Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Eireann - Proposal to Tender 10% of Routes in 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes I meant to say Route 4. Just wondering why they adjusted the route? Granted the old road is very quiet there’s surely an added time disadvantage. Was it due to Dublin Coach and BE going after a different market/funding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They haven’t actually changed the route. They have just dropped four departures on it in each direction.

They dropped the three X4 southbound journeys which were the ones that used the M9 south of Carlow, plus the 07:00 departure from Dublin, and they dropped four departures from Waterford to Dublin which all used the M9.

The remaining departures all have exactly the same timetable as they did prior to the change.

Presumably it was’t making money for them, or with the additional PSO services in Waterford starting, they wouldn’t have sufficient staff, given the ongoing recruitment issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yep. I read some very good details about the enhanced service for the 133 on the Bray Independent recently.

It mentioned some details in the article and from Darren Hall on Facebook.

19 double decker coaches (LF's) will be delivered for the 101/133.

16 single decker coaches (low floor coaches in GAI and Bus Éireann) will also be delivered as well.

There will be a new town service called the 131. This will operate on a hourly frequency. It will run between Arklow Town & Bray.

It also said that either the 133L or 133B will be run with a TFI operator in Carlow & Kilkenny.

The new timetable will be in place in the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Wicklow Town and Bray not Arklow is the plan for the 131 unless somethings changed. Where will the 131 terminate in Bray? The DART Station is surely out of the question given the space constraints there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The 133B currently starts and terminates at the bus stops on Castle Street outside SuperValu. Not sure how it turns around for after arriving into Bray however (only currently happens for the 16:50 ex. Bray)

No facilities for buses to turn around or layover there. They could use Woodbrook roundabout to turn around but you still run into the issue of a lack of place to layover there.

Possibly after the E1 becomes operational that will free up space at the station for another bus to terminate there which would make most sense for connectivity but I can't see an LF making it into the station (think VTs were banned from the station) and I can see it being a tight squeeze for a VB.

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭TranslatorPS

That diagram is a 16.49 arrival 16.50 departure if memory isn't failing me. There certainly isn't a layover issue there right now - there would be in the future, unless they keep on doing such unfeasible turnarounds.

That diagram is a 16.49 arrival 16.50 departure if memory isn't failing me

Yep that's correct, was checking myself before posting earlier. Doubt they'd make it to woodbrook roundabout and back in 1 minute during rush hour in Bray - the departure would always be delayed if that was the case!

It's a one a day route it dosen't need somewhere to layover. I'm guessing it just runs special from Broadstone to Bray then goes into service as soon as it reaches Bray. An hourly service is different.

• Advertisement

They are referring to the 133B from Wicklow that arrives in Bray at 16:49 and then returns to Wicklow at 16:50.

Nothing to do with coming special from Broadstone!

All I was pointing was a one a day service dosen't need somewhere to layover or turnaround the same way an hourly service does.

I'm not familiar with the timetable for this service and I didn't know the 16:50 bus operated a service in the other direction previously as I merely have a passing interest in public transport operations and don't know every single timetable and working timetable off by heart. My sincere apologies.

Yes, LXFlyer clarified that well. My original post was pondering on the fact that the solution in place for that single turnaround on the 133B would not be feasible for an all-day hourly service though.

I get that, but if you're going to post a comment such as you did, it does tend to help to look at the actual timetables beforehand! :-)

The 133B is actually two services each way currently, not one!

https://buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=406&form-view-timetables-from=&form-view-timetables-to=&form-view-timetables-route=133b&form-view-timetables-submit=1

Apologies I assumed it was one morning service and an evening service as a lot of these one a day in either direction services usually are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It is a couple of short 133s put in when the hourly 133 timetable began and the peak service was taken out of Bray around 2010.

It's been changed a bit since then and the Bray traffic black hole has expanded to the point that serving the current stop on the edge of the town is now awful too so removing all the City bound services to the M11 is long overdue.

Most of the 133s are run from Wicklow outbase not Broadstone anyway.

I'd have thought a few streetlights would be a better fit for the Bray run, an utter waste to have 2 or 3 coaches, particularly high capacity deckers, trundling back and forth to Bray carrying SFA most of the day. There is the need to get them to Broadstone for maintenance to consider though.

• Advertisement

Didn't even know BE had an outbase in Wicklow Town. Apart from being utter heaps of junk Streetlites would probably be better suited to this run.

Between the 19 Mon-Fri duties that Bus Eireann has labelled as 133 duties (despite a heavy amount of interlining in certain garages, BE duties are still numbered using a primary route, which frankly only works in Broadstone), only five are Broadstone-based, including a split shift. That 4pm Wicklow/Bray service is actually the last run of an 11-hour Wicklow-based duty that doesn't touch Dublin at all throughout the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Generally the replaced BE inter urban services have been with improved and better placed services. Athlone for example now has its stop nearer to the motorway saving pointless traffic light jungle negotiating. So a trip to or from galway usually gets there within the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

When I took the 16:00 133B from Wicklow Town to Bray about a year or two ago, it operated as per normal 133 routing to Bray and terminated at the drop off stop on Upper Dargle Road at Sunnybank for Dublin bound 133 services and then proceeded to the stop opposite SuperValu on Castle Street to operate the 16:50 133B back to Wicklow via Ballywaltrim.

So it took the fassaroe exit going towards Bray? It would have skipped a few stops in Bray then!

Going by the timetable it's meant to serve 5 stops between Ballywaltrim and castle Street. I guess if the driver is nice you can stay on the return service as that also serves the same area (just going the other direction of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I've been reading in the BE Facebook groups that the 101 is to be getting new VBs instead of LFs; a Drogheda driver said they haven't been type trained on LFs. Which to me sounds ridiculous from a capacity perspective. Drogheda very often put VWDs on the 101 to increase capacity but using a city bus on such a long route is unpleasant to say the least. I doubt they'll stop that when the VBs come in, unless they want to leave passengers standing at stops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

VB are the Volvo Sunsundegui low-floor bus/coach hybrid not a city bus. They are the replacements for all the full coaches on PSO routes that don't get double deck coaches. They are air conditioned and coach seated and perfectly acceptable for the route, Balbriggan - Dublin is shorter in time than plenty of city bus routes with far lower spec than a VB.

Sure they regularly put VWDs on it anyway at the moment which are a city bus especially the 182 batch with centre doors that are essentially the same spec as an SG.

So the VB would be a big improvement in regards of passenger comfort but may not be so great in terms of capacity so I understand that concern. Over in the UK city buses would be very much the norm on pretty much all provincial routes. So people can't really complain about comfort on BE PSO routes.

Sorry, just to clarify, my “city bus” quote was in relation to the VWDs.

About the UK, I presume they’re not restricted to 40 mph though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It's really great to see the Sunsundegui low floor coaches starting to become the norm around the country. I think they look like a really decent coach fleet.

BÉ have them with the green livery on the 343 from Ennis to Limerick. Although a big number of them are still in the old NTA blue livery that are used on routes between Galway to Cork and Galway to Derry.

GAI also have them in the blue livery on some of their Dublin Commuter routes while they are operated from their depots in Naas/Ballymount.

I am surprised to read that the BÉ drivers on the 133 have not received any proper formal training for driving the LFs on the route.

BÉ should really get their act together on this task. Dublin Coach currently have coaches of similar size to the LFs in their fleet. There was one Dublin Coach driver, featured in the Dublin Coach Experience thread here on boards, who got in trouble with the Guards about overtaking and blocking a cyclist on the road one of their routes last year.

That type of stuff really should not be happening when BÉ drivers are out on the road while driving the LFs. If BÉ don't want any of their own drivers to get in frequent trouble with the Guards about breaking the law from provisions in the Road Traffic Act. They have to get the finger out and give their drivers the type training for the LFs asap.

Some of the BÉ drivers are out there driving them on the NX route from Dublin to Navan. The drivers on the 133 should really be given the same treatment very quickly IMO.

GAI also have them in the blue livery on some of their Dublin Commuter routes while they are operated from their depots in Naas/Ballymount.

Just on this - None of their Kildare commuter services are done out of Ballymount, they're fully worked out of Naas (plus I believe an edenderry outstation).

I am surprised to read that the BÉ drivers on the 133 have not received any proper formal training for driving the LFs on the route.

You've misread. The 133s are type trained on the LFs, have been for a while, as they operate the LF300s, but also the LF400s and LF800s now, as the basis of the fleet on that route. It is the 101 drivers that are not receiving LF type training.

Yes, Edenderry is indeed an outbase. Funnily enough, even though it is an outbase, Edenderry duties and Edenderry-starting bus diagrams are numbered lower than those out of Naas, for alphabetic reasons I'd assume.

There used to be a short period when Commuter buses would be dumped in Ballymount for the interpeak period, with drivers being ferried by one bus to Naas after the AM peak, and then another single bus taking them to BMT for the PM peak, but if memory isn't a lying female dog to me right now, I believe that lasted a grand total of about 3 days, and that was during the very first week of 126/130s only temporary working timetable, before Edenderry even happened.

LF spotted in Balbriggan. So we could be seeing LFs on the 101 after all...

https://fb.watch/iP9ObMURNn/

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Does the 101 really need double deck tri axel coaches? Would the VB not be a better option? The LF seems to be a bit of an overkill on this route.

Its a disgrace Joe!

VBs will be the mainstay, but the 101 will need some departures operated by LFs - presumably the ones currently using VWDs.

You’d be leaving folks behind otherwise.

Remember that daytime frequency isn’t changing.

• Advertisement

The LFs should be a big improvement for passengers and drivers on the 101 over the VWDs. I've seen the 182 VWDs they were using on the 101 and they are basically an SG due to having dual doors and low back seats.

In the UK outside London there's a lot of operators using double deckers on longer distance country routes.

Seems the VBs are beginning to enter service in Drogheda. According to the Tapatalk forums, VB511 was seen operating a 101x and supposedly VB508 was on a 101.

I'd imagine they're getting them up and running now so there's no issues when the new timetable for the 101 is implemented.

I saw one on a 190 service a few days ago but didn't catch the number.

Yep there's usually some on the 190 for a while now, I believe since it was extended to serve Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

Does anyone know which 101X departures from Wilton Terrace are operated by BÉ Drogheda and which by Corduff Travel? I'm hoping to get a spin of a 231 VB this week if one turns up but if I turn up for the 16:00 101X and its Corduff I'd have to wait 40 minutes for the 2nd one and the 2 departures behind that. Or are Corduff hired in on an ad-hoc basis? Even if a VB doesn't turn up, I've only spun the 101X once and that was with Corduff ages ago so would be good to do it again.

I haven't used the 101X for a while but when I did, the 17:10 ex Wilton Terrace was operated by Corduff. The 16:40 and 17:30 were Bus Éireann. I don't know about the 16:00 as I never got it.

Some of the lads on the Irish Transport Road forum have an app that tells them what bus operates each departure, you should give one of them a text.

Its a disgrace Joe!

That only works for Dublin Bus unfortunately, as they make the fleet code available through their own API.

Ahh, my bad. Im not up to date with the tech side of it. I see LF820 has been spotted in service, strange as I thought the LF new batch only went up to LF819.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

Presumably the NTA have realised that the 101 needs more double decks than they originally thought, and one of the latest batch is being reallocated to the fleet for the recent tender.

LF820 was briefly LF467 but has been renumbered.

Why do BE have such odd fleet numbers. I'm sure there are not 820 LFs in service with BE but yet the fleet numbers suggest they do.

I believe the intention was for LF8xx to be the fleet code for the coaches specifically ordered for the 101/133 contract, but then they redesignated LF467 to LF820, which essentially makes that logic moot.

As far as I'm aware, other than what I mentioned above, there's no actual difference between the LF4xx and LF8xx coaches.

The LF8XX are for the 101/133 tender.

As I’ve posted already, the NTA have clearly decided that they need an additional double deck on the 101, hence LF467 has been reassigned to that tender as LF820.

Are those LFs based out of Drogheda or Broadstone?

Driver training on the LFs has been taking place in Drogheda seemingly so perhaps a mix of both.

Alternatively they could be assigned to Broadstone and just be swapped out during the day.

We shall have to wait and see!

• Advertisement

Elsewhere in the country, 6 new Limerick registered Lf's have arrived in Limerick

231L1513 through to 231L1518.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Saw an LF on the 101 this morning near Drogheda train station.

Spotted one about 20 mins ago heading through Santry.

Its a disgrace Joe!

What's the Drogheda garage like for parking is it tight? I believe DB had an issue with parking the VTs in Bray outstation so all VT operated duties on the 145 were done out of Donnybrook. Possibly be similar for the LFs in Drogheda?

Official NTA announcement for the new timetables for the 101 & 133:

On the Bus Eireann website, it shows the timetables as valid from 7th May.

The 131 will terminate at Bray Train Station, unlike the 133B which terminated at Castle Street outside the Supervalu

• Advertisement
Advertisement