Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Brilliant, cheers! I'll be along for Arklow all going well, waiting to see if I've one or two along with me too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Heading to your first event, meeting strangers you only know through an internet forum may sound daunting at first but in all my years here I can honestly say there is a seriously good bunch of posters here who are genuinely nice people.

Come on down, say hello and if you meet me, be prepared for some banter!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Hi All. I'm gathering feedback on the 1st and 2nd of September captains day, golf and accommodation requirements for people. Please fill in the survey if you plan to make it to the last event of the year.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/52T5JR9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

I responded but skipped Q4 by mistake - apologies...

I've just noticed that the free version of surveymonkey lists only 10 responses per survey as being included. So I'll probably have to repeat this exercise with someone elses paid account later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

I put myself down as a yes for Friday and Saturday golf and accommodation. Friday golf is still up in the air, waiting to see if i can get the time off work. Worst case scenario i will still be down on Friday evening to stay over and play Saturday/stay Saturday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hint, if you completed the survey, just thank RR post so easier to track....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Have replied with golf on the Friday, requested accommodation for 2 nights also please. Thank you Roadrunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Completed with the expectation that I can make both days (barring unforeseen circumstances).

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bobster453

Done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Down there from Thursday.

Will be playing both courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Answered survey ...but flashed to a sign up ..hope you haveresponses ..you probably know my plan anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Updated GOTY table

hey all. does anyone know when the refund for the Arklow booking change is going back on to Clubnet? want to make sure i don't need to top up again before Slieve Russell booking and my purse balance looks suspiciously low 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

It was done the day after Arklow. I’ll check and make sure I didn’t miss anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hi lads

Who is the club treasurer? I think the fact you can’t withdraw from ClubNet is a pain.

It’s been advised that I contact the club treasurer in regard to my balance on ClubNet

Unfortunately involvement with Intercounty teams has killed me the last 2 outings and will again for the 20th May one, so I just can’t commit

There is no golf booking system in the world that you can withdraw from.

Are you leaving the society ? Why do you want to withdraw ? If you are planning on playing again then keep it in there until then. This is how purse systems work in all golf clubs and societies that use a purse.

Thanks GG. I think what happened with me was that I changed time slots before the event. Original booking cost €52 with twos. I cancelled that one and made a new booking which cost €37 with twos, but the original €52 booking cost never went back on my purse

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

We are not really formed like a traditional golf club or society..we are made up of all the past captains and make choices based on that group. Interchangeable of roles is a key aspect of the concept...

We haven't had too many looking to do what your doing ..so PM me or any past captain and we will sort you out.

Next year I will suggest, that we implement stronger rules on withdrawals and refunds ....but again we are a voluntary based group ...

Thanks for coming along , enjoy your GAA .

Perfect - Will give a message!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Gents, I'll do a full reconciliation tomorrow on all balances and make sure everything is correct for everyone

all purse balances reconciled now and 2's money paid out so everybody should be spot on. let me know if any issues (even though there aren't... just being polite 🤣)

Just on the above. Sorry if I’m sensing the tone incorrectly, but I don’t think this is a fair response

Not that I’m ‘leaving’ the society. It’s just that at this stage I know I can’t commit to the next couple of dates, so I might as well get the money in my account back since I won’t get to use it. It was a minimum €100 deposit when signing up on that app in the first place. I thought I’d be able to play - turns out I can’t (bar the first event)

I haven’t dealt with any other purse system in my 15+ years of golfing so didn’t know/don’t particularly care how they work tbh

Just for a bit of context and some transparency.

having been involved in running the society since my captaincy in 2015, I know most of you appreciate that there are countless hours of volunteer time invested, but some of you might not realise just how much time is devoted to it. Yesterday for example, I spent a good hour just going through and reconciling purse balances to make sure everything was correct. I genuinely personally put close to 100 (realistically more) hours into the admin every year. I probably do most of the work and maybe I go over the top, but my moto is, if you are gonna do something, do it right. As a result, between us I think we run a very very professional society.

up till last year we were a cash operation. Turn up on the day and pay your way. Golfgraffix have been extraordinarily generous to us over the years, arranging great discounts on golf, amazing sponsorship of prizes and free rounds of golf and most recently the free use of their platform. This has made a huge difference to smoother running on outing days. Ironically it also makes an awful lot more admin. And there is a cost to handling credit/debit card transactions. Every time there is a transaction, there is a transaction cost and there are separate percentage fees. It’s not huge, but it stacks up and it comes out of the pot we use for prizes and golf subsidies. To minimise the costs, make for a better more inclusive society and getting members to show some commitment to the society, we set a minimum purse lodgement at €100, which should get between 2-3 games. It’s not a lot to ask and we know and realise that lots of people won’t be able to commit to playing every single event such it the nature of life. But the idea is that the purse can be parked till the next outing later in the year and so far it has suited everyone. we can, will and do review everything on an ongoing basis for the betterment of all members.

I appreciate the above, and I'm sure everyone else does too. Not once did I begrudge the format of what ye do for the society in my defence (and I enjoyed the outing I was on)

It's just a simple thing of life getting in the way of me being able to commit for the rest of the outings. If there's a transactional fee for funds to be returned, I have no issues with that being taken from any returns if they're possible

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Take it to PM please

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Some movement on the leaderboard after Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Looking slightly ahead to the trip to Kerry, I'm planning on driving down on Friday and staying over Friday. Has anyone booked accommodation at this point, or decided where to stay etc? I'll be heading from Dublin, and more than happy to take a passenger or two, if someone doesn't fancy driving down!

• Advertisement

I've booked twin rooms at the castlerosse hotel for Friday and Saturday, I'll mentally mark you down for one of these beds. Thanks for the reminder... need to leave a deposit with them and put more structure around the booking and room/bed list.

Sadly the survey that I conducted recently will need to be carried out again as the free version of surveymonkey now limits visibility to only 10 responses and there was 20 people who replied. So I have no visibility over half of the responses unless I pay at least €39 to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement