Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

i have a multipro 1000w one, its probably a decade old at this point, i love it, a few quid to buy, great for buckets of coleslaw, takes seconds. The jug is ok for smoothies and soup, but only holds 1.6 litre, (little bit more) a good stick blender is much more convenient if batch cooking soup. The spice mill is good for spice mixes. I also make cakes with my nieces, it's not as good as dedicated equipment but it creams the butter and mixes ok, plus the scales are really convenient. Convenient for chutneys, pickles, cutting up peel for christmas puddings.

And Falafel Recipe | RecipeTin Eats - can stick in the deep fat fryer from frozen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

This is the one I have, I never use it, that's not true - it was used once this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

That one looks similar, looks updated and has that extra express bit on top. Same wattage though so I assume at least as powerful given it's newer. Mines this one....

There's a 4mm Slicing / Grating Disc (picture on that page), the grating one works for the carrots, then you reverse the disc and it just slices which makes nice size shredded cabbage.

For the falafal recipe you're looking at 50-60ml a falafel and makes 20 so you need 1-1.2 litre capacity. Which means 1.5-2 litre bowl. I'm sure those smaller choppers or stick blender attachments are just as good for smaller amounts.

It's whether you can justify an extra gadget. I mainly use it for falafel, coleslaw and cutting up chutneys, pickles and marmalades. And lots of smoothies. It doesn't get used for loads of tasks but it saves loads of time on batch stuff.

(And above I meant cutting orange peel for marmalade. I was typing that while I was making Christmas puddings and got confused)

Thanks @eeepaulo. I think it's the grating for coleslaw that I need. The manual grater isn't the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Our chickens are molting at the moment so I’ve had to buy eggs. Made scrambled eggs this morning and the colour/lack of colour was shocking. So pale and insipid. Did they used to give hens a supplement to make their eggs yellow?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Corn.

It also depends on the breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mine were always grass fed and lovely golden yolks..(and bruised barley) When the pullets arrived any immediate eggs were dreadfully pale, from indoor living.. as soon as they went free range the yolks brightened,...

The threat and reality of avian flu so near Christmas.. Getting a frozen crown this week from my supermarket . Admitting to a turkey and ham ready meal already in the freezer... Disaster for so many farmers if it spreads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm not a farmer and I have no expertise on any of it, but it would seem to me that what the UK are allowing might be the most sensible all round if it really started spreading here.

Slaughter the turkeys now before they get infected, freeze and then sell for Christmas marked as what they are.

Of course it won't taste quite the same, but I assume it would help protect the remaining stock from avian flu, and the farmers get to sell their turkeys and be paid. Otherwise so many turkeys would have to be culled, there's a turkey shortage and there's a headache in reimbursing the farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I would have thought a lot of freezer space at a premium already for so much other frozen festive stuff. However, that aside yes i think it seems sensible if possible..

I usually host a pre-Christmas Christmas dinner and have to use frozen. No difference to fresh. Like most things, it’s what you do with it…..

We don't do turkey on Christmas day, haven't done for about 8 years... Always beef wellington.

I'd sooner have a really really good chicken than a turkey actually.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

The turkeys aren't fully grown yet.

I was thinking along those lines.. BUT Avian Flu is here and maybe cases incubating? I dunno. How can they be sure even now that it is safe?

Intensive farming has its consequences.

I don't think this merits a thread of its own, and I didn't wanted to revive an older thread about eggs, but I just wanted to mention Daniel Patterson's recipe for "poached scrambled eggs".

Poached Scrambled Eggs Recipe - NYT Cooking (nytimes.com)

This is a recipe that is considered to be a bit of a modern classic and it's been included in a few compendium cookbooks, but I just can't bring myself to try it. I think there's something about the idea of the scrambled eggs being so water-sodden, that you might want to press them with tissue paper, that puts me off. I imagine the eggs 'floating in ribbons' on the surface of the water to look a bit like the egg dregs you normally have to clean out of your sink plug holder.

My fresh supplies come in every two weeks if the ferry is running. ( I am all but housebound and live offshore)

I have just demolished a fresh white bap/.burger bun with good Irish butter and roast chicken breast and it was utterly delicious and satisfying in every way.

There is now also have a large chicken in the freezer and a lovely turkey and ham ready meal ( Supervalu are the shop who deliver out here and the meals are grand for my simple tastes.. So come what may I WILL feast at Christmas in my own simple traditional way in old age...

PS after 3 am and I was up "calling home" and.. I am hungry, so a repeat of the white burger bun, butter and roast chicken breast will go down very nicely! The wind is howling so yes an early breaking of night fast... food is such a comfort...off to the kitchen...... mmmmm!

Post edited by Graces7 on

Agree totally and just need to prioritise.

I had to rearrange yesterday to accommodate the foods I would hate to be without at Christmas .No great hardship. .. I LOVE Christmas food! Being without would be harder .

That is part of my way of life living offshore with eg no ferries if the weather cuts up rough. A concerned friend asked me that on the phone earlier and was ressured when I reeled off my stocks. And yes I learned that the hard way decades ago when I left urban life behind. BE PREPARED! If the situation re turkeys and then hens cuts up rough or we get an exceptionally hard winter etc? If it doesn't nothing lost.

And I could easily now support anyone not so well- equipped.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You would be surprised just how much "fresh" meat sold in shops has actually been frozen and defrosted already; so won't taste the same may not be the case at all. Blast freezers rather than domestic so there would be a slight difference in ice crystal formation/cell damage but not much

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was pretty there was an EU regulation that required this to be made clear to the consumers, e.g. by printing it on the label or by writing it on the signs in the displays.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They just don't actually use the word 'fresh' on the packaging. "Chilled" or no description at all.

What I meant was that they're supposed to declare if it was previously frozen, thawed, etc. As for "chilled", I would hope so, if it's something for which the cold chain is required.

I think it's only that "Fresh" is protected. Other than that, it just needs a valid BBE and so on

So, I'm going to try to make homemade beef burgers...

This recipe calls for egg, which I thought was weird, but is probably to help the minced meat to bind. Still, lots of reviews say that the burgers fell apart. Maybe because it also included raw onion (which I like).

Should I keep it simple and just use salt and pepper and omit the egg and onion? Is binding such a big issue? (Can't believe I'm nearly half a century old and have never made a beef burger from scratch!)

TIA

Just use 18% mince from Aldi, nothing else. I use a burger press and can get between 8 and 10 patties per 800g (900g?) pack. Chill for at least an hour before cooking. Grill streaky bacon on low heat to get crispy then set aside.

Season patties very well, place under a hot grill at the top for 6/8 minutes each side depending on thickness. A slice of plastic cheese on each pattie at the end under the grill for a minute.

Burger bun, lettuce then tomato, a Pattie or two, onion, burger sauce, bacon, bun top. Enjoy 😋

I've already ordered Rosscarbery premium steak mince... oh. And I was thinking of doing them on a griddle pan. So, I should need no binder like egg or breadcrumbs? I think these things might take away from the taste of the meat. I want to use just S&P, or maybe a little onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I wouldn't be putting egg, breadcrumbs or onions anywhere near a burger mix, personally.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,374 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the key thing is to let them rest in the fridge for a bit after you make the burger shape.

If you make a burger then put it straight into the pan it's going to fall apart.

Advertisement