Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Because it will be the last golf i'll ever be allowed play???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Close out your golfing year in style and ring in the celebrations with us! 🍻

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Fantastic intro and opening words Roadrunner. This society has done the world of wonders for my golf and for the friendships I have garnered so far also, I have never looked back on the day I made the plunge, joined the society and drove in the gates if the posher Portmarnock 🤣🤣🤣. Really looking forward to the year, excellent list of courses, with 4 new ones to look forward to having never played before, bunclody is one of my favourite golf courses and having played Rosslare once, I'm delighted to be playing again. Really looking forward to playing Killarney too, just imaging the craic down there that weekend.

I have made a few changes to the bag and my big golf goal of 2023 is to make the jug, I really want to be a part of it. Cannot wait to get going again in February and cannot wait to see you all old and new members in 2023. Looking forward to first game of golf this Sunday and to 2023. Best of luck for the new golfing year captain Roadrunner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Looking forward to the year ahead, all new courses for me pretty much, played Corbalis once in a match play, 8 down after 8 so wasn't a wild fan. 🤣

Played Mahony's point before too, all the rest are new to me, but looking forward to Kev's online friends stag in Killarney. 😁

Will be missing one for the sister's wedding unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Firstly Congratulations Roadrunner on your 2023 captaincy,I know you will be a huge success and you have a great list of courses for the year and after a trying couple of years and a recent house move I hope to throw myself back into my golf and take it seriously again and maybe join a new club for a fresh start so looking forward to meeting up again in as many outings as I can and hopefully compete for some prizes..Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Best of luck this year RR as captain. Unfortunately I won't be able to play any outings as Saturdays will be unavailable to me for the foreseeable future (work/kids). Best of luck to all involved.

Hello friends, we're only a month away from our first outing of the year and the days are already starting to get slightly longer. Today may be "Blue Monday," the supposed "most depressing day of the year". Apparently there's no basis in science for claiming that one day is more depressing then another, but let's use today as a reminder to stay positive and look forward to the upcoming golf season. Driving my 6 year old daughter to school today in sunshine, she commented on how cold it was by saying "Shiver my timbers" when she got into the car. Then we spoke to each other as if we were pirates. So I started the day with laughter.

As we will begin to leave behind the cold and dark days of winter, some of us may have even given up golf or been unable to play due to course closures, but we are starting to come to end of that chapter. Any extra light may have been imperceptible so far, but soon it will be noticable. As you pick out your favorite 4 clubs for our special opener at Corballis to start the links swing.. imagine the smell of freshly cut grass, the sound of spring, the sea lapping up on the coast and skylarks flying overhead.

Greens will be lush, the sun -shining and the birds -singing. Looking forward to the year and hoping everyone plays with a sense of freedom and adventure. Every round is a new opportunity to learn, grow and have fun.

We will be circulation subscription details and timesheet bookings soon 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

You should be having a chat about the Invisible Flying Spaghetti Monster if that's the case then Roadrunner. He's not worshipped by priests, but is worshipped by Pirates instead

• Advertisement

Having not played for about a month, got 13 holes in each of the last 2 weekends.

a first and second finish, so the year has gotten off to a flyer.

am really looking forward to getting back out with the society. I’ve been doing a bit of digging and researching, so will be posting some nerdy stats in the next week or 2 so keep your eyes out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I hadn't played since the Captains in Mount Juliet, but got out for a round on Saturday (in the European Club, no less). I went to the range before it and hit some decent shots, but played like I hadn't played in 4 months. 6 greens in regulation was decent in that wind. 1 par out of those 6 was not! But I'll get a couple of rounds in before the first outing. It kicking off in February is actually a bit of motivation to get out a couple more times. Not wanting to hit 45 putts again in a round is also motivation. Jesus it was comical. I was so far off line at times you'd swear I was imagining windmills between me and the holes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Here's the real question of the week...is it Cor-ballis or Corb-allis? 🤨

Have to say, the bad weather these last 2 months or so have really started getting to me, so I'm desperate for things to improve even slightly, and really looking forward to golf not being an absolute mushy wet mess.

Played on Saturday for the 1st time in 6 weeks, and it was the mixed bag you'd expect, but happy with it overall. Few more lessons to be had before it starts back up big time, so really looking forward to this year.

Corballis is bliss you wouldn't wanna give it a miss.

6 greens in regulation @ the european in any conditions is great going for a 10 handicapper.

you are off 18 and think it was only decent because of the wind 🤣

i guess you are odds on favourite to take the prize on first day out again....

Ladies & Gents, members and potential members.... I will get the couple of people wanting to join set up later on today. if you want to join drop me a pm with your details, name, club, GUI no, mobile & email.

we will send out subscription invoices this week. you will have to have your sub paid before you can book into outings.

timesheet for first outing will go live next week

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Do we still have access to Golfnet this coming year ?

Yes, we're continuing with the same model this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

13.5 now. Thanks to the two boards rounds I submitted last year more than any other. And had I remembered to declare Tullamore at the start of the round I'd be 12.5. Corballis will sort out any expectations people have of me this year.

Does the society cut carry forward from year to year? I could end up having my first single digit handicap in February!

No, every returns to their base HI at the start of the year

• Advertisement

FYI it's ClubNet and not Golfnet

@blue note as Space says any cuts/addbacks are reset at the beginning of the year

We will post an updated version of rules this evening, there are no real changes to anything, it's more a tidy up but it would be great if everybody can have a read through them please.

There will be some interesting information and stats included for the nerds. I'll update here once they are live

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Please see new thread here for information about the society and how to join, rules & ClubNet setup

Please do not post in this thread. Mods will sticky and lock it please. I will be adding more information in in next week.

Just a quick note that the 2023 Boards Golf Society Subscription Invoice emails have been issued. Check your email.

If you are a new to the society now is a good time to register your interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oma29

I've just signed up as new member, superb list of courses for 2023, can't wait for Corballis!

Just to add to that RoadRunner

Subs have only been issued to those who played last year and a few new members who I just set up (2 already paid 😁)

In case any of the long timers who weren't able to get out last year (but are set up on ClubNet) are wondering why they haven't received an sub invoice, ClubNet is a super system super system and by default only invoices active members. Drop me a pm and I can change if required

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Paid up and ready to go. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Paid up - First time joining this year, so looking forward to it

Hoping days end up suiting (first round definitely does)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Checked my email and followed the link to the payment system. Paid for this year. Really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

lots of interest guys and plenty of paid up subs so far

gonna be another great boards society year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement