Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads ye need to start advertising for mods

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

inability to act on long-standing issues that are raised time and time again.

This. All the way back to when the 2 lads were in the office theirs stuff just ignored. Really this forum is a waste of time. Ye don't listen. Then start crying theirs no money and the mess/migration that followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

To be fair, that poster wasn't responding to Faith, but to muffler, with what seems on the face of it a reasonable counter to what he posted

the only people I see complaining ... are those who have been sanctioned in some form... Of course it's everyone else's fault but theirs

A forum you moderate had its charter ninja edited, with said change used against posters. There are legitimate grievances out there.

For what it's worth, people who haven't ended up on the wrong end of bad moderator decisions, generally don't have reason to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Theirs been little to no mod since the cock up. And all good.

And on the other hand we have a forum full of reported posts with people complaining about lack of moderation and how the site is now over run with trolls and hate speech.

🤷🏻‍♀️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I thought he'd quoted Faith.

I think my point still stands. Certain people wail about there being no engagement but when there is, it's either dismissed or ignored entirely.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Or to paraphrase Augistine, '“Admin, make me a mod – but not yet!”

😀

This comes down to expectation - people expect a response per the various charters and so they request it. IF the "charter" was reduced (everywhere) to:-

"Thou must only start a Post relevant to the area you are posting in."

"Thou must keep to the topic of the thread"

"Thou must not write anything libelous that could get the owners of boards.ie into trouble"

"Thou must not write anything that would be illegal per Irish Law"

If the above four laws aren't breeched then... PLAY BALL!

Okay, there is one further consideration - what about under 18s - should they be protected from swearing. Should the site be family friendly. If yes then keep the ban on swear words. The forum I mentioned previously (stocks/shares discussion) is unlikely to have minors and I've not come across regular curse words being banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

But you are exactly one of the examples why people get annoyed.

Again in this post the usual mention of right wing posters, there are very few right wing people in ireland never mind the dozens of people on boards you are free to call right wing without any action.

You have several posts in a thread last week that are still there, where if myself or several others posted, the posts would have been deleted and we would have been threadbanned.

You brought mens rights activists into a thread that had nothing to do with them, off topic post.

Then started talking about these people usually bald, dogfaced who drinks cans.

Then said a poster had a bang of mens right activist off him.

Your posting style to quote yourself was muck.

Why wouldn't posters feel targeted when looking at that thread and in general what you get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,185 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Please keep it to reported posts. This is not the place for this kind of conversation. A conversation was started here to highlight that moderators were needed. This is something that the Admins and Cmods are working hard on. This is not the place for another free for all where users have a go at each other. Remember "attack the post, NOT the poster"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This thread really isn’t about me but you can’t, honestly, say there are no “right wing” posters on boards. Not with a straight face anyway.

I brought men’s rights groups up in an offhand way, while staying on topic. I may have been dragged off topic when someone “got the hump” over it but left it at that.

Some posters, on here, do seem to be MRAs, I don’t think they take it as an insult. If I’m wrong and that that user doesn’t support men’s rights then I would have no problem apologising to them or, if a mod felt it “warranted” a sanction then I’d take that too.

Although, I wouldn’t mind an apology from that user for their continued campaign of accusations of “sock puppeting” against me, I can’t speak for the others.

Anyway, I, certainly, wouldn’t go attacking the mods, claiming they all have it in for me.

I’ll finish up with this, apologies for going on about me, I’m aware that the contents of this thread are bigger than any one user, but I don’t feel my posting style is muck. If I am, directly, “uncivil” to any user than I fully expect to get a warning, or ban. I’ve had a few warnings in my time but have never been banned.

So, let’s get back to discussing the need for more moderators and leave any “personal” business aside, for now anyway.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 27,247 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is a fine line between robust and uncivil which isn't always appreciated.

But who decides or interprets what is robust or uncivil?

Uncivil to me could just be robust to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’d leave that for the mods to decide, O.

If you get “pinged” for it, and you don’t agree, you can appeal the decision in the “Dispute Resolution” forum.

After you’ve gone over it with the mod, of course.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 27,247 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's always a matter of opinion.

However, if you think about it, the method of selecting mods results in a trend away from robust debate over time. One of the key requirements for mods is a clear record. A poster who tends to be more robust in their posting will always end up with a number of infractions as they will be posting at the edge. As a result, those who are appointed mods will be tending towards less robust debate. They will then moderate according to their standards, leaving a robust poster even more likely to be infracted and those who are less robust picking up cards, and the trend will reinforce itself over time.

The end result for a discussion board is a situation where robust debate is not tolerated and the limits on acceptable debate shrink to the stage where posters start to leave.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,558 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Robust debate is not an issue. The vast majority of warnings in a forum like CA arise because posters are uncivil or abusive. Often because someone decides to discuss the poster and not the post. And no, we don't want mods who act like that

That's a bit like going to confession! Bless me 'Mods' for I have sinned!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,068 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kind of get the impression it's more populist posters than right-wing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

To steal a phrase, a forum charter serves the same purpose as a lamppost to a drunk person - used for support rather than illumination. Nobody reads them unless they are reprimanded and decide to study "the law" in a vain attempt to get off on a technicality.

A few site-wide guiding principles like the above are sufficient tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not really, there's nothing in there about abuse, which would guarantee a gradual descent into a total cesspit.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

a point I’d like to make to the overlords.

It’s important that the site owners don’t misinterpret mods leaving because they feel “unappreciated” to be mods leaving because users don’t appreciate / respect them, it’s also because the private owners of this site don’t appreciate / respect the mods and absolutely take them for granted and this is coming home to roost. I know for a fact that the silence to feedback and requests to hq and lack of thanks for giving up their free time for a private company has been enough of a push for a few mods to step back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I went from modding since the change of site. It became cumbersome to deal with reported posts and I couldn't be bothered trying to find the reports. Also, you re evaluate the amount of hassle and crap you get as a mod, especially when you make tough (correct) decisions and someone won't accept their wrongdoing so it becomes a battle.

The site has gone so quiet since the change which is a pity.

Yup. There is a bias. Anyone stating there isn't is at best unobservant or biased themselves... at worst flagrantly dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No idea what the reported post forum or system looks like these days but it is completely pointless reporting anything. Nothing gets done because, there's no one there to do anything, or they can't see the report or they can't be arsed, my guess would be mostly option one or two.

Things like pages of medical advice in long term illness (was always a no no) or no chat threads full of chat. Neither of these things are a big woop, but just a little example of the bigger problem.

The answer often is "PM a mod", if you can be arsed to go and find who mods that particular forum, and really would bombarding Mods inboxes really be an encouragement for them to keep modding? Such a lazy supposed answer yet this is what we're left with, no apparent hope of any improvement. PM the mods about trivial complaints because the report post does nothing.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,185 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I remember it being said that a sticky would be created for each forum listing the current mods for each forum. There were difficulties because nobody knew who the active mods were for forums, even CMODS and admins. I'm not where that is at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Unfortunately “pinging” the mods can be ignored after an erroneous sanction has been dealt out, and highlighting this in a public thread will lead to the administrators circling the wagons and declaring that “there’s nothing to see here.”

That happened to me in the past and honestly it will happen again to whomever the administration will define as a problem poster. The sad reality is that the illusion of due process and “dispute resolution” can be discarded in an instant if the administration wants to. They should remove those forums and stop pretending that they’re worth a lick.

This is common for posters who tend to be left-leaning, such as myself, and who prioritise telling the truth to power and holding a mirror up to right-wing phoniness over a false veneer of civility.

Unfortunately this adherence to civility above all else means that the right-wing trolls who have taken over this site can mask their bigoted bile using “sellable terms” about Irish identity, concern about “real women” being attacked by trans-women existing and so on. Anyone who calls them out on their bullshït are the ones who are “uncivil,” “abusive,” “bullies” and constantly threatened with their access to the site removed.

Boards.ie need to really think about what kind of site they want to run here, because as it stands its probably one big news story away from becoming a mask-off racist hate site. There are already so many crypto-fascists here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Just a reminder that you need 100 posts and a three month old account before you can post in feedback, even if the post is reasonable and constructive. It'd be hypocritical to not apply the rules in a thread about a lack of moderation after all.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just to be clear, warnings, infractions and bans being overturned in DRP is not uncommon.

Due process is not an illusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

With all due respect, that’s not true.

Speaking from my own recent experience, the moderator totally refused to engage with me and when I tried to discuss the issue with you in the Help Desk forum every one of your posts was dripping with passive aggressive sarcastic remarks and the thread was closed early.

Why? Because a poster like myself who actually engages in fervent discussion on this discussion forum is perceived to be a “problem poster” or a “time sink,” therefore any legitimate issue I may have had was laughed off and dismissed. There is absolutely no way that a poster who has no history of being policed would have had their issue dismissed like that.

That’s fair enough, like I said at the time, it’s your ball and you can play with it as you like. But don’t sit there and tell me that due process exists when people can be fobbed off by the administration at will.

That’s all I will say on this matter, before my posts are deleted and I’m banned for “dragging this thread off topic” or however this will be covered up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement