Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Happy New year lads! May 2023 bring us all health, happiness and that ever elusive quality of "enough".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Happy New Year folks, it has been great following many of the watch threads this year. Thanks for all your posts and contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭micks_address

Seiko Saturday? I've forgotten what day of the week it is. Happy new years folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

What model is that one?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Looks like a 62mas, sweet. Love them brutal lugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Happy New Year folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

@Cyrus

What model is the IWC? Looks great

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thanks

it’s the new 41mm pilots chrono 3881 is the ref I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Any Cartier Ballon Bleu watches in here ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

My brother in law has one nice watch but disaster resale wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

The value. They are an expensive watch new and hold their value like a falling stone.

Don't get me wrong, a lovely range of watches but not one I'd buy new or with a hope of breaking even if I did. They are good value 2nd hand. But if it must be bought new? Expect a big loss when time comes to resell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

My Tissot Classic T033410A.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

I put my U2 back on to it's bracelet yesterday. This and the red silicon are my favourite 2 straps on this. With a black/green/red NATO running those a close 2nd.

Lads. Here my vintage(ish) seiko. Passed on to me about 10 yrs ago. Anyone any info on this? Tried searching online but found nothing matching the numbers stamped on it. Im mainly interested in the year of production, Im guessing early to mid 90’s.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

It appears to be a gold variant of the Seiko Ref V739-0830 quartz dress watch.

Can't find a specific reference, but appears to be 90s vintage, as you correctly surmise.

The steel versions go for about $150 online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

The bottom 6 digit serial, first number is year so I'd say 2001 unlikely to be 1991. Second is month 1-9 for Jan to Sept, O for Oct, N Nov and D Dec.

So manufacture date Dec 2001

cheers for the info folks.

• Advertisement

Sla037 on Erika's NATO I picked up in the black Friday sale

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Looks really well there.

Are those MN straps elasticy or non-stretchy? I'm tempted to get one.

they are stretchy elastic.. ive had to many of them at this stage... very comfortable - they are not the same as the marine nationale straps (which i think are made from parachute straps).. ive had one of them from ndc straps in the uk.. they are a heavier material than the erika orginals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Had hankering for a Sub homage. Not interested in a Rolex.

Saw this one on Adverts, from a brand that has a nice heritage.

I didn't want to spend much, as I recently had a very good Cosmograph homage, right down to the automatic movement, and was very disappointed at the poor legibility and sold it.

A good deal was done and it arrived as a 90s tool watch should - with a few scars, a bit of wear, and the general charm of use.

It is a 16610 homage, so the general specs are the same. It runs a Miyota 21 jewel 8215 movement, so 21,600 compared to 28,800, but that's no gripe.

I have given the bracelet, clasp and ends links a good brush with Scotchbrite and it has come up nicely (not done in the pics).

I also managed to do a half-link bodge with a spare link from another bracelet, as it was a bit tight (visible in the clasp pic).

Generally, I'd say it is much the same quality overall as a 1990s TAG Heuer, or the like.

The movement is clean, but rough enough. It doesn't look as well finished as a Seiko, as was in my SKX.

Not sure what the contamination is on the rotor, but it is stable so I'm leaving it alone.

On the timegrapher, it was running OK, but a beat error of 1.6ms and + 16s per day.

With the beat error down to zero, it was reading +27s per day!

Adjustment was tough as the mechanism is less than smooth, but eventually I got it down to this:

The amplitude could be a bit better, but I'd say it is on the original mainspring.

Still, for such a simple, robust movement, if it manages to run at +1- +3s per day on the wrist, I'd more than happy with that.

Overall, it was a very cheap way of scratching the Sub homage itch with a brand that has some heritage of its own (however modernised the current incarnation might be :) ).

Still don't want a Rolex, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Allwheelsgood

Nobody wants a Real Rolex until they get one!

And then they never want another one... OR... it starts to fuel the need for more and different models......

But it all starts with Homage....... enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Dont want a Rolex just want a watch that looks exactly like one.....sounds legit.

You dont scratch the Rolex itch with a homage, no more than you loose your virginity with masturbation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I knew that would be like a rag red to a bull for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some take any negative comments about Rolex a bit too personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair Fitz, you do have a point.

Over the Christmas I was having a convo with a chap who had a Tudor Black Bay and we kinda came around to a similar point. Now this chap would not be short of a bob or three, or four, but he picked the Black Bay rather than a Sub. And he was "offered to buy" either from a jeweller in the UK. He simply just liked the Tudor more.

Now over the years he's sort of gotten into watches, without going full nutter, but in me he has a tame nutter he occasionally asks about the madness and he pointed out that I have suggested a Sub to him more than once, but yet don't have one myself. The plain fact is they just never personally appealed to me, save for the sell your house and your extended family's houses 70's MilSub. I did have a few very early Oysters/Bubblebacks in the 90's, but they don't count even to Rolex fans as their values show. It would certainly be a cost factor for me these days, but I've been a watch nutter in the days when you could pick up Subs for 800-1200 quid used and still didn't appeal(now if I had a time machine set to 95 to come back in 2020...).

More to the/your point(finally😁) I also realised I've never owned any watch that came close to looking like a Sub, or a general "Rolex" for that matter. If I liked the look, I'd have either bought one back in the day, or today got a homage, but the latter would probably not sate my need.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement