Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Bay Packers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes needs to be sorted fairly quickly as you say, and not have it dragging on the whole off season.

We have had enough of that last season.

The bones of a good team are there but it needs an overhaul in important areas to have hope of success.

Could be an awkward season or two for the Packers but staying ‘as you were’ without big change is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Blut2

An inability to admit that it might be time to move on from Rodgers just wasted half a season, and probably next season on top. This morning the organisation could have been looking at a top 5 draft pick to give an option of taking another QB if needed, with a much better idea of if Love is going to be the QB of the future after seeing him play multiple full games.

Instead this offseason is likely going to be another limbo where its not quite a rebuild (because we're stuck with Rodgers and his sky high salary and no high draft pick) but also not quite an all-in (because Rodgers is now too old/the rest of the team isn't strong in enough to justify it). And probably a not quite playoffs, not quite tanking, 7 or 8 win season next season as a result.

Packers have to take the risk of a couple of mediocre seasons as continuing with the current setup is not an option.

Its unfortunate but that’s what the payoff is for having two outstanding QBs for the last twenty five ish years, one after the other.

Very very few teams if any at all can point back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They could have QB3 in the wings now too but havent given him a chance to prove himself. The 49ers under montana are probably the best comparison. They had Young for a couple years and then gave him the reigns. Same as Favre/Rodgers too. They needed to move on last off season. Or a year to year contract. Rodgers could have gone to a more SB challenging team and GB could have began a rebuild. Now it's 12 months later and its the same again. A 500 (approx) season is one of the worst results you can get - the liklihood of getting a top pick in the draft is low and you havent won anything, unless youre in the NFC south of course.

Yes that is correct, however at some stage ALL teams have to rebuild, especially those with salary cap restrictions.

Time moves on to quote the cliche and the trick is to limit the ‘downtime’ to minimum.

Look at the RAMS Champions last season, nowhere this year.

Most teams have a place in the sun for a while,but the Packers have fared better than most so let’s not get despondent.

The big trick is to recover as quickly as possible .

• Advertisement

Just looked back on the highlights!

The Jones fumble was the game loser, the Goff rainbow and the catch was the dagger, and the inability to stop Jamaal close to the goal line was the loser.

Lions were the better more focused team on the night.

Will the Packers learn any lessons from that game?

Lessons I learned.

1 Run blocking needs to be better

2 Short yardage play needs to be better.

Lions wanted it more which seems strange .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The performance against the Vikings and the potential shown makes the rest of this season feel so much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

In Brett Favre's final six passes as a packer

He went 2-6 for 12 yards, concluding in a game-sealing, season-ending INT at Lambeau Field.

In Aaron Rodgers' final six passes this year:

He went 2-6 for 12 yards, concluding in a game-sealing, season-ending INT at Lambeau Field.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭boccers

Just in relation to Rodgers contract. Coming into the season he was the back to back MVP. Is any team going to move on from that? I know hes now 39 but he didn't look like he was in decline at all and the contract was just a way of pushing money into the future so they could add more pieces this year while the SB window was seemingly open.

For this season I dont think they can bench Rodgers until they are mathematically out of playoff contention which never happened. Being honest if u were betting on one or the other this time last week I'd say the vast majority would hav backed the packers to beat the Lions and make the playoffs. Nobody was saying they should have given Jordan Love a chance last week.

I also think the Lions being out of contention for a playoff spot worked against us as they had nothing to lose. Theres no way they try that trick play at the end and probably a few 4th down attempts otherwise.

well, the soap opera continues. A part of me is sad his leaving but another part of me is excited about Love, he looked good against the eagles and the added cap space could see us get some weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Is that likely a done deal Rodgers to NYJ?

Better for the team at this stage imho, been a negative presence over the last 18/24 months overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think he's going to the jets for a year, then the vikings for two, before retirement.

No way a Packers qb would do that.

