Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced "fun" in the workplace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭markpb

Maybe my workplace is the exception. The turnout at the Christmas party is about 70% but if people don’t want to come, I’ve never heard anyone comment on it at all, especially now that most of IT had decamped to distant parts of Ireland and can’t feasibly make it. The people who are there seem to be there because they want to be (or at least enjoy a free meal and drinks).

There are some Kris Kringle things but they’re independently organised by groups of people and not by the company. It’s all very informal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I was once in a job where we had a meeting on Monday to discuss goals and a meeting on Friday to discuss how the goals went for the week.

The problem was you had to pick two work goals and two personal goals. Work goals - grand, no issue. Personal goals ended up being "I will try to eat healthier" , "I will try to go for a walk at least twice this week", "Im going to get a haircut" - it was pathetic. All irrelevant bullshit and in the name of team building/bonding or whatever. It didn't last long for me anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,060 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, it doesn't. It's about not being forced to waste your free time on unpaid company horsesh*t. If you want to go, go but let people who have better things to do with their time stay out of it without the drama.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭bb12

Personally I have zero tolerance for any of that cr^p and always just say NO to all those extra curricular activities. Fortunately I'm really good at my job and valuable to the company, so they leave me alone and never create any drama about my non participation in such events.

Probably isn't the exception. Most places I've worked in are similar. People have a choice in whether they go to the work nights out, or take part in the office wackiness. But as the case I linked to, and one experience I had, show, there are companies where it's frowned upon if you'd just prefer to do your job to the best of your ability, be a pleasant person and team player on the clock, and leave it at that. You work to improve your personal life - the two shouldn't have to be blurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've never heard such bullshyt in all my life.

And I've heard some bullshyt....

Whoever unquestionably imported American office culture, unquestionably, into this Country, wants bloody shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Health insurance by any chance? Night’s out on the company tab ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The workplace competitive drinking sessions are starting to grate. This year I've started excusing myself from them. I'd rather drink with people I choose to drink with and at my own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Ah yes forced fun in the work place. Where your manager tries to be cool and like the rest of the staff. You're all meant to join in and tell them it's a great idea.

First one to put on a Christmas hat at the Christmas party, arrives dressed in jeans and a casual shirt while the rest of the plebs are dressed like he does during the week.

He dance's like an idiot,sings along to the band or whatever the DJ plays. You try to ignore it, but really he's trying to make it look like he's cool.

You should all join in and act like you're not thinking he's a langer, he's so sound after a few drinks. If you were any way naive you'd think he liked you and your reality is turned upside down.

Then there's those fun day's out with IT companies where you're all put into a team to walk around Blarney Castle, Birr Castle or the Botanical gardens to find clues and sort out a puzzle. The gardener's and grounds men are tipping away at their work, while the idiots are going around with pieces of paper looking for clues. Oisine from accounts decides to be the leader. He see's a gardener called Pat and asks him does the word box have any significant meaning.

Pats clipping away at the box hedging, looks at Oisine ,sure you know the rest. They move along and are trying to figure out the meaning of formal, theres Susan deadheading a climbing rose on the wall at the entrance of the formal garden which has a sign saying formal garden....

Then they get really excited when they're nearing the end, and the last clue is, ring's a bell.... Right in front of them there's a bell tower over looking the vegetable garden.

Theres William a guy in his early 60's weather beaten but content and happy in himself tying up tomatoes, Oisine trying to be cool, hello there we're looking for something to do with a Bell. Willy decides to play along and play dumbbell with Oisine, say's you're a dead ringer of my nephew and so on

Then there's the day out surfing in Lahinch or Castlegregory, when they all try to get into a wetsuit, most of them put it on backwards, eventually they get to the water. Then they all learn the basics, out they go for a paddle. Little do they know that the maintenance guy who paints, fixes doors, unblocks drains and toilets etc is an efficient surfer his name is Brian. Anyhow they all try their best to stand up and catch a wave, eventually Sarah the HR manager gets it before the lad's and they all go nuts with excitement , meanwhile Brian is out the back shredding wave's and flying in, he's ignored because he's just the maintenance guy. But they all worship Sarah because she's rather attractive and has an answer for everything. Brian doesn't give a toss, he just works there for the money. Sarah's done it again,out done the boys. On the way back, it's all about Sarah, while Brian was getting shacked, ripping through barrels doing cut backs. He's ripped and has the cut of a viking. Most of the women fancy him, Oisine and crew resent him because he's not one of them.

They all say they love surfing and are going to buy wetsuits and board's, they have no intention.

They all take pictures of each with their surfboards when they get back. Still saying they're all going to take up surfing....

They head for something to eat, most of them are on soy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I worked for an Irish company for about 6 years, which was then taken over by a British multinational crowd at the beginning of 2020. Horrible altogether. They had this in-house system that would, at the start of each month, e-mail you a list of 6 employees from anywhere in the world. You were obliged to contact these staff and then rate them based on your experience. At the next month’s company meeting, the employees who got the best ratings were revealed, as well as naming and shaming those who didn’t do it. I remember on one occasion that I got the company CEO in the UK. He never even bothered to get back to me, but he wasn’t called out of course!

