Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox Game Pass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Plague Tale sequel out tomorrow, loved the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Been playing a good bit of Hitman recently, found myself spending so much time looking for the most elaborate ways to kill someone

Started Plague Tale the other night, it's grand but I'm finding it painfully slow and I'm on chapter 9 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Anyone setting up a Xbox family account , would interested in joining

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Gave that new 505 game on GP a go, a first person FPS roguelite apparantly. I was getting motion sickness from it so had to turn it off. Not sure what was causing it, but it felt "not 60fps" to me. Gunfire Reborn is the name. Maybe it was just me. I'll give it another go over the weekend. And Phil says GP is profitable but probably won't get much bigger as a percentage of overall revenue:

“Game Pass as an overall part of our content and services revenue is probably 15 percent,” says Spencer. “I don’t think it gets bigger than that. I think the overall revenue grows so 15 percent of a bigger number, but we don’t have this future where I think 50–70 percent of our revenue comes from subscriptions.”

Honestly expected it to be a bigger slice. Wonder what the other 85% is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It looks nice but I found the 30fps a bit off putting after getting used to playing solely 60fps as of late. Also the kids voice acting is just kind of annoying, not sure I want to spend an entire game listening to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Stop playing a plague tale to give signalis a bash. Played it for a fair few hours there feeling liking it. Old school survival horror my only complaint is I feel a tad overpowered but I've a feeling that will come to a very quick end and il have no ammo left eeekk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Finished up the forgotten city today before it leaves gamepass. Really enjoyed it, probably took just over 5 hours in the end. Nice and contained and the city has a decent bit of depth to it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Silly question probably, but I always meant to ask - How do you know if its 30 or 60fps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djan

If you can't tell count yourself lucky and keep it at 30fps. Being used to 144 or at the very least 60fps on PC, the 30fps looks like a sideshow to me. Some people are much more sensitive to it than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You notice it more once you get used to 60 FPS and it's especially noticeable on an OLED TV.

In a 3D game rotate the scene around a character. There is a distinct lag between the user input and the screen rotating. Also, yiu may see blurring or worse.

Some games are worse than others. Fenyx Rising is awful in 30 FPS for me on OLED. Terrible input lag and blurry screen. by contrast, it's lovely and smooth and very responsive in 60 FPS.

30 FPS on OLED on certain games is so bad for me, it makes me queasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Game pass update 1 for the month. Return to Monkey Island going up on PC, Xbox and cloud next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭padair

Delighted to see this, I was holding off buying monkey island for this reason

• Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah as others have said, once you know you know. Even 12 months ago I'd have said I don't care about framerate at all, but once you get used to 60fps and start noticing the difference it's very hard to go back to 30.

Just finished the main game in AC Origins. Great game. I enjoyed it a lot. Way, way better than Odyssey, much shorter and less grindy too. After Odyssey I said I'd never put myself through a game like that again, but Origins sucked me right in and I flew through it.

Won't be big news to many 😂 but it's a game I'm looking forward to so hope it's true. The gameplay is aiming to be like the great AKI wrestling games on N64 (Revenge, WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Payday 2 was a bit of a blast with pumping techno and bank heists etc. Not easy either.

Really looking forward to a few of these games especially Starfield, Lies of P, Atomic heart, Wo Long, Forza and Silksong.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Silksong is like Schroedinger's Cat, it may or may not come out on a particular console in April 2023. I really don't get the delay, the game design is as basic as donkey Kong.

Redfall has done nothing for me so far I have to say, probably because it's more geared towards MP. Even if it can be played properly all the way through in single player, it still isn't interesting me.

• Advertisement

Can't believe how addictive Vampire survivors is! Keep going back for one more go 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Coming late to this game I know and maybe playing it on Series X makes a difference but I'm playing Quantum Break and I think it's amazing so far - I've never played anything like it. Are there any other xbox exclusives that I should try? Thanks

Assassins Creed Origins is not an Xbox exclusive, but I love it 😂 . It looks gorgeous and it's the right sized open world, that appears to have been actually designed and not thrown together. It's relaxing and easy to drop in and out of. Make sure you play it at 4K 60 FPS and in HDR if you can.

If you haven't played the follow ups (Odyssey, Valhalla), just go with this one and ignore the others. If you have well, its head and shoulders above them.

Ori and the will of the wisps is an excellent game too on SX.

They added perks for 3 months free Apple tv+ and Apple music for new users. Good timing I guess as my Spotify trial is up. The reviews for the music app on android don't inspire optimism 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Can you add to an existing trial to Apple TV Plus I wonder? 🤔

Am in the middle of a 6 month trial rn!

Edit:

Probably not, by the wording in the perk!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Sunset Overdrive from Insomniac games is wonderful, and has been overlooked.

Crackdown 3 is good fun, but fairly limited. You do get very overpowered by the end, but that's actually the fun of the game.

Gears 5 is a bit more standard, but probably the best looking game of the last generation.

The Forza games are all of a high standard, if you're into racing at all. Motorsport is the more "sim" game, with Horizon being more "arcade".

The Ori games are both incredible, even if that Ginso Tree section can go f* itself 😂

Outside of Xbox exclusives, these are games that I'll always recommend no matter what, and maybe you've missed them: Outer Wilds, and The Return of the Obra Dinn. Both genius games, and so unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Thanks a million - I have only player Horizon - looking forward to playing the other games you recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Played Vampire Survivors for a bit earlier. Had played 4 or 5 games, one with each of the first 3 characters and two or three with the first dude. Wasn't really feeling it. Unlocked the 4th dude and by pure accident, about 20 seconds before I was about to give up, I evolved the dagger I was using and it changed the game completely. Made it much more enjoyable. But not sure if it would keep my interest. Seems to be quite samey. Not sure if it goes beyond moving to avoid enemies and picking the next upgrade, but that's literally all I've been doing. Buttons seem to have no effect, I believe by purpose. Maybe I haven't gone far enough. Not getting the outpouring of love this game is seeming to get.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's basically an off shoot of an incremental game, that genre of game where you make numbers go higher, the likes of Cookie Clicker or Kittens Game. If you like making numbers going higher, then Vampire Survivors is for you.

• Advertisement

Finished it myself last night, some really cool weapons and ideas but too few levels with little to distinguish them. It's a mix of rogue lite and bullet hell pretty much.

Garlic I found was the best thing you could get early on. Pushes away or outright kills low level early enemies meaning you can get 10 levels + in less than 2 minutes.

Good one for the daily achievement for the 50 points I'd say, keep you going for months with 140 achievements that are pretty easy.

Advertisement