Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Comical/Hysterical COVID News Stories of the past few years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

A couple of lads talking about it on Boards is hysteria now! The revisionism about Covid in here is astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,126 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Reminds me of that New York Congresswoman Ocasio Cortez partying away in a packed Florida bar when NY was still under lockdown.

Big deal, restrictions were only for the little people anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Our brave Boys in Blue - saving lives during Covid

Read again. Your the only one that mentioned children and pints... You're getting hysterical again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,116 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Apparently you're deeply concerned about deaths from hunger in the world. Are none of them children?

And this isn't just an insincere argument you've latched onto because some obstacles were put in the way of you having a few pints.

So go ahead, show us a post on this site unrelated to covid where you express concern over food waste and how it relates to worldwide hunger.

Otherwise yes, your faux concern is hysterical.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember the lads who were paranoid that Bill Gates had put chips in the vaccine. Same lads who were paying a fortune every month for the latest iCrap which tracks their every movement.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭jackboy

In fairness the icrap stuff does not come from bill gates so maybe they were on to something😂

I guess you couldn't find that post then? So proof positive that your concern was not sincere.

What drinks were you talking about here then? A glass of wine? Why were you "having" to spend €9 if you weren't out for a few drinks?

Look at the attempts to backtrack now the insincerity of your argument is laid bare for all to see.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120110511/#Comment_120110511

• Advertisement

I do a lot of work for my local food bank. Lots of people in my local area struggle to get by.

It's easy to understand how privileged people immediately think of hunger as an African baby issue though.

It was disappointing knowing that so much food was being wasted when so many are in need. Not to mention that COVID is worse for heavier people.

As for the drinks, I frequently drive to the pub and drink soft drinks. Not everyone who goes to the pub wants to skull pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

Jasus,lame attempt to catch someone out,you nailed the poster there.everybody doesn't like wasting food especially when others don't have it,big deal they went to the pub and didn't want to waste food,it was a stupid rule as most people would agree then and now looking back,.but keep defending the government no matter what.

Sure, show us the posts where you talk about this pre covid.

Absolutely zero connection between food waste in restaurants before or during covid, and the issues you talk about.

Struggling to get by is not the same as qualifying in "hunger kills more than COVID."

And if you're talking in general about hunger killing people, the absolute vast majority is in third world countries, and to pretend otherwise is absolutely desperate stuff. You are showing your 'privilege' there. When you talked about hunger killing more than COVID you weren't referencing any African victims there no? It was obvious what you were referencing and now you are desperately backtracking.

All the times you were put out by the €9 meal you were out for soft drinks? That's the only time it bothered you? And you think that's a fair representation of the people who were put out by the rule, or indeed all the times you were out? Not a chance.

You couldn't have skipped the meal at home knowing you were going out somewhere you had to purchase food?

Pull the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Maybe you wouldn't be so angry at the world if you allowed yourself to have a laugh at your own expense every now and again?

Like, fair enough you didn't agree with the substantial meal thing but throwing in the world hunger thing was a stretch, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Back to our regular programming folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You don't get any more hysterical than what society did to this poor man. Shame on everybody.

On the lighter side, you could only laugh at the morons when they proudly announced that they were allowing 200 spectators into venues that could hold 5000 people.

I just remembered, in my area they put big gates up at the entrance to a big forest...

Absolutely no way you could stay safe in a large, quiet forest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It's been mentioned in an earlier post but Luke O Neill rolling around in a bubble on Prime Time and claiming it was a legitimate way to get people back to gigs, all while keeping a straight face, was easily the most hilarious/absurd thing that appeared in any form of Irish media during Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Walking into Easons when shops opened and a big yellow tape around the childrens books area .You could browse all you liked for adult books but had to ask for a staff member to get you a childrens or young adults book . I still smile at the ridiculousness of it .

Go to Dunnes and the mens trousers were behind a tape , I asked a staff member to get me a pair of trousers for my husband such a size and colour . He asked me was is an essential item and we both laughed when I said yes his arse is coming out of the the pair he has .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

There was a lot of nonsense on all sides JD.

There was also a lot of sense and people know more now although it was a hard bitter lesson.

• Advertisement

I wish I had your confidence that a lot was learned. As far as I could see we learned nothing after the first summer and just implemented the exact same stuff the second summer. I suspect if we ever have another pandemic we will go with the exact same stuff again, including the beach dancing guards.

I disagree.

The reason we shelved restrictions in this country with Omicron coursing through the community was due to lessons learned.

Also the commentary on guards and nurses is remarkably similar in its content to those protests by so called freedom groups in other countries who harassed and intimidated public servants, and also picketed their homes with their families inside .

Same posters public servant bashing ...hilarious alright.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

I don’t think so. A lot of our restrictions could not work with Omicron as it’s too infectious. Only a level five would have worked on that and it was not dangerous enough after so many were vaccinated.

If Omicron was more severe we would have gone straight back to all the old restrictions.

Yes ? But point is they were dropped because unnecessary .

Why? because lessons learnt , that now we were less at risk due to vaccination that the previous abundance of caution was no longer necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Some people obviously still can't acknowledge that a good bit of it was outright crazy. Since that would be admitting that they were caught up in the craziness themselves. So it must still be defended and sense found where none was no matter what. Let it go lads & lassies, its ok now, we can laugh about these crazy things together.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Did the speaker of the house not get caught having a haircut IIRC ?

After my injection Google was still able to track me when I left my phone at home. Grabs coat 🤣 There were some crackers alright in the weird crowd.

The lack of oxygen probably made it a better idea when he was in it than it was actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There certainly were.

I remember a friend of mine who was absolutely against the vaccine and who was sailing very close to the wind on the whole 5G Bill Gates stuff. We spoke on the phone one day and he was like 'I'm never getting that suff no matter what' and I told him I got my second shot only yesterday. So he asked me to get a fridge magnet and hold it against my arm where I got vaccinated 'cos he 'heard somewhere' that the nanoparticles would make the magnet stick.

Sadly those people didnt even realise they didnt do 'the cause' any favour. All the media had to do was focus on that loony stuff and any covid critic was discredited immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭prunudo

Unfortunately that trend continues with the media, no matter the current topic of the day, if you dare raise a point, an opposing view or even question what the mainstream narrative you're painted as a loony, a tin foil hat wearer, a gembot or even more recently describing protesters as sinister.

But back to funny reactions to covid rules, a friend giving out to me because i went 4.5km away from home, the day before it officially went to from 2 to 5km anyway

Advertisement