Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You have multiple times now run away from a simple question about vaccines. The rest of your post is an obvious attempt at deflection and bringing up irrellevent previous posts and deliberating misrepresenting them.

Do you accept the evidence for vaccines re: reduction of severe covid? Because it is impossible to debate the argument you are currently making without reference to their effectiveness.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I don't have a position on vaccines. I think it's a personal decision a person should make to take one. I think it is up to any individual to decide if the vaccines are effective. I'm "running away" from you because I have spent way too much time engaging with someone who has convinced themselves that Covid is worse than cancer....I should have run away form you a long time ago, you're obsession about vaccines should have been a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There was lots of news reports and studies into the variants, Kent was one of the first that had increased R vs. the Wuhan strain but multiple other variants were being tracked before that, they weren't different enough or spread enough to deserve their own classification (and there is still thousands of strains today).

Your memory of variants is very wrong.

Delta was both highly infectious and severe, it lengthened lockdowns by about 6 months. Omicron was more similar to the Wuhan strain but with increased infectivity and outcompeted Delta. If Delta hadn't happened we'd have reopened in Summer 2021 after the vaccine rollout was mostly done, even with Delta, the vaccines enabled much more freedoms than in 2020 (it also coincided with research about reinfection rates whether post virus or post vaccine caused by the human immune system shedding coronavirus antibodies after 6'ish months).

Because only an idiot uses one point of data during a pandemic, once the severity/infectivity was verified, everyone opened up. But let's be clear, no amount of wishcasting changes the fact that it was the vaccines allowed lockdowns and restrictions to go, low vaccinated places got hit badly by Omicron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

You don't know if we would have ended up like Hong Kong or not.

For starters it's a very high population density, high rise city.

• Advertisement

Maybe both of our recollections are unclear.

Delta lengthened OUR lock down, it didn't lengthen anyone else's. Our neighbours were wide open while we remained largely shut down well into the summer of 2021 despite a high vaccination rate even at that stage.....that was the summer we turned away the Euro matches to be played in Dublin in the middle of the summer...matches that were played in full stadiums all over Europe.

So, we only name the variants that are different enough or spread enough to warrant their own name...the first of which was Alpha, in November 2020...the same month the vaccines were rolled out...interesting.

How did they open up in the UK and everywhere else before us then?

You are free to believe what you like about vaccines, unlike you and others, I don't obsess over them. But let us not pretend that it was vaccines that released us here in Ireland from restrictions....if that were the case it would have happened in Sept 2021...but was Jan 2022 before all restrictions were dropped. It is an out an out lie to suggest otherwise.

The first of which was Kent which remained relatively dominant until they switched to the new naming scheme, the other variants of note that were no longer dominant weren't renamed either (California for example).

Wait, you said it was Omicron that allowed reopening?

Anyway, the UK had 2.5 times our death rate during that opened summer, this was after having 3 times the death rate earlier in the year, so, again, while gish gallop is in effect, not sure what point you are trying to prove:

Ireland: Coronavirus Pandemic Country Profile - Our World in Data

With the worst thing being that a lot of infection rate (and subsequent deaths) were occurring due to the open border we had with the UK where boris was more interested in himself than actually running the country:

Wait now...you said it was the vaccines that allowed us drop our restrictions...I said it was the mildness of Omnicron.

By Sept 2021 we were at approx 95% vaccination rate.

Why weren't restrictions dropped in Sept 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I can't give a qualified opinion whether vaccines were/are effective or they weren't. Also I've long given up reading statistics and studies and all that other corona nonsense so I can't comment on what second hand information I believe or not.

But if vaccine effectiveness is now met with scepticism the pharma companies, politicians & health officials and of course our heroic media outlets only have themselves to blame.

• Vaccines will stop you from getting infected - turned out to be wishful thinking (bollix)
    • Vaccines will stop you from passing it on - turned out to be wishful thinking (bollix)
    • Vaccines will stop the spread - turned out to be wishful thinking (bollix)
    • Vaccines will end the pandemic - turned out to be wishful thinking (bollix)
    • Vaccines prevent or significantly reduce severe illness - what remains to be the last un-debunked claim IMO. Hard to assess now what with milder variants, everyone having had 'it' and yes also everyone having had some vaccine, but if I was to go on form...

I could add a few of the more malicious side claims / threats like unless everyone gets vaccinated we never get out of this or the unvaccinated hold the country to ransom etc. For me a lot of trust or even benefit-of-the-doubt has been pissed away with this nasty episode that will never be regained.

So, no, I don't care anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The ending of restrictions had little to do with vaccines or Omicron. It was a political decision to end them, as bringing them in at the start was.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

...based on the advice of the experts who, regardless of what you may think, had access to more relevant information than we will ever see and were better placed than any of us to advise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Is that so? I mean they pumped us full of every minute detail of corona info all day every day. You telling me they held back the 'real' information that we would all believe and rally behind if only they had released it? I don't know about that...

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

There was much more in hospital with covid during Christmas 2021 compared to Christmas 2022,why is that? Christmas 2021 =delta and omicron, Christmas 2022 was all omicron.I would think less are boosted this Christmas compared to last and no masks or restrictions so omicron has played a bigger roll than the vaccine in keeping people out of hospital .

That could well be true and I honestly don't know, although why they wouldn't share this information should be a worry.

