Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just accidentally ended up on first page of this thread and 2nd comment is praising the news of works and saying to expect it in 10 years....that was in 2009. Finny and sad!

Does anyone know if the slip from n25w to the interchange is going to be raised? There's the edge of a structure right beside the existing off-ramp, and it seems to be much higher than the road as it currently is. I think its st04 which will seemingly have beams in place over the next month or so. Or is it just that this link is for little island to city and so is the same height as the main carriageway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Screening off places of interest is quite common in Europe, it removes the temptation for drivers to be distracted or engage in rubbernecking which does slow traffic and also increases the probability of wandering out of lane and crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I do think in this case that the primary reason for slowing is the perceived narrowing of the road.

It probably contributes to some of the congestion. Drivers slowing will create waves of stop start flowing backwards through traffic from the flyover which gets worse and worse with increased traffic.

I don't disagree with that assumption, it certainly would be one of the contributing factors given the incompetence of so many drivers to manage their vehicles.

The standard of driving is so bad in this country, particularly when it comes to using the full potential of a vehicle. One sees so many drivers concentrating on the road a few meters ahead of the vehicle and holding the steering wheel in a white-knuckled grip instead of sitting relaxed, letting the vehicle do the work and scanning the road ahead for potential challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

I did think when it was screened for the Douglas Shopping Centre renovations that it seemed to flow better (All of Douglas flowed better but thats a different discussion!, with some decent design you could screen it and make it seem more open. Plenty architectural tricks for that with shapes and light.

• Advertisement

I know it's a little off-topic.

Why are the road surfaces of the northbound and southbound carriageways of the M8 at junctions 17 and 18 marked N8 while all roadside signs say M8? The road markings are fresh so do not predate the upgrading of the road to motorway status in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

It becomes the N8 at the last junction, so I guess they're signing for the N8 which continues as N road from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The road opened as N8, and was re-classified as a motorway afterwards, so the original lane markings said N8. When it came to renovate the lining on the road the crew just went over the existing markings: to change them would mean burning off the original "N" on each lane and replacing it with new paint, which takes much longer than just touching up what’s there already.

Unbelievable, those markings should have been left to fade away to nothing and not touched up. It's not as if there aren't enough other signs in place to inform drivers what road they are driving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Anyone know what the final layout will be for traffic exiting the tunnel northbound?

I'd estimate 80÷ of the traffic is using the left hand lane (town and east cork) in the existing layout which causes the left hand lane to back up and the right hand lane to flow well, even during peak hours. In theory this shouldn't be an issue if the interchange is really free flow but allowing the right hand lane to head to East Cork would make sense.

Will they keep the existing lane layout once the work on the interchange has been fully completed?

• Advertisement

Have a look here https://www.dunkettle.ie/media/1776/dki-labels.jpg zoom in and you will see there will be total free flow. M8-bound traffic exiting the tunnel will be going under the eastern section of the present fly-over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,940 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Latest Newsletter stating that overall works to be complete by Feb 24.

Id image this year, especially over the summer that the majority of the links to be finished and open to traffic.

Thx, yeah aware it's designed to be free flow but with the majority of traffic using 1 of the 2 bores presently it may prove to be a problem if they keep the current layout.

The final layout looks like traffic heading for the M8 will have to be in the correct lane before the south entrance to the tunnel as it looks like there will be little or no opportunity to lane change between the exit of the tunnel and the interchange.

I see the whole interchange working very well once drivers get used to it and negotiate it with confidence at the appropriate speed. Last-minute lane jumping is unlikely to be a profitable exercise.

Feb 24 would be slightly ahead of schedule I think. As you say, I think the links will all be open ahead of this. The later work will be landscaping / surfacing work etc to bring it up to final standard.

Tunnel to City link to be opened by end if Feb 23. Assume free flow which will greatly help with the left lane going through the tunnel.

Interesting looking at the camera pointing towards the tunnel. They have built up a large bank of rubble to the right of the south bound carriageway before the tunnel entrance.

I cannot understand what its purpose is. Is it just temporary housing?

Had requested if an overview of proposed link openings coukd be provided in the weekly emails, but it got pushed back as there's so many moving parts/unexpected delays.

What did come back was that Link I should open early February, with Link B by end of February. Nothing then until hopefully Q3 where Links A, D (northbound & southbound), F, K, L, J and M will open at the same time. Final Links (P and C - so n25w to m8n and little island to m8n) will be by end of year. Not all links will be 100% final alignment, so may be some smaller adjustments afterwards.

Going to be sone change at 1 point in time.

Map showing road links below.

By saying link A, I assume that it will be Q3 for fully free flow?

The opening of Link B free flow from tunnel north towards town should make a huge difference alright.

I'm still convinced we could see traffic backed up from the lights at the Dunkettle roundabout into the tunnel at peak times though.

Yeah sorry was in work when did earlier post. All those will be free flow at that point according to email, but not necessarily the final alignment be it vertical or horizontal. No idea how it works out in practice, no doubt it'll be fairly simple in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

The are due to start work on a new retaining wall structure (RW03) on the right as you come out of the JLT northbound. This is just across that little works area from where the soil is stockpilled so I'm guessing it's going to be used as infill for the retaining wall when it goes up. The wall was mentioned in this weeks newsletter as it involves some lane restrictions in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Looks to me (on the south facing cameras) that they are going to move the southern part of the roundabout north a little bit, and then build the rest of the embankment for the N25W to M8N movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

I deny ever making that statement above!!! :-)

There's a fella in a Hitachi after taken into that mound this morning and flattening it... In fairness he did move a good bit of it over to the other side of the space. it looks like it's been used to raise the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Risoc

It was constant changes and openings there for a few months. Just the minor openings next month now. After that, it looks like one Big Bang opening of everything then. I reckon there’ll be problems with m8s traffic heading for Lr Glanmire Road thinking they still have a roundabout instead of heading East.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Almost every opening someone's thought "there'll be problems with...", one day of teething problems and it's grand

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Is there any talk of any monitoring the tunnel/after the tunnel northbound by AGS?

Nearly had an incident this morning with a van that had traveled up the right lane but was intent on going to Little Island/Midleton but not willing to wait the 30s as the rest do, he hit the indicator but there wasn't sufficient space to get into the gap but he turned in anyway, I was fortunate the driver behind me was paying attention and had slowed enough that when I hit the brakes he didn't rear end me.

To the driver behind, thanks for better driving ability than the driver in front!

I notice that there is still a lot of last-minute barging going on by drivers using the M8 lane up to the roundabout and wanting to go to the N25 East lane.

The M8 lane from before the south entrance to the tunnel should be marked M8 ONLY and a row of these https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.9051724,-8.2851601,3a,75y,149.53h,78.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTKzU1Z5lAlX1wjgtZ9r0WA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en bollards fitted from the north end of the tunnel to the roundabout.

Any driver wanting to get to the N25, after exiting the tunnel, can then do a circuit of the roundabout and emergency vehicles can still do an emergency lane change if using blues & twos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A solid line or something should happen. At the moment it is completely legal (albeit immoral) to do last minute lane barging to skip the queue.

Nice video on todays progress update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Interesting: I never realised that the southern roundabout would have two different arms/exits off it, for Tunnel and M8 respectively. I always assumed it was two routes originating from the one shared roundabout exit. I wonder why they did it this way, but possibly to allow for easier diversions in future, in times of tunnel maintenance!

Advertisement