Looks like the chances are high he will go to the jets. As long as the Packers get good compensation I think it is time to give someone else a chance. No point putting it on the long finger anymore. Might have some nice picks this year and possibly next year and space to bring in some decent free agents. Catch 22 though with Rodgers gone the Packers might be less appealing for some despite the extra cap space.

There are some times when one has to bite the bullet on an issue that has been dragging on.

In my opinion this is the time for the Packers.

It could very well turn out to be less that successful but all things considered I feel now is the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

A fair post, Bren. I'd add that whether it turns out less successful or not, that would hardly be a long term factor given AR12's age.

Seeing what the bears got for their number 1 pick, a deal like that would be very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭boccers

Given Rodgers age and cap situation along with the possibility it will only be a 1 year thing, I think one first round pick would be welcomed by the Packers. Maybe with a conditional pick for next year if he keeps playing. Also once he is traded there will be a massive cap hit for the packers based one what they already paid him. It has been pushed out into the future for years but if he goes it can't be pushed any longer. There will not be a lot of money for FA spending this year.

I will be sad to see him go and he is definitely my favourite all time but I agree with others that the time has come. They aren't winning the SB in the next few years with him. I presume he will resign for a day in the future to retire a packer and his number will be retired etc. He definitely isn't coming back to the NFC north to play against them like Favre did.

It looks like Kaeisean Nixon still hasn't been resigned and is hinting at it on social media. If they let him go after so many years of poor kick returning it really will be shocking management. (Unless someone is paying way over the odds for him)

Nixon staying but looks like Lazard gone to Jets.

looks like its over. had some great times and **** times. always felt we had a chance with him in the game but it was time to move on. I felt his play fell off a bit last year without devante or maybe the thumb was bothering him. I hope they get a tightend in the draft and a veteran wide out to help Love.

• Advertisement

Agree there, badly need a receiving tight end.

Time for a new start.

what the protections tonight. I say tackle or edge rusher. I can't see them taking a tight end or wide receiver

I’d like to see a TE either Michael Mayer or Darnell Washington.

They probably won’t but be great to have a big dude down the middle who could catch the rock.

Lukas Van Ness is the pick. High ceiling, solid pick with an aging Smith and Gary coming off an injury both with free agency coming up.

Saw that JSN was still on the board when our pick came up and my petty side would've liked to see us finally draft a WR in the first, but I think Edge is a more boringly sensible pick.

Plenty of time left for a TE; Kincaid gone but Mayer and Washington still there and I think one will still be on the table at pick 42.

Whether we go for it is another story of course. Wouldn't be surprised to see us take a Safety in the next round either.

Indeed…. Boring picks are the Packers strong point.

In fairness they usually work out ok.

Happy enough with LVN but he seems to have gone from 220lbs to 265 fairly fast!!

So we go for a TE, taking Luke Musgrave with Washington still on the table.

A bit perturbed at letting the Lions trade up and take Brian Branch when we had a bad need of another Safety, but think Jayden Reed is a good pickup.

They must've been listening to you, Bren.....another TE with the third pick. I don't know much about Tucker Kraft; what do you guys reckon there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Blut2

"Love is 24 years old. Running backs Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon are 28 and 24, respectively. Wide receivers Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs and Reed are all 23, while Samori Toure is 25. Musgrave and Kraft are both 22. It’s been quite some time since this was the model on offense in Green Bay. If anything, it should provide intrigue entering the franchise’s new chapter without Aaron Rodgers at quarterback for the first time in 15 years."

From the Athletic today, an interesting summary of the offense. If they all click as a young unit we could have a few years of very exciting play.

the general consensus is that it was a good draft for us. It looks good to me, van ness reminds me of tj watt and the tight ends looks good. Really looking forward to next season now. a good young team. It looks like Rodgers is getting the band back together in new york, Cobb and Billy Turner are after joining.

• Advertisement

Did’nt see that cos….. well spotted.

Like yourself really looking forward to the next season with a young team.

Lets not expect too much in year one though is my thought.

Depends on how these picks pan out.

Advertisement