Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Wired Solar CT clamp on the Zappi is mainly just to add that data logging facility to the MyEnergi app; its an optional extra. But as Manion says; you do also need a Grid CT clamp hardwired into the inverter, and this needs to be located between the main distro board and the meter.

Go with option 3 and have everything installed in your plant room. You just have to accept that there will be some disruption; if you get the right trades person that takes pride in the job; you would be shocked at how little dammage they can get away with; a big chunk of being a good electrician is cable routing; just make sure everything is chased into walls; dont accept conduite and your partner will never know it happened once its all repaired.

If your looking for a Huawei setup (Inverter and Battery) you likley won't get anywhere near that price. See a post I did yesterday with a breakdown of the prices. The guide price is really assuming that you are getting the cheapest inverter and battery possible.

You would be far better off just getting a 10mm2 or even 16mm2 SWA run into your plant room from your main board and having another sub distro board installed there (Also run several CAT6 cables for CT clamps). And then you just hook up all your gear to the plant room board.

Plant room without its own sub board is just silly. The whole point of the room is that your gonna install lots of equipment.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

As the solis uses a Rs485 meter for it's grid monitoring, a wirelss LoRa transceivers can be used to not have to hard wire the grid CT back to the inverter.

So that can be an option for people.

But I'd always prefer a hardwire vs wireless option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Would you have a reference to a suitable product? I assume you would need a received as well at the Inverter side. I see products like https://iot-shop.de/en/shop/nv-r718n17-netvox-r718n17-1-phase-current-sensor-75a-4318 but I'm missing how the signal gets to the inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

Thanks Mannion

Sorry I've obviously not been very clear in my description of my set up. The zappi is installed on the inside of my garage wall. The electricity meter cabinet is located directly across the drive on the house wall 18 metres away. The main consumer board is in a plant room situated towards the middle of the ground floor. Rather than run a 6mm2 cable from charger across drive to the meter cabinet / main consumer board, I took the supply from the garage sub board which is fed by a 6mm2 swa from the main board.

I'll talk to the solar guys about installation options but the 1st guy who looked at it said I should locate inverter and batteries in a small attic room with the immersion tank. I wasnt thinking at the time but this location is the furthest possible distance from the main consumer board located in the plant room so it would be extremely disruptive to link the inverter to the consumer board from that location. So if the garage is not convenient I have 2 options, locate inverter and batteries on the opposite side of the house attic and route cable from inverter to consumer board by taking the cable down the external wall and in through wall to reach the plant room, or locate inverter and batteries in plant room and link panels to inverter using the same route as above. As you say I'm sure regulations and / or practical technical considerations will dictate which is the best option.

On the max generation issue, I thought I understood how this works but evidently I was mistaken. I wasnt aware that an 8 or 8.4kwp solar system might exceed max generation threshold for a domestic set up. Is it possible therefore that I could be limited to a 6kwp system? That would be a pity given that I currently use in excess of 11k kw per year. Ive certainly seen a neighbour's ground based south facing system with 20 panels but maybe they are shaded a little by house. Presumably the solar suppliers could advise on max size of system for a south facing roof.

Sorry again for any confusion caused and silly questions but its great to have access to advice here prior to signing up with a supplier as I think a lot just want a signature and deposit paid and deal with the complications on installation day when theres no time to consider alternatives.

One final question, I have a fairly tall house probably more like a 2 1/2 storey and one guy suggested that I would have to pay approx €500 extra installation costs to cover the hiring of a 'cherry picker'. Is that a reasonable request?

• Advertisement

As per earlier post, apologies for confusion, my main consumer board is located in the plant room but unfortunately no cat 5 cable to be found! If only I could go back and start again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

i have a harvi with clamp lying spare at home if you are interest in buying.. didnt end up using in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

12 x 410W panels

1 x 6kWh hybrid inverter

1 x 5kWh battery

usual fittings + installation

(rounding up to obfuscate)

15,000 before grant excl BER

18,000 to take it to 18 panels

this seems a bit on the high side

I understand you set up now. Is their no cavities with your house to allow the routing of cables from the main consumer unit to the attic? In all instances I'd rather be running the AC cables as opposed to DC cables. I was similar to yourself with the main consumer unit in the middle of the house, and I though I was in luck with some vent cavities that ran the length of the house, but no such luck as there was a bend and they couldn't get it done. They ended up taking the AC cable from the Inverter down the exterior wall at the back of the house, in through one room, across the ceiling and into the consumer unit. A lot of this comes down to how handy you are or if you're willing to pay for things to be done neat, burying a cable is certainly doable to avoid it being seen inside but then leaves a painting and decorating bit. On the day of my installation there was a crew of 5 lads and when you have that many on site they won't be up for much chit chat on what way to route things so you'd be best served by having the prep work down in advance.

If you do bring the inverter to the main consumer unit, it will see the load presented by your EV, as such you will have the benefit of charging your car with excess energy. A big plus.

Regarding maximum. Your inverter will have a maximum rated PV Power, as you can we the 6KW Solis inverter has a Max of 8KWp. It's absolutely fine for you to over provision your Panels relative to your Inverter and it's the Inverter output that decides if you mean the requirements for connecting to the Grid. I bring this up purely because at 8.4KWp you would be fairly well over the recommended max for a Solis inverter (though obviously other brands exist). I myself have an 8.2KWp 20 panel installation but I'll never hit that peak, you probably will. You have two options 1) get 19 Panels or 2) Go for the black panels which are rated at 410Watts. You'd half the margin by which you're over.

Regarding export to the Grid you can export up to 6KWs but if you want to export more you, there is another process. A few people here have mega installations and again you have a choice when getting a second inverter of either paying the fees to connect more to the grid or installing another device on your own network which will ensure you don't export more than what you are allowed. As with everything in Ireland the minute you come off the beaten track with things, the more your take your chances.

Regarding a Cherry Picker, I believe the legislation is that anything over 2 stories cannot be accessed off a ladder. The crew that did mine had a scaffolding tower they erected as 20 panels is a min two day job.

Regarding sales, you've mentioned a couple times talking to sales people. I generally got a sinking feeling whenever I talk to sales people or silver tongued devils as I like to call them. I'd recommend avoiding any crowd with direct marketing or people calling door to door. You'll get a very one size fits all installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭DC999

Mine used scaffolding too which they had in the van. No extra costs. They didn't bring it specially for me. They only realised when they started that was needed as the gutters are old metal ones so ladders would be likely to break them. Wasn't spotted on the site visit.

• Advertisement

Assuming you have a standard single phase connection you are allowed to have up to 6kwh inverter; you can put 8.4kw of panels behind that inverter no problem as you will never export more than 6.

If you go with a huawei setup (or solar edge)and you have a battery anything over 6kw of solar will be directly used to charge the battery so you could be using / exporting 6kw and also charging the battery with 2.4kw.

if you don’t have a battery; anything over 6kw will simply not be used; you will see a flat line on your solar production graph at 6kw. But having 20 panels your winter production will be better.

you can’t have a separate AC connected battery with its own inverter, as this would put you over your limit of 6kw of inverter capacity; so you need to go with a hybrid inverter and a DC battery connected direct to the hybrid inverter to stay within the regs.

talking about high roofs; etc… all sales talk trying to justify the high price they are gonna quote ya. They are gonna need scaffolding or a cherry picker to do the job safely no matter how high the roof.

Just to emphasis again, electrical equipment should be operated within the stated manufactures tolerances to hit the stated lifetime expectations. Some 6KW inverters are only rated for 7KWp DC Power for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

@Manion

Great stuff

Unfortunately my house is all concrete including internal walls and 1st floor so impossible to retro fit cabling without serious disruption which wont be tolerated! So my only option seems to be identical to your set up. Im not in a position to do any of this prep work so I will have to pay for it At least if I have to chase walls for cabling I'll be able to run a couple of cat 6 cables as well which would solve a couple of other problems I have been putting off for some time now.

Great so I can install 8kwp worth of panels with the 6kw inverter. Thats what I was thinking but again the conflation of kwp, and kw and kwhs gets me all confused, not to mind when the discussion gets into AC / DC volts and amps, love the band but not the units of measurement!

I hear you on the salesmen pitch. A neighbour signed up recently on the basis of a phone call and salesman visit. No idea what they have signed up for or how the installation process will work other than they are going to save on electricity costs. It really is a buyer beware market out there at present

@HotSwap

Thanks for clarifications. I understand it better now. I will have a battery so I think I will proceed with a min of an 8kwp system and see what prices I can get. Will be interesting if different suppliers will mention additional costs for a cherry picker. The house walls are std 2 storey height. its just that the roof is taller than some other houses around me.

I suppose different crews have different ways of working. It's odd as it's not like they can work from the cherry picker, they'll need roof ladders and the like but then again a cherry picker makes it a lot handier to get materials up and onto the roof.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

We had access to a telehandler for mine, makes life so much easier lifting up 24 panels on a high shed roof.

Thats true but some other 6kw inverters are rated for 12kw of optimised panels as long as you have a high voltage DC battery connected. There is a vast difference in functionality between cheep equipment and premium equipment.

