Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Tall Order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Week of 21st November

Monday - Unplanned rest day

Tuesday - 65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:11/Km, 139avg HR + 1 hour cycling commute

Wednesday - 65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:07/Km, no HR recorded.

Thursday - 60' easy - 9.5Km, 6:08/Km, 158avg HR + 1 hour cycling commute

Friday - 65' easy - 11Km, 6:01/Km, 136avg HR

Saturday - 2hrs easy - 21Km, 5:47/Km, 141avg HR

Sunday - Rest day

Mileage for the Week - 62.5Km

Mileage for the Year - 2,780Km

Legs were sore for a few days after RTL, the quads in particular. I took an extra rest day to assist recovery. By the time the 2 hour long run came around on Saturday, the legs felt great. A couple of trips in to the office gave me 2 hours of extra cardio with the added stress of cycling in Dublin city centre.

10 days out from Malaga Half. Have been reviewing the route a little this week. Larger "climb" from about 3Km which is about 80% of the ~50-100m total elevation. 2 bumps later in the route at 9Km & 17Km with a slight downhill finish from there. Not started the weather watch just yet but have a fair idea of what kit I will be wearing on the day.

I've been looking over pacing charts and very much unsure on how to approach it. Most of the races I have done this year have been hilly (Lap of the Gap, Comrades & Run the Line) with the exception of Docklands 5Km (22:30 - very hot) and then Marlay parkrun (24:30 - not all out but not far off) after recovering from Comrades. Based on those times, tinman calculator has me between 1:44 and 1:53. This will also be my first time not using carbon plates for this race distance so not sure how the legs will do without them. For 2019 (1:47:30) and virtual 2020 (1:42) I had the zoom fly flyknits but will going with my trusty Ghost 13/14 as they've worked for all of my other races this year and I don't want to start a carbon addiction.

Week of 28th November

Monday - 65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:01/Km, 133avg HR + Pilates (Mat beginners)

Tuesday - 65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:02/Km, 143avg HR + 1 hour cycling commute

Wednesday - 55' easy - 9.5Km, 5:53/Km, 142avg HR + Pilates (Reformer beginners)

Thursday - 45' runmute - 7Km, 6:01/Km, 149avg HR

Friday - 90' easy - 15.5Km, 5:48/Km, 141avg HR

Saturday - Jingle Bells 5Km - Chip time: 27:36, 5:31/Km, 168avg HR

Sunday - Rest day

Mileage for the Week - 59Km

Mileage for the Year - 2,815Km

An average week, just glad to get through the other side after several nights of poor sleep. Wednesday/Thursday should have been longer but had to cut them short due to time constraints. Friday's long run felt really comfortable and didn't notice the pace being slightly faster.

I signed myself and my 8 year old up to Jingle Bells 5Km a while back. He had got under 31 minutes at Poolbeg during the summer and having broke 10 minutes for junior parkrun a while after that, I knew there was a very good chance he could break 30 minutes. If anyone runs with young kids, you'll know the typical roller coaster of emotions that usually goes on. I have got to a place where distracting him by talking to him throughout the run works in keeping his mind off the running or heavy breathing. It was also his first race so he was very excited about the day. I kept ensuring him that he was going to have a great run and that he wouldn't be last. "I won't be last because I'm going to beat you" :) I'd gone over the route profile with him showing him that once we're through the 1st Km, most of the elevation is done.

We parked over in the visitors car park and kept the heat on in the car until we needed to get moving. Started walking over. Lots and lots of fabulous Christmas running gear on show. He was in awe at the sheer number of people. I think they sold about 1,500 tickets with just over 1,200 running on the day. I reassured him that he would end up overtaking a lot of people so not to worry about how many people there were. Down acres road and we briefly met @Laineyfrecks as she was warming up, looking fab in her Christmas gear. Down to the bag drop, off with the hats/gloves/jackets and off to the start line. "Dad, I'm cold"... freezing my nips off here lad but we'll be warm once we get moving. Over to the starting line and settled in pretty much near the back of the field.

1st Km - 6:14

Very very busy at the start, thankfully some space opened up for us to move through the field a little. Lots and lots of young kids running which was great for him to see that he wasn't alone. When we are running together, I often feel like I'm at a crufts dog competition barking instructions at them to navigate through gaps etc., this is no different. I was worried that we might get stuck in a bunch with no way to move around. Pace was very easy and no complaints from him thus far.

2nd Km - 5:48

Out on to Chesterfield and we start to get in to rhythm. A lot of space here to move up the field a little. He's moving well. Plenty going on around us so distracting him is easy. We spot the local fauna making a dash for Ordnance Survey road so I tell him we'll see them up closer as we move past the halfway point. He spots someone wearing a Ronaldo jersey (bleugh) and I give him the target to pass them. As he's a Liverpool supporter (bleugh), he takes on the challenge with gusto. he's enjoying seeing how many people are involved in the setup of the race (volunteers, gardai etc) who are all out to allow him to run on open roads.

3rd Km - 5:37

He's very comfortable. It is usually at this point he might start whinging about how long to go but he's been eyeing up the Km markers. Slowly but surely picking off people. There has been an elderly gent running slightly ahead of us for about 2Km. I pick up the pace to encourage the young lad to overtake this gent which we do... but the gent is having none of it. As quickly as we overtake him, he strides ahead of us. Without encouragement, the young lad picks up the pace and blasts past the gent making sure to not be re overtaken. He continues at this pace and faster until the end. He eyes the 3Km marker "Only a junior parkrun to go!" he shouts.

4th Km - 5:07

We're approaching the Furze road crossroads and I notice the wind pick up a little as trees thin out. I get him to stay behind me so shield him from it. I pick up the pace a tad as we go through the S bends. He keeps up without issue. The field has thinned out a little which is great as we approach the descent. I'm doing the mental maths and he's very much ahead of the sub 30 goal time. My aim now is to keep it steady until the end. He's getting a lot of cheers at this stage too which he's delighted with.

5th Km - 4:50

Slowly picking up the pace as we're descending. Lots of support and cheering as we're approaching the home straight. I'm encouraging as much as possible to move ahead of me. "Dad is going to win" finally gets him going. He moves ahead of me as we're passing through barriers at the final stretch and I am non stop encouraging him to keep going. He's defo feeling it at this stage but he keeps powering through. I see that the race clock is at 28:xx but when I get over the line I stop the watch (27:39... chip time 27:36) and he's smashed his PB by 4+ minutes. He is over the moon with his time and I am the proudest papa out there. We collect our mugs and we're informed that there are selection boxes and medals for all the younger participants.

Whilst it was great for him to get a PB, the purpose for this participation was to experience something new and to show him he can do difficult things when he puts his mind to it. I will defo get him signed up to a 5Km race earlier next year and drag him along to a parkrun over the Christmas period.

One week left until Malaga half. I have been ruminating over my race strategy for this and I've decided to be a little aggressive. It has been a while since I raced this distance but I think I can get somewhere in the low 1:40s. If the legs are capable, I don't want to leave time out there. Going to aim for 4:50/Km and take it from there. Travelling out on Friday before race day on Sunday. Plenty of time remaining to 2nd guess my plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done to your young fella - he's got a competitive streak anyway!

Best of luck in Malaga. The course profile would seem to suit a conservative start for the first few km, and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Was lovely to see you briefly & well done to your little lad, great to have them fit at a young age.

Very best of luck in Malaga😊

Week of 5th December

Monday - 45' easy - 7.5Km, 6:00/Km, 139avg HR + Pilates (Mat beginners)

Tuesday - 45' easy - 7.5Km, 6:01/Km, 137avg HR

Wednesday - 45' easy - 7.5Km, 5:54/Km, 133avg HR

Thursday - 45' easy with 20" strides * 5 - 7.5Km, 5:57/Km, N/Aavg HR

Friday - Travel to Malaga

Saturday - 30' easy - 5Km, 5:51/Km, 143avg HR

Sunday - Malaga Half - 1:44:54, 4:57/Km, 176avg HR.

