Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EasyGo public chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

The one at Finglas Gym / Community Centre is. And can load share CCS and CHAdeMO too although it's an uneven split at 50 kW : 25kW as far as I know.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Feels like we're going to get a per county announcement of Eir/EasyGo deployments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

They seem to be following a policy of not owning sites and not paying rent or entering in profit split with businesses.

They seem to want county council's to offer free parking/charging spaces in prime areas probably free of charge, and the uptake and support seems to vary by county. It's a strange business model to me, I would have thought key national routes would be the way to go to make profit, even if they are prevented from traditional motorway or services larger sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Maybe their thinking is that a 75kW unit in the centre of a town or in a supermarket car park where people spend 20-40 minutes at at time will be more viable than a motorway services location where people tend to spend as little time as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

+ needing a wide revenue stream asap to leverage more investment, rather than sinking cash into less sites or a hub with a long lead time for grid connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The thing that's obvious from the general Easygo approach to getting chargers out....

Is that they seem to be looking at places not actually on the main motorway as an actual opportunity....

A gap in the market that others may not cover...

You won't see Ionity coming into Mallow or Charleville and we have a situation where on the main Cork to Limerick road - Easygo are the only operator of DC chargers on the route.

Also if you need to do shopping and also charge the car then you aren't going to go the motorway to Ionity when you can charge with easygo at the shopping place (ie Lidl).

BTW I'm sceptical of how well Easygo will do the job ultimately but I can see (i think) the gap in the market they are going for....

I was charging to 100% at an easygo DC charger today and this popped up from the app on my phone. Handy update. I had selected the stop at 100% as the default is stop at 80% on most of the easygo 50kW chargers. I was gone long before the one hour overstay applied I assume it might give an app warning like esb do.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

EasyGo continues to march onwards with their 200 Fast charger roll out…

Having launched this programme in Carlow in May 2022, EasyGo have contracts to add Tritium chargers at 70 locations in counties Offaly, Mayo, Cavan, Waterford, Kilkenny, Tipperary & Monaghan in the next phase of this project. These will be rolled out over the next six months. EasyGo are actively engaged with other local authorities to identify 130 additional locations across Ireland for new fast DC Tritium chargers, and this program will be delivered at zero cost to county councils.

Good news.

If nothing else its going to show people that charger infrastructure can be rolled out successfully and more people will see EV chargers in their area or on their travels around the country

Visibility will be huge, and these EasyGo units certainly stand out, so when they start popping up in fairly remote rural areas.... and then when they are seen being used in said areas.... it will be a huge endorsement for EV's in those areas (despite the fact that locals to that area would never have to use them unless they couldn't get a home charger)!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Good to see. I wondered why they installed those new telephone boxes recently. I live near terenure and there is no ev charger in the village, but we have a state of the art digital phonebox. Couldn't understand why they put a phonebox in when everyone has a mobile phone nowadays but there is no local charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They are advertising boards, under the guise of phone boxes

Not sure if this has been reported before but looks like DCC is doing 17 rapid charging hubs with Easygo.

The problem is that if the Finglas existing location is anything to go by then their definition of a hub is different to what a hub should be.

However it's an additional 17 places to publicly charge an EV.

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2022/11/09/council-briefs-a-confusing-update-on-housing-at-o-devaney-gardens-and-the-latest-on-electric-vehicle-charging-hubs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd be more concerned at the following statement

Bergin had previously thought the city would need around 50 rapid charging hubs, but because the chargers have got faster, the number necessary has reduced, he said.

“The technology has changed significantly since February,” said Bergin, which was the last time he was in front of the council. At that time, the charging rate was up to 350kW and now it’s 1,000kW, he said.

It is a balancing act deciding where to put them. “You don’t want people to have to travel too far, because you’re building up more traffic congestion,” he said.

I'd much rather see 50 150kW chargers than 8 1000kW chargers.

The man hasn't a clue.

Easygo were never going to put in 350 kW chargers.

I suspect the real issue is that he hasn't been able to line up the 50 locations he apparently wanted or thought were needed.

So bluffing about 1000 kW to cllrs who also haven't a clue.

Pity our public servants and politicians can't learn from the Netherlands or Norway.

I'd settle for them going to Dundee, at least then they don't need to expense a translator

Easygo offered chargers at no cost to council in other areas. I wonder if this is another no cost deal, as in the council contributing nothing but parking space. If so the roll out could take a long time. Pricing may end up being very high, and no incentive to provide loads of chargers to avoid queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭wassie

Couple of techs out today at the free Circle K branded 50kW unit at the Athlone M6 services. Its been out of action for the most part since before the start of last summer.

Curious to see if it's been repaired, upgraded to a paid service or rebranded completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

A bit creepy taking pictures of people working without them knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not really, they are in a public space.

Taking stealth photos of an office block, creepy. Taking photos of someone repairing a charger in a public area, not creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The fact there is easygo car there suggests rebranding to paid easygo, it has a deplorable uptime record

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Just because it's in a public place doesn't make it less creepy to take pictures of people without their knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, they often do repairs to those crappy tritiums for non easygo branded units

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Popped in to have a look on the way home this morning, marked out of order

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Both charges are down according to facebook. Easygo repairs other brands chargers.

Given its free I suspect Circle K were never motivated to get it repaired, especially since how much commercial electricity prices have risen in the last 6 months.

I got a lot of juice out of that unit during the lockdowns.

You’d think they’d fix it when they turn on the other units they have or are installing…. And they start charging for charging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

No announcements but 0.7/kWh. Lidl seems to be 0.45/kWh.

Advertisement