Fair play to creedp; they are informing themselves of the basics before they start to get the sales pitch from installers that might not have the customers best interests in mind.

your gonna find that some installers will simply disregard your opinions and preferences and just quote what suits them. If you do manage to find an installer that actually cares (investigates your annual electricity usage / models your proposed setup to give you an idea of what you can expect in terms of solar production / gives you some estimate of the ROI period of the system / listening to your concerns about where you want the equipment installed / etc…. They may be worth paying a bit extra for.

good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Abromavich

Got my panels installed yesterday. They managed to get all 15 (400W) panels on the roof so delighted I could get the full 6kwp system!

Any advice on the BER cert. My house is a new build and the original BER assesor who did the BER cert less than 2 years ago is looking for €375 for an updated cert to obtain the SEAI solar grant. Other assesors dont seem keen to take it on and are asking if I have: u-values or air tightness testing etc for the current house along with other relevent documentation. I dont want to end up with a worse rating.

Any advice or any good assesors members could recommend for reasonable price in the north Dublin area?

GDPR Data access request the original ber guy and get all the notes he has on your house. Then shop around. And keep the documents safe this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭The devils

I'll take a look when I get into work for the guys contact details I recently used and pm the details

I use him in October

Problem isn’t finding someone Cheeper. The issue is that unless you have documentation proving the specific U values of things like wall insulation / windows / doors / etc.. a BER assessor will just use generic values and you might end up with a lower rating and nothing will have changed in the house; so if you went out of you way and installed expensive windows and doors and extra wall insulation that will not be taken into account.

I think in this situation since it’s only 2 years; you should attempt to contact the builder to get the specs of the build; or do a GDPR request on the previous BER person and get your details so at least you know which values he plugged into the system the last time. but this will annoy them and prob put them on the defensive.

best option in this case is to prob just pay what he’s asking; and make sure you get all the values off him this time around.

Unfortunately there's no requirement to retain the data on the assessors side, and one of the ways the be compliant is to simply delete the information. You previous assessor may simply no long have the needed documentation. In theory a request should work towards the original builder but they have up to 90 days to provide the information.

Thanks for the info Hotswap. I never recieved any documentation when I moved into the house - all I recieved was the BER cert (A2). Would someone other than the assesor have the documentation on the specs of the house? If I went with someone cheaper and ended up with a rating worse than A2 would there be any issue recieving the SEAI grant?

That's exactly what happened to me, went from an A2 to an A3 after solar due to lack of supporting documents for the heat pump. It didn't affect the grant. Another accessor won't be able to source a signed commissioning report. The entire system is fucked tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

I think they got rid of the requirement to have a BER of x after PV install, now anyone who installs PV even if they go from D to C is entitled to a grant, but to be paid it I think you still need a BER.

Seems strange, if no bar to end up at to be entitled to grant, why still need to submit one unless rules change has not been reflected in the list of documentation required to be paid ghe grant.

In your case you would think that since you had A2 two years ago, why need to produce a BER for same or maybe A1 after PV install, unless they do some reporting on what BER ratings after PV install, but as they don't capture ghe before it's not like it means much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭DC999

Our housing stock is one of the oldest and worst in EU, same as UK. So the BER helps the State know what overall condition the housing stock is in. Which should then influence gov policy on other subsidies, policies, where help is needed…..

So yeah it’s a pain to pay for and hassle of finding someone and BER is a crude barometer per house. But.. at least it’s something that can be rolled up at a country level and then compared against other EU states

Gotta keep all the BER assessors busy :)

It’s madness to think you might go from an A2 -> A3 after getting PV installed. Unless you are right on the limit of A2/A3 and get a tiny PV install; there is hardly any situation where it shouldn’t push you into A1.

You could go a step further and get a “Technical Assessment” done for which there is a 200 euro SEAI grant. These guys will actually spend the time and effort to calculate the correct values and you will end up with a much more accurate rating. But it will end up costing you 300-400 euro after the grant. But you will end up with heat loss values for each room of you house.

The current approach is introducing massive inaccuracies into the ratings, making them ultimately less reliable. We're probably A1 but our rating is A3 because we cannot find some paper work from 6 years ago that needs to be signed by the actual person who did the heat pump installation. Sourcing documents from the manufacturer isn't good enough. It's a nonsense.

• Advertisement

Yep it definitely seems broken. Just off the phone to SEAI and explained the situation. They said they totally understand but there is nothing they can do and I still require a new BER cert post solar install. They said it doesnt matter what rating the new BER assesment comes back as to recieve the grant.

So is the most strightforward option to fork over €375 to the original assessor? I assume they have the original values/docs for new BER and wont use 'default' values. Fed up at this point and just want to get it done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement