Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

No you got it. They released it around mid November. Got one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Fyi . I got a text for another booster. I rang HSE to clarify which variant of vaccine I would be given. Operator said all HSE vaccine centres now have the newly adapted vaccines, but some doctor surgeries and pharmacies are still giving out the older vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I got a text for a booster today too. I was surprised as I thought they weren't offering any further boosters to under 50s. It's only 3 months since I had Covid anyway, so I'm not eligible yet either way, but I will get it in January if they are making it available

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭glut22

Does anyone know if you can pick the vaccine at the vaccination centres I.e. pfizer or modern?

Don't think so. It's whatever is opened in the centre on a particular day.

• Advertisement

I'm under 50 also. Had to ask the guy on the phone how many had I had already. It's been a year, but hadcovid in the summer so just 5 months ago.

Is everyone under 50 receiving a text about boosters, or is it targeted to those with high risk conditions?

The text I received states "people at higher risk of Covid-19 illness can get their next booster now". (It also refers to newly adapted vaccines now giving broader protection)

So am I on a high risk list according to the HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Think you must be on a list, haven't heard anything about a general comms.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

OK. I am definitely high risk, but I was not on any lists previously. Just unsure how I am now on a list. I had to wait until my age group previously.

• Advertisement

So you got a second booster from a pharmacy? And you're not high risk?

I had asthma as a child, but beyond that, no. Second booster, yes. Had the first in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I got the text too but wouldn't be over 50 or high risk.

I rang the HSE today about the text and they said it was sent to those on the High Risk list and yes, my profile is marked as High Risk. They couldn't tell me why I wasn't previously in the priority group for the original vaccination course and first booster, or why exactly I'm high risk now. Apparently it just states due to medical conditions, but not which one or who would have flagged it.

I don't understand why I would be on a high risk list now; I don't have any underlying conditions nor am I immunocompromised. I didn't even register that I had Covid with the HSE when I had it in March. Unless my GP did without telling me but I highly doubt that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Hm no text here yet.Interesting, I assumed under 50s wouldn't be offered it any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

i got that text. Went in got the booster. When i registered with them i had to talk wth a doctor as i had no serious condition on the computer. i talked with them and got the booster. Happy to be boosted.

So there was no explanation or reason as to why you got the text?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Just wondering how many vaccines has everyone now had in total and a rough age and whether you're high risk or not.

Ive just had my latest booster - Pfizer Bivalent BA4/BA5

This is my fifth shot in total.

Had 2 Astra Zeneca as my primary dose ending June 2021

Booster was Pfizer in December 2021

Got Covid in-between around June 2022

Next Booster September 2022

Latest booster today, December 2022

Age 39, at risk group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I think I was just in the age bracket. A lot of people aren’t taking up the booster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I had bad asthma as a child but it has been very mild in the past 20 years. However, when I caught covid last Jan (just a couple of weeks after my first booster) I had a lot of shortness of breath and a feeling of chest tightness. 4 weeks of that, maybe more...

I decided that I would be best to take a second booster to be on the safe side. I obviously still have some remnants of the old asthma weakness in my system.

I'm not on any lists and I'm only 41, but I went into the HSE vaccine booking system and grabbed a slot at my local vaccination centre just today. At the centre, they asked the usual questions; "If you are not the right age, are you in a vulnerable group or working in a healthcare setting?", when I said I had asthma they let me right in. But just before getting vaccinated, the lady at the desk brought up my details and asked if my Doctor had advised me to get this booster, and if not why hadn't I had a conversation and referral from my doctor? I mentioned again that when I got covid, the effects lasted many weeks and my doctor informally recommended taking up a booster when possible as I'm in a potentially at risk group. She said it's good to have a referral from the doctor if you aren't on the "official" list of people who are getting vaccinated. But then she took me at my word and let me right in.

So decide for yourself if you have asthma and feel you're in the at-risk group and didn't get a chance to visit your GP.

Got my second booster yesterday. It was the new Pfizer one. They confirmed I'm listed as Cohort 7. Glad to get it as everyone around me seems to be sick with Covid at the moment and buses are full if people coughing everywhere. But frustrating that I was not included in Cohort 7 for the original doses as Occupational Health made me work from home through 2020 and 2021 until I was finally called with my age group in August 2021.

I was all prepared to feel very sick today as I was really affected by the first booster last December, but other than a stiff arm I'm fine. Not sure that's a good thing for my immune response though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

i booked in with gp in November for flu vaccine and he offered me a covid booster while I was there as he had some needing to be used. I am a carer under 50. Not vulnerable myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Boosters open to 18-49 year olds now. Interesting to see the demand for them.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Finally :)

Couldn't understand why it had been a year since my last vaccine, immunity long gone, heading into winter, and couldn't get a vaccine even if I wanted one.

I'd imagine demand would be at least the demand for the flu jab?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,280 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are there any figures on how many 18-49 year olds with no underlying medical conditions are in hospital right now because of Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Not so sure. As far as I can recall the take-up for the second booster for 50-60 yos was poor even amongst healthcare workers. At a complete guess I doubt 50% of the 18-49 bracket will bother. Interesting to see though.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I wonder how many on older age brackets or with underlying issues are in hospital having contracted Covid from someone in the 18 -49 bracket?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Damien360

I had always thought that until I was attending a funeral for a older man that died (natural causes) just a few weeks ago. Although masks were worn by most of the older people, they were pulled down for a chat, a hug,a handshake and a kiss on the cheek. All back to the family home after wedged together like peas in a pod without the masks seen at church. I'm not a big attender of mass (once a year if lucky) so I'm not sure if the mask thing is enforced/encouraged by the church. I don't think the spread of covid can be leveled at younger groups anymore.

Advertisement