Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Allocate some of Phoenix park to social housing.

It looks like the woman in that second picture is telling the train it's been a good boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭GavPJ

I admire someone who sticks to their principles.

But I think the whole family are always looking for an arguement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Like a health warning, news articles about Union disputes should be required to have a reminder at the end. ‘The primary aim of this union is to protect and improve the pay and working conditions of their members’.

Teaching and healthcare unions sometimes trade on the subterfuge that a negotiation will mean better outcomes for students or patients but in reality that would just be an unintended consequence of the improved position of their members.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭pjordan

Some people should not be allowed have children....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

Absolutely agree. The INMO are the worse. Hospital A&E crisis? I know, lets go on strike, that'll improve it. What about a 5 day working week, shown to improve working conditions and provide a better quality of care? (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3608421/) - oh no, we can't do that - how will we able to cope with a 5 day working week with no opportunity for agency work on the side?

SIPTU were at it as well this week talking about paramedics / ambulance crews being overwhelmed and how they were sooo concerned about patient care and safety.

These are hard jobs, and ICU nurses suffered greatly during Covid (PTSD will be an issue going forward for some of them I am sure), but health care workers don't have a monopoly on hard jobs. What they do have are good PR machines that spin the altruistic vocational nature of heath care workers and how they are so badly treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭GavPJ

You need a license for a dog. Anyone can have a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

And in Covid times either ASTI or INTO, completely tone deaf, ’teachers and their families should be getting the vaccine ahead of guards and some other frontline workers’ was the jist of it.

Employers would walk all over employees without unions and the protections they have won over time. But sh1t like this just pisses me off and damages the good that they do.

I know one person I went to college with went into a job, no interest in the field, just because they had a strong union that they could get into and in their words ‘cause trouble and stick it to the government’. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lots of people don't bother, because they're unlikely to get caught.

Having a licence doesn't necessarily turn you into a responsible owner either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nobody under 18 should have access to social media.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

These are hard jobs, and ICU nurses suffered greatly during Covid (PTSD will be an issue going forward for some of them I am sure)

How exactly?

If the deaths of end of life patients would effect them that hard surely they are in the wrong career

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

That’s a bit simplistic tbf to ICU nurses and doctors. It’s a bit like saying no soldier should suffer from ptsd.

It was a combination of high death rates amongst patients in their care and the almost constant grief and abuse they were getting from families of people in ICU with Covid who couldn’t get in to see their family members that caused stress for doctors and nurses in ICU from what I’ve been told.

I recruited a couple of temporary nurses during covid into non patient facing roles and most applicants were ICU nurses who had just had enough. I also know a couple of consultants who were on the front line in ICU. Their experiences of trying to manage patients during the early stages of the pandemic especially were hugely stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Same for every news article about corporate developments, with a reminder at the end 'The primary aim of this company is to make money for its shareholders by selling products and services, regardless of need.

And same for every news article about political developments, with a reminder at the end 'The primary aim of this politician is to get themselves re-elected at the next election".

And same for every news article about a sports team, with a reminder at the end 'The primary aim of this manager is to extend their contract and make money for their shareholder".

Or do you just not like unions standing up for their members?

You understand that this is thread is about posting controversial opinions, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I don’t know if it’s controversial, but the reason prince harry ‘left’ the English royal family is hes no son of charlie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Take your pick!

The English FA Cup is boring. Yet they constantly drone about the magic of the FA Cup. But the big teams play their 'B teams' for a lot of the early rounds.

Ireland should join the commonwealth as an option to sort the Brexit/NI issues out.

Now that abortion is legalised it will lead to some serious moral questions with issues such as disability Downs Syndrome etc. But this was hardly mentioned at the time of the debate.

Heard a woman on radio today going on about violence against women saying 11 women have died since Ashling Murphy. As if it is some kind of epidemic. But looking at the overall homicide figures v other countries Ireland has one of the lowest homicide rates per capita. I feel there is a lot of hysteria when there is a woman murdered at the moment because of vested interests and agendas. The reality is Ireland is a very safe place compared to the vast majority of countries.

And Primary School and playschools should be all taught through Irish (as Gaeilge) and eventually secondary schools in a phased basis over 30 years.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Hoop66

A lot of people like to claim this, but I think it's just an urban myth that James Hewitt is his father. Look at a picture of a young Prince Philip and compare to Harry; they are almost identical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Yes, and further to this point - human beings are not really as important or vital as we seem to think we are. I mean in terms of earth's Eco-system.

We are ostensibly just a very VERY successful apex predator. We've never really evolved much past this point, despite all of our clever science and technology and wisdom. You could actually argue that this planet would not really miss us if we all disappeared tomorrow - and would in fact flourish to a large degree. Bees on the other hand... considerably more important.

But then I guess you could argue for our value, based on our huge largely untapped potential. So yes, I guess we should ensure the survival of our species just in case we might be needed at some point in the future. But give the honey bees greater representation at a governmental level. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Expand the Phoenix park.

I'll take animals in the park any day of the week, over some of the animals you get elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

Mushrooms improve any dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Especially all the mushrooms found in Taiwan.

Mine is Tofu is a delicacy similar to cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

And the thing about it, going on recent news articles, he would have got himself in less trouble if he fiddled with a student.

The trans movement is dangerous and has no place in a school setting. I would hazard a guess too that said student probably isn't the best academically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I believe there’s other race more advanced than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think we have a very very poor understanding of our past,

To many times in recent years have artefacts & structures been found that seem much older than previous thought possible,

I think we could be way off in our understanding of ancient history ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We've long since ceased to be predators in favour of farming.

Just another species really and our cities are like ant hills. The earth has had ice ages and before,the last one lasted 25 thousand years,that probably would be the end of most of humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Enoch burke wasn't suspended because of a transgender student, he was suspended because he had an outburst and screamed at his boss at a work event.

He was then suspended on full pay pending investigation, but wouldn't stay away which led to the high court, contempt of court etc

The whole palaver was about getting maximum exposure for himself, he manufactured the entire situation, if he wanted to be quietly working away as a teacher he could easily still be doing that (he never even had to come in contact with the child in question), he chooses maximum disruption instead.

Advertisement