Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jacinda Ardern to step down as New Zealand PM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

So the tin foil hate wearing, covid whack jobs don't like her. She must have been doing something right then.

More whataboutery. But at least you didn't pretend I said something that I didn’t say this time.

People don’t chose to have a hernia.

So for me, not a good PM or leader at all. Very undedicated. I also suspected she did it for media likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Are you suggesting that if she was dedicated, she should have had an abortion?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That's true , and that is why the subject of her taking 6 weeks off to have a baby is entirely irrelevant. It is enshrined in equality legislation the world over , so that parents cannot be penalised for spending much needed and healing time with their children .

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

Interesting to see the levels of vitriol for Jacinda Ardern.

“Horrible dose”

“Utter sh1tebag”

“Woke authoritarian pain in the arse”

Depressing stuff.

If being a fan of Jacinda qualifies me for the Woke Brigade, I trust I’m in good company ✌🏻

• Advertisement

And someone else pretending I said something that I didn’t.

Wasn't the pregnancy planned? I believe she said it was when she announced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I can see why some around here laud her and not one person has mentioned it I think.

She is very much like our own greens.

She is vehemently anti agriculture and has tried to destroy one of the biggest industries in her own country, much like the greens want to do here.

She slapped an upto $5000 tax on purchase of utes, which if anyone here as ever been in rural New Zealand would know they are mainstay of rural life.

EVs are not an answer and her government's typical green type shytehousery "that electric utes were just around the corner" was quickly contradicted by multiple manufacturers.

Likewise her proposed "fart tax" would cripple New Zealand agriculture.

I agree with anti covid stances like mask wearing, lockdowns of some sort, vaccination so please don't come the shyte about being anti vaxxer conspiracy loons or whatever as being a response to why I can't stand the fecker.

Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

How do you know she CHOSE to become pregnant ? Wow you really have the inside track here . Is that in another one of those conspiracy rags that you have been reading ?

And it is none of your business whether she chose or not , as it is a human bodily right .

People can choose to have elective surgery and take time off from their job and men do all the time,as do women.

I got you right the first time . Its whataboutery to everyone else calling out misogyny on your part .

You didn't even answer my questions about those comments you made earlier , or to the other 2 posters .

It's this trolling that is aimed at people in public service , not just women , that has people leaving in droves .

Why should anyone read your posts and take anything you say seriously when you make ridiculous comments , and then refuse to explain what you mean?

You know there are people everywhere having babies , breastfeeding back at work , taking time off for paternity leave as well and still fully functioning members of society and continuing successfully in their chosen careers .

It is your mindset that has caused problems for our country in the past and thanks to equality legislation the people that still think this way are finding it cold out there on the ledge .

That is why they congregate on social media with their other little buddies to try and bully and troll anonymously anybody who represents a more liberal agenda. Anything to feel powerful.

That is why this thread on a fairly innocuous hardworking woman politician attracts this sort of pathetic comment above . ( first quote , for reference ) .

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Kiwi John

You forgot having a baby and just for the "media likes".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I trust your company is entirely predictable as is who's not.

The truth is the majority of posters on thread have no idea where she or her government stood on the standard policy areas that concern citizens (without looking them up). Yet have a strong opinion on her.

From reporting today, it appears her party are predicted to take a pasting in the next GE, even while she remains personally popular. Should such an event have come to pass, it's unlikely she would have remained leader of her party. In effect, she jumped before she was pushed, thus ensuring her reputation was not damaged by a poor election.

That it itself shows strategic thinking.

• Advertisement

I explained exactly what I meant. I think being a PM of a country is not a normal job and taking time off to have a baby is not something that makes a good politician. Nothing else.

I understood the pregnancy was planned but that was in response to someone trying to suggest I think she should have an abortion when I never said anything like that. More arguing about things I didn’t say. I’m starting to believe it’s a deliberate tactic

I don’t know why you still believe I haven’t answered you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,020 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

She was losing support through unpopular domestic policy.

Her male predecessor also did the exact same thing as she's just done.

She's popular outside of NZ because she's female, and she was zero tolerant when Covid struck, and people liked that policy at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Eh? New Zealanders probably spent the least time in lockdown of any developed nation (bar the let 'er rip policy of Sweden)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Pretty swell how she has the boxroom Ghengis Khan wing of boards eye-twitching.

