Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most Comical/Hysterical COVID News Stories of the past few years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,509 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The grifter that sold energy drinks on Youtube suddenly becoming an expert in epidemiology and his blind following throwing cash at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Marcos

Ah now, to be fair Luke O'Neill has had a great covid.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The 9 euro meal will take some beating.

I was at a wedding in a hotel when this was in place. We had the wedding dinner, and then moved downstairs to the private bar of the hotel for the second part of the evening. In order for us to get a drink, every person had to order another 9euro meal as we were in a different part of the hotel. I've never seen such a shameful waste of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not really a news story but remember when Tubridy was doing those uplifting speeches during The Late Late Show when in actual fave he was just terrifying the elderly!

The rise and mainstreaming of conspiracy theories was comical because of how idiotic 99% of them were, until it became disturbingly tragic when some friends were preyed on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Edgy Irish lads going on that Fauci had to be "got". I flew into Knock airport for a friend's stag and there were stickers to that effect along with other guff in the stalls. I removed them.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I remember being in a pub and they had their dessert menus on the bar, conveniently all exactly 9 euro. 2 pints for the lads and 2 cheesecakes to stop the covid, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I almost forgot about oul Tubbers. Late Late Show audience masked long after mandates were lifted, but only for the plebs of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That poor bastard in Donegal being cajoled out of hospital by yer man, only to die an agonising death shortly afterwards.

Sure it was gas, wasn't it lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Pubs will never open again if we open retail.

2. Ireland can achieve zero covid without sealing country.

3. Summer 2022 social distancing should be brought back.

4. All the annoying people who said ending restrictions in Jan 2022 would be a disaster. Just too many to mention. Here is an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I remember watching a Euro game in a pub, all spaced out, vaccine passes checked, with the volume turned off yet it was the summertime...watching a match live from a European city with a packed stadium...when we wouldn't allow 500 people into a GAA stadium that had a capacity of 40,000 plus.

We wouldn't allow music either....because we might give in to the temptation of dancing!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I forgot this somehow:

The bleach bit, not the testing positive.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

@landofthetree it certainly gave lots of ones on Twitter a big following. Thankful the vast majority of these are forgotten about now.

Also all bedwetters claiming it was insane for the Brits to end restrictions at the height of summer with a very high vaccination rate.

They also wouldn't answer when asked when was the right time to end the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Tbh I don't find it funny in any comedic way which would make you laugh, COVID was bad enough but people's reactions somehow made it even worse than it needed to be imo. At the time it was really hard to believe the world would ever return to normal and these stories are kind of bringing back those really bad feelings of doom

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I suppose someone uses a slogan insult like 'bedwetters' as a substitute for thinking, could be expected to find thousands of deaths funny.

England's so-called Freedom Day, on 19 July, was a "gamble", which has contributed to more than 40,000 hospital admissions and more than 4,000 deaths.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-unprepared-nhs-and-flawed-government-policy-contributed-to-coronavirus-crisis-says-bma-12406796

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Nearly 200,000 Britons died and he's on about bedwetters. The pandemic really did bring out the worst in some people.

H. H. Asquith

They would still have restrictions if they listen to the NHS. They never wanted it to end. Same with our HSE. Blaiming their own failings on covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

haha I had forgotten about Luke o'Neill telling us to stick granny beside an open window on Christmas day, what madness.

There was the other one about the two 20 something year old Dublin girls who flew to Dubai to get their tits done during a Level 4 lockdown. When they were out there it changed to Level 5 and on their return they were whisked away by the army and placed into the 2,500 euro a stay Covid quarantine hotel near the airport. They had no money to pay the bill so they both escaped the hotel but Gardai promptly arrested them. Then it came out in court that they didnt get boob jobs at all and that was just a cover story for them to travel for 'medical reasons'. Twitter was speculating that they were really money mules for the Kinahans and then it came out one of them was a mother of a young child so further online meltdowns ensued. That one was great entertainment for a few days, I bet they never thought their boob jobs would become national news but thats what transpired.

I also remember a Spanish dentist from Lanzorote who rang up RTE radio one day complaining about her Irish customers. The government had just announced new travel rules that opened up travel abroad but only for medical reasons which you would have to prove at the airport. When the rule change got announced immediately she had loads of Irish ring her up for an appointment and asking her to confirm it by email. Then they printed the dentist email to show the Gardai at the airport as their proof of a 'medical reason' for travelling abroad. The poor Spanish dentist was left with an empty dentist chair for 2 weeks as all the Paddies with appointments were actually down the pub in Lanzorote with zero intention of attending her dentist lol. I laughed at that one becasue it was amazing the lengths people went to just to get the hell out of here and away from the constant lockdowns. I cant blame them either as it really was a stifling time, we were all losing our heads locked up for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

To be fair the Irish govt, NHPET and lots of other European health services basically used the Brits and Boris' gung-ho attitude as a proverbial canary in a mine, our rule changes usually followed theirs but only after they had proved that the risk was tolerable and it didnt overwhelm the hospitals. We were always 4-6 weeks behind what they did but that was no bad thing given we had a lot less deaths than them when all was said and done. But there was always those 4-6 week periods where they had opened up and we hadnt and everyone here was going mad about it, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Didn’t you sanctimoniously tell us that there was nothing funny about a pandemic that killed millions? Or is it just things that you don’t agree with that aren’t allowed to be funny?

I was referring to his comments about bleach. Obviously. I even added a comment to the post to that effect.

God, I'd forgotten about the sheep dewormer thing as well.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Nancy Pelosi saying everyone should visit China Town 24/02/20

Then Tweets this just over a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Never forget... how the population went completely crazy, fueled by the scaremongers in the media and the government.

This is brilliant, I am glad for google photos automatic backup

"When things were at their worst, we were at our best"

Some random queuing up outside shops/stores because you know 30 people inside is the limit. That resulted in more people going to the shops more often, also to beat boredom, queuing outside in the cold/rain: now that is absolutely beneficial for your general health. Please note that mask were not mandatory, and amazingly nobody dropped dead on the street.

Nearly forgot about Woody's and the sudden diy surge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Was there not some lad that tried selling loads of bog roll or was it hand sanitizer lost his shirt. Maybe misremembering but did amazon not keep it and not refund. ? Also the army trucks protecting PPE like it was nuclear waste or gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I remember the tension in the air back in March 2020 vividly...when the shops were packed with people panic buying, there was a tension everywhere for those few days before the lock downs were announced, I'll never forget it.

Thankfully, I never felt/experienced that tension again..no matter what stage we were at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Along with most of the posters on the thread it seems ...

The first few posts were funny but after that the thread descending into yet another bash party .

How about the pics without the partisan commentary ?

Advertisement