Mileage for the Week - 57Km

Mileage for the Year - 2,864Km

A challenging week before I even set foot on a plane. Doing a week long course meant I was short on time to get taper runs completed. Due to the busyness of the course and excitement of race week, I'd completely forgotten that the Chicago lottery results were being dropped. I've gotten a place so I'm going to do that instead of DCM next year. It'll be my first major so I smiling all day with the good news. I will need to start booking flights/hotels soon. Wife is thrilled of course (not).

Travel on the Friday was tiring. A 5am start meant it was a long day. We were fortunate to depart as there was a lot of flight cancellations due to the icey conditions in Dublin. Arrived in to Malaga to torrential rain. We were staying near (<1Km) the start line so as the taxi drove us to the apartment, we noticed part of the route was covered in water. Not looking good for race day as similar conditions forecast.

Expo on Friday evening was a couple of Kms away so we decided to walk down. Number and t-shirt collect was swift. Grabbed some body glide to avoid chaffing due to the rain but didn't hang around. Exhausted by the time we got back. Slept like a log that night.

Saturday's shakeout run was pleasant. We covered the out and back to the port and a few extra Km. Remainder of the day was spent lazing about, only venturing out to get fed. Weather was dry so the flooding we experienced the day before was gone.

I'll do a full race report when I'm back in front of the laptop at home. Brief synopsis: light rain at the start, humidity was high, soaked in sweat after 3Km, heavy rain after 30-40mins, felt mostly good but pushed too early at ~15Km mark, paid for that in the following Kms. Race PB by 2:36. Tough day.

• Advertisement

Malaga Half Race Report

As we were very close proximity to the start line, we got up early to eat and then went back to bed for further rest. Got our gear on in addition to our fashionable bin bags to keep us dry. We arrived down to the starting area at about 8am. We got to the bag drop were they were handing out blue plastic bags to put your stuff in. I'd already put my bag sticker around the drawstrings of the expo bag. This would come back to bite me post race. At about 8:10 I take a maurten caffeine gel. I'd been suffering with stomach issues since arriving on the Friday (still am) so I got in line for the portaloos. Queues were very long, a half dozen more portaloos would have made a serious dent in the queues. Got sorted and got in to my pen with 2 minutes to spare. Off we went.

1st-5th Kms (4:58, 5:01, 5:08, 4:40, 4:44)

Start was congested, a lot of runners in the wrong waves. With a mixture of 1/2 and full running, that could explain some of it but there were people walking from the start that should have been at the back. The initial stretch is on a very wide road so there's a good bit of space to navigate the slower runners. It is also quite covered to the light rain isn't much of a factor for the first 2-3Km. What is a factor though is the humidity. I'm already drowned in sweat. At about 2Km, a slight drag begins. There's a wheelchair participant who is struggling a little with the change in elevation. Every runner that approaches from behind starts applauding him to encourage him up the drag. It is quite loud as you begin to get involved and hopefully motivated him to dig in. Runners are a great bunch :) At about the 2.5Km, we take a sharp right for the first of two hills on the half route. It lasts for about 200-300 metres for 2 sharp lefts and we're descending towards the sea. I pick up the pace on the downhill which will no doubt contribute to my downfall in the final stretch. Stomach has been gurgling a little, have held off making a pit stop but constantly 2nd guessing my decision on this. Feel comfortable despite the stomach issues. Plenty of local support despite the light rain.

6th-10th Kms (4:53, 4:58, 4:52, 5:00, 4:46)

As the descent finishes, we're pretty much entirely flat for this entire section and it is all coastal. I met a lad from Kerry along here who was struggling very early in the half. I hope you got to the finish ok! More support under umbrellas cheering us on. Not much surface water which is great though that will change later on. Around the 7th/8th Km, the clouds start unloading heavier rain on us. 9th Km sees us ascend up a little ramp as he we head out along the port road. This is an out and back section so plenty of support is being shouted from runners on both sides of the road. Keeping an eye out for my buddy (doing the full) here but I suspect he is long gone. The heavier rain has produced puddles along this stretch which most seem to be avoiding though I'm occasionally happy to run through them if I can overtake people. A little stretch of cobblelock as you approach the lighthouse on the in/out but it is not slippy or too bumpy so nothing to worry about. I take a maurten gel at around this point. I'd brought it with me as a backup and was nervous taking it due to the stomach gurgling away but it ended up being fine.

11th-15th Kms (4:41, 4:50, 4:51, 4:42, 4:46)

The 11th/12th Km sees us finish off the out/back along the port road. Plenty of room along here as the road has thinned out quite a bit. Unsure if I am running along side half or full runners as I'm not too familiar with the colour coding of the bibs. Most runners have them on the front anyway so hard to see too. Still comfortable at this point. Not for much longer. As the 13th Km approaches, were are again running along side the front runners. Still looking for my buddy but nowhere to be seen. This continues along the coast for this entire section. I'm feeling good. Feel like I have energy. Legs feeling ok. Mental maths has begun continue as is and I might get home in 1:43ish. I pick up the pace a little. Not raced this distance since 2019 so unsure if this is sustainable. it is not.

16th-20th Kms (4:53, 5:16, 5:05, 5:07, 5:15)

The little surge I did at about 14/15Km has me cooked. I continue on steady until about the 17th Km mark, when halfway through this Km we take a sharp turn for the second of our hills today. Tis a struggle up here and pace drops. When we get to the top, a sharp turn followed by a little descent. The descent has fooled me in to thinking my legs are back. A drag follows for a couple of Kms and I'm trying my best to keep the pace as close to 5/Km as I can. I'm just glad I remove HR from my data screens on the Garmin as it was sky high at this point. Around this point I start to get passed by a lot of people which is demoralising. Sometimes you're the zombie killer, others you're the zombie. Today I was a zombie. The roads verge once again and there's plenty of support once again from all runners. Have some pain in my left foot. It is not a show stopper but not something I have had before.

Finish (5:23, 5:21)

Huge amount of support along the road in the run in to the finish for the half. There's not going to be a sprint finish today. Mental maths has been thrown out the window. If I get in under 1:45 I'll be very lucky. Still being passed a lot. Grinding it out. 5/Km has gone and just hoping to keep a 5 as the first number on my pace field. As you approach the finish, there's a slight bend in the road and uphill to the finish. Joy. Try my best to push it a little which brings my pace down a little. Across the line and stop my watch at 1:45 on the button. I'm toast. I need to go lean on the temporary fences, much to the dismay of someone waiting for their loved one(s). At this very moment in time I am annoyed/pissed at the result.

Post race

Gather myself and walk up to grab my medal, some water and powerade. It is still raining heavily at this stage. I saunter down to the bag drop. They can't find my bag. I'm standing in the rain for the next 20-30 minutes as they search for my bag. They are kind enough to put an umbrella over me but I'm soaked as is so I just need to get warm. As they are still searching for my bag, they provide me with one of the ponchos they provided to volunteers. This helps a little. Back and forth with them as to how my bag looks, its size etc. Eventually they find it. I find a bench and before I get warm clothes, I ask a kind participant to take a photo. Warm clothes on and poncho over the top. Get to check my phone which was in the bag and I've come in at 1:44:54. Still feeling irked with the run. Stomach somehow held together. There's an alert on my phone to say my buddy has gone through the 30Km mark. As the weather was terrible, we had agreed to meet back at the apartment.

As I'm within 0.5Km of the apartment, I see a runner go by in the distance. it turns out that the route goes right by our apartment. I ask the marshal what point we are on the marathon route and he says 40Km. I check the official app, my buddy will be due within 10 minutes. As cold and wet as I am, I'm going to wait for him to cheer him on. I grab some snacks in the Carrefour beside me and a can of coke. He doesn't arrive at this expected time. He's had a tough final 1/3 of the race. Eventually he comes around the corner and I'm doing my best to motivate him to keep it going. I give him 1/2 of the can of coke as he runs and he's delighted with it. Send the video of him that I've recorded on to his Mrs and away to the apartment I go. With my hands so cold and wet, I can't get the apartment keys out of the little lock box outside, despite having the correct code entered. Try various angles, different hands/fingers for 5 minutes and nothing. I end up using my medal to open the thing. In to the apartment, glad the day is over.

Buddy gets back to the apartment. We get showered, dressed and out the door. The marathon route goes through central Malaga so we get seats in a bar and join the celebrations of runners who are still finishing for the next 90 minutes. Some of the runners in the 5-6 hour range look out on their feet. Some are being followed by cycling medical staff. The final few runners go by we go for a siesta and then back out later for more food/wine/cocktails. A great end to a horrid day.

Thoughts

Happy with the PB now. It was my first time racing the distance in non carbon shoes so I'm happy to beat my previous PB when I was wearing them. A great route. Considering coming back again for the half. Tis a nice finish to the year with little pressure to perform. The city has some great restaurants (Casa Lola being our favourite) and bars. Conditions let us down on the day with the rain and high humidity/dew point. No control over it so just have to get on with it. It was stupid to surge too soon. Plenty learned. I have a benchmark to start my training for next year. Enniscorthy 10Km in February up next. Couple of weeks of easy running around the holidays and then in to 10Km training block from 1st Jan.

Post edited by py on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Great report M and well done on grafting a nice PB in such unfavourable conditions.

I don't suppose the wheelchair athlete was this guy? I think he was doing his 500th marathon in Malaga.

Great read M, well again on your PB😊

Thanks D. I don't think that's them. I got the impression that this particular athlete was a local.

Thanks E. Becoming happier with the time as the days pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats on the PB in tough conditions.

I think the post-race bag fiasco followed by the lock box struggles would have tipped me over the edge after a difficult race!

Nice one on getting into Chicago - that is really one to look forward to with relish. A good few Boardsies did it this year so should be plenty useful information to glean from their experiences.

• Advertisement

I was bulling! :D

Week of 12th December

Monday - Rest/travel day

Tuesday - 25' easy - 4Km, 6:23/Km, N/Aavg HR

Wednesday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:14/Km, 160avg HR

Thursday - 65' easy - 11Km, 5:57/Km, N/Aavg HR

Friday - 90' easy - 15Km, 5:58/Km, 180avg HR (HR strap needs looking at)

Saturday - Unplanned rest day

Sunday - Unplanned rest day

Mileage for the Week - 37Km

Mileage for the Year - 2,901Km

An easy week after racing the prior Sunday. Plenty of running on grass due to the icy paths/roads. The long run on Friday was great, took in quite a bit of the Dodder pathway. I took the weekend off to recharge mentally/physically. We'd a busy family weekend so I ended up taking Saturday/Sunday off to try recharge mentally/physically and to consume some alcoholic beverages. I might hit my arbitrary annual mileage B goal of 3,000Km but not going to stress if I miss it. A lot of easy runs for next couple of weeks until I start back training in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Just catching up on your log here M. Well done in Malaga. Sounds like a tough day out. Great running from your son too in Jingle Bells. Very exciting about Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done on the PB in a tough marathon, reminded me of the old adage, 'have a plan and stick to it'. Sounds like a good race, and congrats on the Chicago lottery result.

Week of 19th December

Monday - 65' easy - 11Km, 5:57/Km, 138avg HR

Tuesday - 65' easy with 20" strides * 5 - 11Km, 5:49/Km, 133avg HR

Wednesday - 65' easy - 11.5Km, 5:46/Km, 139avg HR

Thursday - 100' easy - 17Km, 5:51/Km, 142avg HR

Friday - unplanned rest day, hangover of the century

Saturday - Dodder Valley parkrun + to/from - 13.5Km, 5:34/Km, 144avg HR

Sunday - Goal Mile with the boys - 11mins

Mileage for the Week - 66Km

Mileage for the Year - 2,967Km

Just churning out the remainder of the year. In retrospect, Saturday's run waa too quick as I've got a tight left calf now. Taking Monday/Tuesday off this coming week to rest it and then going to proceed with caution.

Got flights and accommodation sorted for Chicago. Now to get the training done.

Final days of 2022

Monday - unplanned rest day

Tuesday - unplanned rest day

Wednesday - 55' easy - 9Km, 6:11/Km, 134 avg HR

Thursday - 65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:02/Km, 146avg HR

Friday - 45' easy - 7.5Km, 5:53/Km, 149avg HR

Saturday - 35' easy - 6Km, 6:01/Km, 138avg HR

Mileage for the Week - 33Km

Mileage for the Year - 3,000Km

Tight calf felt fine by Wednesday so resumed some easy running. Got my COVID Booster on Thursday afternoon so felt a bit off the past few days so reduced duration but not too much to miss my mileage B goal of 3,000Km for the year.

2022 was a great year of running for me. It was the first in which I've run from 1st January until 31st December. I missed about 6 weeks throughout the year due to various issues (COVID, eye accident and injury/recovery).

2022 races

Lap of the Gap marathon - 4:24:08 (PB)

Docklands 5Km - 22:31 (PB)

Comrades - 11:38:26

Run the Line - 1:13:30 (PB)

Malaga Half - 1:44:54 (PB)

Whilst I feel my race PBs (old and new) are a little soft, it's still great to cross the finish line with a new PB. If training goes to plan (touch wood), I expect to get PBs across the board.

2023 races

February - Enniscorthy 10Km (booked)

April - Battle of Clontarf 10 mile (planned)

June - Waterford half (booked)

October - Chicago Marathon (booked)

November - Run the Line (planned)

I'll probably have 1 or 2 5Km races/Parkruns on the schedule as race efforts to evaluate fitness/race level.

Thanks for all the support throughout the year. Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress in 2023.

Got the year off to a good start on 1st January with my first visit to Corkagh parkrun. Took my eldest along. He wasn't feeling it but we got around and he's taken a step closer to his "10" milestone t-shirt.

Week of 2nd January

Monday - 65' easy with 20" strides * 5 - 11Km, 5:57/Km, 149avg HR

Tuesday - 65' easy - 11Km, 5:58/Km, 141avg HR

Wednesday

20' easy

15' @ 10 mile (4:50, 4:48, 4:44, 4:47)

5' easy

(1' @ 5Km, 1, easy) * 8 (4:19, 4:13, 4:30, 4:28, 4:30, 4:38, 4:24, 4:32)

20' easy 

14Km, 5:29/Km, 157avg HR

Thursday - 60' easy - 11.5Km, 6:02/Km, 137avg HR

Friday - 60' easy - 10.5Km, 5:47/Km, 139avg HR

Saturday

30' easy

20' @ 1/2 (4:53, 4:57, 5:05, 4:51, 5:07)

5' easy

10' @ 10 mile (4:46, 4:52, 4:34)

30' easy

17Km, 5:35/Km, 151avg HR

Sunday - junior parkrun tail walking

Mileage for the Week - 73Km

Mileage for the Year - 78Km

A mixed week to start the year. Managed to get through the easy runs and workouts but my PF flared up pretty bad. I've been stretching it and using three massage gun as much as possible which is easing it. My sleep was poor over the Christmas period which I think has contributed. Today was also first rest day in 12 days so that will hopefully help.

Both workouts went ok. Both days were windy though so it was tough at times to hit target pace. More of the same type of sessions coming up. Pilates starting back this week too.

Week of 9th January

Monday - 65' easy with 20" strides * 5 - 11Km, 5:52/Km, 142avg HR + Pilates (mat beginners)

Tuesday - 65' easy - 11Km, 5:57/Km, 147avg HR

Wednesday

20' easy

15' @ 10 mile (4:49, 4:48, 4:45, 4:28) - last section under trees so shouldn't have been that much change in pace

5' easy

(1' @ 5Km, 1, easy) * 12 (4:10, 4:15, 4:22, 4:25, 4:20, 4:24, 4:23, 4:37, 4:39, 4:21, 4:11, 4:13)

20' easy 

15Km, 5:33/Km, 157avg HR

Thursday - 65' easy - 11Km, 5:53/Km, 152avg HR

Friday - 65' easy - 11Km, 5:55/Km, 139avg HR

Saturday

30' easy

20' @ 1/2 (4:56, 4:47, 4:56, 5:25) - brief stop during the last few mins of this to allow parkrun to start

5' easy

15' @ 10 mile (4:46, 4:41, 4:39, 4:42)

30' easy

18Km, 5:35/Km, 154avg HR

Sunday - junior parkrun

Mileage for the Week - 79Km

Mileage for the Year - 158Km

A good week done. Paces on the sessions are manageable though the wind howling is certainly not helping. Perhaps the extra resistance will pay off come race time. First pilates session of the week and boy I felt my bore working hard during it and then for a few days afterwards due to the doms. A delay in the eldest's GAA returning meant I could get another parkrun in on Saturday. Slowly ticking towards that 50 milestone. I'm not sure I will get there this year but definitely by the end of 2024. Got down to Bushy Park and as per usual after bad weather, the course was in a state along the start/finish straight with mud/puddles. Timed my arrival almost to perfection so ended up standing about for 1-2 minutes but it resulted in my 2nd interval being part of the run. Felt fine until the interval was done and I trundled home only to have to get the boys out for a few hours so off to the Phoenix Park.

PF is still hanging about so I took a visit to the phsyio. Got it worked on which eased it a good bit. With the PF, I could have done with junior parkrun but the youngest was on 9 runs so very close to his first milestone. He's eager to get his first wrist band as he is a little jealous of the eldest's two. I have also promised him an official parkrun barcode wristband when he gets to 11 too.

4 weeks until Enniscorthy 10Km. I'm going to have a 5Km effort the week before so going to head to Royal Canal or Naas parkrun to get that done. Just waiting to see what the weather is like to decide which course to use.

Exploring employment opportunities at the moment. Always unsure whether to put hobbies/interests on CV but I added running on there a short while ago. In an interview during the week and got asked by someone based in the US about it. It turns out both of us got an entry to Chicago. One can only hope that he is putting an extra 10-20% on to any potential job offer to sweeten the deal for his fellow marathoner :D

Good luck with the employment search. Hope the PF behaves too. I had it back in 2019/2020. Somebody recommended special PF socks to me back then that I still wear all the time. They were Feetures and I got them on Amazon.

Oh thanks for that. I have been down a "pf sock" rabbit hole on google for the morning. I've ordered a "Strassburg sock" which appears to have quite good reviews and some research behind it.

• Advertisement

Week of 16th January

Monday - 65' easy with 20" strides * 5 - 10Km, 6:31/Km, 151avg HR

Tuesday - 60' easy - 10Km, 6:28/Km, 130avg HR

Wednesday

20' easy

2' on/off * 15 - (4:48, 4:50, 4:39, 4:33, 4:36, 4:49, 4:44, 4:36, 4:40, 4:37, 4:44, 4:32, 4:39, 4:20, 4:28)

20' easy 

17.5Km, 5:45/Km, 155avg HR

Thursday - 30' easy - 5Km, 6:12/Km, 140avg HR

Friday - Unplanned rest day

Saturday - 65' easy - 11.5Km, 5:54/Km, 145avg HR

Sunday - rest day

Mileage for the Week - 53Km

Mileage for the Year - 210Km

Not a planned step back week but almost looks that way due to a missed session at the weekend. Took it extra easy on the easy runs early in the week due to PF and there being frost everywhere. Wednesday's session was a tough one but got through it. Thursday's easy run was cut short due to time constraints. A poor night of sleep on Thursday and a full day of class on Friday meant I didn't have the energy/motivation/time to get out for Friday's easy run. Decided on an easy run for Saturday morning so I got out early to Tymon park for my easy run and took in the parkrun course at the end. I was on the fence whether to get out for the missed Saturday's session on Sunday but I decided against it. I'm trying to keep Sunday free for family stuff as much as possible so I kept to my word and meant it was a 5 day week. Not stressing over it.

PF still lingering. The pain is up/down at times. The "strassburg sock" I ordered arrived Thursday so I had it on Thursday/Friday night. This was likely the cause of my poor nights sleep on Thursday so I ended up just sticking it on if I was working/reading/watching TV. The massage gun is helping so I have begun to use that on the foot first thing in the morning. Very lightly just to get the blood moving around the foot. Less pain this way. Read/watched lots on the topic at this stage. Have some Kinesio tape arriving to see if taping it will help. It is not debilitating but I just want to get it mended asap.

3 weeks until Enniscorthy 10Km. Important session coming up this week with 3 * 10' @ 10Km which will give me a good idea of where I am at. Picked up the Brooks Hyperion Tempo on Friday so going to give them a run out for this and probably race day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Hey M.. as a previous sufferer from the dreaded PF, I feel your frustration on it.. I tried everything, including the sock too. If you feel the symptoms are not alleviating , I would put some serious consideration into taking a break from running while continuing PF exercises along with cycling etc. I know you don't want to hear that and im no physio but you could potentially be making it worse or kicking the break further down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

As someone who lost over 6 months to it I would endorse the suggestion of rest. Trying to manage it by continuously doing what I could running wise undoubtedly prolonged it. A few weeks off, lots of rolling the sole of the foot on a bottle of frozen water and wearing the brace/boot whenever I could eventually cleared it.

Thanks folks. That is my next step. If I can get to the 10Km race, my initial plan is to take a full week off and see where I'm at then. If I get there. Will know more after the next week. I know it's not something to take lightly.

Slept on it. Woke up with the usual foot pain. Have knocked it in the head for the time being. I want to get to Chicago and if I continue as is, I'm putting that in jeopardy. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Good luck with it! its such a head wrecker of an injury. I ran about 1 month too long with those symptoms and I have no doubt it prolonged it. I reiterate what was said above, that frozen water bottle was my friend too. It will clear and you will come back stronger so stay positive.

Sorry to read this but from the advice from the 2 lads I do think you are doing the right thing. None of us like not running but as you said Chicago is the main goal so keep your focus on that. The main thing is getting there! Keep the chin up🤗

You are doing the right thing. It’s very annoying the way it lingers on.

By the way, these were the socks I got when I started running again. https://therunhub.ie/products/feetures-plantar-sock

Week of 23rd January

Monday

65' easy with 20" strides * 5 - 11Km, 5:58/Km, 151avg HR (morning)

30 mins cycling (evening)

Tuesday - Nadda

Wednesday - 65' cycling

Thursday - Nadda

Friday - Nadda

Saturday - Nadda

Sunday - Nadda (there's a pattern evolving here....)

Mileage for the Week - 11Km

Mileage for the Year - 222Km

As stated a few posts back, I've knocked the running on the head until my PF is gone. I need to be able to wake up in the morning and have zero pain on that first step before resuming any running. This rules out the 10Km in Enniscorthy in 2 weeks. I did notice that the Battle of Clontarf has opened up so I'm going to register for that soon and hope for the best.

After a seriously lazy week, I've reopened my Zwift account so the plan is to keep the aerobic system ticking over. I am still going to try get outside on the bike but it is less fun in the cold/wet/windy weather we have during Winter.

• Advertisement

Since last entry I've managed a few cycles and a 1 mile run.

In terms of the PF issue, I have had a few days which were entirely pain free from the moment I woke up until I went to sleep. I could walk in bare feet which I was unable to do for the past 6-8 weeks. Pain resumed a few days afterwards. The pain at this stage is probably a 1 out of 10. It persists though. I did a test 1 mile run last week and there were no issues during it. No flare up the morning after either. Going to leave it a few more days before trying a run again. At this stage it feels like more of a mental challenge than a physical one.

Advertisement