Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society 2023

• 13-12-2022 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Boards Golf Society 2023

So we're on the run up to christmas and I just wanted to briefly check in, introduce myself, map out the year ahead and give society members old and hopefully new a list of venues and dates to help people plan out their year. 

My dad gave me a golf club as a kid I would hit wound golf balls all day around housing estate greens, aiming for the "golf prohibited" signs which were positioned in the best drained areas of the field. I loved it. When a ball was damaged with cuts (smileys we called them), I'd cut open the case and allow the rubber band contained within to unwind out. I've always thought golf balls were incredible technologically and intrigued with the potential energy contained within. I'd send my brother hundreds of yards down our road holding one end. The jerk I am, I'd let it sling back on him from my side and watch the band travel hundreds of yards away to hopefully get him. I played st annes pitch and putt at times with my dad and had odd games in deerpark in howth, taking the dart to get out. In more recent times I played the game in some of the greatest courses in the world in the company of some of the finest people in the world (look, they were other society members so I gotta be nice because they're probably reading this too). From St Andrews, to Portmarnock, to Sawgrass, Bayhill, Portush; though the setting has changed, the chase remains the same from when I was a kid. That is recreating the feel you get through limbs and senses on attaining centre contact and the thrill of watching the ball accelerate rapidly downrange to target. There's something special in that, regardless as to whether the target is the iconic island green at TPC sawgrass, or the narrow road hole green for example, or whether you're still a kid, trying to carry the trees hoping the ball lands softly to leave you with the correct angle in at the "golfing prohibited" sign.

As mentioned above, there's that bit of magic that I discovered when I was a kid. The same magic keeps us all coming back. Sadly I lost it for a time and if it wasn't for the society I probably wouldn't have made it back. Between being a teenager until my rediscovery of golf in my mid 30's there was the period of time that I was into computers, software, motorbike racing, snowboarding, travel, entrepreneurial endeavours etc. I found it again one day after I noticed my old clubs taking up space in the shed, these were slotline interial irons, and hickory 1,3, 5 woods. Should get rid of these.. are they worth anything? I decided to try hit them to see if they still worked. I took them to a driving range at Portmarnock horse racing track (long gone now). I could still hit them it seemed. I didn't realise it at the time, but after what may have been the most important range session of my life I went looking for a way to try to actually play golf with other people. Coincidentally it was at this exact time of the year too, December 10 years ago that I found the boards society. The people who reached out to me from the society when I first expressed interest are now good friends today. After 2-3years on the society and going to as many outings as I could, I realised I was getting a lot out of golf and I wanted more. I joined a club as the small number of society events a year were not enough for me. After that I upgraded my gear, I looked up golf stuff on the internet, started watching pro golf on tv. Boards golf society, as it turned out was only the gateway drug, introduced to me by a list of members with names such as charlieIRL, seveob, spacecoyote, break80, fixdepitchmark. Fast forward to some pints in clontarf one evening earier this summer and it was fixdepitchmark, the outgoing captain for 2022, who suggested that I might like to be the captain for 2023. So here we are. And here I am. Thanks fix.

If I can be of help to reach out to others who like me 10 years ago, were looking to get back into golf, then hit me up. The company on the course with Boards outings is always unique. Getting to know someone you've never met before over the course of 4 hours is cool, or better still someone whom you've read their rants on boards prior to the first tee, and then learning how they deal with the same challenges you face. Golf in the society is competitive. Good banter is a great leveler. We play relatively fast for a society and would like to keep that up. Some of the courses early in the year will need everyone pulling together to allow everyone to finish in time before darkness.

2022 was a cracking year for the society. I really enjoyed it. Other people told me they liked it too. Well done Fix! It followed a difficult period we all had to get through where golf was shut down for 7 full months. As the clubs across the country have picked themselves back out of that hole, one thing has been clear to me as I've planned the year ahead, prices for golf across the country are rising in line with the general increase of costs in daily life combined with rate of inflation, increased staffing costs, rent, fuel etc. We've done as good a job as possible to balance cost and quality of courses for the year so hopefully 2023 is a good one too. If it is a a good one it will be down to a list of people, many of whom are ex-captains of the society themselves. Over the course of the year I will thank them all, but today I'll make a special mention of ex-captain from a few years ago Golfgraffix. I don't normally use real names, but John has supported the society in numerous ways very generously since the outset. More recently his support in helping us book events, collect payments, organise green fees, organise subs etc through Clubnet systems has been incredible. When you try thank him he'll simply shrug and tell you that the Clubnet software makes him look good. In fairness it does make him look good. He gave me a quick demo and you get why see why Clubnet runs all the main courses in Ireland now. Regardless, he gets a shout out anyway. Additionally Clubnet's financial support and sponsoring of the society has helped us to reduce costs to members. (However even after all he's done for the society, that he currently plays with a double digit handicap is questionable in the extreme and I'll be watching how that progresses over the course of the coming year!)

Post edited by slave1 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

The year ahead

For 2023 I'm going to try put my own fingerprint on things. I've never been afraid to try new things, and I'll be dragging you lot with me.

We're going to start off the year on our own links swing with three highly regarded links courses played back-to-back. Patience, good course management, ball positioning, shot-making skills and tidy imaginative short game are all key here. I expect to see level headed shot makers leading the chase for GOTY after the first three rounds. I have a picture in my head of how the leaderboard might look after the links swing. A cool head in cool conditions will prevail, and we want whoever can prevail in these conditions with us in the fight against the reps for the where at the end of the year we will take the Jug back to where it belongs. As such the three stage links swing winner enjoys it's own special prize. One that no amount of money can buy, automatic Ryder jug entry (and paid green fee for that event!) 

After the links swing, we turn inland. Play will be strictly in tee-shirts, balls will roll out, the bombers may start to claw back up the leaderboard?

Travel is one of the issues that as a society we have unique challenges on. I wanted to add a slightly more northern course into the mix this year to kick off the parkland run and offer an olive branch to our excellent members from that area. When I started looking at golf courses in the border counties, the quality and pricing of golf on the border counties really stand out and I'm particularly looking forward to the Slieve Russell round. I would like to suggest that where possible people try to car share over the course of the year. Feel free to come on here and ask if someone can share the journey with you. Public transport may be an option for some of the courses we'll visit this year and again it could be that one of our members can pick you up at the station or stop on the other side. Always feel free to ask for help!

One of the really successful experiments from last year was a round played on a Friday afternoon, with a social afterwards. This was perhaps my best memories of the year and we're going to try recreate this Friday magic again at another new special venue which I'm very excited to play. Any Dublin based members with a spare bed or couch that can be offered up to weary travelers will surely receive special thanks when they arrive at the gates of Valhalla.

To complete the year, bring suncream and plenty of water with you for the highly regarded inland lake style courses. Tip: anyone not yet taken an elevator to reach a teebox needs to ensure they don't miss the penultimate outing.

The final outing is in perhaps the most stunning setting in the whole country. The main competition is on the Saturday, but the warm-up round is on Friday afternoon on the beautiful but difficult, Irish Open hosting championship course and if at all possible making both days is highly suggested.

The Schedule

Our course list and schedule for the year.

Stage 1 sees us return to the home of golf in Ireland. I'll get a dedicated thread up for this one shortly. This is a full GOTY scoring round which is going to be a 4 club challenge. The location is perfect for a reduced set of clubs as it's tight and control and shot making wins the day here. I'm extremely curious to hear which 4 clubs people plan to take for this one, I have a few idea here myself for the best way to handle the selection of which clubs to take.

