Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kia EV6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭John arse

Kinda like getting planning permission then???🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Question for EV6 owners. Is 'cold gating' an issue or was it ever an issue on fast chargers in terms of getting optimum speed?

There was talk of a software update. Did that ever happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭eltoastero

There is a drop off in initial charge rate in winter compared to summer (I'm basing my info here off my semi-regular drive from Tyrone to City North Ionity (120km or so), so adequate time for the battery to heat up a bit due to driving, I'm arriving with between 10% to 30% on these journey's (>30% means i'll easily get home)

Summer: Charging usually starts at around 120kW, rising to 170kW within 5 mins and peaking at just over 220kW for a short while.

Winter: Charging usually starts around 50kW, then it jumps to 120kW, then 170kW (haven't seen higher as there's probably too much SoC to see the 200kW+ peaks)

I don't have an ODBC dongle attached to prove this, but i suspect these jumps in power are aligned with the battery temp reaching 15 degrees / 20 degrees / 25 degrees (based on some online videos I've seen showing this pattern)

In theory the battery pre-conditioning would enable our charging to start closer to the 170kW or maybe 220kW rates (5 min at that rate could be 100km of range added).

Regarding software updates, you might have noticed my previous comments/rants as I try to chase this up (between dealers, Kia twitter, Kia customer service) and all I can gather (from Kia customer service) is there are 2 dealer updates (one to the BMS and one to another system that I don't need to know the details about) and 1 Navigation update (we can to that ourselves). I've 1 dealer update to the BMS done and the Navigation update (20221004) done but I don't have the battery pre-conditioning feature yet. I believe it will come to 2022 models as it's available on some European Ioniq 5's, but the Kia dealers are really struggling to find these updates on their system (I'm trying to get Kia Customer service to engage with my dealer to give them the information directly, rather than me passing it on second hand)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

@eltoastero thank you for your very comprehensive reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The price of the ICE cars is staggering.

1 litre Ceed for 30 k.....

Dear God almighty.

Yep, Kia prices from across the range have risen significantly, making the ICE ones comparatively poor value when factoring in depreciation. I suspect while they have completely dropped the 0% Apr, they still have a 3.9% rate for HP and PCP and these price increases partly cover the cost of offering the 3.9%. Won't get that rate directly from Bank of Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Toyota are similar though for a Yaris, Corolla or Aygo X.

Ditto Golf is over 30 k.

1.5 Opel Insignia petrol was over 42 k list.

So not specific to Kia sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

60k for Kia? What are they thinking.

Crazy until you compare it to the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Perhaps more crazy when compared to premium brands with now just costing a little over EV6. Range vs Brand is the question perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭McHonda

Has anyone got the battery preconditioning update done at the dealers yet? I'm suppose to be picking mine up next month, it's sitting at the dealers and according to the vin it's a MY22 so needs the update.

have a look back up through the thread to see my rants/progress to date on this - basically the dealers don't know what the update is, only that I keep pushing them to look for certain updates and even then it's not the correct update.

According to KIA twitter customer service, there are 2x updates the dealers must do: a Battery Management System update to versions "5480", which I now have) and some other mystery update; another user on the EV6 forum from the UK has the update and the only difference between their software versions and mine is the "MKBD software", they have v03.43, I have v0.3.42.

The navigation software needs an update too (I'm on version 20221207) and while it has improved the search function for chargers by Power output, it isn't adequate to all the battery pre-conditioning to work.

Hassle the dealer to check checking, it's apparently not obvious on their system when they put the Reg/VIN in.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭McHonda

Cheers, I hoped Kia would be more competent than VW with this. Dealer hasn't aclue what I was talking about, just that all software would be updated as part of the PDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭ffocused

I don’t think the battery preconditioning will make much difference in Ireland as rapid chargers are few and far between. I have never used a public charger over 50kw and I have been to all 4 provinces during the year. Haven’t tried a 50kw in this cold weather, but I imagine the car should still handle it at close to full speed without preconditioning anyway.

In theory, 800 v should suffer a lot less from coldgating than 400 odd volt electric cars. Internal resistance increases as the battery gets colder and internal resistance limits current but since the voltage has doubled this should halve the needed current be much less of an issue.

Now unless car manufacturers limit overall power or Kw through the BMS that's a different matter entirely but in general a BMS doesn't have to limit the power as the battery can't take it anyway.

I did experiments when I was building electric bikes years ago and the batteries left outside couldn't charge fast and acceleration was very sluggish, and the battery if left inside performed much better, I used no BMS of course as it added unnecessary complexity and cost at the time and I had the cut off voltage of the motor controller set so that the voltages never got too low, usually ended up at 3.5 v per cell minimum, but I did need to check the cells now and then but if I kept the voltages between 4.15 and 3.5 volts for LiPo then they usually didn't get out of balance, rogue cells could be detected by an unusual drop in voltage on acceleration. Lower power bikes might not suffer much but I was pulling 10 Kw peak at times, through a bicycle, was amazing fun. I Miss those days.

Hi Ffocussd. If I remember correctly you moved from an Xceed Phev to the EV6. Are you happy with it?

What kind of range are you getting this weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭skinnyfries

I ordered mine and paid the deposit on 20th October, was advised delivery late January 2023. Dealer phoned me 2 weeks ago to advise they have it already. They were getting 5 EV6, and I got the last one on 20th October. Newgate Motors in Meath

That's brilliant news. Very nice. Were all 5 GT versions? I thought each dealer was to get only one or two GT versions. Or was 5 the total allocation of EV6 to the dealer?

• Advertisement

Hi Killer K, that right my last car was XCeed phev. I have not regretted changing once. If I had kept Xceed until now and i was looking at an EV for 2023, the only cars I would seriously consider are Polestar 2 or E-Niro but EV6 would still be my number 1 choice if one could be sourced.

Not doing much driving this weather as I work from home, but I charged to 90% a few days ago and i think range was reported at about 370km. In reality I would estimate it’s closer to 300km with 90% charge if driven normally with heating on in sub 0 temps.

I just went out and took below pics to show range difference with heat on (bottom) and heat off (top) battery currently at 64%

They also show my average of 17.6kw/100km over nearly 9000kms since January.

5 was the total allocation of EV6 to the dealer. From what I gathered none were GT, they were all Earth.

@ffocused thank you for your very comprehensive response. Delighted you are happy with your choice.

The Xceed Phev is a fine car but looks dated when parked next to an EV6. The contrast in interior is even more striking.

Did you go for the earth or the higher spec? Of course if you were to buy now it would be 3/4 grand more expensive.

That makes sense. What colour are you getting? I understand that the last batch that arrived in September were all dark blue (can't remember the name of the colour).

Mine in an Earth, as it’s all I could get for guaranteed January 22 delivery, I imagine I would still be waiting for GT Line if I had ordered one!

I’m getting silver, it was either that or the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

My EV6 was with the dealer Tuesday (unrelated) and when I collected it I was told they had done the battery preconditioning update. I didn't know anything about it .. is there something new in the car that I could check to see ?

my experience to date is that I will almost always be able to pull 50kW from the 50kW chargers regardless of outside temperature. The only caveats on that would be that I've never public charged past 80% so don't know how long it can hold onto near 50kW power.

The preconditioning will benefit those of us who want to plug in for literally 5 minutes to get maybe 100km in that time, just to make it home. If you rock up to an IONITY with 10% and a cold battery with the intention of getting to 80% then it will still be pretty fast, the first 10 mins of charging will raise the battery temp to optimum levels (and the charge will take 25mins - 30mins instead of the headline 18 mins in all the marketing)

Fast chargers start to throttle after 90%, but this is by design and also will not be made any better by preconditioning.

I’m sure it will be useful in another year or 2 when ESB have more 150kw units in service.

@v10 My understanding is If you use on board nav to go to a nearby DC charger, you should see a symbol (kind of like glowplug symbol on diesel car) on top of battery icon on dash which indicates battery is preheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

How are all you EV6ers finding the remote climate control these cold days?

My preset only seems to work if I'm plugged in.

If I instruct the climate control to begin at any given instant via the app, it's v hit and miss as to whether or not it begins.

Seems to only work if I change a setting (like heated steering wheel on/off) before sending the request.

Can't figure it out exactly.

Advertisement