Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I got it before in Dunnes in Clondalkin, not sure if it is there still, Drummond House is the Brand, so maybe you could contact them to get their stockists.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could also try one of the ethnic shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Perhaps M&S for tarragon?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Amazon is your friend for taragon

As I cannot shop in person I use mail order a lot,and can get almost everything by return of post..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

This is a good shout. I find my local polish shop is great for fresh herbs, big bunches.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Potato / Parmesan Croquettes prep for Christmas,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Fabulous

On the one hand, I don't think Irish restaurants have it easy and I don't think many are making a fortune but on the other hand I don't understand why I can get a beautifully cooked, really tasty entrocote (ribeye), absolutely cracking chips, small green salad and bernaise for €17 in Paris!

1 plate of spiced octopus starter.

2 entrocotes

2 bisque risotto with squid

1 coffee

1 bottle of method traditionale sparkling wine.

1 50c carafe of Alsace red.

1 glass of white wine

4 Cognacs

€160😁

The most I've enjoyed a meal out in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You can get even cheaper food than that in Paris, ate in this place during the summer. The menu is from the 1980s as are the prices and the dining room dates back to the 1890's, all staffed by old French waiters in dickie bows. Its quite the bizarre experience

• Advertisement

That's actually a lovely menu. I would like to try the radishes in butter.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

My favourite Paris bistro - Café Constant - has closed. So sad!

Paris has always been a place where you could get ridiculously over priced food and great value and the price is often not indicative of quality.

Prices certainly have increased, generally - formula lunch menus are typically around €16/€17 now as opposed to around €12 a few years ago - but there is still great value if you search around.

That meal the other night was fantastic. Place was really casual, friendly and lively. Everyone crammed in eating and drinking - a great mix of bar and restaurant with a great, small, changing menu.

But, in Ireland, I suspect their tiny kitchen would be declared not fit for purpose 😕. I suspect that over zealous Environmental Health Office rules and implementation play a large part in the prices we pay.

I still struggle, though, to accept that one can get cheaper food in Paris or Singapore than in Mullingar!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Does France have a minimum wage? Also, I'd say France doesn't have to import as many of the ingredients as we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think the high prices we pay to eat out here ultimately comes down to the very high commercial rents in Ireland. Recently I was moaning about having paid 8.95 for a spice bag in the local Chinese takeaway which is pretty pricey for a bag of chips, a few bits of chicken and some spices. I just wanted to try it out and while it was decent it wasnt worth almost 9 euro.

But then by coincidence the building it is in came up for sale last week with the tenants in situ. I had a look at the lease and the Chinese takeaway is 60sqm total (so about the size of a very small Irish 2 bed apartment) and the rent is 52,000 a year, thats on 20 year lease signed in 2005 so a Celtic Tiger era valuation. I was pretty shocked because when Monday comes every week they have to sell at least 2,000 euro worth of food just to pay that weekly rent bill of 1,000. Add in massive energy costs and labour etc and thats how you end up with a 8.95 spice bag, they have no choice. I reckon during the recession they were probably working 70% of the week just to pay the rent. The unit next door to it is a tiny laundrette of 20sqm and the rent on that is 500 a week. After 12 years in business she just announced she is closing down due to the price of electricity, the business is no longer viable. It probably would be if the landlord would reduce the rent which must be like a rock hanging from her neck. And this is all in a small provincal town, commercial rents for restaurants in Dublin are even higher again.

When you hear things like units on Grafton Street achieving similar rents to Fifth Avenue in New York you know something is seriously wrong and ultimately it is us the customer who pays the price of that. We are very quick to blame the restaurants but it is often them who are struggling with the commercial landlords being the ones who are really coining it.

Points very well made. I'd hate to be in the business in Ireland. At the start of this discussion I did declare that I didn't feel Irish restaurants had it easy and few are making loadsa money.

I do think that regulation had quite a bit to do with it, too.

The other thing I like about France is that service is explicitly included and tips aren't really expected. It's very much optional.

At the place I'm so enamoured with, when splitting the bill, I first paid €85 and my pal intended her to take €85 also but she only took for the balance of the bill. Instead we left €10 cash but she tried to waive it as unnecessary and excessive.

Did you have any lucky sourcing the fresh tarragon? This guy uses chervil as well as the tarragon, which I'd imagine is even harder to find. And no capers.

I'm thinking of growing fresh herbs at home (on the balcony or inside on the window sill?). The quality and variety of fresh herbs in the supermarkets are so poor.

Ha, ha, it's not all brilliant in Paris.

Had a really awful dining experience last night. Terrible food and terrible staff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My Ballymakenny spuds arrived today so tomorrow will be spent in the kitchen preparing the Christmas roasters. We have 21 people for dinner on Christmas Day and 14 on Stephenseseses, so the arms are going to be hanging off me by the time I even get them peeled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Do you find any drop in quality/taste when you freeze them in advance? Also, do you put the fat on before freezing, or after?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Recliner

I may have gone to the dark side. Made a cheezy dip with plastic cheese and milk. Tastes the very same as the melted cheese dip from Rockin' Joes/Eddie Rockets. Had it with gazillions of nacho chips.

Feel as sick as a piglet, but I'd do it all over again.

Do we have a dedicated general cookware thread?

Well, I just bought this casserole dish on a whim (so I did; it's Christmas), as my existing, very old, casserole dish is oven only, but this cooks on the hob, and can be placed in the oven too. I'm not going to splash out on a Le Creuset just yet, so hoping this will do the job for casseroles!

I'm not familiar with the MasterClass brand, but they seem to get good reviews, and the markdown from Amazon Prime seemed decent. €47 including shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

I have the three sizes of these, bought about 5 years ago. used weekly and holding up well. love them, light and easy to clean. enjoy it 🙂

• Administrators Posts: 53,375 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Funnily enough just bought another Le Creuset this week, the 30cm shallow casserole. We have 3 of them now, they are incredibly versatile and handy.

Sorry, only seeing this now. No drop in quality at all and they're far, far superior to shop-bought frozen roasters.

Quote function is all over the shop for me these days so couldn't finish that post.

A small bit of oil/fat at this point just to help the seasoning adhere, but most of it will be done on the day. Heat it in a roasting tin as you always would and fire the potatoes straight in from the freezer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

YT, Eddy Tseng. Good sushi instructional videos, however……..

Bought a good bamboo steamer recently and just came across one of his videos advising to “wash” the steamer in boiling water first to rid it of chemicals used in processing/making it. Then, when completely dry, brush a regular cooking oil over it.

Done and done.

Store it in the shed, even though the shed is dry, my last steamer collected some mold on it. My new one, a few months old, untreated, had spots of mold on it already but just wiped off.

Seasoning a bamboo steamer……who would’ve thought 😀😀😀, not me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We had one for years, never did any of the above and it was fine. Then the last time we used it, a week later it was covered in Mold. Are they revivable? I chucked it.

Advertisement