Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store Lambs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

How many do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Bit early for them yet but did anyone see any Mountain X or brockie type ewe lambs sold yet?

Would imagine prices will be back on last year when brockie type lambs were very dear.

From what I can see good Suffolk x lambs are back 10-20 euro on last year.

Good quality Suffolk lambs suitable for breeding making around €110-€115 for 40kg. Same type lamb last year were €130+

Not the same appetite for men given rising cost of all inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Ramadan from early march to early April, and Easter Sunday is on the 31st of march next year, which may provide a trade for lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Im buying around 100 at the minute out of south Kerry and west cork, ill put up pics and prices/weights when i get them home. im expecting prices back maybe 10euro/head. confident enough of prices over winter and early spring. NZ lamb into EU and Uk wont be near as much as feared as i think a lot of theres will go to china still. contiued reduction oon ewe numbers in NZ still going on, no sign of reduction stopping yet. reduction in ewe numbers on island of ireland too, id say will show up big time in the census of 2023/24/25. Anecdotly how many young farmers under 40 have gotten into ewes in last 5 years ?

I got 99 store lambs last night from Kenmare mart, came from 2 seperate farms both in West Cork. 32.5 kg average weight was average 87 euro. about 15 euro a head cheaper than last year but they were got in tipperary. i will put up pics when i have them in during week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

hi dickie10, is it through the Mart that you arranged transport ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

dosed lambs for fluke last week and dipped on friday. must get a picture or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

We'd never dose lambs for fluke. Dobyou think they need it. Has been a wet summer. Did you test them for fluke.

We dosed with levicide on Saturday. Lambs were showing a high worm count in FEC. Vet said to go with levicide. How long do we leave them before we FEC again to check for resistance

yeah within a week every year i dose for all stages of fluke, used Endafluke this year. they are coming out of south kerry and west cork mountainous terrain so they would be eating and drinking around small pools and wet marsh and bog areas on the mountain. if i didnt dose they would be some dead by november 1st, id say some could have fluke 7-9 weeks in them so another 2-3 weeks they are going to be adult fluke and start damaging them big time.

next job is heptavac p plus all lambs . im going with one last load of by own before i do that. should have maybe 12-15 to go

• Advertisement

how do you go about actually taking a fecal sample id like to know for worm dose? how many sampples do i need?

Take about a tea spoon full from 10/12 lambs and put it into a zip locked/freezer bag. And leave it in with your vet.

I'd have them in the pen and just collect a few samples. Or in the corner of the field even.

Sorry can’t seem to rotate

They were dipped last Friday 1 September, dosed for all stages of fluke a few days before that, next vaccination heptavac P plus

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Murang

Still happy with Dan in Kenmare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Do you give mineral in dose or bolus, its amazing how much a lamb can thrive once wormed out fully, give minerals, good grass and a good dip. They look nice lambs, North West where I'm from love those Brokie type ewelambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Just watched Glyn Egan selling 170 lambs at Kenmare on YouTube.

Some amount of sheep going through the ring there.

Yeah hes a good guy, once you tell him what your looking for. overall hes very easy to deal with.

bought a batch of stores , would they need clikzin this time of the year ,don't have dipping bath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I wouldn't bother to be honest now looks like cooler and breezier weather from now on. Just have to make sure to keep a close eye if a warm humid spell came

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Country lad

this time if year usually spray some dip on them does the job for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

For animal welfare reasons I'd use a preventative rather than treating than treating maggots as they happen, also if you miss a case for only 24hrs this time of year, maggots do terrible harm

id use click if it were me, water it down a bit. you could have maggots in mid october

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

What’s the trade like? They seem dear but if you bought 30 kgs now you’d have fine hoggets by February

Do many here use mineral licks with the stores? Bought lambs from Kerry and wanted to give them the best chance.

I wouldn't use mineral licks if giving meal. I dose with cobalt but think meal should have enough of trace minerals.

What sort of money are stores making. I've horneys here from 35 to to 40 kgs and wondering if I should hold on to them till after Christmas and put them in a shed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Tileman

poor enough trade in baltinglass this morning. Not many makingbover the €100. Allot of light lambs 38kgs and mid 90s what they were making

I gave mine welmin licks ,find them the best and get time out of them unlike the molasses ones

Is the first feeder on top any good for feeding hoggets indoors? I’ve no ewes and have 60 in a shed. It’s the square one with a green hopper. Would they knock it over? Thanks

• Advertisement

I've that hopper in a shed feeding ram lambs ad lib. No problems with it. Find it holds a large amount of meal so they don't go empty

Advertisement