Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bord Bia Audit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Did she find it difficult, essentially the medicine side of things? A lot of lads easily forgot once a job is done if not recording in a diary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭endainoz

Id imagine that would be the farmers fault if they forgot to give a receipt for something.

Ya true that. I think another area that they are tightening on is if you used 60ml out of a 100ml bottle, there should be 40ml left, if less then why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

No just time consuming looking up the withdrawals for different medicines when you don't have the boxes or bottles to hand and trying to organise feed dockets and other remedies bought by date. In fairness there's very little to it if the records were filled in as jobs were done but a lot won't do it and I'm guilty of it myself aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Use a marker to write down the purchase date and supplier on the medicine box or 5 litre bottles of doses on the day you buy them. Handy to have for doses used on different days. I have built up a database over the years of medicines and doses showing full name and withdrawal dates in an excel spreadsheet

Hpra.ie has all the Data on all the different medicines. I find it useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭hopeso

One of the biggest problems I see is getting a shot of something from the Vet… They’ll give you a prescription alright, but the writing is so bad I can’t make out what it says. I had to go online several times with what little information I could make out on the prescription to see if I could find the spelling of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Had the bord bia audit and had to come back to them with one or two 'follow ups'. I assume the idea of the bord bia auditor creating 'follow ups' is just so you don't get 100%. It's all box ticking with this audit.

Never had to do any such corrections for the organic yearly inspection which looks at similar info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Sami23

For the likes of those 'shots' from the vet for the likes of say draxxin for a lame ewe would you even bother putting that in the bord bia book at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Just passed mine, a nice man arrived at 10 am and left at 1. Went through everything though. The one thing I didn't like was the use of the farm survey as a way of catching you out. The answers were right but the wording of the question are designed to catch you out. We double checked everything, but he said this will be double checked by someone in Dublin. I understand why the bord bia inspections are there but I they are more independent than most other inspections.

Jes 3 hours was a fair grilling alright.

Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I passed on the day as well but some a hole checking at hq found issues with some of the prescriptions.

Didn't inform me until near expiry date but they did extend the date of 30 days.

Would feel like telling them to f o but can't sell milk without certification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

All prescriptions emailed to me here from vets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Same, it's very hand to have all on the laptop for the evening you sit down to fi in the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Do you need to show all prescriptions for the bord bia inspection? Or will the animal record remedies book do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They investigate prescriptions well, they highlight a prescription and ask which animal got that and where was it recorded.

We had a girl called tara ( I think) and she was very thorough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭amacca

Is there any additional complications if there are a lot of outfarms?

I'm thinking of getting this but will I need the signs/safety statements etc etc on everything and will they have to go around all the places?

We have a couple of yards fair distances apart , it could be some pain in the hole to be writing out safety statements etc etc for everything...I'm kind of worried about it tbh...If I could work through the process and do a bit every year that would be fine but I'm nervous there will be a whole lot of **** coming at me year one (and some of which I'll probably reverse as it will be counterproductive)...its also going to be time consuming if they go to see everything.

Would they actually drive around to see all the spots? What happens if you have an off farm job you have to prioritise ....can they call out of a weekend or evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

Have outside blocks here and they have never visited them, as long as you have some cattle around home block ( with all tags !! ) you'll be fine. Only 1 safety statement needed, medicine records the big one. If you dont pass initial inspection ( fairly hard not to pass in fairness ) they give you time before revisit

Had my own one there yesterday, went fairly ok, a few bits to give attention to but happy to have it out of the way before the new suckler scheme opens up in March. There will be a fair scramble for SBLAS membership in a few weeks so its good to have it done. The new SCEP scheme pays fairly well but one has to remember that its actually replacing two different schemes as opposed to just one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Afaik the Beep scheme is staying for 2023 but the weighing bit is being moved in the new BDGP which will be called the SCEP, Suckler cow efficiency programme.

The Bord Bia requirement for the SCEP will have to be delayed, there isn’t a hope of all farmers in the SCEP scheme getting into Bord Bia by March.

I wouldn't be so sure it will be delayed, the SBLAS requirement has been common knowledge for a good few months now. The whole process for me only took a few weeks from registering interest to inspection. It would have been even quicker only for the time of year. I agree there will be a huge rush with bord bia applications but I'm not sure there will be an extension. This isn't the same as ACRES where the farmer literally couldnt get in contact with their advisors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭893bet

I applied for a neighbour 8 weeks ago and no response yet. Suspect they are overwhelmed.

I suppose it could vary by county it's only going get busier for them now though.

interesting to see it took you so fast to be inspected after applying. How does it work? After you applied, do they send you out that farm book? I have to apply for the suckler scheme as well but keep putting it off. Must get on it now this week.

It was as simple as registering online, then they send you the information pack along with the farm book to fill out. You'll then be contacted by an inspector to arrange a date that suits. You also have to fill out an online survey about your farm which can be a bit time consuming but it's fairly simple to do. In fairness it's a very simple process. There's also a checklist for your inspection that comes with the welcome pack that I found to be very handy.

Also there's no suckler scheme to apply for currently as far as I'm aware. The new scheme that requires bord bia certification isn't open until March.

I agree and having to go into Bord Bia will put a certain amount of people off the new SCEP scheme also.

Neighbour has told me already he won't be applying due to the Bord Bia requirement

Is the remote audit still an option?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I don't think so. I think it was only an option during covid restrictions.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Why be so afraid of BB audit. It’s one of the most straightforward audits you’ll ever do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Had one last week...

Straight Forward.... Online hers, doses and withdrawls wrote in... And cats not wormed or dosed as can't get near them... They are wild but hang around as being fed daily 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've five adult wild yard cats here and like you cannot pick them up to worm them. Our Vet suggested to add a little Parazole dog/cat wormer to their food for a couple of feeds to get them used to the smell/taste and then add the proper amount which is 1ml/2kg body weight over two feeds. I also occasionally dose them with a Advocate which is a spot on combined wormer/flea treatment - I skip a feed and leave them hungry, offer them a small amount of feed and as they come in to eat and compete for the feed squeeze a phial per cat to the back of their neck. If you put the Advocate in your trouser pockets for half an hour before hand to heat the liquid up the cats don't notice it.

Edit to add - we are not Bord Bia Assured - I just do it to try and keep the cats healthy.

I agree as I'm in BB myself but that is the view of a few neighbours that are not in it so presume there will many more like that around the country.

I have a cat here. Not a pet or anything, but can be handled. I never dosed him or treated him for anything. How would the inspector know if he was dosed or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

They would look for a receipt for when the wormer was purchased from vet or pet shop

since when is the bordbia auditor concerned with worming the pet cat lads?

I think it's if you're using a cat for vermin control instead of bait points......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I put the tablet into a ball of butter, no handling needed.

• Advertisement

i do that and it’s never been mentioned. People way over think the bordbia thing.

Do they check where you have your silage bales stacked? Mine are in the corner of a field and there is an open drain running behind it?

I wouldn't worry about that anyway. Most of what they check is your shed, crush, handling facility, medical cabinet, dosing records, disinfection point, a couple of signs. If you have all that sorted you won't go too far wrong.

Had mine this morning. Just have a small bit to fill in on the medicines in the book and send it onto them and I'm good to go then.

How far back did you have to go with your medicine book? Is it 3 years? It’s amazing how relaxed you become with the paperwork when there is nobody checking up on you.

No 6 months for new entrants. Just had a print off from the vets with tag numbers on it that I hadn't wrote into the book. Had all the dosing and stuff filled out.

• Advertisement

See Bord Bia will be checking our cattle for behaviour and flightiness among other more stringent measures soon! There'll be no fun left at all - either that or stock up on the sedatives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What is that going to achieve. Bucket reared animals will always be quieter than suckler bred.

I can milk most of my suckler cows in the field. Halfcome up for a scratch.

Put a stranger around them and some would clear the ditch.

be surprised if this is part of the audit.

Just reading off journal, sustainability report every 18 months, soil sampling, not finalized yet. I'm sure its a coincidence that you have to be in Bord Bia to join new suckler scheme and then announce raft of new elements. Will some forego suckler scheme as a result?? Wouldn't be in Bord Bia only have to be going to factory with cattle. Wont go into this suckler scheme either nor previous one

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

"sustainability" Bord Bia will become necessary until they decide there is a beef shortage

Animal must be reared all of life in a Bord Bia Quality Assured herd

from above also Maximum of 1 movement (2 residencies

• Advertisement
Advertisement