Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most Comical/Hysterical COVID News Stories of the past few years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

ffs, this was meant to be funny not another point scoring thread

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What I find odd about it all as well...did one Irish politician grow in stature during the crisis.

I remember the Financial Crisis in 08-10, even if you didn't like the policies and most of us didn't, Lenihan grew in stature, (whereas Cowen most definitely didn't) you felt he was in a difficult position doing his best and had some degree of intellect and integrity...I can't think of one politician that would be comparable. Everyone one of them were buffoonish...from Varadkar quoting hollywood movies in speeches, to the Harris/Donnelly debacle (as in which one was worse)...or Martin scolding a TD for asking about cancer/heart disease screenings, and that is with the most compliant media the political system could ever of asked for!!!

Is there any point to even ask them to explain our current excess deaths? WE'd just get a line from Top Gun Maverick or something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I forgot the hysteria over the €9 meal.

I never knew people were so terrified of the idea of eating food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Not possible, because it's inherently a thread saying that the pandemic wasn't a big deal and anyone trying to avoid mass deaths was a stupid c*nt. That's the sole purpose of this thread.

But sure look, only somewhere between 6 and 20 million people are dead so on with the lols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭jackboy

For me it was after the public were banned from going to beaches some guards thought it would be a good idea, while on duty, to make a video dancing on the beach and put it on the internet. Epic trolling of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

And this post for me is proof that you people will defend absolutely everything that was done during Covid no matter how fcuking ridiculous it was. De man on de telly told me to do it so it must be right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't see how that's any worse than the anti-vaxx cult around John Campbell.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There are people who went all in on defending the covid hysteria, if you highlight the absurdity of it all you will just shine a light on their own idiocy so its no surprise they don't want that to happen. Its just the same 4/5 posters in all these threads still beating the same drum, fighting the good fight.

Personally I can only find dark humor in the whole thing, but one that stands out are those particular morons doing that tiktok dance video.

Stay away from the windy and wide open beaches, unless you are a guard doing a stupid dance of course. If you didn't laugh at that you would cry.

That was insane alright...same with the nurses tik toks...

But when the politicians and medical professionals egged on the protesters in the Summer of 2020 was when they really took the mick!!! What was it...racism is a bigger virus than covid or some such!

Or were on about the "new normal"...never explained that one tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I don’t know who John Campbell is or what this has to do with my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Funniest pic I saw was the one with "Phil Hogan" in that bar in town where the barman was standing on the bar pouring drink into customer's mouths!

It was when he took that little trip around the country when he came back from the EU for a week and there were reports of him popping up everywhere.

I can't find it now unfortunately. Anyone got a copy?

He had a lovely silly smile on his face and looked so good in his suit in among everyone.

Really funny pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

The division of people was mad as well, and would be funny to look back on if it wasn't still so evident in this thread.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was hilarious. The hand wringing and apoplexy about it as if it was some unique plot against pubs. When it was the publicans who asked for it because under the original plan pubs serving food would be shut and only restaurant licencees open. Gombeens.

Short memories.

I'll exempt anyone who had bad memories of the nightclub dodgy chicken curries though... in either direction :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sekiro

The utter absurdity of Varadkar trying to get movie quotes into his speeches when things were at their height. People dying, people confused, nobody really knowing what's going to happen and this absolute clown is having a laugh seeing if he can get movie quotes in to his announcements.

The media lapping it up too. If he wants to wedge LOTR or Terminator lines into a speech then maybe there's a time and a place for that?

Genuinely wonder at times how seriously our politicians were taking the issue.

That's a couple of new deaths today Mr Taoiseach, bring our total so far to 1699. "Grand, do you think I can get a Mean Girls quote into my speech later? It'll be some laugh."

So fetch! Leo Varadkar quotes Mean Girls in speech (rte.ie)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sweetemotion and RNFoxtrot threadbanned

It's nice to have a thread where we can just look back at how ridiculous it all was.

I think my favourite though was Leo going to a festival in the UK while we were still heavily restricted.

Even he knew it was a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭fm

No one is making a joke of anyone who was sick or died whatsoever,only of some of the daft decisions made by our government or some or the media outlets bizarre shows.you are just looking to be offended about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭fm

So the publicans came up with the 9 euro meal so,I thought it was based on science and us plebs just didn't understand it, according to a few on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah it was hilarious watching the gombeens wail and moan about a measure they asked for ie for pubs serving food to be allowed to remain open. Other jurisdictions similarly had rules different for pubs v restaurants.

People interact differently drinking v put for a meal.

Then some other gombeen came out with a great joke saying a pint and packet of crisps is a meal.

So the government had to put some measure in regulations to denote a pub serving food and used the existing substantial meal concept which mapped to 9 euros.

Simple.

You may aswell wonder why speed limits are 50 kmh not 47 or you can drink at 18 not 18 and 213 days.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id forgotten out the Gardai and their silly dance. It was so tone deaf of them when they had set up roadblocks in every town checking people werent going more than 5k away from home. I dont think they realised how tone deaf it was till the backlash started on social media. I think they had done it for some kind of charity challenge but no one cared when we were all locked up in our homes day in day out.

Not sure where I gave any opinion on it.

Just saying the trauma that the idea of eating food caused some was hilarious.

Lighten up lad.

I don't know who "de man on de telly" is or what he has to do with my post anyway.

Don't think anyone was traumatised by eating food.

For me personally, it was very frustrating to have to spend 9 euro on food and let it go to waste because I didn't want to eat.

Especially considering hunger kills more than COVID.

Because I didn't want to eat

You were only supposed to be going there to eat. That was the whole point.

And there you have it. The whole thread boils down to having pints.

You could have just spared us all a lot of time and led with that.

And in a thread that's supposed to be making fun of hysterical reactions, playing the "babies starving in Africa" card is absolutely top notch.

That simply won't be beaten. @[Deleted User] is today's Internet champion.

I forgot the amount of posters who actually defended the €9 meals...my god...even that nuttery was defended....probably defended the sound off the telly and ban on music as well!!! All the lads had to do was say "we are following the science" and bingo!!!

Cancelling kids sports was completely bonkers as well.

This thread is to look back and laugh at the COVID nonsense. Forcing people to purchase 9 euro worth of food is exactly the kind of anti science nanny state nonsense we are laughing about.

COVID knows to leave you alone if you've had some garlic bread.

Think you win the hysterical award to be fair.

Oops the "€9 meal" hysteria is still going strong. Didn't mean to rile up those with PTSD again.

Thank christ I didn't mention the people who couldn't tell the difference between a facemask and a nappy!

• Advertisement

Ah listen, when I resort to "WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN" as justification for wanting to swill a load of pints, then maybe I'll be a contender, as of now I'm only a pretender to your throne.

Advertisement