Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Nope. Question was well build up and developed. Like a good sprinters workout. Long warm up, short and sharp session and no warm down 😁. Question was answered by both to my satisfaction as in I understand why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Taxes

An elite such as Kipchoge has his aerobic house built a long time ago.

He was building that house since he could jog to the well to help fetch water for his family. While he was building his aerobic house, we were watching television and playing the odd game of football.

It makes sense then that because his aerobic house is already built, that a much greater % of overall training volume will be allocated to ‘quality’ based training runs compared to a recreational runner. He is physiologically and structurally equipped to handle this workload.

Therein lays the main problem with taking an elites training schedule and scaling it back to suit. You will soon find yourself overtrained/injured(probably both) as you are not equipped to handle the workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Wednesday: Legs were a little sore - amazing what a few seconds faster will do to you - I can do a 15 mile interval run at MP and be fine'ish next day. But 13 mins of 5k & faster running leaves me sore!

5.5m/ 8.30 pace.

Thursday: 6mile Progressive run - Starting at 7.10 working down to 6.20 (10sec faster each mile).

Was really looking forward to this - love these longer uninterrupted runs.

1 mile warm up - planned 2m but hit pace after 1st mile. (7.45).

Mile 1: felt very easy - came in at 7.05.

Mile 2: Still around the suburbs of Carpenterstown - meant to be 7 - beeped at 6.52 - a tad fast.

Mile 3: Around the Park in Laurel Lodge - fighting the urge to speed up to 6.30's - amazing how the body remembers. 6.47.

Mile 4: Up to CK Tennis Club - was at 6.20's at one stage - needed to slow down. 6.35

Mile 5: Down Auburn Ave and into the park - 6.28

Mile 6: Down to 1st Roundabout and turned back to Farmleigh - finished probably 1/3 of the way up Whites Road - opened the legs a bit on this mile and felt good to do so. (6.07)

CD: 1.6m to home

8.6m total.

Friday: Typically I take a rest day on Friday - but felt the urge to get out today - just over 4miles at a recovery pace.

Nice to see the track taking shape in Porterstown for MSB use. (I may rejoin this year!)

4.1/8.28 pace.

Saturday: 45mins Moderate + 5x30sec Hill Sprints

A slight variation that I've introduced to these runs - typically I do a moderate run the some strides - changed these to some hill work - still at the appropriate effort but good to get the hills in.

Done a 5min WU then was on pace - so hit the 45 mod, keeping it to 7.15's/7.20's for 45 mins. Had it planned to perfection as the 45mins ended just before the uphill started - really enjoyed these.

8m / 7.30 ave pace.

Sunday: Plan today was for 90 mins moderate effort (7.20 pace) - I was out Sat night for a few and didn't sleep very well, up early and felt like I had 10 pints (I didn't even have half that).

Was mildly surprised as my 1st mile came in at 7.35 despite the legs feeling like dead wood thats been at the bottom of the sea for 100 years. Added to that, those few hills on Sat had caused my calfs & glutes to be a tad sore.

A few interruptions as my phone (which had updated Software recently) continued to beep throughout my podcasts which was annoying - I stopped to try fix it.

Really enjoyed Scott Fauble on Citius Mag (he's always a great listen) + Sinead Diver on 'Inside Running' was very good - again - always a good listen. Both those respective pod's have said that their listenership increases when these 2 are on - for good reason.

Anyway - the legs were tired and as I turned around during mile 7, the wind was in my face for the uphill home, the rain started to fall in a horizontal position - that stingy rain!

Finished the 90mins on 11.85m - 7.30 pace.

52.5m for the week - highest week since early October. - apparently, I'm in a race for mileage with Swashbuckler (he told me so) although I think he can cheat as he's not showing his workings on Strava :) - this dude typically causes my bank balance to reduce around this time of year with the Black Friday deals that he keeps informing me of :) :)

if He finds some very good deals on hoka Clifton (or tecton x 😂), I hope he remembers to send a reminder to the hoka guy 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

& gratefully accepted! Very tempted!!

it's on

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Presumably there is no weighting of the mileage to elevation ratio? 😅

I'm offsetting that with time on feet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

43 mile's differentiation in the next month - not going to happen!! - Sure distance is a meaningless metric anyway :)

Maybe the metric should be;

2298.8 miles in 17290 mins= 7.52 (AMK)

V

2342.3 miles in 18182mins= 7.76. (Swash "I make up the rules to suit me" Buckler)

So I win??

Plus I need an age grading as I'm now 50!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

NOW he wants the AG. 😉

Plus, maybe 7.76 is better than 7.52? 😇

Good numbers both of ye - I'd call it a draw!

There's time yet. I feel a slump coming

There's a pretty infamous story in athletic circles about Swash Buckler going training on Christmas Day in 2022. That winter was particularly harsh in the Limerick, think Angelas Ashes on Carbon plated shoes (bought with a discount code), but, despite the nasty weather, he got up and did a hard 12-mile run early in the morning before sitting down to enjoy the Buckler family’s turkey dinner.

In the afternoon Swash sat around relaxing with the family but, after a while, he noticed he was beginning to feel a bit uneasy.

Eventually he realised that the source of his growing discontent was not the amount of sprouts he’d eaten, but the fact he was pretty sure his rival AMK was out doing his second run of the day whilst he was just slobbing out on the sofa!

So, he got kitted up again and went and did some hill reps in the ice and snow to make sure he wasn't being outdone by his nemesis.

Many years later, Swash and AMK met for dinner and Swash told Amk about what he’d done all those Christmases a go.

AMK was highly amused and quipped back ‘Did you only go out twice that day?!’

(Note: Heavily Plagiarized)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

ha ha ha ha ha - brilliantly done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Love it, with our imaginations we should get together and write a book🤣🤣

shouldnt it be:

distance / time x elevation / runs x (no of races x 2) / (365-total days of running) x max(1,(number of kudos given during the year - number of kudos received during the year)) = we are competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant. Although I'm sure I heard that story somewhere before 🤣

By the way it's only a 34 mile difference and I potentially have a taper on my hands next week. 😉

• Advertisement

Monday 21: legs felt in good nick - one of those runs where I wasn't going to run, but knew as soon as I went out that it was the right decision - 5.4m at 7.54 pace

Tuesday 22: 30x1min on/off (on=6.00 / Off=7.20)

When I seen this on the plan I thought it was torture, given to me by my coach.

Ran to Whites gate at PP and started there - OS/Furze/C'firls/North Road loop - the start stop nature hurts your legs after a while, but I guess thats one of the benefits it does to give a different adaptation.

Some reps were quite fast, some were slow as I lost concentration

By the end - my legs were tired, very tired and slightly sore.

Ons: 5.59 / Offs: 7.29 ave.

12.4m total

Wednesday: 5 mile recovery - nothing too difficult and a familiar well lit route.

5m / 8.20pace

Thursday: Session - Reverse Progression - 1m@5.50 / 2m@6.10 / 3m@6.30 (no recovery)

I was equally looking fwd to this and also dreading it at the same time - I love longer tempos but didn't know how I'd react to the 1st 3 miles as its been a while since I ran a mile at 5.50

Ran to the PP as a warm up - just over 2m and started at CK Gate - heading down the North Road.

I was feeling quite good on this towards the end of the mile and heard the watch beep for a 5.47 1st mile - slowed slightly going down the North Road - quite slippy at times and the closer I got to the Zoo, the more people and cars were going to the Lights in the Zoo - bad choice of route - plenty of zig zagging and being careful to mind the slippery mulch. A nice downhill just past the Zoo brought me back around to C'Field.

These 2 miles came in at 5.59/5.59 - a good 10secs faster - but I put that down to the downhill nature of the road.

Plan was to go straight into the 3 at 6.30 - but had to wait for about 20 secs at the road to the zoo carpark - then hit it - straight up chesterfield - I felt very good here and thankfully the wind was side on. Once I got past the monument, I knew I'd finish strong. I turned right to the North Road and out Ashtown gate heading back to Castleknock.

These 3 miles came in at 6.19/6.14 / 6.20 - very happy with that and a great 6m tempo complete.

2m cooldown home.

10.1m total (6.48 ave)

Post edited by AuldManKing on

Friday: Managed to get out at lunch for a few miles -

4.4m / 8.10 Pace.

Saturday: Moderate paced run + 5x30 secs

As usual on Sat - we had a Mod run - I chose the same route as last week - paces around 7.20/mile.

Finished the 45 mins just by a hill so done the same as last week 5x30sec hill sprints at tempo effort.

7.7m total.

Sunday: Long Session - 20x500@6.30/ 500@7.20

this should have been a bread and butter run - 500m at MP with recoveries shouldn't pose too much of an issue - an added spice to a long run?

Nope - My HR has been high for last few days - a bad sleep on Sat night seen me struggle through this - I had pretty terrible heart burn during this - had this a few years ago prior to been hospitalised - a reminder to go for my check up.

500 at MP came in at 6.27 - just about. / 500 Float was about 7.19 ave -

found this very very tough.

13.6m total.

58.4 miles for the week

By the end of December - me & Swashbuckler will be probably counting our miles to 3 decimal places.

I'm also thinking of doing an ultra marathon on Dec 31st.

And for those of you unable to check, with exactly 5 weeks left in the year the current standing is;

Swashbuckler- 2365 miles

AMK - 2352 miles

This one will go to the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Will be following this more closely than the World Cup 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just the one ultramarathon?

Best of luck to you two!

Just make sure you finish your ultra before midnight as otherwise SB will count that for 2023 to then just count it towards 2022 by the end of 2023 when the next challenge is on.

With 30 days to go there's nothing in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

16.5 miles over 30 days for a man recently averaging 55 a week and my average being less......there's nothing in it...

• Advertisement

16.5 miles is a lot over a month - plus the weather here in Dublin is worse than Limerick, plus, I live in a hilly area, plus I'm older and drink more. - there should be an age grading here!!

This is a silly game (unless I win)

Advertisement