Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Game Pass

Comments

Can't believe how addictive Vampire survivors is! Keep going back for one more go 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Danick

Coming late to this game I know and maybe playing it on Series X makes a difference but I'm playing Quantum Break and I think it's amazing so far - I've never played anything like it. Are there any other xbox exclusives that I should try? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,371 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Assassins Creed Origins is not an Xbox exclusive, but I love it 😂 . It looks gorgeous and it's the right sized open world, that appears to have been actually designed and not thrown together. It's relaxing and easy to drop in and out of. Make sure you play it at 4K 60 FPS and in HDR if you can.

If you haven't played the follow ups (Odyssey, Valhalla), just go with this one and ignore the others. If you have well, its head and shoulders above them.

Ori and the will of the wisps is an excellent game too on SX.

They added perks for 3 months free Apple tv+ and Apple music for new users. Good timing I guess as my Spotify trial is up. The reviews for the music app on android don't inspire optimism 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Can you add to an existing trial to Apple TV Plus I wonder? 🤔

Am in the middle of a 6 month trial rn!

Edit:

Probably not, by the wording in the perk!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Sunset Overdrive from Insomniac games is wonderful, and has been overlooked.

Crackdown 3 is good fun, but fairly limited. You do get very overpowered by the end, but that's actually the fun of the game.

Gears 5 is a bit more standard, but probably the best looking game of the last generation.

The Forza games are all of a high standard, if you're into racing at all. Motorsport is the more "sim" game, with Horizon being more "arcade".

The Ori games are both incredible, even if that Ginso Tree section can go f* itself 😂

Outside of Xbox exclusives, these are games that I'll always recommend no matter what, and maybe you've missed them: Outer Wilds, and The Return of the Obra Dinn. Both genius games, and so unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Danick

Thanks a million - I have only player Horizon - looking forward to playing the other games you recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Played Vampire Survivors for a bit earlier. Had played 4 or 5 games, one with each of the first 3 characters and two or three with the first dude. Wasn't really feeling it. Unlocked the 4th dude and by pure accident, about 20 seconds before I was about to give up, I evolved the dagger I was using and it changed the game completely. Made it much more enjoyable. But not sure if it would keep my interest. Seems to be quite samey. Not sure if it goes beyond moving to avoid enemies and picking the next upgrade, but that's literally all I've been doing. Buttons seem to have no effect, I believe by purpose. Maybe I haven't gone far enough. Not getting the outpouring of love this game is seeming to get.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's basically an off shoot of an incremental game, that genre of game where you make numbers go higher, the likes of Cookie Clicker or Kittens Game. If you like making numbers going higher, then Vampire Survivors is for you.

• Advertisement

Finished it myself last night, some really cool weapons and ideas but too few levels with little to distinguish them. It's a mix of rogue lite and bullet hell pretty much.

Garlic I found was the best thing you could get early on. Pushes away or outright kills low level early enemies meaning you can get 10 levels + in less than 2 minutes.

Good one for the daily achievement for the 50 points I'd say, keep you going for months with 140 achievements that are pretty easy.

Renewal time for me, armed myself with 3 x 1 year gold codes and 1 x 1 month ultimate. All seemed to go with out a hitch, no errors.

Applied the 1 month ultimate and all was grand until I saw the renewal date of Dec 2024 and not 2025. Checked order history and only 2 of the 3 live codes where there . Checked the codes again all showed redeemed. On to support, said one was status pending. That was yesterday and it still hasn't applied so look like I'll have to get on to them again.

Ah no man, hope it's sorted out quickly for you!

Nothing worse than an unexpected glitch like that when it works flawlessly for others!

Where did you get your codes, can I ask? My due date is early next month 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Damn it's addictive. I shouldn't like this game but I can't help myself. There's a fair bit of luck involved in what pickups you get. I like the fist guy, the whip to start is better than the throwing knives although it take no time to get the first few upgrades. I had a proper internal debate about whether to turn off the xbox last night or go for "just one more game"

Went with CD Keys, another place I've used in the past advertised slightly cheaper codes but excluded VAT, €147 for 3x1 year live and 1 x 1 month gpu which for 3 years is serious value.

I'd have have looked at Turkey or Argentina but I read they closed shopping there for non local accounts?

I'll check a few of the old haunts and see if they still exist! Might not after 3 plus years 😆

I might try get my gold in the next day or so, before they are all whipped up on black Friday!

• Advertisement

Instant Gaming was the one I was talking about who's headline price didn't include VAT. They have had a few name changes over the last few years but pre-Brexit were cheaper than CD Keys. No longer it seems, just can't recall what they were called when they would have been a go to for live points back in the day around here.

Ah yes, those guys! I just tried there and they are showing an exVat price until the final section of the payments side!

That's illegal for one and dodgy out too!

They were Press-Start for the console stuff back in the day, I think :)

Oh yes, meant to ask! Did you buy the 1 month GPU as a code also, or direct from MS?

I got a different agent who spotted what was going on right away. The 1 month gpu code pushed the stack to 37 months which was more than the 36 month / 3 year limit. They cancelled my sub and then reinstated me with 36 months and off we go again.

If anyone else has the same issue ask them to do the same. Support is in the Philippines so 'Salamat' is what you tell them when they fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Or Mabuhay!

Have to renew in Jan. Worth buying the codes now with Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals? I've not looked too hard but might be worth picking up a few codes now

• Advertisement

Did you happen to put in the 1 month code, before the 3 year codes?

Or will that happen regardless?

I put it in after, it's not something I've heard happening to others though. Last time I did it it was fine.

Didn't happen to me in quite the same way, but the last time around, I had to wait a few weeks before I could apply the one month code for the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Full list for the first half of December is up. Pretty big list of games leaving on the 15th.

That's nice. Was nearly going to buy that recently on black Friday sale. GP will do + a decent kids game too for Xmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Sorry a really stupid question likely answered elsewhere, but as a soon to be useless Stadia owner...

If used for Game Pass only, bar some graphical enhancements, is there any benefit in the Series S over the One S?

Have a One S, unsure if I need to upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

@Luxembourgo I'd assume at some stage there will "new" gen only games that may not work on the One models, not sure if already the case. I'm sure there's a performance bump with the SS, better boot and loading times. I find it very hard to use my OneX (which is now the family media player) after becoming acclimatised to my SX - no clue if its the same going from OS to SS

@theteal

Thanks, might test out the game pass with the One S and see if it's worth the move.

Deleted, answered elsewhere

Post edited by Luxembourgo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone who is fan of snes/ps1 era RPGs check out Chained Echoes. Reminds me a lot of FFIX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

About 6 hrs in, great game so far. Made by one guy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

I moved from One S to Series S (trade in with GameStop for €90 !!!). I'm not mad into graphics and my telly isn't oled 4k or whatever, so any new graphics improvements are lost on me. But what is good though is the speed and fast boot up of some games. On the One S it was almost like loading and old amstrad cassette game, took ages.

Also I was keen to do the trade up before the offer was withdrawn. I had a few CD games that are now useless but I'll trade them in anyway.

Ended up keeping the One as the media centre upstairs and bought the Series S, looking forward to the Christmas delivery 👌👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

High on life so good , hilarious !

The Series S is ridiculously good value and incredible performance for the price. Think it's been on discount since black Friday. Also tiny, cool and quiet.

That + 3 years GamePass for 120 quid ish + all the digital sales from MS and cdkeys, eneba ... and your covered for .. years. Don't bother buying full price on Xbox. Just wait for sakes

Have the Turkey gamepass bought and a few games loaded 👍.

The only downside is I wasn't able to convince my wife it needed to be played on the better TV 😂

Make sure you play the 60 FPS ( performance ) options if you can. Should be a lot smoother and also, the older games load so fast, you can't read the loading screen hints 😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just finished High on Life there. Was a bit of craic, was starting to get a little tired of the combat towards the end and was just speed running it where possible. Not too long to finish either which I really appreciated, there are just too many games to play these days and I spent nearly 6 weeks on God of War so happy to be able to move onto something else relatively quickly now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have to play that. It looks good. Well I didn't look too much into it which I am always like before playing a game as I feel if you watch too much about a game you ruin the experience or so I find anyway.

That is good I suppose that it is shortish.

I'm struggling to finish it. I'm at the second last boss and I just have lost interest. The talking guns is unique, but the gunplay is lacking imo. Feels very floaty, no "feel" to the weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I've been playing Pentiment recently and loving it. Playing it on my phone mainly as touch controls work reasonably well for it. Obviously it's completely story based and very little 'gameplay' but even so I find the story very well told and enough intrigue to keep pressing on with it.

Not too far into high on life, got side tracked by the fact it's got the full tammy and the trex movie in it to watch. I saw the poster on the wall and laughed as I remembered it from back in the day and then later came back and it was on the tv and thought surely not but yeah they whole thing is there 🤣

I'm currently playing it also. Is that the film on the Tv? I seen a bit of it two guys grabbing each other by the cock. Left at the that moment to play the game.

the "testicular standoff" 😂 Yeah I got a bit further than that before I left it but the whole thing is there by all accounts, its a bit of a cult classic in the so bad it's bad but good. Paul Walker was only a kid in it and a young Denise Richards.

• Advertisement

I find it a good game so far. But like always and collecting things I spent far too long trying to collect the collectibles. I was on the roof in the slums searching for ages and some how managed to get up to a roof your not meant to and fell behind the wall and was stuck and had to reload a checkpoint. Luckily the game saves constantly so didn't loose anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

Absolutely loved this game. So chill, easy enough and very funny. Love thdt type of game. Wasn't too long either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Why o why did I download Age of Empires 2 it shouldn't be this addictive.

Still a great game imo

Ah, AoE2, another one I've forgotten about. Installing! I've tried them all, and 2 is still the best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Anyone give Mortal Shell a go since it was added?

• Advertisement
Advertisement