Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

4070ti announced with an official msrp of $799 🤦🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

So whats that over here , €1200 ? it certainly won't be 799 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

I would say around €930 to €950 but wouldn't be surprised if there was Aib version for €1200.

It will be around the 1k euro I'd imagine...... for a xx70 card, lunacy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

At least it's faster than a 3090 Ti.

nvm Seeing the reviews.

But with half the VRAM.

Post edited by K.O.Kiki on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The 970 was the pinnacle of Nvidia cards cheap and a great performer for the time. Pity about the VRAM issue though. But they had to do that otherwise it would have performed nearly as good as the 980.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Does anyone think the 4080 will drop in price any time soon? Based on today’s launch, it makes the 4080 more appealing IMO. Which is messed up considering everything is overpriced.

Tbh I thought cards would get slashed over the next while but seeing them release a xx70 card for $900 makes me think that's wishful thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Agreed. My head is genuinely melted in regards to picking a new GPU. Anytime I look at the 4080 and I just wonder would be better saving up for a 4090 if you going to spend that type of money. It’s a vicious circle.

Yeah anything worth getting anymore is around the 1000 which instantly makes you go sure if I'm spending that much I might as well spend extra and get the best 🤷‍♂️ and Nvidia and AMD know it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Germany prices for the 4080 and 4090 AIB cards are about 1.15 and 1.25x the US $ FE MSRP respectively, but I'm hoping that since the 4080 isn't selling as well as the 4090, 1.15x is where it's at and so €900 might be achievable.

On a cost per mm2 of die basis, the $800 4070Ti is priced similarly to the 4090, with the 4080 being the real outlier. Given that fault stats and geometry makes larger dies more expensive, the 4090 cost per mm2 really ought to represent the upper bound of pricing.

A 190mm2 4060(Ti?) might be $500/€600, which seems about "right" given that the 3060Ti launched at $400.

All the 3080/90 variants had die sizes larger than the 4090, which makes the 4080 pricing look particularly egregious with its relatively small die (62% of the 4090). 4080 pricing was a failed experiment.

I'd really like to see the 4070Ti with a smaller cooler. Makes no sense to have a 4090 sized cooler on a half sized die with half the memory.

Ramble over.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidia-rtx-4080-selling-poorly-as-market-prices-soar-over-msrp-most-expensive-nv-gpu-in-terms-of-die-area/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

4090 FE restocked today.

Had an arrangement with a friend for them to accept delivery and bring it with them over here.

Scan rejects Irish cards at checkout.

Argh.

Thanks for the tip, picked up one through the UK Nvidia site (which is fulfilled by Scan). Now I just have to find a way to make it fit. 😀

(then will be flogging my 3080 10GB for sensible money).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I was battling with the same thoughts, was hoping 4080 would come down, no sign of it happening so it ending with me buying a 4090 from OCUK. Price was a good deal at the time, if anything 4090 related can be considered a good deal! Kfa2 card for £100 above msrp of the FE card but still quite a bit cheaper than I could get any 4090 from Germany for. Bought ex vat and I paid Irish vat here on import.

I got the card, a vertical bracket for my case and a 12vhpwr cable for my PSU for less than the cost of the 4090 itself from Germany.

I'm kinda in the same boat except I'm thinking should I spend less and see what happens with the market later on .

By Saturday I will have all the parts for my new build except the GPU . My current PC has a 1080 since 2017 on a 1440p monitor so while I was thinking 4080 and then 4070ti, now I'm leaning more towards a 3060 or 3060ti depending how the 4070ti launch changes prices ( which recent history has taught me ....it won't )

But yeah , head melted indeed .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Reviewers seem to be united in absolutely slating the 4070ti as the worst of a bad lot of over-priced borderline-scam releases from both camps for this generation.

Unfortunately, this will only stop when mugs stop paying the overinflated prices in the first place. Since they won't, nothing is going to return to normal and Nvidia & AMD will continue down this path.

Zero. Computer components are 0% duty. Just paid Irish vat and an admin fee to DHL.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I agree that buyers are holding up prices. There are plenty of people that abstained from the 30 series, and that included a period where they couldn't leave their houses. The 30 series pricing was held up by mining. GPU sales are currently in recession despite the product being much better than the 30 series in terms of raw grunt and efficiency.

Nvidia would have been quite consistent with price/performance on the 40 series with a $950 4070Ti. The 80 and 90 cards offer 125% and 165% of the performance of the 4070Ti.

Nvidia predicted that they would be supply constrained and so it made sense to extract maximum margin from fewer sales. That has doubly backfired as there's now ample fab capacity and less demand due to cost of living inflation.

With foresight Nvidia should have bailed out their partners holding overpriced 30 series stock, lowered pricing on the 40 series and sold bucketloads of cards at lower margins. Same gross profits, happy customers, happy partners, greater future profits from larger customer base (rather than PC gamers disappearing to become laptop+console users).

At this point I think NVidia should just kill its partner model. It is perfectly able to finance R&D on cooling and packaging, and would gain agility in responding to market demand.

In short, imagine a market where NVidia acts more like Sony. Simpler consumer product offering of a few tiers between $300 and $1200 and max out the volumes. It shouldn't be necessary to watch hours of YouTube reviews to pick a damn GPU.

Unrelatedly, I hope Nvidia keeps pushing performance and efficiency at the high end. A 4090 is the only thing that can run high end VR (e.g. Varjo Aero and above) and I want to see that tech continue to develop.

At this point I think NVidia should just kill its partner model.

To do that they'd have to be aware of where their markets exist and stock cards in all of those places. I'd shudder if the cards became FE-only, but they stuck with the current stupid distribution method of picking a specific partner store that fulfils the orders, but gets to enforce it's own restrictions on sales.

The thought of Nvidia having an even greater monopoly and level of freedom to do whatever they want is not a pleasant thought tbh. If it wasn't for my social gaming circle being on PC I think I'd nearly switch to a console and steam deck fully with the way things are.

Well, that 4070Ti launch was definitely another paper launch...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The 4090 sold out on what was a reasonable stock run for a halo product. Xtx was selling reasonably until the cooler situation raised its head.

To me, the point would be that at these insane prices the number of units sold on all the cards should be 0. Gamers should flat out reject them. But even with weaker sales, they are still getting buyers, even above MSRP in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Right now on mindfactory in Germany you can pick up a 4090, 4080, 4070ti, 7800xtx/xt. Thats in comparison to the last 3 years, where you would get nothing unless you were hunting for it or willing to pay two times MSRP.

The cards are not selling, even the 4090's. The founders/reference cards still sell, for the same reasons EVGA bailed on the market but the rest are sitting on shelves at this point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm still finding it hard to come by a whole raft of the 4090 variants. Can't seem to find a ASUS Strix anywhere for example, it's not even necessarily a case of them selling out - they just don't seem to be coming into stock in Europe.

So I'm a 4090 pleb and after all the crap when they came out with the power connection I'm being super cautious. I got a dedicated 12vhpwr cable for it but still have to ben d it in the case. What do you guys think of this bend? I know the issue mainly seemed to be with adapters not being fully seated, my cable is 100% seated properly, just not sure if bending them is an issue or not. I got a vertical GPU riser cable mount for it but it doesn't really suit, GPU sits on the ram and I'd have to remove some bottom fans to fit the mount properly so would rather go the normal way.

• Advertisement

Maybe the retailers don't want to stock them since they might not sell at the expected €2500 price point.

Actually... have you tried https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/asus-rog-strix-geforce-4090-oc-24gb-graphics-card-rog-strix-rtx4090-o24g-g/version.asp ? Be warned: €2565

Bending is only a problem if the cable is not 100% fully inserted (and supposedly it requires an almost unnervingly large amount of force to ensure it's fully inserted), as the slight tugs on the connector loosening it is what causes the shorting and resultant melting issues.

Advertisement