Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It only opened for that age group 3 weeks ago, although they were hoping for higher initial turnout:

In the three-week period since the second booster vaccine roll out started on 29 December, some 76,000 jabs were administered. This falls behind targets of 210,000 set for the same three-week period.

By age, 6% of 18 to 49-year-olds have had their second booster, 42% of the 50 to 64-year-olds and 78% of people aged over 65 have had theirs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Spiderman0081

There are a lot of people saying “each to their own” lately.

It wasn’t so prevalent the last few years though. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why do you feel the need to defend and spin the fact that hardly anyone wants boosters anymore? It's over for most people, who cares if they don't. What must you think about the countries like Denmark and Norway who aren't offering more boosters, or even primary vaccinations to younger non high risk people anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So why do you care about odyssey posting what is a fact after all ? Enough to castigate on the thread that is ?

Likewise the healthcare takeup of a booster that 98% took up previously , but over 8 months duration ...24% is not bad considering so many have been infected every week for the last 5 months , and likewise the general population .

Sure half the country has been infected and is recovering so why or how would they be getting boosters ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why do you feel the need to challenge anyone who posts in favour of boosters - if its so over?

Obviously it isnt or you wouldnt.

The figures I posted clearly contradict the notion that hardly anyone is getting the booster.

I posted more information from the article showing significant percentages of the eligible population has gotten booster.

Because of the initial vaccine rollout boosters are a marginal gain and rollout depends on many factors such as level of covid, extent of previous immunity.. its not as clear cut a decision as before.

That doesnt mean they dont have an important role to play.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I heard that too and my jaw dropped just a little with the 25% for healthcare workers.

These are the people at the frontline and if they regard more vaccines as unnecessary, we should wonder.

Of course they don't seem it unnecessary , just that they have been infected in large numbers in the last 3 or four months . Do you and others not check any thing before ye post ..have a look through the epidemiological data, the weekly numbers of healthcare workers infected averaging 250 to 300 a week since last August alone .

Go on ...educate yourself !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

It was already pointed out to you that around 250 to 300 healthcare workers were being infected around November 2021 when the first booster was authorised. Tens of thousands were being infected with Omicron when the 1st booster was approved for other cohorts in mid-December.

Attributing the drop in uptake of the 2nd booster to prior infections is not backed up by any data, hence the continued appeals for greater uptake.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

The low up take can’t all be put down to those working in the health sector being sick in last couple of months.the low figure of 25% means that across all employees in the hse from the bottom cleaners to those in high management have seen tru the pile of crock that the vaccines are.

HSE are not recognising the high staff infection rate . If they do they might have to do something about it . The rate of vaccination if you note of healthcare booster vaccination is now 25% that would be an increase of 10% in the last month alone which proves my point.

And as said and linked to source before , healthcare science and social uptake of the booster in the count end of November was 98% ! Best group which is to be expected.

So why would a group with so much invested in keeping themselves , their families and their patients well , have changed from being so careful ....because they have to wait four months post infection , and so many are being infected every week all along .

If you have data to disprove this , feel free to post it.

Edited to correct according to CSO data .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So as I understand it, you're saying that since healthcare workers are being infected regularly that a) they can't get boosters as the 4 months never elapses and b) they build immunity anyway from all these infections? Is that the gist? If it is, why highlight the statistic I wonder - why not discount this group of workers in the official figures?

If so, I guess the same but perhaps a lesser extent would apply to more general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭jackboy

As far as I can see most people are getting infected with Covid over and over again. It looks like this could be a permanent thing. So there is no need for boosters anymore for healthy individuals.

The 15% uptake was reported in the news article from October 27th. So its actually 10% more uptake in almost 3 months, not 1 month. Are you really claiming only 10% more healthcare workers have become eligible in that period?

Amusing you're looking for data when you have none of your own to back up your hypothesis.

No . They are getting them ....eventually , as with the previous booster . When they can .

Again we had the rhetoric over the previous winter with the HSE managers wringing their hands about the numbers . But many had already been infected when the boosters were rolled out so had the waiting period.

But if you are working in a high infection risk area you can get infected again before you get chance to get a booster , before your waiting period up ...Not to mention work busy and long , unsocial hours and not being allocated vaccines in the workplace. If they are so concerned roll it out in the workplace as they did in the beginning .

Even as before the incremental increase in healthcare vaccination is steady and will hit a good percentage eventually .

The immunity wanes more quickly with infection as opposed to booster . The two together give the best immunity recovery and booster. The older people over 65s are at 75% atm, second booster , which is good because they don't want to be risking an infection if they can avoid it . Might not come out so well .

They don't discount it , but they don't really know the full numbers . Because the rollout is not being done in a dedicated healthcare rollout , there are people vaccinated in other groups eg high risk medical conditions , who are not being counted as healthcare workers .

The real numbers could be double the official numbers , and with another 10% waiting for recovery time periods to be up.

You would think that it should be a priority for the HSE to find out how many healthcare workers are being infected through their work , or are still sick with Covid , wouldn't you ?

I don't think the HSE really want that though ...they might have to consider making Covid an occupational illness if the real numbers were out there !

Better to fudge the issue with inaccurate numbers boosted and try to blame workers for the system's inadequacies .

I have and have posted them before . Whatever was available. Only done every few months now by CSO because of changes brought in last year . ( Note HSE doesn't post data and your statements from them are all just rumours and handwringing )

What is amusing is that you disappeared then but now you are back with still no new data ?

Where is your evidence to the contrary ?

I was proved correct before , despite all the the claims that HCWs weren't getting vaccinated , again with statements from 'HSE management ' or from articles with those statements , a line taken out of context . Remember that?

I know I am correct now too ...but guess we will have to wait until the CSO come out with it in writing in a few months .

No doubt it will be hidden somewhere on a back page or in a not very widely read journal like the previous article about the 98% booster uptake rate among healthcare workers in the Irish Medical Times.

Guess it's not a big news story when it shows how some people take their work and their responsibilities seriously ..

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Going for my 3 rd booster tomorrow . I was in no rush but decided now to get it

can anyone tell me if all boosters offered now are bivalant vaccines ?

Ok, so we're back to taking your word for it. Got ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There was a lady today from HSE on radio imploring health care workers to get the 2nd booster. I think she said takeup was 25% despite a push over the last 2 months.

She said they set up specific clinics for healthcare workers to encourage takeup.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Cluedo , the same lady who has been ignoring stats of infected workers ...see my other posts

It doesn't account for the missing 75%.

They will struggle to hit 50%. We are half way thru winter so the eligible health care workers that don't want it will hardly take it now.

I don't believe the 25%

This is what I am talking about..

Last half of my reply to Furze99 above.

Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

I got booster before Christmas and was glad to do so. I maybe a bit out of step, but I generally take my advice on medical matters from medical folks rather than the person in the pub. I am also glad to live in a first world country where my medical system offers vaccines. I also took the flu one, it was no burden either. Certainly it will do me no harm and may help other vulnerable folks in the the community. But hey, what do public health professionals know …

From the CSO vaccination statistics you posted:

"Nearly all employees (98%) in the Human Health & Social Work (Q) sector had received a booster, 75% had received Booster 1 and 23% had received further Boosters."

Not sure how this data is proving anything you're saying. The HSPC slides have no breakdown of healthcare workers as far as I can see.

Let's break it down another way.

The first booster was authorised for healthcare workers in November 2021.

By 24th December, Stephen Donnelly was congratulating HCW's on their uptake of the 1st booster.

Fast-forward to 2022 and the 2nd booster is approved for HCW on September 1st for HCWs, a whole 2 months earlier compared to 2021. And as of this week, uptake is around 25%.

That drop in uptake cannot be explained away just by eligibility from prior infections alone.

Whether you believe it or not, the HSE data on vaccines is accurate. They're not writing it down on paper.

I am not saying that the data is inaccurate, jeez, for the third time!

The interpretation by hse managers and what they say on media is what I am talking about.

She said herself previously that they didn't have accurate figures for healthcare workers because they are not giving the vaccines in a dedicated setting by and large so people are not necessarily registering as hcws when they go into a walk in to get their jab.

So they can't say how many if they are not recording..and they certainly are not, rspecially covid infections right now .

It will come out in the wash at the end of the day but the full figures are not there yet.

Sure why do you think Trolleywatch was set up originally? HSE were manufacturing those numbers waiting, hiding patients in dayrooms and cupboards!

I trust the data but after 40 years experience with HSE management and their spin I have more than earned the right to be sceptical of everything they say and especially with regards to their workforce.

UK winding down booster for healthy under 50s:

Lack of demand apparently...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

Bill G. reportedly said that there is a number of problems with the current mRNA jabs as they don’t block the infection, are not effective against new variants and the protection that they provide is very short-lived. That is actually surprising to see him say that. I would have to think he sold his stock in BioNTech.

The push for vaccines is going to pitter out.

He thinks that the next big thing is going to be a covid inhaler/blocker type of product, which will probably be considered as an alternative to masks. A technology that will be useful as a first protection in the next pandemic.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Advertisement