Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store Lambs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Most times you put a creep feeder out, the lambs don't know what meal is and they learn slowly themselves, I don't know how you'd deal with lambs that are used to meal. Even to let a creep feeder empty for 12 hrs leads to gorgeing........ maybe someone else has experience of changing lambs over to creep feeders .

We use an advantage feeder here , it has slides on it to restrict feeding, it works well but you have to use lamb pellets.

https://advantagefeeders.ie/product/500/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

I had 60 ewe lambs outside on a poorish run with access to ad lib meal. Gave them a bale to pick at aswell. The silage was top quality, took them 3 weeks to go through it, the bale lasted that long which was suprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi All, i have a batch of texel ewe lambs. My original plan was to kill them when they were fit, but wasnt keeping close enough eye on them because the majority are now 55-60kg. What options do i have?

1. Send to factory, knowing i will only get paid up to 22kg dead
    2. Sell at mart as breeding hoggets. Is it a bit early in the year to sell them? as in farmers not buying for grass yet
    3. Sell to butcher. Do butcher buy heavier lambs
    4. Hang onto them until later in the year and sell in the mart

I have very little experience with sheep other than buying some store lambs to run over the paddocks in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Factories will pay to 23kg dead weight but at there weight they will more than likely kill out over 25 kg and ull be penalized. Best bet is mart and they will make over 160 euro now. Seen ones in athenry and ballina mart that weight and ewe hoggets' making 165 euro this week. If enough grass id wait till after st patricks day/first week of april. Ramadan starts 1st april so there will be demand for that and easter so the price will most likely be better, but sell them at the mart factories will screw you with penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Where are you based? Might be interested in a few for breeding next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Is chopped fodder beet an option for fattening lambs? Meal is going to be mad next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Anyone at a mart lately..I assume its too soon for store lambs? I have a glut of grass at the moment and would like a few

Bit early alright, could be lucky and find a few but I suspect you would pay through the nose for them now and lambs at €8.5/kg. If I was you and you just needed something to keep the grass down cull ewes might be a better option but this time of year you would want them sheared and they also could be hard found.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Thanks for that..I was also wondering about picking up a few aged ewes with lambs at foot ..sell lambs when fit and ewes a while after?

Just went onto LSL after I seen your posts not many store lambs in Stanolar mart this evening, good few ewes with lambs though. There still knocking about at around €200 a piece depending on age and strength of lamb, but if I was you I look for ewes already sheared save you the hassle - 10 ewes fleeces at 2kg a fleece wouldn't even get you and your missus a 99 cone.

• Advertisement

Will there be many lads buying them this year? Trade is good but meal will be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Looking at Tullow mart online, 35-39 kgs making 100 with the weight, fat lamb's making 115-120 with the weight, margin would be small even if finished off grass alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Didn't the fat lambs take a jump back in price last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah ill buy again , prices will come back once we get into september. grass will disapeer quick from mid august this year with not much fertiliser spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Some prices in Drumshambo for stores last Thursday

11 lambs €68 @26kg

56 lambs €115 @36.5kg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Wonder will it be another ten days to fortnight before men that have got hay/silage saved off meadows in last few good spells will be coming into the market to buy store lambs?......is there much nice aftergrass coming from the midlands down to Southeast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Some price's from Tullow yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

I think light store are gona be a terrible trade this year if your selling. If your buying there will be value got !

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Country lad

sold 60 lambs yesterday to a neighbour of mine as he buys them every year probally averaged about 34 kg and got 97 euro for them happy enough.kept the heaviest and smallest lambs myself as its great to have a good customer for my store lambs .

Are stores a good trade this year? I haven't been in the mart yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

If you're buying, there was better value a couple of weeks back. I heard today that there was a much better trade in Macroom yesterday.

bought 51 last week 38kg averaged 102 eur. reseeded 20 acre field so didnt go to kerry this year, bought a batch of 25kg lambs last year in it and lost a few, ill never buy anything under 32 kg again , trying get stronger lambs from now on. no money in dead ones.

Was hard get 32kg lambs last year at fair value though, I ended up having to buy lighter ones too as didn't want spending over 100 euro for store lambs over 30kg. Luckily they went very well for me, but bought full bred texel ewe store lambs this year at 30kg for 85 euro a piece 8bweeks ago and there averaging 41kg now already

thats good business

That’s serious thrive. I thought a kg per week was good. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

Bought light lambs 25/30kg. Puting them into shed with bale and trading them to eat. Shearing and dosing them.

Would you hetevac p them?

I would always heptavac, especially important if shearing them as they will be more suseptible to the cold even in doors. More than pays for itself with the cost of a few dead ones.

Will take serious amount of meal now to finnish them lambs. They will at least eat minimum a kilo of meal each a day, and should be gaining minimum 1kg weight a week providing the have a decent frame. My advice would be if they are smallish and don't have a frame that could hold 22kg dead weight then leave them outside and throw your best silage as well as a decent grass field at them and try get a frame on them of at least 35kg before fattening on full meal in the shed.

lost a few lambs to sudden death so heptavp plus everything last weekend, i must have a growing problem of pasteurllia here the last few years so im going to do all lambs on the farm in mid august when weaned from now on and all stores bought in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭kk.man

I lost 4 last year and they got one shot. I have done the two this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

It will be interesting I'm going to weigh mine after shear them and weight them after every 30 weeks. I'll see how get on. Pure gamble. 🙈

Advertisement