Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jacinda Ardern to step down as New Zealand PM

• 19-01-2023 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

A formidable leader and wonderful role model. It’ll be interesting to see who replaces her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭foxsake

she was a horrible dose. her treatment of people during covid19 is testament to what an utter sh1tebag she was.

another of those feted by the western media for no other reason that she ticked the progressive woke checklist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭xper

recognising when to go before anyone is trying to oust you, as appears to be the case, would be just another example of her smart leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Yeah, its not like her party recently lost a by-election just before Christmas with a 30 point swing to the Conservative National Party. Smart leadership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,554 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I liked her because she drove the incels and conspiracy loons bonkers.

Pure Catnip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Have to say I’m bemused by the attention RTÉ gives that one.

• Advertisement

any examples of her “formidable” leadership?

She was a bang average politician from a small country the other side of the world

but because she was a young woman the media feted her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Delighted,she drove NZ(My home away from home ) into the ground with her ideals.

Best news of the day for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

More popular abroad than at home.

New Zealand is more unequal than when she arrived in power, housing is a big problem still, economic troubles, her party facing defeat.

She handled COVID well at the start, went on too long with that though. Single handedly brought labour to power when they were facing 4th place politically only a short time before.

Good speeches, some good actions but didn't change much or try to change much.

Can’t say I ever thought she was an impressive or - god save us, a “formidable” leader.

She seems the type that “suffers with her nerves”, full of anxiety.

a strange measure of liking somebody.

but the internet has opened my eyes to strangeness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It's very strange, people who have never been to NZ and have no idea if she's doing a good or a bad job think she's great!

I'm not criticising her, I've no idea how well she's doing either.

our media fete her , she is takes up space on our news sites here in ireland (and broader western nations) some of us are curious as a result.

I've seen plenty of her speeches to know what she is about and it's not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

When the going gets tough.......Jacinda quits and leaves someone else clean up her mess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rogber

Don't know what to make of her. The woke brigade give her too many bonus points cos she's a woman and says all the right things about diversity, LGBTQ etc.

The resentful angry white men brigade hate her for the same reason.

So in reality she's probably somewhere in the middle: a slightly above average leader who did some good and made some mistakes.

Anyway, I admire the way she has quit by just saying she's worn out. Far better than leaders whose sense of self importance would never let them do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭StevenToast

When Ryan Tubridy is falling over himself to praise her....that tells you everything you need to know....

A form of virtue signalling....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Her speech to the UN was chilling last year!!! Governments should control the flow of info!!! Dangerous woman, like Trudeau in Canada...the leaders we were told to admire and respect turned out to be something quiet different!!

You hating her because she was "woke" is pretty strange.

Isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

These sociopaths don’t quit having power over other people for no reason there must be something in the post for her

we will wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

She will come out with the obligatory, "Climate Change is the biggest threat to humanity" and/or "Gender Roles are oppressive" or some such and off she'll go to the UN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

She was in favour of reduced immigration into New Zealand. She kept it quite low. Wasn't too keen on refugees.

• Advertisement

Why did she increase the refugee quota by 50% so? 😕

If she wasn't keen on them like, I mean she didn't have to. Refugees can't really get to New Zealand so they have to be resettled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not feeling the love for Jacinda on this thread. All I'd say is pick a whole selection of political leaders around the world, countries big and small, and rate them in order of preference. Where on the line would Jacinda fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I would have thought an anti-refugee policy would have made her wildly popular on here but she was always loathed by the usual boards anti-woke types.

She seemed like a good honest politician to me, very good speaker and those who criticise her on covid, well I'm sure most countries could have handled that better in hindsight.

I didn't say that though - i said the media love her due to wokeness . is authoritarianism that part of being "woke"? maybe it is.

I defo hate wokeness but I also "hate" her ( to use your word) over her treatment of people during covid , her views on controlling people esp people with ideas that don't align to hers. Her glee of approval (if you watch the video) over NZ becoming a 2 tier society for vaxx'd and unvaxx'd showed her true colours - a horrible person

also even as a life long non smoker , I find her cigarette ban controlling and nanny state in the extreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

Last year NZ High Court ruled that Arden government's vaccine mandate represented a "gross violation of human rights".

Extremely divisive politician, popular only with people have no respect and no consideration for anyone coming from a different perspective.

very good speaker and those who criticise her on covid, well I'm sure most countries could have handled that better in hindsight

Really?

The country of about 5 million people has recorded fewer than 2,500 covid-19 fatalities. It has the lowest covid-related death rate in the Western world, according to Johns Hopkins University

Also packed stadiums and concerts there when the rest of the Western World was on some sort of lockdown.

I think they may have aced it.

Extremely divisive politician, popular only with people have no respect and no consideration for anyone coming from a different perspective.

beautifully put.

Sums her and her cheerleaders up perfectly

over her treatment of people during covid

You mean packed stadiums and lowest fatality rate in the Western World?

Well the authoritarian woke bitch!!!🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't know anything about how they handled it but on here and on the journal comments, two bastions of information, they always seem to slate her over her handling of covid. But yeah sounds like she did ok from what you're telling me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

You liked her because she was hated by some people.

I find this approach to politics odd.

Advertisement