Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Prodigy (animated children's series)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭corkie

@Spear The specific Voyager callback that's a major plot point for the episode, is one from 20 years ago and hinges on a character that doesn't appear to have even warranted a name.

Janeway is released from her holding cell by a former Brenarichild she saved from the Devore in the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Counterpoint".

Only part 1, so not an ending as such.

Post edited by corkie on

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I only meant ending in the context of that single episode, rather than the series. I'll amend it to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I believe the phrase I'm looking for here is "S#!t just got real!".

Looking forward to seeing how they resolve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

19: 😧

That's not good. That last shot. Like the time the Breen joined the war or the earlier taking of the Chin'toka system.

Klingon Bird of Prey shields lasted a whole of like 2 minutes. Which makes sense.. it's not the biggest of ships.

Not sure anyone could come in and interrupt it with shields without just getting blasted away.

Thinking either Star Fleet are going to be licking their wounds or some time travel will be needed.

Music on this show has been on-point. Really deep stuff towards the end there. Especially with the father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Really good episode. Great battle scenes.

Anyone else think the Ferengi just arrived to see if they could steal some sh1t?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I did wonder about them showing up. I know they become members of starfleet as time progresses .. not sure I can remember if they join the Federation. I thought they could be there for dodgy reasons but really though.. jumping into a dangerous situation like this.. seems more for a better reason. If they wanted to loot a leftover fleet, they could just wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wow it just got real. I think the only way they can resolve this is by destroying the Protostar if they can get the self destruct to work.

Surely that is the way out or the non federation ships destroy all the Federation ships weapons but as more keep coming that could b

ee forever.

So far I have seen Akira class ships, Defiant Class, Sovereign class, Centour Class And promethous class.

Disappointing that there was no Galaxy class or Oddosy class or Intrepid class or Norway class or Steamrunner class or Exelcsior class ships do or even Ambassador class. This would have been the perfect place to have a few of them.

A very abrupt end again but not long to wait till part two. I look forward to seeing how they solve it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Trekyards did a break down of the battle, with Centaur, Defiant, Sovereign all present. But in the background on a couple of clips, so was ENT-E. Reg can be made out on one of the nacelles.

If there is no time warp shenanigans going on next episode. This is how the E might meet her end and why it's not in Picard Season 3.

@TheValeyard If there is no time warp shenanigans going on next episode.

The whole season has time travel involved?

The question if and how the time-traveling Vau N'Akat accounted for the grandfather paradox in case they succeeded may be a minor issues because "temporal shielding" is quite a common concept in Trek's time travel stories.

That link has good breakdown of the timeline of events.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Advertisement

Oh I know the whole thing has time travelled invovled. I meant that they wont undo the battle scene or something.

I'm fully expecting Chakotay to turn up next

Ms

When you think of it the story is very similar to what the Xindi wanted to do in Enterprise the only difference being that the Xindi were influenced by an outside race from the future and the Xindi were trying to stop starfleet and the Federation from ever happening in the first place. Here the race wanting to destroy statfleet have travelled back to the past.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Very true @AMKC

But the storyline worked

Although I dont understand why the nacelles and windows all turned red?

Some shots of the Enterprise E.

Then this last one of the getting taken apart.

Ms

It's because it's basically a children's show after all and Red means bad. So just showing that them ships have all gone bad.

Anyway getting back to the ships I am hoping we see more ship classes in the next episode hopefully

How cool was it to see the E there do?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah was cool and seeing some cool changes nic ships again like the Defiant, Centaur and Sovereign. Surprised the Excelsior didnt show up!

I would have liked to see some more Galaxy Class and California class.

Awe sthap! The thoughts of a Galaxy Wing! Like those mentioned at 1:24 here:

Battle for Deep Space Nine - Part 1 - Sacrifice of Angels - Widescreen HD

WANT!

Am I right in thinking we havent seen any Miranda Class ships? Finally retired or were they in Lower Decks?

Funny how early talk of this series, not here but online, was criticism and commenting on it being a kids show. And now people are analysing every little detail of scenes. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It would be quite something if a kid's show featured the canonical demise of the Enterprise-E.

As an aside, there's an account on Instagram which features Admiral Janeway's logs every week. It's a really good accompaniment to the show.

https://www.instagram.com/startreklogs/?hl=en

Ms

So I just rewatched most of that episode again. I really don't know why the Admiral did not contact the Captain of the ship she was on as soon as the ensign gave her the communicator to tell him to not open comms with the Protostar and to tell all other ships the same and it would have stopped the predicament they are now in from happening.

It will be interesting to see how it is solved or will there be a cliffhanger at the end of the season with the TBC for next season?

Yes I was partially right about how they could solve it stop the red swirly thing lol. I forget what it's called already.

This is a really good episode and it's also quite sad but quite good in a way too. Ye go Gwenalda and go Dal.

A nice link to the future too which I think some here have guessed already.

I kind of guessed who the 5 would be it's very obvious if you pay attention over the two episodes.

Enjoy. I certainly did enjoy it.

It is all nicely set up for next season now too.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Through a message from Chakotay, the episode establishes that the events which concluded with the original crew of the USS Protostar ending up stranded on Solum in a now alternate future, took place 52 years from 2384, thus in 2436.

Enjoyable episode but a SMALL bit anticlimactic.

No review on trekmovie for episode yet, may edit this post with a link later.

When Is The Star Trek: Prodigy Season 2 Release Date?

While Star Trek: Prodigy Season 2 has been confirmed and in development, there is no news of when it will begin streaming. Following the time gaps between Part 1 and Part 2 of Season 1, we can speculate it could possibly premiere at the end of 2023, or sometime early 2024. ~~ https://decider.com/2022/10/27/star-trek-prodigy-season-2-season-1-return/

Post edited by corkie on

Nice finale, wrapping things up, but leaving enough open for a second season, in case they were cancelled.

Weird thinking that was only season 1 considering how long it took to air. Started October 2021 and only finishing it's 20th episode now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

** SPOILERS **

Ah I wouldn't call it anticlimactic. They could only do so much with the runtime without leaving even more threads for season 2.

We got the big battle last week. This week was about the characters and heart of the show while still in a simpler kid friendly framework.

Really enjoyed it with some nice resolutions for each of the crew (including Dal's awkward moment last episode!) , and I'll put money on Janeway's much bigger plan involving a 74656-A 😁 seeing as she specifically gets to pick the ship to go through the new wormhole.

It's been a great season all round. I'd actually put it above Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds as the best follow up to proper Trek we've seen yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As a season finale, I thought it fairly solid and well handled. The major dramatic points weren't dragged out or done in heavy handed manner. The shorter run time may help in that regard. And it gives half the episode over to the fallout and follow-up, something that was a major omission in Voyager ironically. The only major quibble I could have is about the shuttle and it's sudden, unspotted arrival. But that passes quickly, as does any annoyance from it, and it appears to have been for the sake of an ST:IV reference.

Well. That's season one. From where they started to where they are now, that was fun! 🙂

20: Damn the fleet really took a beating! Guessing that the story is sticking with that and starfleet had to lick their wounds.

Holo Janeway gone but Admiral Janeway still there. It's wierd. It still feels like a loss. The holo characters and their independence has been built up enough for me over multiple shows, arcs and episodes for them to feel like their own independent lives.

Glad Gwyn was after deciding to go look for her people. I'd been worried the academy might have been blaming her just for being Vau N'Akat or her fathers daughter.

Future! Yes season two has to be 100% at this point. Easy to see the big story they'll be getting into for it.

Rescue Chakotay and possibly.. or later.. save the Vau N'Akat

I did think the shuttle appearing like that was a "but how" moment... but also.. it was one month later and I wouldn't put it past them have a flashback episode in the future.

The last point I kinda liked was .. towards the end.. how Starfleet HQ on Earth was like an extended grand-aul-stretch sunset 🙂

Holo Janeway got a good send off.

Interesting that they are keeping the fleet losses. I was expecting timey wimey shenanigans.

A decent end to a decent season, and nicely set up for season two.

Zeros new look is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

RIP Hologram Janeway. Had a lump in my throat. One of those emotional farewell moments that felt earned. Though we never actually did see the ship blow up afaik so there's an opening there to find the Protostar somewhere in the alternative future if they do choose to bring her back.

Not sure why they commissioned non-experimental Protostars. The technology seemed a bit flaky/dangerous compared to quantum slipstream. Though I guess quantum slipstream has the requirement for benamite crystals which might limit its usefulness.

Overall a very satisfying series, I hope we don't have too long to wait for season 2.

Does seem bit early to leave the experimental status.

So is there another protostar out there in the alternate timeline or has that been accounted for?

Alternative timelines, but not double protostar?

Interestingly, Chakotay's timeline is explicitly called an "alternate future" in the episode. Considering that the actions of the Diviner and the Vindicator have definitely changed the past, including the destruction of many Starfleet ships, Chakotay may arrive on a totally different Solum, under the assumption that first contact between the Federation and the planet will not happen or will be completely different. https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/treknology/timetravel-pro.htm

• Advertisement

Advertisement