Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,883 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I like the idea, but it would open the floodgates for the entitled "what about us non-smokers/vegans/vegetarians/etc" to want their pound of flesh cash too.

I think Meghan Markle is alright and I feel quite bad for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Not necessarily, if the nurses/doctors are working 24/7 then when the Monday staff come in they have 3 days of work to catch up on before you start dealing with this week's work If you had staff shadowing the doctors you would be getting your results fairly quickly instead of 4/5/6 days later

(I'm assuming he is talking about support staff and not things like hr/payroll etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I agree we need 7 day a week medical system and I agree we could do with more staff.

But we have to have accountability -the private hospitals can do it so why can’t the public hospitals follow their system. It wouldn’t be exact, but more efficient.

And my contraversial opinion, nurses and doctors get paid enough, they just need to be supported in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,720 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The private hospitals can do it because they cherrypick the neat, straightforward, profitable cases, and when things go wrong, they dump the patient back into the public system,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

It’s not just that though is it Andrew - I had staff at my local hospital tell me they went out for lunch before Xmas, and just didn’t go back. Not nurses. That is not acceptable in any industry but especially when they are so over stretched. I’m not saying that is commonplace but they weren’t worried about being disciplined so maybe it is? There is no accountability. The services is very poor for most people at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,997 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They cherrypick the best staff. $$$$$$$ taxpayers money to train and pay for them, then the offer arrives… adios. Two examples…..The best consultant neurologist in the country went from the Mater to The Hermitage, full time…

the best cardiologist ( allegedly, *cough* ) too sits in both the Mater …and a private facility…. How is that allowed..? You are a Mater employee, why doesn’t the contract prohibit that ? Does in any jobs I’ve had…

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Humria

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PeterPan92

Jobseekers allowance is complete BS. If you lose your job you should get 80% pay for 1 year while you look for a new one. If you are on long term JSA you should get money preloaded onto a card for a supermarket of your choice. This cannot be used on cigarettes or alcohol, only food items and household essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭GavPJ

And be made to do voluntary work in the National Rehabilitation Hospital too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Women in general have far more low-brow hobbies and interests than men.

They're the target audience for shows where you don't need to use your brain to watch them like Dancing With the Stars and every other reality tv show. I believe there is a Dancing With the Stars podcast too- don't know many fellas that would subscribe to that.

They are the reason why there is a market for celebrity gossip.

Chick-lit novels wouldn't have many complex storylines. The Fifty Shades of Grey and Magic Mike franchises wouldn't exactly be modern masterpieces of cinema but kept getting made because women loved them.

I don't know many women into history or politics. Or even the geography of continents.

They also get away with being more slobbish than men too (wine o'clock, pyjamas in public...)

Yet men watching sport all weekend is bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

More Whites. More Cats. More Nigerians

• Registered Users Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭pgj2015

99% of men in relationships are under the thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Storage heaters are a decent way to heat your house.

I had them in a few rental places and had no problems. Dunno what all the moaning for decades about them was about. Probably mostly from plumbers come to think of it.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,413 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I left out another controversial opinion I still have. In fact in some corners of boards.ie it has made me somewhat of pariah. And it was as if some spat on the ground, when they saw my username, as a result.

It was during the proposed RIC/DMP commemorations. Which were very erroneously termed 'black and tan' commemorations by many. They were even termed 'celebrations' by some posters, while some were even more hyperbolic with their analogies. When they compared it to the Gestapo/Nazi's.

But the truth was the proposed commemorations were to be a long period in Irish history from the 1800's until the foundation of the Free State. 1816-1922 RIC in Ireland which became permanent in 1836.

I had zero issue with the proposed commemorations, in fact I welcomed them, as a sign of Ireland as nation growing up.

However, I remember now been shocked at normally rationale Irish historians in the media stoking up old fears. There was very little objectivity on the subject.

One of my arguments was many of those who were members of the RIC were more 'culturally Irish' than many of those who were vehemently against the RIC commemorations at the time.

In the Solohedbeg Ambush of 1919 when 10 IRA volunteers ambushed two RIC men both born and bred Irishmen - one from Cork and one from Mayo. Both Catholics as well, men who took their faith seriously. They were named Patrick O'Connell and James McDonnell respectively.

Both men were said to be popular policemen locally. Not the 'oppressors' many spin the blanket narrative as.

I argued that the man from Mayo - Constable McDonnell, aged 50 and a native of Belmullet, Co. Mayo was much more 'culturally Irish' than the majority of Irish people currently alive. And the much more-so than vast majority of those who were 'anti' the commemorations. He was a widower and the father of five young children. Also a very key point, he was a native Irish speaker.

Furthermore, I stated at the time of the commemorations furore - even looking closer at the background of the signatories of the Proclamation of Independence such as Eamon Ceannt. Born Edward Kent his own father (James Kent) served as an officer in the RIC stationed in Ballymoe - Galway, and then Ardee - Louth. Before retiring in Dublin.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Clontarf_West/Fairview_Avenue/1271130/

Beyond the signatories, there are many more with RIC family backgrounds. Such as Tom Barry's father who were members of the RIC. In fact, Barry's father reached the rank of Sgt.

My point is history is much more complex, than simple narrow narratives that are rewritten. All to suit current political viewpoints.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ger outta here with yer ‘facts’ and nuance!

History is Good and Evil and that’s that

Seriously though, it was painted as if the Black and Tans and auxiliaries were being celebrated for the atrocities they committed and not just ordinary men who were policemen and many of whom joined the Gardai. And decades of history integral to Ireland. Getting a load of interested people together to discuss that topic seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Forget where I heard it and kinda connected to your point. ‘The Irish Revolutionary hates the Crown but loves the Half-Crown’. That is, money sent from a relative working in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,720 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

For me, the problem was that they heated the apartment during the day, when I was out, and were mostly out of heat when I came home for the evening and needed heat most.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

My controversial opinion is too many people have dogs. Not good for animal welfare, not good for the planet, how much resource goes into producing dog food etc.

I know is a lot of people use dogs for work, farmers etc and a a lot of people have a genuine love for their dog.

However how does one deal with the large number of people who get a dog as a cool attachment to their lives, they see this idealised version of dog ownership but don't realise the work that goes into that and the fact that they may not form a bond with their dog.

There should be some screening mechanism for dog ownership.

I don't expect anyone to agree hence my "controversial opinion" but it is based on my own experience as a novice dog owner that did not end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Might be more of a TA but the only time acceptable to use WhatsApp for voice calls is while abroad on hotel wifi.

Couple of family members constantly call me using it and the quality can often be crap. I usually decline the call and ring back properly.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,413 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Funny enough now you say that. I was just back from the country a family thing. Old aunt is a widow at this stage. But loves animals. Keeps the dogs until they literally drop.

They have 8 of them in the farm. More dogs than people in her house. They have one little dog who who is about 17/18 deaf and with one eye. A few working dogs. Then they always end up keeping strays etc.

But I would agree with ya there should be some better system. Grand people can love animals etc. But it can get silly.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I think the Toy Show is cynical shite and that people who go to the airport before Christmas with ‘Welcome Home’ banners are just desperate to get on the news.

Bah humbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't think they were ordinary. They were often shell-shocked and might have seen all their friends killed right in front of them in France or Belgium. Then they are sent to Ireland to 'police' it and start killing civilians and causing havoc.

That is not normal even by the standards of colonial policing.

Irish people aren't required to be 100% detached from our own history imo. We should take our own side, not just look at ourselves through a laboratory microscope.

We ought to detached about Black nationalism and Ukrainian nationalism, which we are technically on the outside of.

Post edited by growleaves on

Apologies, could’ve typed that a bit more clearly, meant the RIC for generations were ordinary men. Black and Tans and Auxiliaries, totally agree, war ravaged and God knows what other problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

A fair proportion use "the woman" as a handy excuse to get out of things as well - "ah I'd love to head out but she has been at me all week" etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

To be fair id say the majority of blokes make on the spot decisions & there wife's talk a bit of sense into them an they agree,

Like "ye sure i'll go for a rake of beer tonight why not " then there wife says but you have to do X , Y & Z tomorrow & you'll also use that cas h for X next week , Then when you say look i can't make it out your seen as under the thumb , If your Wife say no to you doing things with no good reasoning behind it you've married the wrong person ,

But of course there are some exception i know one lad who can't go to get a hair cut without the missus saying she & the kids will go with him ,& for example if she goes to get her nails done he has to literally wait outside with the kids, Literally neither of them are allowed do anything on there own ,

So the men are all stupid and the women are the brains of the operation? like on all those tv and radio adverts, like the one where the husband is eating frozen peas?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No but men tend to agree to doing things with the mates without thinking of the greater good ,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,966 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A lot of really stupid people ran out and bought dogs and helped create this monster.

Have a good long look at yourselves 'dog lovers'.

• Advertisement

You are still saying men are stupid and do things without thinking.

Advertisement