Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"Political tools"

Give me a break from the conspiracy theory nonsense.

The evidence for restrictions is Christmas 2020. The government did exactly what you wanted and opened up everything. And what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,482 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Already answered, because we (Ireland) were too cautious in reopening post vaccine rollout, we should have opened up, understanding that restrictions may be necessary in Winter as other virus or variants became apparent (which is what happened) and the impact against infectiousness waned.

We should have been aligning our booster strategy directly with the flu season instead of opening it up to 18+ year olds in December when the impacts won't really be felt (numbers start dropping in January anyway as there are much less gatherings and social interactions). We'll see if we make the same mistake next year.

My posts from 2021 spelled this out in detail and you're still stuck on the same narrative as you have always been.

As you are a poster who was anti-vax before the vaccines rolled out, this is unsurprising of you, but it would take an absolute explosion in numbers of people impacted by the vaccine (like millions) and for COVID to stop impacting anyone for this to even start to be possible. There is absolutely zero evidence of this.

Fact.

Vaccine spending is a fraction of a % of the health budget. The cost/reward for vaccines is greater than all other medicines and treatments that are administered as they prevent hospitalisations and treatment being needed. This goes for the entire population, regardless of age/fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Pure obfuscation.

You agree then, vaccinations were not the reason restrictions were lifted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

How much did the vaccine program cost so?

All I can find is an Oireachtas question from July 2021 to the Minster who flags that the cost will be "well in excess of €200m".

It doesn't sound like an insignificant sum of money. How many hospitalizations were saved among people in the 30's and younger?

You seem very confident they were great value but on what basis?

I'd agree of all the billions spent on Covid, the vaccines were probably the best value but even that isn't saying much. As for the rest of the €50bn added to our debt, it's absolutely scandalous that so much was spent on the basis of so little accountability or questioning of the value we were getting

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Anti ineffective covid shot=yes

For effective vaccines=yes

Anti-vax=you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There is no conspiracy theory here. Disagreeing with a point doesn't automatically make it a conspiracy theory. That's just school yard level debate being perfectly honest.

You're arguing that the basis of restrictions at the start of the pandemic is based on Christmas 2020. That's just absurd really.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I'm not disputing that vaccines and Omicron both had a part to play and I would somewhat agree with your point. However, it still boiled down to a lack of political appetite to remove restrictions in August/July 2021 when most other countries were moving on due to high vaccine uptake.

If someone can explain why literally everyone, in every country, whose job it is to protect public health in was in favour of restrictions, face masks and vaccines when in fact it's all nonsense, then I'm all ears.

Conversely, if anyone can explain why literally everyone with a vested interest in fostering discontent and peddling consipracy theories pre-Covid turned out to be against restrictions masks and vaccines, and why we should take such people seriously, then I'm also very interested to hear this.

If anyone can explain why we should have disregarded the WHO, HSE, CDC, EMA and whoever else, and should have listened to Eddie Hobbs, Gemma O'Doherty, the National Party, Jair Bolsanaro and Joe Rogan, then likewise, answers on a postcard.

As it is, this thread is the death rattle of a bunch of very bitter posters shaking their fists at the sky, having been proved spectacularly wrong and looking for someone to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If someone can explain why literally everyone, in every country, whose job it is to protect public health in was in favour of restrictions, face masks and vaccines when in fact it's all nonsense, then I'm all ears.

It's called arse-covering. It's what public officials are extremely good at. Why take the risk when it's only tax-payers moneys that is being flushed away.

And not "literally everyone, in every country" was in favour of the restrictions adopted. Anyone in Ireland who stuck thier head above the parapet was drummed out though - groupthink is great

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/doctor-resigns-from-hospital-group-after-comments-on-draconian-covid-19-curbs-1.4356244

They restrictions themselves varied wildly from country to country and sometimes even within countries, so the narrative you're peddling is quite frankly bullshite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yes, that was a big mistake. We should have been opened up that Summer. If we were a lot of the people who avoided the vaccines would have got covid then, significantly reducing the winter impact on the hospitals.

Pubs "serving food" were very much open in December 2020.

And even with some pubs staying closed and a lot of people hesitant to go to the ones that were open, we still got an absolute tidal wave of infections.

What loops got you to that? We should have opened up in September, we didn't (other countries did), expecting that there would likely be restrictions over winter for the reasons outlined above (make effort here to look at those reasons and don't spin away) then when we got through winter, the restrictions were lifted, all down to the vaccine rollout and reducing the hospitalisation figures even when infection rates went very high.

I know this is complex to follow through and not fall back to pithy answers and slogans, but at least make some effort. As said, your own posting and predictions at the time were laughable while, as posted, everything pretty much went as I said (and I got a €50 donation to charity out of a crypto-bro from it).

Spidermon0081 anti-vax before COVID vaccine rollout=yes

For the 30 year olds, you not only save on the hospitalisation costs (and this group costs a lot when hospitalised as they usually survive rather than die, which is a good thing) you also reduce R for passing it onto other more vulnerable people. That's how vaccines work, that's why their cost/benefit is so great, if we had spent a billion (which we didn't) on the rollout it would still have been great value for money vs. the other costs of the health service and the costs of ongoing restrictions and lockdowns (and if you're one of the "there should never have been restrictions" loopers, then there is no hope for you, all scientific evidence says otherwise so you have to fall back on ranting and raving).

I guess no one ever got respiratory illnesses in December before COVID and hospitals were usually quiet in December... Right?

What happened in December 2020 had nothing to do with allowing inter county travel for 7 days.

It's normal for people to get sick in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Strange. I vaccinated my children long before covid.

2023 will be an awakening.

You are all over the place mate.

On the one hand you believe vaccines were what released us from restrictions.

Let me remind you what you said just yesterday.

"But let's be clear, no amount of wishcasting changes the fact that it was the vaccines allowed lockdowns and restrictions to go, low vaccinated places got hit badly by Omicron"

On the other hand you suggest that even at record high vaccination rates we still should have imposed restrictions at Christmas time last year.

You aren't making any sense.

• Advertisement

Read about R rates first, understand them and then come back. This can't be continually dumbed down for you.

If you fundamentally don't understand, say so, it can all be explained on the vaccine thread rather than gish galloping in here.

Or if you refuse to understand (as seems to be the case) say so as well and others can take your posts as they wish.

Ah, the old switcheroo, beautifully done I may add.

Subtile reframing to include masks and vaccines. Throw in a sprinkling of controversial figures. Mix with an appeal to authority. Add in a dash of an argument nobody made. Hey presto, you have the perfect strawman cake baked to perfection.

Read the whole thread. Lots of people questioning whether masks are useful. Lots of people in the posts immediately above not just questioning but outright denying vaccines are a good thing.

An appeal to authority is valid when the authority is actually an authority. e.g when discussing a global pandemic, WHO are a relevant authority, Joe Rogan is not, no matter how much you don't like what the former says and how slickly the latter packages his bullsh1t.

There were lots of things we got wrong during the pandemic, but overall the government and public bodies did a very decent job. Some people would rather choke themselves on their own bile than admit that.

You keep shifting your argument...are you now suggesting R Rates had something to do with the lifting of all restrictions?

You are shifting the argument because you can't answer a simple question. You can't answer that question because you know you are wrong.

"But let's be clear, no amount of wishcasting changes the fact that it was the vaccines allowed lockdowns and restrictions to go" - That statement is absolutely incorrect - If that statement was correct, we'd have lifted all restrictions in Sept 2021 when 95% of us were fully vaccinated.

Keep trying to take sly digs at me all you want...we are just going around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Eh no, your argument is all over the place, so have to resort to these logical games.

Your claims about Omicron were disproved by what happened in Hong Kong.

You are completely unable to engage with the evidence of support of the effectiveness of vaccines or the natural experiment which completely cuts the legs out from your position.

Your argument is based on a false premise, because you don't accept the effectiveness of vaccines in preventing severe covid, unlike every major health authority in the world and in denial of the scientific consensus and evidence demonstrating this.

Omicron alone could not have done it, well without a lot of deaths getting to the point where everyone was either dead or recovered.

It is vaccination which has put us into the fundamentally better position, so that when Omicron arrived, we could cope. The combination of vaccination, and restrictions got us through the initial Omicron surge while avoiding the human cost we saw in Hong Kong.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

There has been 0 shifting, just you completely unable to engage in any good faith discussion without bouncing around.

Vaccines reduced R and hospitalisations. This allowed us to open up.

Ireland were hesitant about opening up after the meaningful christmas debacle in 2020 so were ultra cautious when opening up again and R was rising again coming into winter causing them to delay reopening. We could have opened up more in September due to the vaccines as Denmark and other countries had. There was also the waning effect against infection (from both the vaccinated and previously infected) that was causing cases to rise that again caused the authorities to be cautious in reopening but as the winter went by it was clear that the link of cases to hospitalisations was broken making restrictions unneeded.

Please say you understand this, my statement is absolutely correct, trying to pin it to Omicron (which didn't exist when Denmark was opening up) is false.

Again, if you want to go into further detail, the vaccine thread is there to talk about it, or the relaxing restrictions thread (where this was already done to death and where my predictions, as shown already, came true).

You are the one who keeps shifting the argument.

Not me.

You are the one bouncing around, talking about Denmark, R Rates, the christmas of 2020. You are not engaging in good faith.

The vaccines were not the ultimate reason we dropped all restrictions. You are incorrect. It is very simple.

Well, it's important to continually question things when they are impacting people's lives. In a functioning democracy that's how it should be.

Now, using Rogan as an authority is plain daft in my opinion and I wouldn't for one second be using that as a basis for any argument.

There are valid questions that need to be asked of the governments and health authorities around the entire pandemic response though and I would include the WHO because they haven't covered themselves in glory throughout this pandemic. For the most part I honestly believe decisions were made in good faith. Where I see a problem is that good faith alone shouldn't be enough to strip back civil liberties to the scale we saw and the longer term impact to both our own society and poorer nations who really took the brunt end of the stick by shutting down the global economy.

It's best to leave the nutters on both sides to their own devices because you can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Translation: please don't bring up Denmark or Hong Kong because I have no answer to it. Even though they are the natural experiments which disprove your claim.

And what was different between them - vaccines.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

It is vital these topics are discussed at National Level.

The WHO are pushing for a Pandemic Treaty which will impact all of us in the future should we experience another pandemic.

Which our Government has signaled it's willingness to sign.

Advertisement