Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Prodigy (animated children's series)

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

"Still on episode 15, can't sneak ahead of the kids viewing schedule. They adore this, still need a Murph plushy!"

Well it only gets better from there. It's amazing how much they can fit in to such short episodes.

"Apparently needs to do absolute bank to generate a season 3."

I really hope it gets that and more.

It's set up for it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,309 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It was a really good season overall and established its timeframe at the end.

So is it a running joke that Morn's species does all their talking off camera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Just finished Season 2 and felt quite happy and entertained by it all. I would happily watch any future incarnation of this, so hopefully Netflix get a good reaction to it.

[Edit to add] And as has been established in another thread, I'm an old fella, who came up on TOS when it first syndicated in Ireland. So even though this is aimed at children, I was more entertained by it than the series that shall not be named!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Finished S2. Thought it was very well done. Got to remember it's aimed at a younger audience but still has very real Trek vibes. Loved how they matched up the timeline of where it fits in the Trek universe.

Great seeing some VOY characters back and they did a great job with them. Not just characters return for the sake of it.

It's nicely concluded at the end of S2, but also nicely primed to get a S3. Which it totally deserves. They did a fantastic job with this show.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If you got a Netflix sub just for this and are looking for something else to watch with a similar vibe until the month ends. I recommend Lost In Space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

God damn it, still no fecking Murph plush toy. My kids are pissed that there is no merch

Loved the little nod to the below, towards the end

Department of Temporal Investigations

Post edited by Norrie Rugger Head on

They're eating the DOGS!!!

Donald Trump 2024

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just finished S2 there. For a "kids show" it's the most consistent and faithful continuation of the franchise since Voyager and Enterprise. As fun as Lower Decks is, this was just a level above.

My only disappointment is that they persisted with the nonsense Nu-Trek/Picard S1 events of the destruction of Romulus and the "Synth" uprising (they could have just as easily erased all that with all the time travel shenanigans)

Despite this it absolutely deserves a S3, but if not they did a brilliant job wrapping everything up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm five episodes into Season 2, and, I'm not exactly loving it. Once Season 1 hit its stride I really enjoyed it, but Season 2 just feels so flat so far, can't quite put my finger on it.

Post edited by Inviere on

• Advertisement

I liked how the timelines add up to fit with NuTrek, even with it's problems. Also they did a better job explaining the effect of 'that incident' which was the main feature of Picard S1.

I'd nearly call it Voyager, season 8 lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Same. Maybe season 2 gets a lot better (sounds like it based on the reviews) but so far it's way more obvious it's a kids show than it was in season 1. Everything is just a bit sillier without the depth that elevated season 1 above being just a kids show. But I guess I am only 5 episodes in so still time for it to hit its stride.

Ms

It's gets better. Give it time. Do yourself a favour and skip the episode where they have to absale the ship. It's rubbish but all the rest are good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Just finished episode 11 and it does seem to be picking up quite a good bit. Really enjoyed the last few.

Okay finished the whole thing and it is bloody excellent. The last episode was written in a "let's wrap everything up here in case we're cancelled but leave the option for a third season if needs be" and the difference between that and Discovery's closing episode is like night and day. I cringed and face palmed the whole way through Discovery's finale while I was honestly tearing up during Prodigy's.

Good character driven story (though I will be glad to see the back of some of the timey wimey stuff), mix of genuine funny and emotional moments, some nice closure to loose threads from previous Trek series. It'll be great if we get a third season but if we don't, I'm very happy with the two seasons we did get.

It took a kids cartoon to finally do Wesley Crusher right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Same here now, it's picking up steam and finding its feet (again.) A big help was getting off of Voyager, jesus I thought an animated show would allow some environmental creativity and set design, but nope, as bland as the inside of a cargo container in all rooms, and the godawful steel/ice blue colour tones used for the interior and the lighting....bad enough for an adult watching, what were they thinking for this on Nickelodeon!

Another slight negative is sadly Picardo's voice acting. Obviously brilliant as the Doc on Voyager (and other shows like SG1 etc), but there's something very 'theatrical' about his voice work as the Doc. Beltran on the other hand I thought was excellent bringing Chakotay back, and Wheaton was similarly engaging as Crusher.

Things picking up steam now, hopefully a fun ride to the end lies ahead

Thing is, and I thought the same when he cameod in Picard. Will should have shaved the beard. It'd grow back, it's just a look we associate with Will Wheaton while a clean shaven face is more clearly distinguishable as Wesley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

Liked this very much, though the only thing that set my teeth on edge was the Wesley aspect and and the final act plot points tying it into the dumpster fire that is the Picard canon. I'll fully admit, I am nor have ever been a fan of Wesley and less so of Wil Wheaton, who I often unkindly refer to as Schill Wheaton. I just didn't like the role of his character it felt like some quasi Dr Who insert. His hyperbolic overacting "voice acting" was very tiresome and gelled nothing with what his character was or should have been. He just sounded like a caffeinated, hyper Wil Wheaton, not particularly Wesley-like. Some of the worst Trek writers excesses usually revolve around shoehorning in minor references or inconsequential plot points etc from a once off mention and expanding upon them to umpteenth levels. In this case the "Travellers" something that received, what, maybe 2 episodes worth of content from TNG, if even was this excess. It felt a bit to "Magic-y" at times. I'd have preferred it to be something else.

I'd echo the criticisms of Robert Picardo's voice acting, there definitely seemed to be something off in the delivery, cadence or what have you, it seemed a bit stilted at times. Which was unusual coming off the strength of his normal on-screen acting. Moreover the biggest surprise and a nice one at that was Robert Beltran's Chakotay. It felt like he got a descents characters worth of material to work with and his voice acting was particularly good! God knows, Chakotay in any non-Chakotay specific VOY episode is pretty much a big load of nothing. For the most part I enjoyed all the Solum, Valnikot plots and nice references or inclusions of Jellico, Binars etc etc. I wouldn't be opposed to a season 3, more so as well because they'll have the freedom storywise to be unencumbered by the nonsense Romulan/Synth Picard shite.

I love Kate's choice of clean word in this interview.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGe7pwHf7/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Definitely picked up some west coast accent while living in Ireland

They're eating the DOGS!!!

Donald Trump 2024

• Advertisement
Advertisement