Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Bends are not an issue as per gamers nexus actually testing physical cards and cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 knobtasticus

Heads up - you can use a Revolut card (even one of their temporary online-use-only cards) to complete the transaction. You'll need a UK delivery address, of course, but you can stick in the same address for the billing address as well - Revolut doesn't care. I picked up a 4090 in yesterday's drop this way. Wasn't going to but, after it stayed in stock for almost 4 hours (!), I couldn't resist. I almost wanted the transaction to fail 😂

Was shocked it stayed in stock for so long. Clearly demand is way down - the post-Christmas poverty likely not helping either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I didn't try it with included adapter but the cable I bought from corsair slotted into the gpu with ease.

One thing I wondered was the adapter the gpu came with has connections for four power cable's, the proper 12vhpwr cable I bought only has two power connectors to the psu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It was more than four hours, closer to eight.

Anyway, the amount of hoops I'd have to jump through to order an FE from Scan put me off entirely; so I got a 4070Ti from Caseking, and can use the extra grand to put towards a main guts upgrade sooner — especially if the new X3D's are a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Can I ask why you went with Caseking instead of Overclockers ( this is me assuming they are one in the same ? , which could also be me being wrong )

I do see that Caseking seem to have more variants in stock .

• Advertisement

Direct Euro transaction rather than having to worry about currency conversions and customs. Plus Caseking had a "login/pay with Amazon account" feature that helped my lazy ass 🤣

Not to mention the one I got (Gigabyte Gaming OC) only cost me €1,050 all in [€1000 base, VAT adjustment from 19->23%, delivery], whereas OCUK are charging £949 (€1,070) for it before extras.

Well thanks TheChrisD , no, honestly, thanks

My head was already melted and you come along, without so much as a by your leave, and throw a gallon of petrol on top of it .

😁

The 4070ti is looking more and more appealing to me and I hate myself for it ( and yet there is other voices in my head singing 'Do it, do it, do it. )

• Registered Users Posts: 23 knobtasticus

Was it really eight hours?! Jaysus. I must’ve missed the start of it then. Didn’t even get a notification from the HotStock app, just dawned on me to take a random look and there it was.

Yeah, despite the somewhat negative reviews around it, the 4070Ti is pretty compelling. 3090Ti performance but with absolutely savage perf/watt. €1K+ for a XX70 class card is still egregious though.

The 7X3D lineup does look decent! Think I’d be all over the 7900 variant (the 7800X3 looks like it’s a bit toasty). It’s just a pity the cost of admission to Zen 4 is so stupidly high. I can’t justify paying over double the price for an x670 mobo over my current one. Never mind DDR5…

The restock came in at about 11am, and as far as I could see they were still there until about 6-7pm. Heck, I found out only after I booted up my desktop at about midday, looked in Tweetdeck and saw that my saved searches for "4090 uk" were lighting up with the FE notification.

While the prices are definitely somewhat extreme this time around, I mean I came in knowing I had the money and wanted to get a halo product that would last many years, given my current rig was built at the end of 2015. And I was very willing and actively attempting to spend the £1600 on a 4090FE to power that. So in the end, 2/3rds the performance for 2/3rds the price seems reasonable enough, just hope it's still good another 6 years from now.

How long did it take from ordering to actually getting it in your hands ( it's not hard to guess why I'm asking this ;) )

• Advertisement

Ordered middle of Thursday afternoon. Still waiting on arrival.

Although my tracking info has been pretty sparse so far: order dispatched Friday afternoon, arrived in export center in the wee hours of Saturday morning; then told "here's an An Post tracking number" which doesn't resolve to anything yet.

You might let me know when you get it, either on here or through PM please .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I would buy a 4070ti but apparently my 8600K is already bottlenecking my 1080ti, weird becausewhen i got the 8600K with the 1080ti it was seen as a killer combo, we cant win lads :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's a 6c/6t CPU and it will absolutely be a bottleneck today.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW the power connector for my new 4090 FE did not require much insertion force, generated a significant click (possibly audible but maybe I just felt it) on insertion, and feels quite secure. I have a fair bit of bend but don't have any concerns. Perhaps they steathily redesigned something.

