Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Revivable? Cosmetic damage, steam will knock out any bugs I’d imagine. I won’t be storing mine outside anymore though.

It’s like treating wood with linseed oil I’d reckon. Forms a barrier and stops penetration of molds etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,942 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What size turkey are you feeding the multitude with?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,390 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You see those monster sized hams in the chillers - serve 32+ and wonder who would need one that size. It’s you Dial Hard! 🤓

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could wash it with water with bleach in it to kill the fungi/spores, brush it very well and rinse it very carefully, maybe even steam it once or twice with no food (and the windows cracked) and let it dry, then store it in the hotpress or in a sealed plastic bag with some dry rice in it or those ubiquitous silica sachets to absorb moisture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Froze some home made chicken stock a few weeks back and upon defrosting it is like jelly. If I put it straight into a soup Im making will it disolve or should it be heated first so it turns from jelly back to liquid?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If the soup is hot it will dissolve. Bring everything back to the boil, after you add it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

That's normal and just what you want. It's the gelatin from the chicken bones. It will melt as you're cooking your soup.

I make turkey stock every year and use it for the gravy the next Christmas. After it boils down it goes very jelly-like. I cut it into chunks and freeze it.

Life ain't always empty.

Lads I cooked a ham in the slow cooker up to 75 c internal temp and then it got a blast in the oven too.

But. It's "juicy" (barf). I guess I'm used to it being overcooked; more stringy and "pullable".

I know on a rational level it must be safe to eat, but its moistness makes me feel it's raw. :(

Anyone else like this? Pork being well done has been drilled into me since birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You could probably safely eat ham uncooked. Personally, I like my pork chops a tiny bit pink (free range, well sourced) but my parents would have absolutely freaked out at that!

Yes, it's cultural.

You should have put this in the exciting, controversial ham thread!

That ham thread has lost the plot entirely. I went in and issued a warning for that particularly nasty post when I finally saw it!

What you say is reassuring. I know I will struggle to eat this ham. I think adding it to other dishes where it gets cooked (or should I say reheated?!) again and psychologically I should be ok with it!

Ah, really, it's only one poster. Otherwise it's a lively discussion.

Didn't see the warning, myself and the post remains.

• Administrators Posts: 53,373 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I like my ham moist, but not juicy. It's just a texture thing really.

Reminds me of my Dad the first time I roasted a chicken after I moved home. He was carving it and went "Dial Hard, is this cooked??? It still looks very wet..."

I was like "The word you're looking for is juicy, Dad". The man was so used to my mother's sawdust chicken that he genuinely thought one with any moisture left in it whatsoever was undercooked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I roasted a chicken for my mother when she visited a few weeks ago. I cook to an internal temperature, so when it was done, it was done, and I pulled it out. She hovered around poking it and was like "It can't possibly be done, it hasn't been in long enough". I started to second guess myself, because the woman has been cooking for 50 years, so I said "OK, well how do you know when your chicken is done?" and she just shrugged and was like "I don't, I just keep it in for a good few hours and hope for the best". Now, I wouldn't say her chicken is sawdust but it does explain why it's on the drier side. Moral of the story, the older generation got some things right in their cooking but they're far from infallible.

On meats and textures... I struggle with saddle of rabbit because if anyone's ever cooked it, it has a texture and appearance even when cooked that looks sort of raw... It's very smooth textured, a bit like a chicken thigh. Even when you know it's cooked, something about it is offputting.

Hrm, new Boards strikes again. I issued a warning to the poster on the offending post. The warning has been received because I got a pm about it. I can see that the post has a warning tag but I guess others can't.

Yes, for some reason, "juicy" ham just seems a bit wrong.

I'd still eat it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I prefer the word " succulent".... "Juicy" for me is more for fruit... and dry is.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I want to get cornstarch for velveting/marinading chicken, and for thickening sauces.

I can only find corn flour. Is it the same thing for my needs?

TIA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Great, thanks! I think it might be because in the US they call it cornstarch. A bit confusing.

Corn flour (coarse) is sold as polenta. Corn starch/corn flour isn't coarse at all and when you squeeze the bag it kind of squeaks under your fingers.

To be fair to the US, corn starch is a better descriptor as it isn't really flour at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Has anyone else found since they removed the use by / best before dates off potatoes, they are very poor quality / freshness?

Often the ones instore look well gone, and even if you get a decent looking bag, in a day or two they can turn. Potatoes are one of those things i tend to buy to get a few days from the bag.

Didn’t realise they ever had dates on potatoes. Just peeled a bag here, bought today. No problem.

Never had that problem, we got a 4kg bag of Maris Pipers in Dunnes recently and after 2 weeks they were perfect

We always cut the top of the plastic bag open when we get home.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I can't say whether it's better or worse now compared to the past but I feel like quite a lot of Aldi and Lidl fruit and veg is that bit closer to being past its best, when compared to the likes of Supervalu.

As far as potatoes go, if it's actually rotten I'll chuck it, but generally no matter how battered, dishevelled or covered in eyes it is I'll just peel down past all that stuff and use it.

Advertisement