Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Comical/Hysterical COVID News Stories of the past few years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Some posters here have introduced themselves as vaccinated, or as having vaccinated friends and family. Some of that 'contrarianism' is post-facto scepticism or disappointment. So we are not talking about just 5% of Irish adults, but a wider circle of people.

Off-line, some people are going to feel intimidated and you seem particularly black and white in your views.

It may be the case that people only say what they really think after you have left the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I don’t see the connection between the development of a child and some neurotic parent passing on their hypochondria on to a child too young to know what a virus is let alone the meaning of the word ‘contagious’. Sorry.

The parent I’m talking about wouldn’t have told the toddler to cover their mouth before 2020, that’s whats been done to us. Things will never be the same again. I just count myself lucky that my kids are grown now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You've no idea what the parent would have done before 2020, but yet you feel free to abuse them as 'neurotic' and a 'loony'. The insults you chuck out say more about their source than target as far as I'm concerned.

Imagine being bothered by a mother getting their child into the habit of covering their mouth when sneezing or coughing. But sure, she's the hysterical one in this upside down world.

The child doesn't need to know what a virus is, or need to know what bacteria is to be taught the importance of washing hands, cleanliness, hygiene, basic manners.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

There was the study in Canada that concluded the unvaccinated were more likely to have a car accident.

It's bad enough that someone considered this was a study of value, but we also have to question the sanity of any news outlets that unironically reported it with utmost sincerity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Most parents teach their kids to cover their mouths when they cough/sneeze, so it becomes an automatic thing. Whether I am on a beach on in a pub I'll automatically cover my mouth when I cough, just out of habit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its basic manners my grandparents were thought.

I guess the covid conpiracies predate covid itself.

I hope our grandparents were spared this nonsense. But who knows, maybe there were some tin foil hatters back in TB days complaining about not being able to spit freely anymore. Dark mutterings in the corner of pubs about emergency powers and Noel Browne and what was really going on in sanitoriums. The cranks will always be with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Those who think no one got sick or even died pre 2020 calling others cranks … priceless!

The diversionary post above doesn’t surprise me and is to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Teaching children starts at a young age. Parents teach them how to speak, put on clothes, how to go to the toilet. It's no different teaching them manners and covering their mouths with coughs and sneezes. You have no idea what the parent would have done before 2020.

Have many "vaccine skeptical" doctors do you think there are? 0.01%? 0.001%? Lower?

There's your answer right there. It doesn't matter what "wider circle" you believe exists of people who are "vaccine skeptical" or "mask skeptical", their views aren't in line with medical science.

• Advertisement

"Those who think no one got sick or even died pre 2020 calling others cranks … priceless!"

What type of insane sentence is this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Just FYI, the conclusion of that study was not that people crashed because they were unvaccinated, it was that the same psychology that makes such people resistant to vaccines might also makes them less safe on the road.

And it's pretty plausible tbh. Anger, distrust and paranoia aren't ideal characteristics of a safe driver.

Do lads "do their own research" into what the speed limit should be? Or "just asking questions" about whether they should stop at a red light? Wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah it almost seemed like a... "diversionary post"

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Typical example of cherry picking data in order to support the agenda. From the data reported, the all cause mortality is consistently lower in the unvaccinated, and yes even in April 2021 when the magic cure was injected only on the vulnerable

Oh it is the classic antivaxxer line when you can't even bring themselves to calling it a vaccine - it's not a "magic cure", it's a vaccine. A vaccine which has saved millions of lives.

The rest of your post seems to bear the same relation to the truth, as it pretends to ignore the fact that more younger people were unvaccinated, so you can't simply compare the two groups without accounting for age. So the only cherry picking of data is by you and those repeating the same fallacy.

The rebuttal is on the Twitter thread provided:

Saying this plot shows "vaccinated at higher risk of death than unvaccinated" is blatant base rate fallacy.

Look at table 2 from the same document and they compute the age adjusted death rates for the entire population and you can see that the ever vaccinated are clearly lower than never vaccinated throughout...

If you do that, you will see that the ever-vaccinated death rate is consistently lower than never-vaccinated for all the age groups throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Typical anti-vax mentality, stuck in the dark ages of 'magic', cannot comprehend science.

Ah I see trying now to tailor the data reported to support the narrative. You posted a chart reporting the all cause mortality of vaccinated vs unvaccinated, with the purpose of demonstrating that vaccination saved the humanity, could you be so kind of doing the same exercise, using the above data, of total count of death between unvaccinated and ever vaccinated?

Hold on a second, on what did you base your earlier misinformation? Were you tailoring the data or just making stuff up?

There is no tailoring of data:

The ever-vaccinated death rate is consistently lower than never-vaccinated for all the age groups throughout.

All the information is available on the ONS site.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingcovid19byvaccinationstatusengland/deathsoccurringbetween1april2021and31may2023

Not sure what point you think you are trying to make, or how you think it counters the below statement.

The ever-vaccinated death rate is consistently lower than never-vaccinated for all the age groups throughout.

Given that there are far more vaccinated than unvaccinated, what do you think is surprising that the total count of deaths would be higher???

As you've cited the numbers in your own post, that it is reasonable to assume you accept the bona fides of the data.

So now you've found the numbers, look at the age group comparisons.

• Advertisement

So you are cherry picking the data to make a point, you are now trying to separate by age group, like your man did, so that the data is skewed in order to support your argument. Total count of death for ever vaccinated is higher than the unvaccinated

There's no cherry picking.

There are far more people in the 'ever vaccinated' category than the 'unvaccinated'. So

So do you think it is valid to compare the total counts?

It would be utterly disingenuous to pretend otherwise and would amount to a basic fallacy and misinformation.

It'd be like comparing the total number of people who die in car crashes versus plane crashes without accounting for how many people \ trips are being compared.

A 25 year old "ever vaccinated" has a lower mortality rate than a 25 year old unvaccinated.

A 50 year old "ever vaccinated" has a lower mortality rate than a 50 year old unvaccinated.

A 75 year old "ever vaccinated" has a lower mortality rate than a 75 year old unvaccinated.

That's not cherry picking. Those are statements of fact, to you have no rebuttal to.

You have accepted the data, as you have cited it, therefore you have no valid statistical basis to object to the statement:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I think this thread has descended into another covid argument. Haven't seen one of these in a while. Can't say I missed them either. Totally unwinnable argument from either side. Nobody knows, nobody has the answers.

Just let it go. This was meant to be a light hearted reflection on a **** time, not a dive back into the depths of vax vs anti vax.

Take it up with those who started using it as a dumping ground for anti vax rubbish. I'm just rebutting the thoroughly discredited nonsense being reposted here.

Oops, you missed a bit of data there. It's in the excel sheet you pulled that data from:

Age-standardised mortality rate / 100,000 persons

For example April 2021

Ever vaccinated: 812.7

Unvaccinated : 2088.1

For all causes

Lets have a look at "Deaths involving Covid 19"

For example April 2021

Ever vaccinated: 14.1

Unvaccinated: 131.8

More unvaccinated people were dying than vaccinated people.

You are currently up to 4 thanks on your post for posting selectively distorted data. A prime example of how disinformation and hysteria spreads.

Age-standardised mortality rate / 100,000 persons from the same spreadsheet you used

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/deathsbyvaccinationstatusengland

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

When you've people still calling science magic or claiming basic health measures that are 100+ years old "modern" there will naturally be some reality check.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

I am only speaking for myself, but I am angry at myself that I allowed myself to be coerced into taking a vaccine.

You are angry at yourself for getting a vaccine that reduces your chances of hospitalization/dying from a disease by up to 90%, from a virus that is everywhere that you may catch multiple times, and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Total number of Chinese deaths from Covid is significantly greater than total number of Irish deaths from Covid. What do you make of that? Do you think it is evidence that China's actions were worse than ours or could it be because there are over a billion Chinese people and only five million Irish people? It's a tough one...you'll figure it out eventually.

Advertisement