trying to bring calm to the situation. It was clear from the first second that this wasn't an arrest it was a punishment beating.

Fleeing was the 100% correct to thing to do, it's an absolute shame they caught him, apparently he wasn't far from his mothers house.

There is no ambiguity, he was beaten to death, executed.

He was kicked so viciously in the head whilst restrained that the scum bag limped afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yes it is, because they are black faces of white supremacy. Trained to brutalize any minority they see. When you get your training from fascists you become a fascist, no matter what race you are.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

This case highlights a dangerous and unhealthy mob mentality within this group of officers. Nothing else. I really don’t understand why everything has to have a racist angle now.

You’re peddling a narrative that the whole justice department (1000s a people) in America are all conspiring to train people to brutalise people based off their skin color?

this mob hysteria is why there is so much hostility amongst people

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The attempts to import other countries issues with race in the aftermath of George Nkencho's death were disgusting.

The notion that George Nkencho was the first of many black people to be killed by the Gardai was nonsense then and remains so now. Several politicians made crude statements about racial profiling by the Gardai that have no basis in reality.

You should be ashamed of yourself for attempting to use that situation as a make weight in this discussion.

Glazers Out!

I think people probably don't think that this situation happens to a white person. All these videos we have seen over the years the victims appear to be black. Maybe the media just don't show all the videos of white people not resisting arrest and being murdered, I don't know.

Another person who doesn't have a notion what a fascist actually is.

Glazers Out!

Why can’t this incident be treated as this incident: 5 cops, who very very unlikely “together” conspired to go out and do harm, or worse to another human being. A situation occurred, and escalated to a man being badly beaten, and who later died in hospital. Nothing at all to do with some inbred racial nastiness or racist institutionalism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Was that the Irish lad from Meath who attacked a shop keeper with a knife and then lunged at armed Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yes

Whiteness creates whiteness, it infects everything. Any system that they create, infects ever person who's a part of the system. We saw the same thing early this week with the Asian shooter. Anti Asian hate pushed by the far right, made an Asian man kill his own people to appease white people.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I didn’t watch the video, I don’t really want to being honest but I did see his parents give an interview last night and his mother was just broken, and my heart went out to her. She recalled how broken up his body was, his head so swollen, what a horrific death he suffered. Regardless of his colour, his creed, regardless that they were cops or their colour, they beat him to death. They deserve everything they get, same as the killers of George Floyd. Humanity knows no colour, justice must be Served.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

This is such a simple framework of explanation. It reminds me of Ptolemaic astronomy or Aristotelian physics - ingenious system that appears to fit some of the facts, but woefully wrong in its predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Look at how much more black men are in prison compared with white people, or how many get slaughtered by the police every year. Look at how so many more black communities in the US live in abject poverty compared with white people.

There can only be two reasons for this: one is that black people are inherently more violent and prone to criminality than white people. The other is that there is a culture of inequality and institutional racism in the US towards black people in order to keep the white majority dominant.

I’m not a racist so I believe the latter. What about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

From what I'm seeing the race angle seems to be why have the 5 black cops being fired and charged so quick instead of the usual 6-12 months drawn out process. The lawyer of Tyre Nichols family even touched on this in a CNN interview.

What's to say the District Attorney and Memphis PD wanted to nip this in the bud and been seen to do something fast regardless of the cops being black, white, brown ect ?

Some rando says it's about white supremacy and you just go with it? The latest news I've found is that a motive hasn't been found.

I think you feel like you've stumbled upon some cheat code where anything in America or Europe can be pinned on white people. You're doing it here with black-on-black and Asian-on-Asian crime, without anything in either case having anything to do with race.

Fact is 75% of police killings in the US are white people and unless you can explain the coexistence of that statistic and your assertion that the police are a fascist racist machine, you should do some reflection on where you get your news and who feeds you your whacky opinions.

Somebody got a critical race theory starter pack for Christmas.

Glazers Out!

A history of racist institutions has created poor outcomes for many black communities resulting in higher crime rates.

Trying to limit reality to two options, one which supports your argument and another which is obviously racist, is frankly a dishonest and fallacy-laden way to argue. Be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It is impossible to deny the reality of institutionalised racism in the US without being racist yourself. Denying racism is racism itself.

Advertisement