Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store Lambs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

30 days I presume, heed be fairly tuff after 30 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

one shot runs out after a couple month and is never as strong as two shots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yes those died about 10 weeks after the injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Are lads feeding much meal at the minute? Only bought 30 this year as I've too many cattle. Was thinking of feeding 3 bags a week for 2 months. What are lads paying for bagged meal at the minute? The grass has been great so far.

Did you see this utube vlog https://youtu.be/8F6ogprLD2c

very interesting ... I'd say not many in a rush to feed till price vastly improves. If price doesn't go up to justify feeding then going to have an overhang of hoggets in the spring which will also damage the spring lamb trade.

• Advertisement

Yeah will be interesting to see the hogget carryover this year

A nice shed and race.

Lovely operation.....You wouldn't want to build it on the returns of the store lamb trade.

Definitely not this year, since 2018 there has been fairly decent returns. This year is an absolute disaster, the worst year I have ever seen for store lambs meal up on 13 euro a bag and with the dire prices at the factory now, you called it spot on the carryover into next spring with hogget's for factory will be something fierce and it will F'Up the Easter early lamb trade, where producers will also get hole opened with meal feeding ewes 20% protein nuts indoors.

Store buyersare after having a good run in the llast few years alright, plenty were telling me I was mad to be lambing ewes,

Very little autumn grass and less meal feeding going on has meant a lot of lambs underfinished , so it's a double whammy now, ....poor kill out and poor price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

I’m feeding hard at the minute inside to get them cleared out. Weighing well and killing out well. Would usually have plenty of bought lambs lying about and not start pushing them on to finish until January or February but I feel there’s going to be a big glut of hoggets this spring, with the amount of poorly done backward sheep that went through the marts this year.

Will have to see what way it goes but I’m not going to chance it, even if there isn’t a glut I can’t imagine the price would be good enough to cover the meal bill on the long term lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Have a few light lambs around 33-35 kgs that i had hoped to let run on and not meal them as i have plenty of grass....but think i will have to bite the bullet and start feeding them . When would i want to have them gone by before they would be classed as hoggets in the factory, i suppose it would be just before early spring lambs come in, would i be right thinking that would be before easter approx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Any prices this week lads?

Someone here may correct me if I'm wrong put anything come 1st of Jan 2023 will be classed as Hogget's (unless they are new season spring lambs), even though they realistically may still be lambs in age. You will see factories instead of quoting for lambs they will be quoting for hogget's but they will still be the same price up until march time when they will have a higher quote for new season (spring lambs).

If they have a frame and are sizey at that weight then you could finish them on meal and get them to good dead weight kgs. If they are small then it would be best to wait let them build a frame on grass, then finish indoor come ferbuary/march for 6-8 weeks on meal and pray that hogeet price starts to rise with Easter/Ramadan trade which it may not with the carryover of lambs due to meal prices this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

It will take alot of meal to put 15kg of live weight onto them for the factory, rough rule of thumb is 6kg meal =1kg live weight,so realistically your talking €40 of meal to see a 34kg lamb to the factory.I wouldn't worry about them getting classed as hoggets as it Will make no difference to the price,spring Hogget price is often more than late summer lamb price

Is it ok to finish hoggets on hi maize cattle ration? I’ve only 30 and will be feeding a few bullocks as well. Just out of pure handiest. It’s the copper I’m anxious about.

Unless it was very very low in copper I would not chance it

I've a few store lambs that I bought in and are not thriving. I can feel the bone on their backs and they are loosing a little wool. All lowland type. What is this a sign of? They've been dosed with wormer and fluke. Started feeding meal last week.

Did they get mineral dosing, especially cobalt.

Yes. They get dosed on day of arrival. Going to dose again at weekend. Are mineral licks any advantage for stores?

• Advertisement

It's so important to get the dosing right considering the price of meal, if they're thin they should respond well to meal, and meal will have minerals and vitamins but if you dose and the dose doesn't work your meal will be wasted.

What dose did you use/going to use.

Alot of the dual purpose fluke and worm doses are useless for worms

I use separate worm and fluke doses. I’m not sure of the names.

A lot of the worm doses aren't working on farms too.

Ad lib meal would do a good job on your lambs, it sounds like they haven't been thriving for a while, very difficult to know why they're not thriving, it could be any number of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Dickie10

could be scab they will melt if they have it i should know! watch them and see if they are scratching or turning around to bit themselves

The neighbour came down to look. He said I’ve 2 with scab. Never saw it before. Gave them dectomax. Noticed a third one scratching after. Going to get stuff for them on Monday evening and do them all. There’s only a 10 withdrawal. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tileman

Generally once u have one it will spread through them so you might need to do them all to stop re infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Dickie10

do you have them on thier own in the field? you will have to do all sheep in that field, when you inject them put them onto a field or in a shed that hasnt had sheep for about 20 days then you after 17/18 days you can return them to the field they were in. the mites that live off the sheep that cause the scab can survive without a host (sheep) to live off more than 17 days , a lot will die off before this but that wont matter if theres a small percentage still living they can reinfect the flock again. i think this fact was missed years ago wwhen farmers couldnt seem to rid thier places of scab.

I’ve only 30 and they have the run of the whole place. About 70 acres. I usually house them for the last 6 weeks and pump in the meal. Try and get early grass. Might be a handy option. I’m working full time so you know yourself. It’s great coming on here for advice and learning stuff.

The scab cannot live more than 17 days without a host but the injected sheep can be infective for 14 days after injection, so they can infect stakes etc for up to 14 days after injection so you'd need to take the sheep off for thirty days plus. ivermectin only kills what's there , no ongoing protection

Dipping on the other hand kills the scab in 24 hrs and protects for 50 days plus and, The scab won't live for fifty days until the sheep are clear of the dip, and you don't have to take the sheep out of the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Young95

Anyone look at buying or selling store lambs yet ? Wonder what the trade for them will be like this autumn?

Advertisement