Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11/N25 - Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour [route options published]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Thanks I guess that makes sense.

And I guess it is impossible to have any idea if they ultimately would cut the new road in lower and put the new flyover at same level of existing road i.e something like this:

That seems like it would be very difficult to do whilst maintaining decent traffic flow on existing N25 - a lot of trucks coming off Rosslare etc. But I have idea about road building!!

The reason I ask is I am trying to judge the likely impact on houses in the vicinity. Something like the above the impact would be bearable, not so the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

It’s fairly flat around there, so I’d guess the old route will most likely be brought over the new one for cost reasons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Given the increase in traffic at Rosslare, this is good news.

They should get this project underway with some priority/urgency.

• Advertisement

It has been put (along with the M21 and M28) at #3 in the priority list for funding of new projects (1 is projects under construction and 2 is the M20)

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Councillors seem to be picking up signals that funding to move to the next phase might be in jeopardy when the time comes. Hopefully this is politicking to engineer TII into looking elsewhere for their cost-savings rather than an early signal that the project might stall yet again.

Raised in the Dáil by Verona Murphy at leader's questions - nothing definitive from the Taoiseach in response - which I'm choosing to interpret as a positive sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I know the port access road is a separate project but I came across this video recently which shows part of the access road approaching the port as 2+2. I was surprised that it shows the road in a fairly deep cutting, but then I am not familiar with the geography of the area. This is skipped to when the access road is shown;

From 4:08 it shows passferry passenger access as being from the existing N25 past the town rather than the new port access road.

The surrounding land is flat, but it’s all at 10-20 metres elevation - the port itself is basically at sea level, on a low ledge constucted at the base of this "cliff" . As you exit from the port on the current road, there’s a fairly steep ascent before the road swings left into Rosslare village.

Although the video shows entry by the old main gate, if you look closely, you can see that there is also a direct route from the new approach road into the passenger-car reception, highlighted below:

I imagine the main gate will be used mainly by foot passengers, and local bus services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

From The Wexford People

Wexford TD and Minister of State for Law Reform James Browne T.D. has confirmed that an application for the funding of the Oylegate to Rosslare Harbour Motorway Bypass Extension was made to the EU Commission and a positive announcement is expected imminently.

The Government supported Wexford County Council's application for EU funding from the Connecting Europe Facility to ensure the delivery of the N11/N25 Oylegate to Rosslare Harbour motorway scheme.

“The application relates to funding to complete the design and planning phase and funding is expected in the amount of €2.7 million.

“Extending the M11 motorway from Oylegate to Rosslare is a priority for the Government. I was delighted to get the project restarted following its stopping under the previous Government. This funding will help to speed up the delivery of the motorway extension,” Minister Browne concluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sounds like he is pushing ahead with this, instead of our esteemed Minister for transport who is there nice and comfortably sitting on his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I wonder would they also upgrade the N25 that links Rosslare to New Ross?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

That road is already pretty good, no need for an upgrade that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

No plans for that section at the moment.

N25 Waterford - Glenmore seems to be paused at the moment (no funding) - thats the next N25 section to do.

Rosslare to New Ross does not need touching until N25 Midleton - Youghal, something from the Youghal bridge to Kinsalebeg and the Dungarvan bypass are done.

Rosslare-New Ross is an extremely quiet stretch of road, and was extensively re-built to a high standard in the 1990s: it'll be among the last parts of N25 to be upgraded.

Actually, the only thing that would be justified would be a bypass of Barntown (coming from Waterford, it’s the last village before the N25 joins N11). Nothing has been said about this to date, and it does lie outside the preferred corridor, but a bypass connecting the existing good-quality N25 to the west of Barntown to the new scheme would be less than 2.5 km in length, so I would expect to see it as part of the project once the design is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Honestly I think it would be better to bypass Ballinaboola before Barntown but even that is probably a long way down the line given traffic volumes.

An option to by-pass Barntown (see dotted section from Larkin's Cross below) was considered as part of this scheme. It's a shame it isn't happening

The label on that map is misleading: Barntown is actually right beside where option E crosses the old N25, so bypasssing it wouldn't need anything as big as the dotted-line road to Larkin's Cross shown on that map. I expect it'll be done as a longer-than usual slip road to the N25/N11 interchange

E crosses N25 near Ballindinas (Between "Carrighill" and roundabout on map below). Barntown Village is to the west of that

• Advertisement

We’re talking about very small distances here. The map you posted shows just 3.3km of the N25 west of the roundabout, and that distance will be shorter for the new road: from the new alignment out to Larkin’s cross is going to be a distance of less than 3 km

To get past Barntown would need maybe 1.5 km of new road, and that’s well within the normal range of a link road on a major route upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why is there a queue from the roundabout to Oylgate on a Saturday afternoon?

Could be an issue with the traffic lights in Oylegate

Same today. Appears to be the lights. Who could have foreseen such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I wonder have they changed the sequence of the lights.

I know on the weekend when the road first opened there was chaos because of the lights in Oylgate (I got caught in myself) and I heard subsequently that the sequencing was changed to favour the mainline which seemed to resolve the problem. I've driven the road a number of times since and never had a delay after that first time. It could just be sheer traffic volumes but still seems odd that after a long period of no issues it's suddenly cropped up again.

Something of a tailback even now from the south. Volume seems to be the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I heard today that they’ve started narrowing down the corridor, not sure how true it is, would they have designs already on this. Also that there’s a start point of 5 years. Could be bull now but they are talking to landowners apprantely 🤷🏼‍♂️

Amount of traffic going through Oylgate is crazy.

Good to hear. This is apparently fairly close to the top of the priority list by TII, and it's immune to Eamon Ryan's axe due to it being a strategic port access route.

If it's adequately resourced (I assume it is), they should be in a position to go to ABP in late 2023/early 2024. There isn't a whole pile in the queue for it to compete with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement