Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia EV6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Perhaps more crazy when compared to premium brands with now just costing a little over EV6. Range vs Brand is the question perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

Has anyone got the battery preconditioning update done at the dealers yet? I'm suppose to be picking mine up next month, it's sitting at the dealers and according to the vin it's a MY22 so needs the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭eltoastero

have a look back up through the thread to see my rants/progress to date on this - basically the dealers don't know what the update is, only that I keep pushing them to look for certain updates and even then it's not the correct update.

According to KIA twitter customer service, there are 2x updates the dealers must do: a Battery Management System update to versions "5480", which I now have) and some other mystery update; another user on the EV6 forum from the UK has the update and the only difference between their software versions and mine is the "MKBD software", they have v03.43, I have v0.3.42.

The navigation software needs an update too (I'm on version 20221207) and while it has improved the search function for chargers by Power output, it isn't adequate to all the battery pre-conditioning to work.

Hassle the dealer to check checking, it's apparently not obvious on their system when they put the Reg/VIN in.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

Cheers, I hoped Kia would be more competent than VW with this. Dealer hasn't aclue what I was talking about, just that all software would be updated as part of the PDI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭ffocused

I don’t think the battery preconditioning will make much difference in Ireland as rapid chargers are few and far between. I have never used a public charger over 50kw and I have been to all 4 provinces during the year. Haven’t tried a 50kw in this cold weather, but I imagine the car should still handle it at close to full speed without preconditioning anyway.

In theory, 800 v should suffer a lot less from coldgating than 400 odd volt electric cars. Internal resistance increases as the battery gets colder and internal resistance limits current but since the voltage has doubled this should halve the needed current be much less of an issue.

Now unless car manufacturers limit overall power or Kw through the BMS that's a different matter entirely but in general a BMS doesn't have to limit the power as the battery can't take it anyway.

I did experiments when I was building electric bikes years ago and the batteries left outside couldn't charge fast and acceleration was very sluggish, and the battery if left inside performed much better, I used no BMS of course as it added unnecessary complexity and cost at the time and I had the cut off voltage of the motor controller set so that the voltages never got too low, usually ended up at 3.5 v per cell minimum, but I did need to check the cells now and then but if I kept the voltages between 4.15 and 3.5 volts for LiPo then they usually didn't get out of balance, rogue cells could be detected by an unusual drop in voltage on acceleration. Lower power bikes might not suffer much but I was pulling 10 Kw peak at times, through a bicycle, was amazing fun. I Miss those days.

Hi Ffocussd. If I remember correctly you moved from an Xceed Phev to the EV6. Are you happy with it?

What kind of range are you getting this weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭skinnyfries

I ordered mine and paid the deposit on 20th October, was advised delivery late January 2023. Dealer phoned me 2 weeks ago to advise they have it already. They were getting 5 EV6, and I got the last one on 20th October. Newgate Motors in Meath

That's brilliant news. Very nice. Were all 5 GT versions? I thought each dealer was to get only one or two GT versions. Or was 5 the total allocation of EV6 to the dealer?

• Advertisement

Hi Killer K, that right my last car was XCeed phev. I have not regretted changing once. If I had kept Xceed until now and i was looking at an EV for 2023, the only cars I would seriously consider are Polestar 2 or E-Niro but EV6 would still be my number 1 choice if one could be sourced.

Not doing much driving this weather as I work from home, but I charged to 90% a few days ago and i think range was reported at about 370km. In reality I would estimate it’s closer to 300km with 90% charge if driven normally with heating on in sub 0 temps.

I just went out and took below pics to show range difference with heat on (bottom) and heat off (top) battery currently at 64%

They also show my average of 17.6kw/100km over nearly 9000kms since January.

5 was the total allocation of EV6 to the dealer. From what I gathered none were GT, they were all Earth.

@ffocused thank you for your very comprehensive response. Delighted you are happy with your choice.

The Xceed Phev is a fine car but looks dated when parked next to an EV6. The contrast in interior is even more striking.

Did you go for the earth or the higher spec? Of course if you were to buy now it would be 3/4 grand more expensive.

That makes sense. What colour are you getting? I understand that the last batch that arrived in September were all dark blue (can't remember the name of the colour).

Mine in an Earth, as it’s all I could get for guaranteed January 22 delivery, I imagine I would still be waiting for GT Line if I had ordered one!

I’m getting silver, it was either that or the blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

My EV6 was with the dealer Tuesday (unrelated) and when I collected it I was told they had done the battery preconditioning update. I didn't know anything about it .. is there something new in the car that I could check to see ?

my experience to date is that I will almost always be able to pull 50kW from the 50kW chargers regardless of outside temperature. The only caveats on that would be that I've never public charged past 80% so don't know how long it can hold onto near 50kW power.

The preconditioning will benefit those of us who want to plug in for literally 5 minutes to get maybe 100km in that time, just to make it home. If you rock up to an IONITY with 10% and a cold battery with the intention of getting to 80% then it will still be pretty fast, the first 10 mins of charging will raise the battery temp to optimum levels (and the charge will take 25mins - 30mins instead of the headline 18 mins in all the marketing)

Fast chargers start to throttle after 90%, but this is by design and also will not be made any better by preconditioning.

I’m sure it will be useful in another year or 2 when ESB have more 150kw units in service.

@v10 My understanding is If you use on board nav to go to a nearby DC charger, you should see a symbol (kind of like glowplug symbol on diesel car) on top of battery icon on dash which indicates battery is preheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

How are all you EV6ers finding the remote climate control these cold days?

My preset only seems to work if I'm plugged in.

If I instruct the climate control to begin at any given instant via the app, it's v hit and miss as to whether or not it begins.

Seems to only work if I change a setting (like heated steering wheel on/off) before sending the request.

Can't figure it out exactly.

it works about 90% of the time, I think the remaining times are when the Kia servers are overloaded or down ("Remote Command sent", a few mins later "No Response received").

Just to check that you've all the updates done (both dealer and infotainment head unit updates). I think the dealer update in maybe April got it working and then the May/June infotainment update fixed the bugs - mainly the bug that set it to 27 degrees at the end).

And the final issue I had was that I had to keep going in and refreshing the car status from the app, almost to keep sending the request "yeah I still want the remote climate to activate" - this was fixed in an infotainment update, I can't remember which one.

It is one of my most appreciated features these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

promising news more 6's are becoming available. I live in hope :). Congrats to all

Where did you hear this Jack and when are they arriving?

Anybody take delivery of their EV6 in 2023?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

What’s the story with the speed camera detector, option seems to have disappeared?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭TOLLOT

Is everyone else being asked to pay for the battery pre- condition update ?

service desk wants to charge me for 1.5 hrs @ 80 per hour to install it .

says it’s not a mandatory update .

would have thought kia would include it .

Great stuff. What colour did you get? Anything unusual or unexpected about the MY23 car or is it all as advertised?

Is it just a software update? Sure you can do that yourself. I'd expect as part of the service all updates to be applied.

• Advertisement

I got the silver. It’s much bigger than I expected! So far so good, I’m very happy with it.

Congratulations skinnyfries. It looks great in Silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭TOLLOT

Firstly best luck to the new EV6 owners .

back to the software pre heating update , as i I understand it it’s only entertainment updates you can do yourself .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

I left my car in to have something else minor checked a couple of weeks before xmas and when I got it back I was told they had done the precondition update. He mentioned it would normally be chargeable but that they would cover it, I was happy not to have to pay but surprised it was chargeable in the first place.

have you been able to test if it works? I've been in twice to get it done and whatever they've updated it didn't enable the pre-conditioning. Might have to give it another shot in a few weeks. I won't be paying for it, to me it's (ability to charge very quickly) part of what I bought at outset.

anyone else getting service reminders from dealer for cars delivered last January?

Called and queried as manual states 24 months, but was told its 12 months/15000kms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭John arse

I got a call from the dealer I bought from (Cork) even though I go to a closer dealer (Wicklow) for the previous recalls (and attempts to get the pre-conditioning fixed). Wish I'd had the cop on at the time to ask "what needs to be serviced" after 1 year / 10k km given the service schedule states 2 years.

Schedule from the online Manual. I guess this means we can avoid a service this year without voiding Warranty. I'm no where near the mileage limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Car flagging a 20K service so rang to book it in. Was told the first is 30K but Kia "recommend" a yearly check so should bring it in for that and again at 30K. Will be close to the 30K at the 1year mark so told him thanks but no. Around 150 euro for the check!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

Yeah dealers trying to recoup money. Manual says 30k and doing keeps your car warranty conditions. I told the hyundau dealer I didn't want the 15k "visual check" but the did for free anyway (as they told me) when I bought it in for the SW update recall.

30k service was saucy for what they had to do but just sucked it up as needed as per warranty conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanoh

Hi all,

Anyone know anything about when we might expect to be able to power the house off the V2L function? From reading the solar pages here it seems using the car as a larger storage battery may not ever be supported but that's so annoying. I have panels and a 5kW battery that's useful but a 77kW one in the driveway that I can charge but not use for anything other than driving...

The V2L can provide 2KWp of power. From the car perspective everything is there for you can power you house today if you like. What issue do you perceive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

The charger you use would need to support V2L also and few do, or else you need to connect to the house an alternate way

It can be used for other things tho

I believe electroboom has a video where he electrocutes himself several times in the process of doing this.

Yes that possible with the right charger I dont know of any commercially available. Hyundai also piloting V2G

I'm fairly sure the discharge is up to 3.6kwp I was running a hotplate off V2L in the summer with a 1 & 2 KWp plates.

Oh, that's even better. Last time this came up it was all a bit dodgy btw. Technically all you need is an outdoor socket and a two way lead to run your house off the EV. There was a chap on here who had a petrol generator who was going to replace it with V2L. A receipt for killing some one working on the grid or in the house but the key point is that it's not the car that needs changing it's the house wiring to allow this to be done safely and continuously by the average person and it would be more than a charger needed, your need a firemans switch installed as well and because it's a power generator (from a grid perspective) on the AC side you'd need to get approval for ESBn, which they wouldn't provide I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanoh

How would you connect the house to the car? I have a zappi but it says it doesn't support two directional flow.

Honestly I'm not going to provide any recommendations on this. You get get the principles from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At0advb9_fA. Do note how many times he electrocutes himself.

• Advertisement

Bit more than that I would think would need load management SW too. Kia runs on 800 volt architecture mains power is 240 volts (single phase).

Even if you have solar panels you need a special isolator from the main grid if there a power cut on of the reasons solar doesn't work as a back up.

All need to be done professionally.

Advertisement