I lasted about 8 or 9 months before jumping ship, It was a busy enough job without wasting my time on social crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Hi Brian, that’s not how I remember it at all. You got caught in a rip and had to be rescued by Sarah. Then you stood on a weaver fish and William and I had to carry you up to spent the rest of the day at the Lifeguard hut with your foot in a basin of hot water.

Oh, and my name is spelt Oisín. I thought we were through this already when you messed up my office door sign. Twice.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,301 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jesus that sounds excruciating.

"Rating people"... Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I remember starting this awful office job, they were trying to get me to play 5 a side with them on day 1. 😟 Good job they didn't push that or I would have played like Joey Barton.

😂 That was hilarious but would they invite Brian on these kind of bonding sessions?

There wasn't any weaver fish because it was February Oisín , and there wasn't any lifeguard on duty that afternoon. As you remember it was lines of whitewater coming in that day unless you could paddle out the back, you took a bodyboard and couldn't duckdive through it, so you just played around in the foam.

As for the office door, I suggested a locksmith because I was just a handyman... but you wouldn't listen to me and the pay was dismal... You get what you pay for. Anyhow that was only a month before your company hit an iceberg and sunk straight to the bottom. The lads still say I wonder how Edward Smith's doing now, that's what they nicknamed you.

You often told me how miserable you felt despite doing everything that society demands. You used to see the surf board on my car as we clocked out. And you'd say, you're very lucky to just shoot the breeze and you should never have settled down, and you always wanted to study horticulture but your parents made you do accountancy.

Reconcile that Oisín..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I see you added me to your enemy list again, Brian. You’re not supposed to use the office intranet for stuff like this.

Love it, lol

You got me there Oshene...

You win again, I'll slink back to the basement 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ Cup

Ah lads, you would hate my job! First, most of us work remotely - that's an important point.

We have morning stand ups for a half an hour four times a week. We spend the first 15 minutes talking socially, partially in a our office's second language, which we are all either proficient in, or are studying, and then we move onto work topics for the second half. Our work is fairly dynamic, and our team is small enough, so we could have new projects landing or updates to projects that concern us on a daily basis.

We have a social 30 minute morning call with our partner on the day that we don't have a stand up, and then we have a team lunch that day for an hour.

We have two other social calls with other teams once a week. One of them is from 5.30pm to 6.30pm, so it does eat into our free time a bit, but also into our working time. We chat and play games remotely on this one. I usually go to this, and we have a bit of craic. The other one I actually don't join because it's mostly made up of people from a different location, and they end up chatting about stuff going on in their office. I just stopped going to those after sitting silently and working in the background while trying to look semi-interested on screen.

Then we have buddies. We all have a randomly assigned buddy, who we chat with at least a week.

The we have the walking and talking call once a week, where we all go out for a walk, go grocery shopping, whatever, for an hour, while chatting. That's across about seven different teams and we get split into groups of four or five. I'd join this one maybe half of the time.

The Christmas party is something that we're very much encouraged to attend. Very few people don't go, unless we have a valid reason. We also have a Christmas team dinner, and we are travelling to, and staying at, our office location for two nights for these. We tell clients that we cannot travel to them on those days, because being on office site is the priority.

We have an annual two days away during summer (Thursday, Friday), where the days are split between presentations and activities. I missed last year's for a valid reason, but it was very valid. Nothing frivolous like cousin Susan coming to visit would be an accepted reason to miss this.

In my last job, we had weekends away twice a year where you really were expected to attend. Skiing in the winter, and bbq beside a lake in the summer. All paid for, and that's great, but I wasn't into a weekend away sharing a room with one of my colleagues.

But, for my current company, most of this stuff is built in purely because we are all working remotely, and I have to say that I see the benefit. The remote working was put into place because of Covid and many of us weren't around in this company pre-Covid when people actually worked in the office and would get to know each other with casual chats during the day or over lunch.

I was talking with one of the guys from another team recently who doesn't have the morning calls, or lunches, and he felt very isolated from his team. There are other ways around this, but I would miss our calls now if we didn't have them. Sure, I don't want to be best friends with all of my colleagues, but it's nice to have a relationship with them, and we all genuinely like each other on my team. We have a very fair working environment, if we have personal appointments, etc., there's no problem with taking them during the day, as we are all adults and we know what work needs to be done and are trusted to do it. If we had to miss a call because of work, that's absolutely fine. If, occasionally, we were working late and wanted to skip the morning call for a sleep instead, that's fine - we'd get caught up on anything important work-wise afterwards. We're strongly encouraged to take lunch and breaks, as the hazard of getting glued to your work when working remotely is widely acknowledged. I'd much prefer this to a clinical environment where we're expected to sit at our desks 9-1 and 2-6, and have no communication outside of work only.

Actually, edit to add, we try not to do overhours, unless really necessary, and where we do we get either x1.5 in money or in time in lieu. x2 if it’s after 10pm, or on weekends or public holidays. Travel time is included in this. We can’t sell our holidays either (as we could in previous jobs), so you really do take them. It’s not the worst place I suppose!

Post edited by Cup on

Obviously Elon Musk didn't give you the shaft then 😜

this video is fitting here I think.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Workplaces are peer pressure central. From working unpaid overtime every day in order to impress/conform to social BS like lotto syndicates and collections because someone got engaged. Draws anytime there is a World Cup - fiver into the pot and you get Costa Rica while some arsehole who earns more than you gets Brazil.

In many ways, work is like an extension of secondary school. Control, bullying, peer pressure, popularity contests, peacocking. Dossers and spoofers get plaudits for how high profile they are - like in school where the teacher who covers half the LC curriculum because they are training a sports team or organising a musical has everyone licking their arse, Meanwhile all their class are having to pay for grinds to pass the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I work in a very large MNC and can empathise with the theme in this thread. There is free choice with a lot of the team building events though, even if it doesn't seem like it. Our company has cut them all out now, Xmas party included as inflation has put pressure on company budgets. Just shows that when the rubber hits the road, large corporations put little value in these sort of events.

I tend to only participate if I really want to. Beer and pizza with close colleagues who I work daily with, I'm there if I've nothing else on. I do the team building if it's an activity I like, if not I make an excuse. Went on a mountain hike this summer with a large team, it's something I wanted to do. Avoided a boat trip team building event, I had zero interest. Same with the work sports day, I'm very sporty but had zero interest. Had a GAA match the following day and used risk of injury as my excuse. Nobody gave a toss anyway. I take it or leave it when it comes to these things.

I purposely avoid the political events at work, Women in STEM, Day of the Woman, People of Colour Day, Women's Network, LGBT Pride etc. Each of the above has committees in our workplace and some even have specific job roles that are advertised. Can't understand that. I'm pro-LGBT rights, pro-choice, pro-immigration and in general very Liberal leaning when it comes to politics. But what these things are doing in a workplace is kind of hard for me to understand. So I chose to participate in none of them. Given my employer heavily discourages Union membership I find it weird that it promotes these other political movements. I'm sure if I tried to setup a workplace Fianna Fail cumman or a SF supporters group I'd be swifly in front of HR. I've steered well clear of workplace politics and will continue to due so. The new thing is 'Speed Networking'. Dial into a Teams call where you're setup with a random person and you talk company stuff. Nah! Not having that

Oh I would actually love that..used to play switch every day in an old job and it was so much fun. I really would love that.

Another place I worked in did things like pizza days and they had massage chairs in the lunch room that funnily enough noone ever used and it was for that reason.. because it was forced fun. The thing that made me uncomfortable was the weird boss use to have these 'get to know you' meetings every month and they'd order cakes and **** and he would sit there picking up little bits of the scone or whatever it was with his finger eyeballing you.

I remember once walking down the corridor and he was in front of us and he randomly stopped and turned around awkwardly and said 'hello' but it was just weird and so misplaced.

I also remember we had these monthly group meetings and at one of them he just sat, not facing the speaker but turned and he was staring at a woman who he worked closely with. Like he was proper staring at her. She just kept looking at the speaker away from him. My friend and I were looking at each other saying is this actually happining,? It was weird. Looking back now he was a **** creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,759 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This kind of culture actively discriminates against many people - people with disabilities, people with caring responsibilities for children or parents, older people. Sounds like the kind of job where you need to be young and single or young and with a partner who covers most of the heavy lifting at home.

I remember from my MNC days that someone suggested I wasn't a team player because not enough of my team were attending a 'morale event'. We had an interesting discussion as to what constitutes morale. There was also a later discussion were it was suggested that the people who went to bed after dinner at said 'morale event' and didn't stay up on the residents bar singing rugby club songs weren't good team players. It was noticeable to see how many of those with young kids were absolutely delighted with the idea of getting an early night of uninterrupted sleep. That did more for their morale than any pub sh1tetalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I really do wonder about a lot of Boardsies sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭jackboy

Best of all is the fake anonymous engagement feedback. Employees say they want better pay, recognition and chance of progression in the workplace. This never happens, instead we get all that has been mentioned on this thread. Funny how some workplaces pretend they don’t know why turnover of staff is so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...oh they know, they just dont give a bollcoks!

• Advertisement

I actually don't see how this actively discriminates against many people. People who have disabilities or caring responsibilities for parents or older people do not have to attend the on site activities if this wouldn't work for them. That is definitely a valid reason not to attend. People with children can attend if they have somebody to look after their children. If not, then they don't attend, and that's absolutely understood. Two of my colleagues are pregnant at the moment, and they are traveling absolutely nowhere, unless they want to, and if it is safe for them to do so, and that takes into consideration whether they would actually feel comfortable travelling.

For the rest of it, it actually is quite useful for people with personal responsibilities. They can work from home, they can pick up their children in the middle of the day if required, they can attend appointments with people in their care. It is very flexible in that regard.

On a general level though, my job does require travel for project work. If I wasn't in a position to do that, then I wouldn't do it. If long term circumstances changed, then I would talk about it and see what could be changed in my role, and/or look for another job.

Advertisement