(may be subject to change in the case of unforeseen circumstance)

UPDATED SCHEDULE MARCH 2023

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

a great year ahead in 2022

I'll just add a quick note. Any one who was not a member in 2022 but would like to join us in 2023, please hit me up with a PM of your information (real name, club, GUI no, mobile & email). It will be a few weeks, but will aim to have everything up an running in early January

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Great list, played them all, highlight is the front 9 of Slieve Russell IMHO, a hugely underrated track

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ahh, exactly what i wanted to see. Have been missing the society, and really looking forward to getting back out in February. Will be weird not getting soaked in Portmarnock on day 1 though 🤣

Really nice mix of clubs there. Only course I've played is Bunclody, which i played on a stag last year. It was a great course, but i was super hungover and didn't enjoy it. Looking forward to giving it another shot. Will try make the Friday round in Castle, and definitely doing the 2 days in Killarney.

Worked it out and I'll have 4976km of travel this year 😆 At least the September round is close enough in Killarney. The joys of lving in the arse end of nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Break80

Lovely post Captain.

I love reading people's posts trying to justify their obsession with this mad game.

On behalf of everyone Welcome to the fold and thanks for stepping up. A lot of work involved but if you ask anyone they'll probaly say rewarding when you look back.

Looking forward to the year already but need some advice on the 4 clubs as I only played Corballis once.

the way you were hitting the ball last day out with you up north, you'll be grand if you just bring a putter 😁

ya, Killarney probably only a 200km round trip for ya 😁

You'll have to dust off your clubs and take them out of storage over winter buddy! You're one of the ones i've eyeballed to leap to a strong start after the first three.

Make the jug, like i know you can and it will be north of 5k! Is the train an option for you on any courses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭a post punk

A trio of posts and already Fixde’s word count is blasted out of the water !! Best of luck for the new year Roadrunner and always a friendly character with a bit of banter on and off the course the year is looking great.

Great list of courses, will prob miss 1 or 2 looking at dates due to a roundy birthday celebrations this year……..but will do my best to get to the rest.

4 club challenge is a great new addition and as the last time we were there was my first outing as Captain it surely can’t rain as much as it did that day again :)

Great to see the Friday outing back aswell , very enjoyable this year.

Look forward to the posts ramping up from now to February.

PP

I'm looking forward to seeing discussion on clubbing tactics for round 1. I've never played a reduced bag round. Many will be looking for advice here and I expect the corballis thread to be particularly interesting this time!

Cheers, and the forcast for corballis is looking excellent this time around 👍

Ok I'll kick it off.

5 wood/200yds.

7 iron/150yds

50° wedge/100 yds

Putter/ deadly from any distance.

Jaysus can you not wait till he gets the Corballis thread up and running 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bobster453

Guess I will miss corballis.Hard enough trying to get around with 14 clubs.

Not a hope with 4

Pity 1 of the jug places is gone after just 3 rounds but sure it is what it is.

Other than that whinge great selection of courses and best of luck for the year RR.

Captains is where??..😀

Nah. Didn't play for 2 weeks, getting the dt,s.

Killarney. I didn't mark it as Captains. But that's effectively what it is 😁 and I'll see you there 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Best of luck RR ...sounds a brilliant year , with a couple of interesting ideas already...

Nice to change things , with new courses, new ideas, keeping the things that are working - but keeping it fresh also.

Kinda mad , how your own golfing background is very similar to my own.

Couple of Dubs must hit Deer Park at some point - for the ultimate nostalgic day out.

Back to this year , not sure how I feel about the 4 club challenge, but you couldn't pick a better location or time of year. Middle of Feb , keep it light and simple. I'm thinking 3W, 7 iron, 52, Putter...(but I don't want to say that in public)..

Brilliant call on the courses.

And making the captains' weekend a more formal (if your up for it) 2 day , is a brilliant mindset to enter the weekend.

My favourite night of last year , was night before captains.

I think I can make about 5 or 6 this year...a few clashes and a few I can't take day away.

I will need to play well in Links run.

Anyone looking in...don't hesitate...It is one of the best golf societies in the country...As prices go and effort goes ...the guys try everything in their power to keep costs low and organisation levels high. The ClubNet app makes life so handy for organising and for giving you control of your budget and year. (Any other societies looking in, it is a game changer for admin side ) - the day is so much more enjoyable...

Catch all in Corballis...in theory I should go well , but any time I think that , I'm brutal.

We'll done again..lovely intro , with many things causing me moments of deep reflection and inner peace and even a touch of sadness.

Car sharing is definitely something we need to think about more and thankfully fuel costs are at last subsiding.

A post punk , there is no way he will ever push me for word count (lol)....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Oh i'll be making the jug this year. No worries there 😆

And train is an option, may look into that for some of the Dublin outings. Probably costs as much as the fuel for a round trip though, so we'll see.

Either way, i'll hopefully be there for all outings. Was worried my annual Enniscrone trip might clash, but that's the 1st weekend in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Can’t wait, 4 new courses for me. Which is rare, but haven’t played Glasson, Arklow and both Killarneys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I've been holding my breath waiting for this post for some time now. I was excited thinking about what the courses were going to be and now I'm excited at the prospect of playing them!

The one fly in the ointment is the wife has found herself pregnant again. Due on 26th of May and the consultant said based on last time he'll likely bring her in early again. Slieve Russell has been high on my list of courses to play for some time now. If I'd know that was going to be in May I'd have tried to time the next arrival better. Sure if I'd had any sense I'd have aimed for the off season. Ah well, Que sera sera.

So I suspect having two will impact my golf next year. I played 16 times in 2022, so I'd be surprised if I get out as often again. But hopefully I'll come close. It looks like a great list of courses. The only one I've played is Rosslare and it's just a superb course. If I'd been told it was in the top 30 in Ireland I wouldn't have questioned it. It's a decent trek down there but I hope I'll make it. Obviously I'm a member in Corballis, but I'd describe it more as having worked that course.

So I'll definitely definitely make Corballis the first day. Not as handy for me as Portmarnock, but still bloody close. The 4 club challenge is a great idea and I don't actually expect it to massively impact my score. I'll still be happy to break 90.

Arklow is supposed to be lovely, I was down to play Bunclody last year but it was closed due to rain, I hear wonderful things about it. Everyone enjoys Glasson, so I'll certainly be trying to make that. I don't know anything about the Castle, but if I can get the time off I'll certainly be there. And the wife will be on mat leave for Killarney. I'll have to start planting the seed of a week in Kerry now!

Thanks as ever to the captain and those organising. We've all organised a golf weekend for a couple of our mates and know how much of a pain it is. I assume as you add more people, courses, strangers, etc it can only get easier .... 😐️ I'm hoping in the same way that adding a second child to our house makes it more easier.

RE: "I'll have to start planting the seed of a week in Kerry now"

I'd argue planting the seed was part of the problem. Delighted to hear the news and I'm sure you catch whoever did it this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Great list Roadrunner and a great year ahead by the look of things.

You're getting in a couple of the courses I had on my original list, until we entered the Covid years, bunclody and rosslare.

Will be also interesting to see the new improved Glasson. Played it years ago, but I know they've made significant investments and changes in recent times.

Plenty of new courses for me and some fantastic days ahead.

Looking forward to the attempt to retain the GOTY, but think my base handicap will make it tough. Need to target the approach of picking up a lot of 4th-5th places and avoiding wins early in the season 😉

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Fantastic intro Captain, can’t wait to get going again in February. Being a member of a busy parkland course, it’s hard to get out and I haven’t hit a ball in a few weeks. I’ll be ready for Corballis though and know my 4 clubs already, will be handy carry the bag for that one!!

2 new courses for me. Never played Slieve Russell nor Glasson. But it’s also over 30 years since I played Rosslare and probably close to that since I played Mahonys point so I guess it may as well be 4 new courses.

I might not make Castle as it’s looking like will be away on family holiday which I’m raging as it’s a beautiful track and will be a great social event

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Great list for next year.

One clash with Arklow.

How first two go with decide.

Will be in Killarney for annual trip.

Hope to make the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bobster453

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭kev_s88

looking like a great lineup for courses this year. Cant wait to get back into it. Killarney might cause an issue as its a couple of weeks before my wedding, but we'll see what we can do :)

• Advertisement

If killarney is a couple of weeks before your wedding then you'd had better head to it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement