Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads ye need to start advertising for mods

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We are aware of that, but they are also the most challenging and we may need to spend a little more time on the Social and Fun section. We have though seen a bit more activity from other Mods particularly in AH.

Obviously I have remained very active since the platform changeover. Mickeroo has been doing a lot in the background. We now also have Big Bag of Chips and awec onboard, and hullaballoo and Neyite are getting more involved. Mr E and Toots are around but not getting too heavily involved at present, but I'm certainly a lot happier we now have 6 of us who are relatively active and another couple who we can call on and will hopefully try and get a bit more involved going forward.

Tokyo is still down as an Admin, but he has not been able to access the site from where he is currently based due to local restrictions. We may therefore have to take him off the Admin list until he can access the site.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Who has the decision on who is appointing mods?

If its the two current Mods of CA and AH than it will make no difference.

The two Mods have left wing views and have completely biased views, it's natural to be biased but it has ruined the forums.

You have 6 or 7 users who have free reign to insult everyone.

Horrible insults like racist and nazi are fair game for them to level at other users.

One of the posters had about 10 posts over 3 days in the east wall thread calling people nazis a disgusting insult and had no action taken against him/her.

Anyone with centrist views are constantly insulted and the Mods take no action.

When anyone responds in the same tone as these posters the threadbans come out.

The best and most frequent posters have left over the Mods and it is dead these days with most threads overrun with a few posters insulting anyone who disagrees with them.

Those forums badly need more Mods with more centrist views to encourage more users to debate without fear of being banned for not having left wing views.

I have been correctly threadbanned from a view threads, yet the left wing posters post in the same manner daily but are never banned.

The forums badly need Mods who are not so biased because two very popular forums are dead because of moderation.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CMods make recommendations and Admins/Mike have the final say

And please do not accuse me of being left wing. You have no idea what my politics are

If you have issues with moderation, take it up with the mods via PM. If not satisfied start a thread in Help Desk. Do not try and turn this thread into such a discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Something can be both factually correct and insulting you know. They're not binary states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cmods would (afaik) be more involved with ban appeals etc. rather than day to day modding.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

In fairness, that can be difficult when it wasn't your own post. The mod in question won't change his mind and you can't post in someone else's dispute thread. Even in feedback, there's little expiation given.

The thing is while a lot of people are blatantly obviously posting stuff that's racist and then calling bias, there's also a heavy bias in terms of the mumbrr ight-wing leaning posters banned (and I say this as someone who leans mostly to the left - at least with social issues).

Do mods tell.posters 'this us racist and here's why:' or just 'this is racist'? - I appreciate that it's done on a voluntary basis and time is an issue, but it might alleviate some of the conflict if there were honest explanations given.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

That depends on the personal views of the mod.

Unlikely that there are real life Nazis hanging around on Boards.ie but when a mod with the right opinions of their own is running the thread then anyone and everyone with a certain view can be accused of being all sorts.

Like a puppet government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

"there's also a heavy bias towards right-wing leaning posters"

Bias towards banning them perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hypothetically, yes, but can you provide examples where you think this has happened?

Yes, sorry - that's what I meant. Post edited.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Just to be clear, posters get site-banned for accumulating warning points, or being a re-reg or spammer or sending an abusive PM, otherwise breaching site rules

No one is getting banned for being right wing or left wing. They may pick up points because of posting in an uncivil or abusive or otherwise offensive manner. If they pick up 5 "active" points an automatic time limited ban kicks in

Around 95% of those accounts that are permanently banned are on the site for no more than a couple of weeks or so. The vast majority for less than a day

Of the other 5% the vast majority are banned for re-regging when banned

And to put it all in perspective, around 1,600 have been banned during 2022 and remain banned (so within that there will be a number of bans based on warning points that will lift in due course)

I can think of a handful of high post count posters from the left or right wing that have been permanently banned during 2022, but that is for re-regging when already banned, or sock-puppeting. None have been banned for their political views.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No need to advertise for 'new' users anyway...

Not your ornery onager

If anyone wondered what happened to the post that was immediately after my own above, that was one of that "handful" of posters who was permanently banned earlier this year

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

To be fair, there have been a number of left-wing posters banned (albeit they claim to be first-time SF posters).

The mods have a difficult job, that much is certain. It is also easier to spot bad behaviour in others than acknowledge your own, or those of your own type.

There are some problems here, the default banning of all discussion of issues before the courts is one - it really only applies to jury cases. There are also issues with extreme left and extreme right, how reasonable can you require the nutters on either side to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anything which puts boards.ie at risk of libel damages or being accused of prejudicing a trial is just not going to fly, that's not going to change until Irish laws change (unlikely).

If you want to say whatever you like about anything, set up your own website (and pay your own legal bills).

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

As another FYI and another Cat Mod change, Fathom is taking on the Region category.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You can't prejudice a trial before a non-jury court.

That's not what the defence lawyers in the current high profile case said. They indicated they would look at any reporting and could use anything they consider prejudicial to get a decision overturned if necessary. The judges indicated they did not have time to read the press, but the message was clear

Regardless the site rules prohibit it anyway, and you would need to get Odhran to agree to any changes (which in itself could result in legal fees). I am not seeing much scope for any change, and I am going to continue applying site rules if such stuff is reported

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Have to say I, personally, think it is very unfair to bring in moderator, and admin, perceived “politics” into this.

The rules are the rules and if, some, more right wing posters can’t keep within those rules that’s not the mod’s, or admin’s, fault. All they can do is enforce the rules.

Yes some, more long term, posters will get some “credit” and other, better behaved ones the same but no one is above the rules and it’s ridiculous when you see some really terrible posters moaning about getting sanctioned when their posting style is just muck.

If you’re feel like you are being “targeted” by a mod, or admin, then don’t give them any reasons to ban you. It’s not that hard to post within the rules, and I say that as someone whom has received a few warnings, myself.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 45,923 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Can't argue with any of that.

Over the years the only people I see complaining here or in other forums are those who have been sanctioned in some form or had their posts edited or removed. Of course it's everyone else's fault but theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s not just right wing posters who don’t follow the rules. There are others who do the same. This isn’t about left or right wing, it’s simply about rules not being enforced consistently. Naturally this frustrates people who get infracted for something while other posters are free to post in the same fashion. And this isn’t aimed at anyone in particular but a general observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Over a decade of the same tripe been posted in here and nothing changed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There are several complicating factors in appointing new moderators, and it is a hugely time consuming process. To be considered, you must have enough of a posting history that your temperament can be sussed out. This has gotten increasingly harder with people closing accounts and opening new ones regularly. A poster might have been on the site for 20 years, but if their current account is 8 months old with 100 posts, it's not going to be considered unless we know for certain who they are in terms of previous usernames.

Secondly, the criteria for approving/not approving future mods is clear only to admins and I can't make heads or tails of it. It seems overly rigid to me, and in fact your history on the site can just as easily go against you. As CMod, you find posters to suggest which, as has been said, usually relies on a solid posting history. But you could have 30,000 posts and get rejected because you got three infractions in the soccer forum between 2008 - 2012 and you once called an admin a prick 🤷. It seems to me like participation on threads like this nearly always rules you out of the running unless you're steadfastly defending boards. When I was a CMod, I even saw current moderators be suggested for appointment to new forums and they'd be rejected by admins/HQ.

Another issue is, suitable moderators tend to get drafted either upwards to Cmod/admin level, or given a huge portfolio of forums to manage, and they almost all burn out very quickly due to this. I can't even count the number of amazing posters who've ultimately become admins, (I guess) seen what's behind the curtain, and left the site entirely. Similar for those who just take on multiple busy forums. At the end of the day, it's unpaid and thankless so of course it'll burn people out.

I was once involved with trying to find new moderators for a busy, moderator-heavy forum. The mods and Cmods probably shortlisted 15 candidates and the vast majority were rejected when put forward for consideration. Frustratingly to me, personality became a barrier, even when it was obvious the person would be a good moderator - if they were considered "difficult" in some way, they were usually rejected, even when they were passionate about the betterment of the forum. The time taken was also nuts - it took days to weeks to find suitable suggestions, it had to be discussed and agreed with the local mods before putting them forward to admin, then it could easily take a month before you'd get a reply. If it was a "no", the process started all over again (or if the poster declined, which happened reasonably frequently).

The disastrous migration certainly hasn't helped, nor has the utter lack of communication with existing moderators, and unwillingness/inability to act on long-standing issues that are raised time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's a bit rich. A forum you moderate had its charter ninja edited, with said change used against posters.

There are legitimate grievances out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Holy Moly Faith, when a poster like yourself posts on a thread like this in such strong terms then something is absolutely amiss somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,923 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And there you have it. The ultimate example of someone who has been sanctioned and feels the need to vent here in a thread which is about something completely different. Your complaint (from a couple of years ago almost) was duly and deservedly rejected but hey, just join the long list of people with chips on their shoulders.

Btw were you not aware that you shouldn't be discussing moderation here!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is why discourse is ultimately all but pointless. A mod went to serious effort to contribute constructively and all some people can do is dismiss it out of hand with a snide comment.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The novelty factor may have worn off... Boards.ie hasn't been the shiny new thing or particularly innovative for many years. And it's hard to see what mods get out of modding... assuming they're not all masochists.

I'm on a much larger website that's wholly dedicated to talking about stocks/shares etc, from GE to speculative shares. AND people have skin (money) in the game and it's certainly not occupied with shrinking violets. There are no restrictions on words used. And there is vanishingly little moderation involvement and no moderation is expected.

So, my point being... should there be less mods? Less charters/rules apart from don't post anything libellous or illegal (per legislation). It would become more wild west like, but maybe the freeness could bring back some of the magic that's been leeched out of the place.

Me, I still love it here. Long may it last in whatever form it takes.

I understand the frustration, but just wanted to respond to a few things.

I am a new admin. I have seen both sides of the fence now, but my experiences on the cmod/mod side of it are still very fresh in my mind. I get that finding new mods is slower than it could be.

What I can tell you is there is no great mystery or oddness to the mod approval process by admins. There is no secret handshake required, no obscure requirements. Posting in threads like this is not going to see you blackballed.

To be clear though, for reasons of fairness Cmods are never told why a particular mod candidate is rejected, just that they've been rejected. Admins have access to a much fuller picture of a poster's history, even those with a completely clean record. Your example mod could have been rejected for those 3 soccer infractions a decade ago (very unlikely) or for calling me a prick (very unlikely), or it could be for another issue that happened last week that you have absolutely no knowledge of because it didn't involve any of your forums.

As for existing mods getting rejected, sure this can happen. Not all forums are the same, and not all mods are the same. Trying to avoid overloading / burning out one specific mod is another example of why this can happen.

Feedback taken on the slowness of the process, and we will try and fix that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Dunno if I said it already but this^. Theirs been little to no mod since the cock up. And all good. You know they're back though. But this will be ignored.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement