Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox Game Pass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sorry, new here since have PC and not XBox, but how much would it work out as to join a family?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm gone off driving games. I am still trying to play Horizon 3. And obviously I have the two new ones to play also but I can't as I get sore fingers from pressing the triggers for long periods. Odd but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

A full group of five in XGP F&F would be the equivalent of €4.40 per account per month. Doesn't matter if you're PC or Xbox, all accounts in the plan get Ultimate which includes both, as well as cloud gaming.

Even just two accounts already makes it cheaper than XGPU individually (€11 in group versus €13 individual)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

First September update is here. Quite a few games leaving this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭eggy81

Brand new Xbox series x owner here. Making the jump over from ps now for the first time. Young lad has basically taken my ps5 and account over the last year or so and finally moved it into his room so I’m joking the other side for a bit.

For the experienced lads here what way would you say a new owner should go about setting up Xbox live and game pass. Should I be trying to stack the ultimate thing on top of Xbox live gold and all that. Is there stil savings and deals going for game pass and live gold.

cheers.

• Advertisement

Refer to the stickied thread wrt offers on Game Pass. Long story short though is stacking Gold and converting to GPU is the cheapest option, unless you want to join a group for the new Friends and Family tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Definitely play Artful Escape and Lost Words before they go. They are easy 1000G's if you're into that.

I haven't played Lost Words yet, but Artful Escape is also a big recommendation, just for being a fun and weird game.

Not often I remember much about the easy games I play just for daily achievements, but this one sticks with me 😊

Lost words is more of a game than Artful escape. Still a short game and kinda the same in sections as artful escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ah great, looking forward to this so! About 4-5 hours playthrough according to true achievements! 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭padair

Does anyone think the new monkey island game will come to live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, the stacked gamepads ultimate deal. 3 years for about 120 quid is a steal. The free Xbox Live games are mostly rubbish, although Portal 2 is out this month ( you can keep these forever ).

Then depends on what kind of games you like. I don't like sports, racing, FPS games, ... so what am I doing on Xbox you ask ? Silent, beautiful Xbox Series X. Plus instant game resume, so you can switch between games instantly/magically. Make sure you've got it hooked up to a 4K monitor/TV. And with decent HDR if you can. And make sure games are running at 60 FPS at least ( and not the sometime default of 30 ).

Also, you can cloud stream games and if you like them an want better performance you can download the game and continue your progress and/or switch between streaming and downloaded games. <- Game Pass Ultimate. Pretty sweet. Kinda like a really nice demo system!

Get rechargeable batteries and a charger for about 20 quid.

Games I've enjoyed/enjoying include Ori Will of the wisps, Skyrim, Control, AC Odyssey/Origins, RDR2, GTA5, Forza Horizon 4/5, Halo Infinite (ish), Death's Door, ...

There are digital game sales all the time. Xbox store, but places like CDKeys and eneba are much cheaper here.

Got myself 2.5 years or so for 95€ there last night. The selection of games to play is huge. Almost intimidatingly so when I know I’ll waste half the year on cod and other half on destiny/fifa. Need to make a point of playing some single players stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Am I the only one totally underwhelmed with this current generation of games on Xbox? Most seem like they could run quite easily on my phone. Where are all the games that really push the hardware to the limit? Having the Series X is like having a Ferrari in the garage and using it to run down to the shop for some milk.

I'm currently playing Rage(Xbox 360 title) and just finished Doom and the difference is staggering. I know Doom is a Xbox One title but it played brilliantly on my Series X.

The main difference between my old One X and my Series X is most games on Series X play at 60FPS and also quicker load times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I have a series s and it's so quiet compared to previous generation playstations, so that's great too.

Yep, I love how quiet the Series X is. I can just appreciate it.

The PS5 is there buzzing away, and differently depending on whether I'm playing the game, looking at a map in the game ... It's not that loud, but it's annoying.

Some very impressive games on there, but MS still have to produce thar killer exclusive. Halo and Forza are too run of the mill.

First 2 games if got stuck into. Run of the mill but enjoyable. Horizon 4 I’m playing because I had started it befor on pc and it carried over. Not sure how long it will keep me sucked in. Reminds a bit of dirt really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I never get this need for a killer exclusive. If a game is good and available across platforms, isn't that better?

I'm just saying XBox hardware is excellent this generation, but MS need some games that are of excellent quality and appeal to a large audience to sell more XBoxes and really compete against Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Where did you buy yours from? CDKeys is around 90 euro just for 2 years of xbox live.

• Advertisement

I bought 2 years from cd keys but the second year came in 4x3 month codes. So 5 by free month by turning recurring on and off each time got me just under 2.5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Said I'd give Disney Dreamlight Valley a go. Thought it was an online type game but it's completely single player. And so far microtransaction free. It's My Time at Portia with Disney characters. Maybe that's what Animal Crossing is, I've never played that. But yeah, that's basically it. Seems to have charm but still needs work. Surprised it's not voiced properly, just sounds, phrases and motion with text boxes. But it does give you an option to be a dick to Mickey... strange sentence that.

Still early days, haven't really gotten out of the starting area yet, it's a collectors/clean up dream. But at least it gives you the decency of being able to 1-shot the common stuff, no degradation, no running out of water. It at least knows the boring part should be done quickly. Jokes are on par for Disney so far. Nothing offensive of course. At least not yet, maybe when we get to some of the evil-types we'll get something spicy. That's if it keeps my interest. Kids will probably love it. Inventory management needs an overhaul, it's clunky and unintuitive. Also a very social focused game, having to talk to everyone every day, gifts, bring them with you while collecting/mining/fishing, etc. That might eventually turn me off, and it's something you have to do to progress.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, might download that for the kids actually, I thought that it was online only too.

Actually, forgot the worst part so far. I game mainly between 8pm and 8am. The game syncs to real time, so its always night time for me. Grand, except some characters are not awake during the night. So I'm effectively blocked from speaking to some because I'm a night owl. Stupid, stupid, stupid system.

Well, that's why Animal Crossing is better on portable systems. You take the game with you and check in check out when you want. And it covers the whole year, different seasons,.festivals etc.

You can probably change the clock to switch to different times. You can in AC IIRC.

From what I'm reading, the only way to skip time is to change the time on the platform you're playing on, ie: change the time on the Xbox console. Ah, no. I'd imagine this will be something they will change before it goes F2P, it's a stupid system.

Yeah, as I refuse to mess about with system settings just to play a part of the game that should be available, I'm getting sick of perpetual night mode. It's not causing much hassle right now in terms of progress, but I'm sick of Mickey telling me it's getting awfully late. And the only difference in night time is it's either raining or not, so darkness or depressing darkness. I know I'm the weird one here with the night owl times, but it's a crazy system to implement in a currently single player game. It'll die a death on that alone for me.

Saying that, the 1-progress interaction per character per actual day is another barrier. Similarly, giving the gifts to up the friendship is locked to 3 specific items per actual day. The mobile aspects of this are horrible. I can see where the MT's will be coming into play. Butter costs 180 coins, milk 210, and they can only be bought so far. In comparison, cleaning up the vine things give you 3-8 coins mostly.

And don't worry about cleaning up all the vines, stones, digs and flowers, they come back eventually anyway. Everything costs a lot of money after the first couple of upgrades, ie: the house costs 2k to upgrade. Second upgrade is 20k. The backpack first upgrade to unlock a single extra line of spaces (8 or 10 slots, can't remember) is 2k. Second is 20k. There's 6 or so lines to unlock. Every house and shop has multiple upgrades required too, all in ever increasing amounts and it's not pouring in either. Selling gems seems to be the best, but it's limited to spawn rates.

Damn, they could have had an amazing single player experience here, but yet again ruined by MT's. I can't imagine how horrible it will be once it's F2P. Youngones will probably love it for the characters, and maybe they'll have a bit more patience with the mobile side of things. But because of all that, it really can't even put a scratch on Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley, MTAP, etc. Similar concepts, completely different games. They would have been better off creating a proper single player Disneydew Valley and charge a normal games price. I'm beginning to dislike it, which inevitably means it will probably do really well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Advertisement

I see a few on Twitter saying that online multiplayer will be exclusive to Switch!? Surely that can't be right!

Edit - seems it is. Ridiculous

Advertisement