Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

By my rough maths…as of May last year 14.89 % of the prison population here are non Irish. Helen McEntee the then minister for Justice provided that answer when it was asked in the Dáil.

roughly 12.9% of people here are non Irish nationals.

so it’s fair and accurate to say it’s a worryingly disproportionately high number.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Why do Irish twitter and so many other Irish people complain about the supposed far right, when all these refugees and asylum seekers that these people support bringing in, in their droves, are actually far right?

For example, only 14% of Ukrainians think homosexuality should be accepted in society.

54% of Ukrainians think unfavourably towards the Roma community

Only 57% of Ukrainians think it is very important that women have the same rights as men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I dont think the percentage of people who cant speak english in America is increasing. The latest census states 8.2% cant speak English "very well" but that doesnt mean they cant speak English at all. Not having English as a primary language doesnt mean you cant speak English at all.

i would say there was a much higher percentage of people who had no English when there was mass immigration of Italians and Irish in the 19th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

You're forgetting One crucial detail here. Illegals don't participate in polls like this because they're afraid of being found out.

True though unlike alot of European languages I think English, because of the American Hegemony, has a more global reach that I doubt you will ever see a significant percentage of immigrants in Ireland not having English compared to the amount of immigrants not having Swedish or Italian in their respective countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why do people who never gave a crap about womens and lgbt rights suddenly feign concern in order to opress foreigners though?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You know it's just such a fantastically diverse world. Some homosexuals don't care about trans rights, some women don't care about foreigners rights, some trans activists don't care about homosexuals when they redefine sexual attraction, and so on. So basically who cares, it's the points that are made that matter not who or even why they are making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We all know its not a genuine concern at all though really. Just another stick to beat foreigners with.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

20% of private new builds allocated to social housing. Many will be provided at almost no cost to jobless locals and foreigners.

What about folks paying full whack mortgages and 50% taxes to subsidise the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭batman_oh

deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

The far left are an increasing worry on this issue, Paul Murphy talking about "acquiring" property to house refugees.

All adds up to making life harder and harder for working tax payers.

Thankfully the media realise the danger of the far left and restrict this fringe groups media time..........

Why do people who care about women's and lgbt rights suddenly ignore them when it comes to other cultures beliefs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Same with the blind spot they have with regards to Islamic fundamentalists and their hatred of women, Homosexuals and anyone who they view as infidels. Public beheadings are OK because feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What about folks paying full whack mortgages and 50% taxes to subsidise the rest.

What about them? There are very few people in Ireland, apart from those few who are already incredibly wealthy, paying an effective tax rate of 50% on their income, and even less among those are paying full whack mortgages. Do you expect anyone should feel any sympathy for them or something?

I don’t have an issue with 20% of private new builds being allocated for social housing, regardless of whether their tenants are jobless locals or foreigners. I don’t expect anyone should feel any sympathy for them either.

I’ll bet you can guess which party is in favour of introducing a wealth tax by way of increasing revenue in order to cover the costs of providing for public services in what is widely regarded as a low tax country -

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/08/31/recommendation-to-increase-take-from-wealth-property-and-inheritance-taxes/

Increasing taxes is inevitable, because Government isn’t currently raising enough from taxes to cover the costs of public services -

https://www.socialjustice.ie/article/effective-tax-rates-after-budget-2022-and-why-ireland-remains-low-tax-country

Means there are more likely to be even more people who will be looking to be provided with housing at no cost, whether they be jobless locals, foreigners, or people who are employed but are on low incomes who pay a very low effective tax rate and are reliant on schemes like HAP and medical cards, etc.

You’d want to be some miserable excuse for a human being if you’re on an effective tax rate of 50% with a full whack mortgage complaining about people who are dependent upon welfare.

hahaha 'increasing taxes is inevitable'

Never enough for the people who want other peoples money.

I find it investor /increasingly annoying when the "pay your pensions" line is trotted out.

Taxpayers, working long hours are finding it increasingly difficult to justify having multiple kids with high tax, high mortgages and high childcare fees. It's the kids of tax payers who are more likely to pay future pensions, then people arriving in without papers or in low work intensity families.

