Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced "fun" in the workplace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Mine was ripped out. Surprisingly the amount of blood

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think I was at that Christmas party. Like Carrie with tinsel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

That would be an excellent team building exercise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I Worked in Google for 12yrs as a Vendor, had a pretty good position, the amount of 'forced fun' was sickening, loads of Googley C**nts trying to out Googley each other....sickening.

Left there 4 1/2 yrs ago, utterly toxic atmosphere, higher management were superb as they knew their roles/places, but the amount of lower end back stabbing for the smallest promotion, nah, not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Well done, and you're probably more content and happy with your choice. I hope it goes well for you. Marketing can be tough going, especially when your creativity and hard work isn't appreciated and has to fall in line with the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Did anyone ever get coerced into attending those ‘great place to work’ shindigs… in the Burlington… ? seemed like a good idea…. Free dinner and gargle..

But when you factored in though you had two hours watching managers go up and be ‘genuinely’ delighted upon collecting the award.. employees in tow with a demeanour …. “ hurry the fûck up, we’re up here any longer the hangover will start kicking in “

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks, but there's nothing I didn't already know there. I know how stand-ups work, and I know how the terminology excludes those who have difficulty standing for periods. Yet again, it is the tech bros designing for tech bros, young, fit, healthy, mostly men. If you need a morning meeting that is brief (which is the key message behind 'stand up'), then schedule a brief meeting. Don't scare people off with ablest terminology.

And yes, I understand how activities like bowling and skiing and Zipit and lots of other things exclude people. They're typically chosen to suit the organisers, with little thought about now many people are excluded by design.

The after-hours commitment is even worse than I feared. So now people with caring responsibilities end up getting paid less then their peers. Wait till the directors see the impact of this in their gender pay gap reporting starting next month, and we'll see how long it takes for them to cop on.

I swear that most 'away days/nights' are more about spending a particular HR budget than actually providing something that staff want or will enjoy. I was watching the Quinn documentary last night with Dessie Cahill doing MC for the company party, probably costing somewhere between €5k and €10k. I recall Ray Darcy doing DJ for some corporate gig I was at around that time, cringefest. But hey, they got to spend the big money, so the peasants should be delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Slightly related, this 'secret Santa' rubbish.

It's a workplace, not a kindergarten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

We are all expected to go to all company nights out with the MD telling us its a reflection of how you feel about your job/department/manager if you don't go. He is very strict on this. Had a night out for Halloween recently and it was compulsory fancy dress - nothing against it but just not my thing. Explained that I didn't want to get dressed up and was told to 'Suck it up' and just do it and I was expected to be there! Was very unfortunate that my babysitter cancelled at the last minute so could not go!

Also back in May there was another night out and I told them I couldn't go as I was going to my nieces communion and party that evening in my sisters house & the MD actually to me "How close are you to your niece?" Like do you actually need to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,753 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you looked for a job where the company culture is a better fit for your personality?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I am sitting at my desk dreading the Secret Santa email. I am hoping its gone to late for it or because the company has grown in size that there wont be one this year.

One thing I hate is this "fun" in the work place, usually driven by some little cabal in the HR department, who probably have nothing better to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Nothing at all wrong with people enjoying craic with their workmates, but trying to force it on people is just stupid and counterproductive.

Really, it's a better sign if some people opt out of these things, then there's less pressure on your workers and you know they don't feel they have to go to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Or better still, people should opt-in to these things - if you want to do Secret Santa, by all means, let people who want to be involved opt-in. I didn't opt-in for the World Cup pool recently. I've no difficulty with those who want to get involved, just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If you hadn't "sucked it up" or lied about the babysitter what would have happened. In a situation like that I'd be very inclined to take a stand. Many people including myself are uncomfortable with fancy dress clownery. Most won't push back but it only takes one to show the way.

IMO an employer with the attitude described will inevitably end up in the WRC (and losing) over something or other at some stage.

BTW were there any restrictions on what you could dress up as. How about Patrick "Postal" Sherrill or James "Big Mac" Huberty. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noahungry

The concept of Forced fun at the workplace is very much present nowadays (btw, I love the name of the thread). Social events (of any type) within a company cannot be mandatory to attend. I mean, simple logic tells you that making something like this mandatory will have the opposite effect of what you're trying to achieve.

110% agree with you. Let's get our ducks in a row and raise the flag and see who salutes.

Remember, a rolling stone is worth two in the bush.

Someone asked another member of senior management what would happen if they didn't dress up and they were told they wouldn't be let in if they weren't dressed up! Dont know if they would have actually followed through on it. Those who were happy to dress up went and those who didnt want to dress up just didnt go to it

That's nuts! Why do business's seem to think they get to determine what people do outside of work?

I work an enough hours with you during the week and the idea of wearing a poxy Christmas jumper or fancy dress is somehow appealing? I'd most definitely be telling them where to go and wouldn't be making excuses.

What's wrong with just saying "no" or "I couldn't be arsed"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

A lady I work with lost her mother around Christmas and as a result hates the season. She has no issue with other people celebrating but it's a somber and sad time for her so she doesn't get involved in Christmas activities. Our new manager has asked her multiple times why she doesn't want to come to the Christmas Breakfast that she's arranging for the team. I've even privately told the manager why she doesn't want to come but she keeps on bringing it up and asking her again and again. It's harassment as far as I'm concerned.

Thankfully the wider culture here isn't one where mandatory fun is a thing. You join in if you want. As it should be. There's just the odd bullheaded manager like mine that won't take no for an answer. Her attitude towards my colleague and her general sh1tness as a manager means I won't be going to her stupid breakfast either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Xmas meal email this year..."Attendance is encouraged".

Hahahahahahaha not a chance you absolute weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,681 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Swamp donkey is such a good term.

I'm currently laughing away to myself in a quiet corner of the canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Years ago I worked at a company and used to go out when the drinks were on the company.

Then two things at once happened.

I started getting the ride regularly and the company stopped the free drinks on nights out.

As you can imagine my priorities shifted to getting the ride, rather than expansive drinks on company nights out with people i saw every day.

In my yearly performance review (not the riding one) I was told that i had stopped going to social events and that I needed to start going to more. I was scored on that review and got a 3 out of 10 under the sports and social heading. I couldnt explain to yer wan doing my review what my priorities were. she wouldnt have understood.

Totally agree - if people dont want to go they shouldnt be forced or made feel bad about it. I have gone to plenty of work nights out no problem at all - just the Halloween I didn't because I dont like dressing up in fancy constume and the one in May i genuinely had something else on.

Our HR calls it 'quietly quitting' if people dont want to go to company events - he reckons they have no interest in the company and assumes they are looking for work else where

Heard that crap before. Is my job being done? Oh it is, is it? What's the problem...oh you're paying me to go to pub...no? Feck off. There's a rugby match on Friday and the pub doesn't do proper toasties.

I'm not bitter at all, just can't be arsed. I'm not unsociable, but my colleagues aren't my mates. Good people, but trekking into town for a cupla free pints. Nah!

My boss did ask if I was going out for Christmas drinks last week. Kinda hinting I should. We reached an agreement and I have the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Or maybe companies need to realise they dont own us !

They require someone to do the work, it's done and we get paid. They are not my friends or people I would choose to socialize with

i work to earn a wage .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

• Registered Users Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There should be a reciprocal understanding, they do not own you, you are just an expendable cog in the wheel. If both look at it that way, neither needs to concern themselves about such frivolities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yep , a çompany I worked brought us all one Christmas, they had told two staff they were being let go in early in the new year.

The problem was the free bar , the two lads drank as much as they could and served tables from other companies around us with double brandies all night.

Advertisement