Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Chocolates, Sweets and Food

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I can't remember who was asking about mince pies recently - Supervalu (now that they had to recall their own) are stocking Walker's Mince Pies, 2 packs of 6 for €3. Great ingredients, proper shortbread pastry, not a trace of palm oil. The filling is lovely but not breath-takingly so (could do with more spices), but the pastry itself is the best I've ever eaten in a factory-made mince pie.

https://www.walkersshortbread.com/product/luxury-mince-pies-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I find if you go in the last hour of buisiness it's fine because they are stocking the shop for the next morning. But remember off licence part of the supermarket closes at ten!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Went to M&S yesterday in Omni very bare dessert aisle just wanted something for yesterday after dinner that was around 1 pm thought I might be lucky with dates and manage to get something for Christmas Day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Thanks for the heads up guys on early shopping times we’ve the big shop in but we will need veg and a few bits Friday might get the OH to pop to local Dunnes on the way to his office he will be only in for a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Their dates are rubbish at this time of year. I've gone in on the 22nd and most of the veg dishes and desserts are dated the 24th. Need to get a few bits myself but it will be a 9am visit just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I always do the weekly shop on a Thurs morning, so I'll just try to be up there a bit earlier on the Thurs this week. Always best to be out before they start selling alcohol, as I discovered the hard way last year!

Berries, croissants and SuperValu sausages will be purchased locally on Fri/Sat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

Dropping the kids off to school as early as possible in the morning and heading to do the big shop. Should be there before the other school run parents so hoping to be in and out before it gets too busy.

Will try M&S in Omni early on Friday morning for a few nice foodie treats. And then will bake the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We chatted at lunch and I'm going to do the booze tomorrow night and OH going to do food early Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Feels so weird not having to do the food and booze big shops this year. Feels totally wrong and has me feeling anxious.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If it makes you feel better I can call around to yours with a trolly, wallop you in the ankles with it all the time while whispering you forgot something but I’m not telling you what it is until you’re in the car on the way home.

Dont get me worng i wont miss that particular chore, it just feels weird to not be planning it. Plenty of other tasks to fill the void however!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've had to postpone mine until tomorrow evening. Aaargh. Want it done now at this stage!

(DvB?) 😂

As much as I'd love to, I'll give it a swerve 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Many Dunnes are opening at 7am tomorrow if that helps

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

In work until 5.30, so I'm stuck with the delightful evening slot. I'll leave it late enough, but then fear I'll have a shop full of bare shelves. 😂 Ah, I'm not too worried really, it's not like the shops will never open again. 14 sliced pans and 8 boxes of tea should see me through until Stephenss'ss Day anyway. 😁

I use to laugh at the people buying booze on the Thursday before Good Friday as if the pubs were closed for a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

The Christmas shop is not about fear of the shops being closed for a few days .....it's about getting it all in so you've nothing to do and you can spend more time relaxing with family ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Finished work so going to spend the day shopping till I drop. It'll actually be the most organized I'll ever be for Christmas if I get it all done.

There's something about the rush or thrill I get having to get it all done in the last couple days.

• Advertisement

Fair play, that approach would freak me out!

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

I always work better under pressure but get super stressed with it.

This year I'm far more organized than ever before and loving every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am all but housebound and literally not been off the small island where I live for years. All done by remote control and the great practical kindness of our ferryman and the Supervalu manager! I keep telling them they are growing wings...

Later today the last of my Christmas supplies will arrive at my gate. I emeiled the list in and refined a couple of points. And I have been sticking with nonperishables already. FAR too many mince pies! Got carried away... Oh and tubs of Roses and Celebrations when they were on offer. The Supervalu shopping web site is excellent.

Used to live in community and in charge of the catering so I love it all.

My real bugbear just now is.. wait for it... that most of my cutlery has vanished! Yep. I know I washed it all and arrenged it in a proper compartmented blue tray. But where that is now! Old age is not for cissies.. I have one of each item... lol.... That is all I need...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Shopping done in Dunnes Stores this morning around 10. Had to wait for a trolley but no delays at the checkout and plenty of stock. Butcher and greengrocer were busy but, again, no delay. There's a great atmosphere about. Tomorrow will be manic I imagine.

OH was in Dunnes this morning and it was busy but manageable.

She said you can tell the every week shoppers v the casuals and they don’t know where things are and wander around looking lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fluffypatcat

Has anyone tried the Supervalu signature yule log??

It's look lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Supervalu here stock Mr Kipling Mince Pies. It must be up to the individual manager? I had not seen re palm oil recently. Oh just checked and Mr K have palm oil and rapeseed. I had forgotten the palm oil problems.

The Mr K are very good.. Lovely pastry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I signed up to a Sample Box kit about 2 years ago, you get products to try and have to review them. I had only ever received one box before, until today, and a box arrived with 4 Cadbury Puds. I am one happy piggy! I hadn't had any puds yet this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Being a lover of mince pies I have been enjoying those from a local bakery all week but my wife is currently baking a few batches of mince pies using her own Mince and they beat any bought ones by a mile. Even the smell of them in the house, as the next lot bake, cries "Christmas!!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

M&S opening at 6am tomorrow and Christmas Eve. Assume the other large supermarkets are too.

And there's this...

Advertisement