Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most Comical/Hysterical COVID News Stories of the past few years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭foxsake

while the chip thing was weird Bill Gates has an odd (scary to me) level of influence in the whole vaccine world with his foundation and ties to Fauci.

It's correct his motivations should be questioned and also of the people he funds.

i agree , I would have been on the "side" (loosely) of your friend but the far out stuff was a pain in the hole cos you knew the media would interview them and paint their 1% as the 100% world view of anybody who question the WHO, NPHET , Bill Gates etc...

Post edited by foxsake on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This

And this, don't go together, the first post is absolutely loopy, the second then complains about being seen as absolutely loopy, you have to be able to see this, that's how everyone else does.

I'm saying if you questioned "it" - it being anything to do with the handling of covid from offical sources - you were put in the category of "5G death chips"

I questioned many things about how covid , restrictions and the faith in a vaccine above all else was handled.

Do I think there is/was incompetence and corruption - yes. Do I think 5G chips are now in 95% of the irish people. no.

But Claire Byrne (and her cohort) would associate me with both and make no distinction. Just as you have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,060 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yep, because you don't, or refuse to see how you come across and then wonder why people don't make the distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Well then you could've just read right over it.

Anyway. I don't know enough about Bill Gates to have an opinion one way or the other. I don't believe he wants to control and chip us all etc but I don't know is he all benevolent and altruistic either. Thats not me questioning his altruism. I actually don't know..

But thats neither here nor there. I would agree with @foxsake that I'm also generally quite uncomfortable with very very rich people using their fiscal power and influence to further certain policies and worldviews on the wider population. In Bills case I may well do him injustice and he may well try to do good with the money he earned. I'll give hime the benefit of the doubt tbh, he seems a good guy.

Just not entirely comfortable on principal. It's just too much power and influence in one mans hand. For every good guy there are typically three that aren't so good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,060 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've no interest in researching other people's arguments because they're too lazy to make them themselves.

The problem in their eyes isn't rich people wielding influence, it's rich people with the wrong opinions wielding influence. Fine when Donald Trump tries to launch a coup and talk people into injecting themselves with bleach to cure covid but Bill Gates donates to a few charities and they go mad.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Ye Donald Trump would be the prime example why I have a natural scepticism towards the ultra rich people. On top of Donald being who he is of course. Now Bill is not Donald not even remotely or actually not at all. But I still harbour a natural scepticism towards the ultra rich cos I find it hard to believe you can get that rich AND be a good guy. It usually doesn't work that way. Typically somewhere along the way lines have to be crossed. But like I said I didnt look into Bill Gates and I do believe he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Our views are probably not too far off tbh.

P.S. Having said that under Donald Trump we weren't on the brink of WW3 so there's that too.

Not living under threat of WW3 while Trump was in charge was purely a happy coincidence and nothing more.

I would share your skepticism of the uber-rich as well but they're not all the same. Gates has a history of speaking out about various causes and funding worthy projects. I'm sure he has plenty of skeletons in his closet of course but he's much more deserving of respect than many others in that part of society.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not sure if already mentioned, but I remember someone showing me videos on their phone of people walking down the street in China, and just collapsing dead.

Even then I laughed and said it was balls, but many believed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Yep. I remember this well. In fact it was imo the catalyst for switching people from uncaring about covid to switching hysterical. The perfect fear pump caldron if you will.

I too tried to inform family and friends that these were definitely fake videos but was laughed at for my scepticism. Why ? Because why would RTE and BBC etc be running these videos on their news reels ?

Little did I know It was only the beginning of a two year cycle of full-on circus media click baiting campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did mainstream media like rte and bbc actually show them?

I assumed they were only ever on social media

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Go ahead then, find us this video on RTE or BBC.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hadn't clicked into this thread in a couple of days.Wherever you stood on Covid restrictions it was a good chance to look back at some of the more ridiculous stuff that went on.

All too predictably it's been hijacked and the fun sucked out of it.

While it's been fun in a way and a bit nostalgic to see some of the covid thanks wh0res usernames again, the thread is dead.

Shame really

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

And for the person above, when was this thread fun?

Posters on both sides have comnented on its distinct lack of comic humour bar the odd funny one.( Clare Byrne show basically)

It appears we are not yet ready to laugh at it all. Or only at those considered on the "other side"?

It has been very divisive.

I raise your Clare Byrne with someone-just-killed-my-puppy-face George Lee.

Maybe the funny side thing won't happen for a long time. Or ever. The likes of Clare and George will never admit to any over-the-top-ness. It's their professional reputation they have to think about. And like I said earlier a lot of people here were too involved to take a step back.

Same goes for me tbh. If anything I feel now even more strongly about us having lost our collective marbles then I did one or two years ago.

And as for the 'other side', the 5G-they-want-to-chip-us-possibly-off-us crowd. Well I thought they were idiots back then too.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TomSweeney threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

Guardian ran this photo from Wuhan, taken by wire services photographer.

Edit: Do I even have to point out, which in fact should go without saying, that in a Communist dictatorship a foreign photographer would not be allowed to take a picture like this unless the authorities wished it. The AFP photographer admits to not knowing how the man died. The photo is therefore staged in essence even if the man is really dead - though he might be acting or taking a nap.

Post edited by growleaves on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

Remember this at the time really rattled people as well. BAM didn`t get the contract here!

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

People putting their vaccination status on their social media.

Probably changed by now tho....Ukraine Flag I'm guessing!

i wanted to discuss the point . I'm not here to convert you.

find god for that

it seems kinda a social faux pas now to discuss vax status of anybody that dies or has a serious health issue.

seemed to be all the rage a while back with the politicans , media and science gurus - including our dear leader Leo Varadkar who was very keen to discuss the vaxx status of those in ICU or recreantly deceased

odd that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Eldudeson

Back to the comical, remember all the WhatsApp voice messages from "my Sister's Boyfriend's Brother's Friend's Uncle" who was in the "Guards, Army, government" warning that there was going to be a mobilisation of soldiers to lock down the country "tomorrow". Every **** week they were in every WhatsApp group.

Fine, get taken in by the first one but after that have a bit of common sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Sure the Gardai went off and bought a load of cars!!! Did I imagine that or did it actually happen?

Does anyone remember the thread called something like "Now you're talking to an expert" with the HSE insider.

It was comedy gold.

He was telling everyone how he was most likely going to die and explained in great detail how to decontaminate your Tesco delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭Xander10

I was only thinking about that the other day. It was a nurse explaining along the lines, that when the weekly shop was delivered she would leave it sitting in the hall for around five hours and then wipe down each item with a disinfecting cloth and gloves.

Advertisement