There's no doubt introducing restrictions was a political decision because the data wasn't there, even for the experts to make an informed decision (or so we've been told to date). In fact, restrictions and lockdowns went against many pandemic response plans that had been worked on since the Swine flu pandemic in 2009.

The lifting of restrictions was again a mostly political decision. The general population had more less stopped listening to the advice and had unofficially ended restrictions long before the government moved to officially end them. We were one of the most vaxed countries in the world and even the boosters had a high uptake. As a country we had done all we could do. We saw Europe opening up during that summer with the Euros being played and normal life returning yet we were somehow an outlier that needed more restrictions for longer.

It's clear we had a government working under an "abundance of caution" mantra long past the point it was actually necessary. There was only so long the economic taps could be left off and that really squeezed towards budget 2022.

Funnily enough, I also said (and feel free to check my posting history :)) we should have reopened in August 2021 expecting that we would have to go into lockdown over Xmas, this was the strategy that Denmark followed, by that time vaccines and boosters had pretty much curtailed delta as well but knowing that winter season would exacerbate cases (which it did). We (in Ireland) dragged the arse out of reopening, you can view my predictions and how correct they were:

I think it will be pretty much over by spring (mostly because of vaccines) but I could be wrong and it will take longer. The fact that most restrictions have dropped is an indication that those remaining will also drop (and some countries are completely dropping them already, some accepting a higher death count to do so).

If we were dealing with Alpha, we'd be at herd immunity by now, Delta changed the maths whether we like it or not.

(same thread, and I had meant to say original strain there, Alpha was the Kent variant not the original Wuhan strain).

And even growleaves backing me up ;)

I won't go into your "predictions" as they're pretty comical with hindsight (and foresight) :)

That is all lovely and all that...

But answer the question. Why didn't we open in Sept 2021?

This is what you said today...a few hours ago.

"But let's be clear, no amount of wishcasting changes the fact that it was the vaccines allowed lockdowns and restrictions to go"

Just answer that very simple question. No need to spend hours trawling thru your old posts...you said the above today.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Spiderman0081

And still managed to make all the wrong decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

There would have been many more deaths without the vaccines. Fact.

Why is this still being debated.

Debate the things that are debatable such as were the lockdowns worth it instead.

One gets long term immunity from vaccination aswell as subsequent infections, its a combination of the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Nothing to do with Omicron, lots to do with vaccines.

Bringing in restrictions was indeed a political decision, in that politicians would be responsible if the health service was overwhelmed and people were dying in their thousands.

Slightly odd that people use the success of restrictions in avoiding mass deaths as evidence that restrictions weren't needed.

It's like me saying my kids have never had measles or diphtheria so I don't know why I bothered giving them all those vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Spiderman0081

The covid shots have saved some lives. They have also taken the lives of some who were in no real danger of dying from covid. Time will tell if a net or negative harm has been done by this campaign. Everything is up for discussion. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Putting the word "fact" at the end of a sentence doesn't make it fact.

Fact.

They have saved WAY more lives than ever taken. Fact.

Unless you dont believe in peer reviewed science but then what can you do. Thats on you.

There's no need for time will tell it has already told us in dozens, nay hundreds, of medical papers for over two years already.

what's all the waffling about time will tell about....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

How much money and resources were spent giving Covid shots and boosters to people at no risk from Covid?

What could that money and resourcing have achieved if targeted at some other heath issues?

Time for a grown-up conversation and review of all the money spent over the 2 years and what was actually achieved. Money and resources are finite - there is a lost opportunity cost to spending them on one particular issue, but that's basically what happened for 2 years. We are starting to see the impact of that right now.

Before Omicron, almost the entire country was fully vaccinated and we still had lots of restrictions in place with no end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

That is because we had the pandemic of the unvaccinated 5%. Let's not forget that cohort who at all cost wanted to be in charge of their own medical decisions, such an inappropriate freedom in a modern western democracy these days.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Switching tack now lol.

That's a different argument you are now making.

There's a debate to be had, but the vaccines are very effective in reducing death and severe illness, many papers say 90% reduction. Hardly a waste of money or effort for a virus that is so contagious and widespread.

Again, that which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. There's no data to suggest mass deaths were avoided by shutting down the country, zilch, nil, nada.

It's very clear restrictions and lockdowns were political tools used and not based on any hard science. I don't know why that's such a controversial statement to be making. There's clear evidence now that the worst trolley crisis in the States history is unfolding right now. Hospitals are genuinely struggling and patients are dying yet it's business as usual for the government. Why is that do you think? The sad truth is they don't really care in normal times how the health service performs or how many people die on trolleys but by god COVID seemed to focus there minds for a period of time on a single issue and that's having significant knock-on effects now.

You've also made the all too common mistake of mind reading stuff that wasn't in my post. I'm not against vaccines, far from it. We would be a poorer world without any vaccines.

It's a clear fact that even with 90+ coverage of the population and almost 100% of the vulnerable cohorts vaxed there was still no appetite from our government to lift all restrictions. Now, tell me, why was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jackboy

The hard truth is that if Omicron turned out to be a more serious rather than a less serious variant then we would have been back into level five lockdowns, vaccines or no vaccines. The vaccines seemed to have worked sufficiently to stop our hospitals getting completely overrun with covid cases but no significant impact on transmission, so a more serious variant would and still could put us back to square one. Omicron was the most important factor in ending the pandemic.

Advertisement