Ahh hold on before you lose the run of yourself altogether. You’ve been complaining about the lack of places in schools for as long as I care to remember. How do you imagine public services like education, healthcare and housing are funded exactly?

The reason why there’s so little investment in public services is because there’s so little taken in taxation. That’s why tax increases are inevitable, not because anyone wants your pittance in personal taxes that you or anyone else pays on any income. Everyone pays some form of tax on their income, regardless of how much their income is, that’s why your headline tax rate of 50% is meaningless. You’re not paying anything close to 50%, most people aren’t.

The country would have far superior public services if we were, as opposed to high earners having the ability to pay for services privately, and people on low incomes or welfare having to depend on the State. Pay for your own children’s education privately and you’ll know all about the cost of education instead of expecting other people’s money to pay for it. You won’t have to worry about a place for your children in school then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

To be honest, the Government isn't spending what we currently give them that well, that we should be donating any extra to them. 

Nobody is giving or donating taxes, Revenue aren’t a charity.

For the middle class, yes, but not for the Rich which is why SFs wealth tax will never be a runner, the Rich will just avoid it.

• Advertisement

Ahh you wouldn’t mind avoiding taxes, I’d encourage anyone to try and reduce their tax burden, but the way the lads were talking is more like tax evasion, as if anyone has any choice in the matter as to how much they owe Revenue. That’s an entirely different thing - tax evasion, end up on Revenue’s naughty list at that sort of behaviour -

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/press-office/press-releases/2022/pr-120622-tax-defaulters.aspx

To a certain extent but the middle class would never be able to afford the tax advisors to make themselves as tax efficient as the rich. The wealth gap between the rich and middle class has increased but yet more tax burden is placed on the middle classes to pay for the public services that everyone in society enjoys access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They certainly seem to be working for one going by the amount of money they collect that’s gifted away to enable the wellbeing of so many non citizens.

Bit more nuanced than that though.

The middle classes can well afford tax advisors to advise them on how to make themselves tax efficient, it’s just a fact that the middle class generally doesn’t have as much wealth as the rich to begin with. But as for the idea that there’s more of a tax burden placed on the middle class, I’d be needing to quantify what you’re thinking of when you refer to the middle class.

In terms of income anyways, €60k is the median household income in Ireland, with somewhere between 14-17% on income above €100k, who would be classed as rich, and then wealthy are those 2% with incomes approaching the levels maninasia was alluding to earlier in suggesting they’re paying a 50% effective tax rate. That 2% of people are paying more in income tax than those earning below what would put them in the middle class bracket, those on less than €35k annual household income.

It’s also worth noting that while the middle class makes up 60 odd % of the people who contribute a greater tax burden (by virtue of the numbers of people in that class), they also take advantage of the greatest amount of State transfers (public spending on welfare, housing, education and healthcare, etc) -

The middle classes are of course beloved of pundits and politicians, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar among them as he famously based his 2017 Fine Gael leadership run on an appeal to the "people who get up early in the morning".

To be fair to Leo, it would be foolish for any politician to ignore a group that accounts for 60.4pc of the population and pays the bulk of taxes. 

And there is political capital in identifying them as those who "aspire to something better for themselves and their families".

These people, the Taoiseach said, are those who "feel they pay for everything, but qualify for nothing". 

Yes, they do pay 62.3pc of all taxes according to the OECD, but the report also shows that those who give also receive the biggest chunk of state transfers at 54.1pc.

In fact it is the State's relatively progressive taxation and transfer system that props up the broad middle-class base here, transforming Ireland from one of the least equal countries into one of the most as the rich pay a higher chunk of income tax than in most other countries, while low-earners get most of the tax credits.

(Source: Irish Independent website)

It’s why I wouldn’t be looking down my nose at people in less fortunate circumstances than my own, or complaining about their being dependent upon the State, or bigging myself up because I pay more taxes than someone else (that’s really not the great boast anyone who claims it thinks it is!). In fact, anyone who considers themselves middle class should be counting their blessings instead of complaining and comparing themselves to other people, as our tax system in Ireland means that, as Bríd Heffernan of Chartered Accountants of Ireland puts it -

"In the Irish context, we have what is known as the 80:20 rule where, broadly speaking, 80% of the tax take is generated from 20% of the earners," said Bríd Heffernan, Leader of Tax and Public Policy at Chartered Accountants of Ireland.

(Source: RTÉ website)

You’re right though about a wealth tax, the wealthy simply wouldn’t pay it, their accountants and tax consultants would find ways and means to help their clients avoid paying taxes they don’t have to. You’ll never guess where the wealthiest accountants and tax consultants reside? 😁

Chartered and certified accountants and tax experts earned a median income of €56,473 in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown in 2016, the highest in the country, followed by Dublin City (€54,392) and Clare (€51,778).

Business sales executives earned a median income of €43,233 in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown in 2016, the highest in the country, followed by Fingal (€41,076) and Dublin City (€40,970).

Financial managers and directors earned a median income of €96,846 in Cork City in 2016, followed by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown (€89,071) and Dublin City (€86,623).

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown had the lowest proportion of households where the majority of gross income came from working age social welfare at 5.8% in 2016, see Map 1.3. Meath had the next lowest proportion at 10.3%, followed by Fingal at 10.5%.

In contrast, one in five households in Longford (20.4%), Donegal (20.2%) and Carlow (18.6%) received the majority of their income from working age social welfare payments.

Note that a household where over half of its gross income came from working age social welfare (excluding child benefits and state pension) was considered majority of income.

(Source: CSO website)

But to address I suppose the real question - just how multiculturally diverse is an area like Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown? It turns out they’re not too bad -

Nationality | Population

United Kingdom - 11,927

Poland - 3,120

United States - 2,181

India - 1,919

Philippines - 1,325

China - 1,223

France - 1,178

Spain 1,024

Romania - 953

Germany - 926

(Source: Wikipedia entry for Dún Laoighre-Rathdown)

They even managed an Africa Day in 2022 -

Ola Majekodunmi was born in Lagos, Nigeria and lives in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown. She is a broadcaster, freelance journalist, Gaeilgeoir, public speaker, creator, co-founder of Beyond Representation and Board of Directors member of Foras na Gaeilge, Dublin Film Festival and a member of Galway Film Centre’s National Talent Academy Steering Committee. A graduate of IADT, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council are delighted that Ola is our Africa Day Ambassador for 2022.

(Source: Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council website)

I’m cherry-picking of course, from one of the wealthiest areas in the country, but it’s enough evidence to call into question whether the whole “multiculturalism bad” narrative isn’t just a case of a small portion of the middle class who are cherry-picking what suits their many narratives and hoping to gain support from the people they have little interest in otherwise.

Oh please, €64 Billion in tax revenue alone -

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/government-predict-record-tax-revenue-of-e64-billion-despite-inflation-pressures-1386648.html

€11 Billion provided to cushion the impact of the rising cost of living -

https://www.politico.eu/article/ireland-11-billion-surge-cost-of-living-paschal-donohoe/amp/

€3 Billion to accommodate Ukrainian refugees -

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/irish-politics-today-3-billion-26799616?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

And it’s already been mentioned that of the number of people in employment, nearly 20% are of the non-citizen variety. They’re entitled to the same provisions for their wellbeing as anyone else on the same basis that they contribute as much as citizens do and don’t benefit to anything like the degree that citizens have done who grew up here and had their education, healthcare and welfare paid for. It’s not as though anyone springs forth from their mothers womb as a fully-fledged taxpayer with the attitude that only for them the Irish economy would collapse. They get that attitude from somewhere 😒

Exactly, they waste it on budget overspends, social bonuses, HSE is actually well funded also. Billions now on these asylum and refugee policies

One wishes ypu would cherry pick more so we wouldnt have to wade through an ocean of cherries trying to read your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

From the horses mouth. How would this not lead to civil strife and ghettoisation ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Very violent incident. What will these thugs do when they land in our towns and villages?

Advertisement