I hear ya, do we need to go for 8 cores nowadays or how about a 6 core with 12 threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Depends on the CPU. A ryzen 5000 6 core 12 thread CPU is good, while the 3000 6 core 12 thread is decent the 5000 is far better.

I would consider mid to high range CPUs for a 4070ti, and that means 8c/16t like 7700x or 13700k (with its extra E cores which I don't know how useful they are for gaming)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

I can't see an overclocked 8600K being a huge bottleneck unless playing at 1080p or playing something that's an outlier CPU crusher like Star Citizen or something. Definitely not for a 1080Ti and should feed a better card reasonably well.

It's not that kind of bottleneck i.e. not reaching very high framerates but in demanding games with RT and DLSS it won't even reach 60.

• Advertisement

Both are a non issue for me as they are not even selectable in any of my games.

My point was that if you're considering a 4070ti it will need to be paired with one of those CPUs to be a balanced system where the CPU doesn't bottleneck the GPU. Your CPU is fine with a 1080ti but a 4070ti is a huge step up that the CPU cannot properly sustain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I don't believe you need the latest CPU to not bottleneck a current GPU, anything from the last 2 to 3 CPU generations would be more than up to pushing 1440p with a good GPU.

Yes but not anything, it will have to be, for example, a top end 10 series. Not a midrange 8 series, 5 generations old and not a top performer even when it was new. 4070ti is a different beast and using it at its full potential requires a high end CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

What's so special about the 4070ti, it's decidedly midrange, about the performance of a 3090 with less memory. Nothing we haven't seen before in terms of performance really.

Yes, it's at the last gen top end performance level, it will need a last gen top end CPU to avoid being bottlenecked.

So i ran some ingame tests with games i find demanding for my rig.

BF 2042 when i unlocked framrate hit 100% CPU the odd time where as GPU was 70-85% , both dropped once i limit to 90fps.

Warhammer Darktide GPU hit 90-95% the odd time usually 70-80% but CPU was well down at around 65% max this was at 144 fps, if i lock to 90 both as with 2042 drop substantially.

Way of the Hunter GPU was close to 100% CPU 40-60% .

Hell Let Loose 80-95% CPU hit 100% the very odd time while GPU was 60-80%.

Im none the wiser lol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Here's a bottleneck calculator where you can pick a CPU, GPU, game and resolution. I don't know how accurate it is.

From what I understand, "top end CPUs" just have more cores which will mostly sit idle during gaming. In the last couple of generations a x400 or x600 has been perfectly fine unless chasing mega FPS on low graphics settings, but why would you buy a 40 series card and turn off the eye candy?

I have a 12600k and 4090, gaming at 4k, and no plans to upgrade the CPU for gaming, although I might pop in a 13600/13700 for faster code compilation. My fastest screen is 120Hz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

To be fair that's fairly black and white a very conventional CPU bottleneck, far worse than I would have expected from an 8600K at 4.5Ghz. So the previous guy was absolutely correct about that.

BF2042 and Hell Let Loose are absolute CPU killers though to be fair that rely on a combination of cores/threads and per-core performance.

If you're playing those regularly I'd definitely get a new CPU before a new GPU.

Doesn't have to be too expensive. A Ryzen 5800x3D and B550M aren't too bad and you'd get a good chunk back for your 8600K and whatever the board is.

Not sure what your RAM is but ideally you would have dual channel 3600mhz, if your current ram is 3200mhz that will do fine.

Personally I have a regular 5800x with a 7900XT because the games I play don't need more CPU power (at least not at the moment). I'll also be playing at 4K for most single player games which removes my CPU from the equation altogether.

Advertisement