That alone makes her a winner 🏆

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I always thought she came across badly in speeches and interviews. Smug, dismissive, haughty, impersonal, and arrogant. Generally unlikeable.

Whatever about her record or politics I think that's the reason she's been ousted, her personal style, which clearly wasn't what she wanted btw despite her saying she has nothing left in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Living in NZ I'm glad she is going as I never liked her and covid response aside her policies have been abysmal failures. Child poverty levels, her personal goal, have dramatically worsened due to the policies enacted. There has been a systematic rollout of PR machines within all departments at the expensive of services and interfering with local govt on the like of water infrastructure is being railroaded through despite near universal opposition.

However the replacement options don't exactly inspire either, labour are in trouble generally and I don't see them recovering and the Nats just want to roll back everything and would love a US style capitalist labour market where business owners can do what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I definitely asked you a question, I never suggested anything. So if she were a male politician it would be fine to have a child but because she is female and must take 6 weeks leave it is unacceptable? Or should all political leaders refrain from intercourse while in office, or just the women? Please explain your rules for leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Don't know enough about her. What I do know about her seems heart was in the right place. Could not tell you how effective her domestic policy was. The comments about Gov controlling narratives was a bit big brother. Their covid policy seems to have been a bit nuts. Geography played more for them than the lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

'She did it for media likes' might not be the ugliest post of the thread, but it's surely the thickest.

• Advertisement

”I never suggested anything” then goes on to suggest something I never said.

Your questions are constantly on things I didn’t say and using scenarios that purposely misrepresented my opinion. It’s a common tactic from those that argue with emotion over logic. And every one of them I answered and you keep accusing me of not answering. You have no interest in my answers. Just your next made of accusation.

If a male politician, particularly a PM, had a child and took 6 weeks off I would have the exact same problem with it.

This is my opinion, not my rule. And it’s about personal responsibility and priorities. I believe they have contraception in New Zealand.

People have done it before. And judging by the fawning over her by the media and a big section of the voters it got her a lot of likes.

A politician doing something for political reasons it’s very common. Her gender doesn’t make her immune from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No. It shows she’s utterly spineless and self serving. A real leader would stand with his/her team no matter what. Be willing to own and stand over their decisions to the electorate.

Either way it’s great to see her fail. As no doubt kiwis agree- else they’d be re electing her

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I remember a a smirky video of her explaining the joyous simplicity of vaccine passes and how you’ll “be allowed” to everything once you get one. Pure evil but as we know the Covid lunatic fringe lap up that kind of crazed authoritarianism. “Kind” me arse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭donaghs

The international media thought NZ zero covid was great. All the people I know living there thought after a few months it was madness. That was the final straw for a lot of NZ people with Arden.

After a certain point common sense dictated that they'd have to open up to the world and accept living with COVID, but she ploughed on with it till the end of 2021. Only China went on longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a few years back she was presented as the model for woman can do it all and juggle home and work life. Is she now the model that they cant? she essentially said she is stepping down because she is tired. She'd have better said that her party or whoever wanted her out.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

If the world is hit by some other global catastrophe that kills millions of people and completely changes the way everyone has to live, yet NZ uniquely manages to navigate it with minimal casualties and minimal impact, then the guy born in the 60s would come to be quite well known too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Ardern grew deeply unpopular and was about to be trashed in the upcoming elections.

The 4-month-old is critically ill with a severe case of pulmonary valve stenosis, a heart valve disorder. The boy’s mother says she wants her son’s operation to take place without delay, but she has demanded that “safe blood” be used, with her lawyer saying that the family was concerned about blood containing traces of vaccines using new mRNA technology.

The New Zealand health service has denied the family’s request to use blood from unvaccinated volunteers and says that the vaccines pose no risk to donor supplies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭buried

Her cult of personality started being showcased on a global scale the minute she became Prime Minister. That happened in 2017, well before Covid-19 and the Christchurch Terrorist attacks. Here is the link to the Guardians live timeline to the New Zealand election showcase, no such live showcase for when Bill English was elected in 2016 for example. Just a small article in the same paper reporting on the same country a year beforehand.

Once again, only reason for her global platform was because she was young and female. Not policy or geo-political importance. That's what politics has become, Cults of personality.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement