Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Tall Order

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Week of 16th January

Monday - 65' easy with 20" strides * 5 - 10Km, 6:31/Km, 151avg HR

Tuesday - 60' easy - 10Km, 6:28/Km, 130avg HR

Wednesday

20' easy

2' on/off * 15 - (4:48, 4:50, 4:39, 4:33, 4:36, 4:49, 4:44, 4:36, 4:40, 4:37, 4:44, 4:32, 4:39, 4:20, 4:28)

20' easy 

17.5Km, 5:45/Km, 155avg HR

Thursday - 30' easy - 5Km, 6:12/Km, 140avg HR

Friday - Unplanned rest day

Saturday - 65' easy - 11.5Km, 5:54/Km, 145avg HR

Sunday - rest day

Mileage for the Week - 53Km

Mileage for the Year - 210Km

Not a planned step back week but almost looks that way due to a missed session at the weekend. Took it extra easy on the easy runs early in the week due to PF and there being frost everywhere. Wednesday's session was a tough one but got through it. Thursday's easy run was cut short due to time constraints. A poor night of sleep on Thursday and a full day of class on Friday meant I didn't have the energy/motivation/time to get out for Friday's easy run. Decided on an easy run for Saturday morning so I got out early to Tymon park for my easy run and took in the parkrun course at the end. I was on the fence whether to get out for the missed Saturday's session on Sunday but I decided against it. I'm trying to keep Sunday free for family stuff as much as possible so I kept to my word and meant it was a 5 day week. Not stressing over it.

PF still lingering. The pain is up/down at times. The "strassburg sock" I ordered arrived Thursday so I had it on Thursday/Friday night. This was likely the cause of my poor nights sleep on Thursday so I ended up just sticking it on if I was working/reading/watching TV. The massage gun is helping so I have begun to use that on the foot first thing in the morning. Very lightly just to get the blood moving around the foot. Less pain this way. Read/watched lots on the topic at this stage. Have some Kinesio tape arriving to see if taping it will help. It is not debilitating but I just want to get it mended asap.

3 weeks until Enniscorthy 10Km. Important session coming up this week with 3 * 10' @ 10Km which will give me a good idea of where I am at. Picked up the Brooks Hyperion Tempo on Friday so going to give them a run out for this and probably race day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Hey M.. as a previous sufferer from the dreaded PF, I feel your frustration on it.. I tried everything, including the sock too. If you feel the symptoms are not alleviating , I would put some serious consideration into taking a break from running while continuing PF exercises along with cycling etc. I know you don't want to hear that and im no physio but you could potentially be making it worse or kicking the break further down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

As someone who lost over 6 months to it I would endorse the suggestion of rest. Trying to manage it by continuously doing what I could running wise undoubtedly prolonged it. A few weeks off, lots of rolling the sole of the foot on a bottle of frozen water and wearing the brace/boot whenever I could eventually cleared it.

Thanks folks. That is my next step. If I can get to the 10Km race, my initial plan is to take a full week off and see where I'm at then. If I get there. Will know more after the next week. I know it's not something to take lightly.

Slept on it. Woke up with the usual foot pain. Have knocked it in the head for the time being. I want to get to Chicago and if I continue as is, I'm putting that in jeopardy. Thanks for the advice.

Good luck with it! its such a head wrecker of an injury. I ran about 1 month too long with those symptoms and I have no doubt it prolonged it. I reiterate what was said above, that frozen water bottle was my friend too. It will clear and you will come back stronger so stay positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Sorry to read this but from the advice from the 2 lads I do think you are doing the right thing. None of us like not running but as you said Chicago is the main goal so keep your focus on that. The main thing is getting there! Keep the chin up🤗

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You are doing the right thing. It’s very annoying the way it lingers on.

By the way, these were the socks I got when I started running again. https://therunhub.ie/products/feetures-plantar-sock

Week of 23rd January

Monday

65' easy with 20" strides * 5 - 11Km, 5:58/Km, 151avg HR (morning)

30 mins cycling (evening)

Tuesday - Nadda

Wednesday - 65' cycling

Thursday - Nadda

Friday - Nadda

Saturday - Nadda

Sunday - Nadda (there's a pattern evolving here....)

Mileage for the Week - 11Km

Mileage for the Year - 222Km

As stated a few posts back, I've knocked the running on the head until my PF is gone. I need to be able to wake up in the morning and have zero pain on that first step before resuming any running. This rules out the 10Km in Enniscorthy in 2 weeks. I did notice that the Battle of Clontarf has opened up so I'm going to register for that soon and hope for the best.

After a seriously lazy week, I've reopened my Zwift account so the plan is to keep the aerobic system ticking over. I am still going to try get outside on the bike but it is less fun in the cold/wet/windy weather we have during Winter.

• Advertisement

Since last entry I've managed a few cycles and a 1 mile run.

In terms of the PF issue, I have had a few days which were entirely pain free from the moment I woke up until I went to sleep. I could walk in bare feet which I was unable to do for the past 6-8 weeks. Pain resumed a few days afterwards. The pain at this stage is probably a 1 out of 10. It persists though. I did a test 1 mile run last week and there were no issues during it. No flare up the morning after either. Going to leave it a few more days before trying a run again. At this stage it feels like more of a mental challenge than a physical one.

Week of 24th April

Monday

(5' easy, 2' walk) * 5 - 5Km, 6:43/Km, 144avg HR

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday

(5' easy, 90" walk) * 5 - 5Km, 6:40/Km, 141avg HR

Thursday - Rest

Friday

Hike around Two/Three rock with some work colleagues. (morning)

50' cycling around Dublin suburbs/city to run some errands. (afternoon)

Saturday - Bushy Parkrun - 5Km, 5:46/Km, 156avg HR

Sunday 

Deerpark junior parkrun with the two boys. (morning)

100' Cycle through Stepaside/Enniskerry/Glencullen/Tibradden. (afternoon)

Mileage for the Week - 17Km

Mileage for the Year - 283Km

Parkrun on Saturday was first non stop 5Km since I knocked the running on the head late in January. Had my 8 year old with me to keep me distracted and to edge him closer to his 10 milestone t-shirt. I have been building towards this since start of April with workouts similar to those earlier this week. Zero pain throughout and zero pain this morning when I woke up. Last 3 months has been a physical and mental roller coaster. Beyond excited to get through Saturday and hopefully start building for later in the year. Not getting ahead of myself though. I need to monitor the PF each and every day. For now I will be doing easy runs every other day and will be a number of weeks before I attempt back to back running days. I have a host of foot and calf (gastro/soleus) strength/stretching exercises to continue to work on. I also need to shift the extra Kgs that have appeared over the past 3 months of relative inactivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Good to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Best of luck with the comeback.

Great to see the progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Delighted to see some progress! Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Few weeks to catch up on... 2nd time doing this as I accidentally hit refresh and a large post with most of my weeks went kaput.

Not a lot of activity this week. We were up north for the final celebration of our milestone birthdays so only managed a couple of runs this week. #NoKids

Week of 1st May

Wednesday

35' easy - 5.5Km, 6:10/Km, 149avg HR

Friday

35' easy - 5.5Km, 6:15/Km, 148avg HR

Mileage for the Week - 11Km

Feels good to have got out for 4 runs in a week. Some of the runs have felt like a struggle at times, even if they are just easy runs. Final week in work so made an effort to get in to the office to say goodbye to a few folks in person. Couple of weeks "break" after this.

Week of 8th May

Monday

35' easy - 5.5Km, 6:19/Km, 148avg HR

Tuesday - 80' cycle through Phoenix Park and the burbs.

Wednesday

35' easy - 5.5Km, 6:10/Km, 145avg HR

Thursday - Cycle commute to/from work.

Friday

45' easy - 7Km, 6:18/Km, 144avg HR

Saturday - Rest

Sunday 

45' easy - 7Km, 6:18/Km, 144avg HR

Mileage for the Week - 25Km

Another good week of running with the first back to back runs carried out since January. This was a great confident boost. I had a planned evening of MTB with a few friends on the Thursday. Everything going well up until the last downhill run when I overshot a turn and ended up tumbling along a berm... friend behind caught a little of it on his gopro. Ego bruised.

Week of 15th May

Monday - Rest

Tuesday

45' easy - 7Km, 6:22/Km, 133avg HR

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday

45' easy - 7Km, 6:25/Km, 141avg HR

50' of downhill MTB at The Gap in Glencullen

Friday

45' easy - 7Km, 6:25/Km, 144avg HR

Saturday - Rest

Sunday 

55' easy - 8.5Km, 6:25/Km, 131avg HR

Mileage for the Week - 29.5Km

Final week off before starting new job and lots going on so only 3 runs completed. Got some good runs in. Purposely trying to slow down, more effort needed on this front. Got the boys out volunteering at junior parkrun. We were off to Croke Park for the football match later that day (atrocious match) so didn't want to tire them out too much before we got there.

Week of 22nd May

Monday - Rest

Tuesday

55' easy - 8.5Km, 6:20/Km, 140avg HR

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday

55' easy - 8.5Km, 6:16/Km, 137avg HR

Friday

55' easy - 8.5Km, 6:22/Km, 132avg HR

Saturday - Rest

Sunday Rest/junior parkrun tailwalking

Mileage for the Week - 29.5Km

Mileage for the Year - 423Km

PF is coming along, though very slowly. I need to slow my runs down a little more which I will work on. Thoroughly enjoying being outside in the fresh air. I am feeling more and more confident about making the start line for Chicago though at this point my only goal will be to complete it. New job starting tomorrow so looking forward to getting back in to a daily routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great to see things continuing in a positive direction for you. Best of luck with the new job.

• Advertisement

Week of 29th May

Monday - Rest

Tuesday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:29/Km

Wednesday

55' easy - 9Km, 6:13/Km

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Rest

Saturday

Tymon parkrun - 5Km, 5:32/Km

Sunday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:09/Km

Mileage for the Week - 34.5Km

A good week. Really enjoyed the parkrun in Tymon. Had great company and I stretched the legs out afterwards. I've not included HR data for this and following weeks. HR strap has thrown up HR data that is way off so I'm in the process of returning it.

Week of 5th June

Monday - Saturday - Sick and on antibiotics :(

Sunday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:08/Km

Mileage for the Week - 10.5Km

2nd week in the new job and I was ill so couldn't take time off. Powered through it and managed to get to the weekend without any issue, except major fatigue. No running which was a bummer.

Week of 12th June

Monday - Rest

Tuesday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:21/Km

Wednesday

60' easy - 9.5Km, 6:27/Km

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Rest

Saturday

Bushy parkrun/75' easy - 12Km, 6:13/Km

Sunday

Corkagh 5 mile - Pacing 50' - 8.12Km, 6:10/Km - Chip time 50:02

Cycle out/back - 65' cycling

Mileage for the Week - 40Km

Good to be back at after almost a week off with illness. Heat this week was unbearable. Saturday's parkrun was crazy busy due to Marlay being off for a few weeks with the concerts. Should have went further afield.

A few weeks prior to this, there was a request for pacers for the Corkagh 5 miler which fell on Father's day so I threw my hat in the ring. Never done official pacing and was eager to do a good job for those who were running and for the person who put my name forward. Trickiest part before the start was figuring out how best to secure the 50m balloon so it wouldn't be too high/low etc. Managed to get that sorted. Other pacers were sound. Jim came over and said thank you and shook all of our hands. A gent.

I was really nervous about pacing. When you are racing for yourself, you worry about you, nothing else. I had a few people settle in behind once we picked our spot but once we got going I never really turned around in case it made me more nervous. I'd no idea how it was going to go but I knew the pace would be more than manageable. 1st/2nd Kms were ok but then we'd a drag on the R136 to content with. I always take it easy going uphills so if people wanted their 50', they'd had to be patient. I give a wave to the person responsible for my pacing duties. 3rd/4th Km saw us up the drag and past the start/finish area. We got through the 2nd mile marker pretty much bang on time. A few hundred metres past this marker and we saw the winner coming around the final bends... we were almost halfway through our race. 5th/6th Km tick off just fine. As we're going through the more wooded areas, I'm reeling in the balloon in/out behind my back so it doesn't get popped by the low hanging branches. The heat at this stage has risen a few degrees. The 7th Km brings a drag back up to the cycling track where the start/finish area is. Some people are really struggling here. There is zero breeze to ease their struggle. As we reach the entrance, the noise from fans/finishers ramps up. The support is great. We can see the finish line but we have to loop around the cycle track to get there. We're exposed without tree cover, without wind and the sun is beating down. As we passed each of the mile markers we were within a couple of seconds of overall target pace. Approaching the line and my pacing partner and I are given a shout out over the loudspeaker for our pacing duties and also for being the only pacing team to come with 2 balloons in tact. :D Cross the line and am really happy with getting home within a few seconds of the planned time. An enjoyable experience and one I would be happy to do again.

Post edited by py on

Fair play pacing & having your balloon in tact😉I would be a nervous wreck but I'm sure the feeling of getting people their target time is amazing 😊

Week of 19th June

Monday - Rest

Tuesday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:28/Km

Wednesday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:21/Km

Thursday

90' Cycling

Friday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:11/Km

Saturday - Rest

Sunday

90' easy - 14Km, 6:23/Km

Mileage for the Week - 34.5Km

Mileage for the Year - 506Km

Bit of a mixed week. The easy runs early in the week felt fine. Then a few beers with the lads on Thursday resulted in a poor nights sleep which meant I struggled a little during Friday's run. The 90' easy was scheduled for Saturday but the PF wasn't playing ball. A wine fuelled street party on Saturday day and evening meant I struggled further during Sunday evening's 90' easy run. Glad to get that done as it is the longes run since mid January.

Week of 26th June

Monday - 40' easy

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:23/Km

Thursday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:18/Km

Friday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:31/Km

Saturday - Rest

Sunday

100' easy - 16Km, 6:15/Km

Mileage for the Week - 52Km

Mileage for the Year - 558Km

Added an extra run to make it 5 days for the week and also passed 50Km in a week - neither of these done since early in the year. Slowly but surely working through PF. Just under 100 days until Chicago and feeling excited about the trip and a little about the running. The longer easy run felt good throughout. The PF was irritating me a little afterwards and all throughout the Dubs match afterwards but it didn't put a dampener on the day. Woke up yesterday morning and it felt fine.

Just under 100 days until Chicago. I'm excited about the trip and a little about the running. I've got my first attempt at a session (progression run) this week so that will give me an idea on if I'll be able to push things moving forward. 2 month follow up appointment today with physio and will get shockwave treatment when I'm there. Over the past month, I have been removing the reliance on the orthotics and walking/running in my normal runners. I have been mostly sticking to the Saucony Ride and Endorphin Speed/Pro along with Mizuno wave Rider. The Brooks Ghosts aren't all that great with support with the PF so I've not been using them for much except walking.

Week of 3rd July

Monday

50' easy - 7.5Km, 6:39/Km followed by ~25mins S&C

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday

25' easy, 20' progression, 20' easy - 11Km, 5:55/Km

Thursday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:19/Km

Friday - Rest

Saturday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:31/Km followed by ~40mins S&C

Sunday - Unplanned Rest

Mileage for the Week - 39Km

Mileage for the Year - 597Km

An ok week. Planned shockwave therapy session last Tuesday got cancelled last minute to so that will happen tomorrow. The progression run on Wednesday went well though the top end of Dodder park is not ideal as it is hilly and exposed. Will get to Bushy/Marlay park for those sessions in future. Missed yesterday's 100' easy run due to prior commitments.

I've been doing a small amount of strength work for my PF but I wanted to do a more rounded program for the upcoming marathon block. I signed up to the Running Buddy app which @Kellygirl has recommended before. 2 sessions in and going well. 2nd session was longer than expected as I didn't view the video tutorials prior to starting. All body weight stuff for now. Just need to see if I can work in 3 sessions per week moving forward.

13 weeks until Chicago.

Week of 10th July

Monday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:26/Km

Tuesday

20' easy, 20' @ 10mile, 20' easy - 10Km, 5:54/Km

(5:19, 5:25, 5:22, 5:20) - Keeping my times conservative as I'm not sure where race pace is for any distance right now. This will continue until after Chicago.

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:15/Km

Friday - Rest

Saturday

55' easy - 9Km, 6:25/Km including bushy parkrun with the eldest lad.

Sunday

110' easy - 17.5Km, 6:14/Km

Mileage for the Week - 57Km

Mileage for the Year - 654Km

I was chasing my tail a little for the week so no S&C this week but got all the runs done. As I haven't raced since early December and still working through PF, I am unsure where my race paces are at the moment so I took a conservative approach with the 10 mile pace interval on Tuesday. Between the session and then shockwave treatment later in the day, I took Wednesday off due to sensitivity around the heel.

Was great to be back at Bushy parkrun. As Marlay opened back up after the concerts, the numbers at Bushy were back to normal. Brought the eldest along as he makes a little push for his 10 milestone t-shirt before the end of the summer. He picked up his 10 volunteer milestone as we tailwalked at Marlay juniors on Sunday.

Long run on Sunday was enjoyable. A small shower about midway through but it held up for the remainder. Twas quiet all along the dodder until after Bushy park so a nice way to finish it out.

Week of 17th July

Monday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:21/Km, 132avg HR & 30 mins S&C

Tuesday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:28/Km, 139avg HR

Wednesday

20' easy, 20' @ 10mile, 5' easy, 10' @ 10 mile, 20' easy - 13Km, 5:47/Km, 143avg HR

1st round: 5:18, 5:22, 5:13, 5:18

2nd round: 5:18, 5:09

Thursday - Rest

Friday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:20/Km & 30 mins S&C

Saturday

110' easy - 17.5Km, 6:15/Km, 140avg HR including Marlay parkrun with the eldest lad.

Sunday - Rest

Mileage for the Week - 61Km

Mileage for the Year - 715Km

Warranty replacement for my Garmin HRM strap arrived the prior week so good to have reliable HR data available again.

Legs felt very heavy on Tuesday after the easy run so went back to using some bath salts and did some foam/sliotar rolling. This worked well and woke up on Wednesday raring to go for the planned session. Between the midweek session and the long run at the weekend, things are going well and no deteroration with my PF with the added training load.

11 weeks until Chicago. We got sent our corral for the marathon and I'm in the 3:40-3:50 wave so I'm going to be adjusting that down to a corral in the 4:00-4:20 range to keep things realistic. Registered for the Chicago 5Km the day before to use as a Shakeout run.

Week of 24th July

Monday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:18/Km, 131avg HR

Tuesday

20' easy, 20' @ 10mile, 5' easy, 15' @ 10 mile, 20' easy - 13.5Km, 5:51/Km, 142avg HR

1st round: 5:24, 5:23, 5:19, 5:18

2nd round: 5:17, 5:16, 5:25

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:29/Km, 130avg HR

Friday

120' easy - 19Km, 6:18/Km, 136avg HR

Saturday

60' easy - 10Km, 6:11/Km, 138avg HR including Marlay parkrun.

Sunday - Rest

Mileage for the Week - 63Km

Mileage for the Year - 778Km

Week started off poorly with PF flaring up. I've a number of potential causes that I need to test out this week. It was either a change of runners for Monday's easy run, doing Tuesday's session too early in the morning or combination of both. It threw my week off a fair bit and whilst I got through the runs, it put me on the back foot a little. Missed S&C as felt I should rest it... when S&C is what I need. I had another shockwave treatment on the Tuesday so my foot was already sensitive from the flare up the day before and then additionally after the session that morning. I was not able for much intensity from the machine so not sure how much benefit I got from it. Apart from the PF, the legs feel like they are able for more though I am keeping things conservative so that I reach Chicago.

Moved the long run to Friday as we were heading out out on Saturday evening so I wanted to make sure I got a good night sleep after it as opposed to doing the long run, hitting the sauce hard and getting poor sleep/recovery. Long run felt fine all the same. Comfortable throughout and enjoying the longer runs more and more. No PF issues at this stage of the week so I am hopeful the week ahead will be better from that pov.

Got out marshalling for junior parkrun having decided to get home on one of the last buses on Saturday evening. The youngest crossed the line for to finish out his marathon milestone. Wristband collection and post run treats are scheduled for next Sunday morning.

10 weeks until Chicago. I am back to my normal physical therapist tomorrow for a massage to work out several months worth of knots/kinks in the legs. Expecting a lot of grimacing/wincing during it.

• Advertisement

Week of 31st July

Monday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:39/Km, 127avg HR

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday

20' easy, 20' @ 10mile, 5' easy, 20' @ 10 mile, 20' easy - 14.5Km, 5:49/Km, 144avg HR

1st round: 5:23, 5:22, 5:08, 5:11

2nd round: 5:13, 5:10, 5:15, 5:26

Thursday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:15/Km, 134avg HR + 22mins S&C (same circuit, just don't have to watch the tutorials anymore so tis quicker)

Friday

130' @ ~PMP - 22Km, 5:54/Km, 147avg HR

Saturday

60' easy - 10Km, 6:23/Km, 141avg HR including Bushy parkrun.

Sunday - Rest

Mileage for the Week - 67Km

Mileage for the Year - 845Km

Easy runs were fine this week, with the exception of Saturday's outing which had a huge amount of surface water around the duck pond in Bushy park and the 8/9 pints had the night before 🙈 Wenesday's session was probably a little fast though felt good throughout and no issues with PF before/during/after. Moved the long run to Friday as there were scheduled pints for Friday so I knew getting out for it on Saturday/Sunday would be tough. Felt good throughout though it was quite warm. Covered about 10Km of DCM route as well as some drags/hills beyond the turn off for Roebuck Road. Today is a rest day but got the youngest out to collect his marathon wrist band at junior parkrun.

9 weeks until Chicago. I think I have all logistics sorted at this stage. I just need to keep ticking off the runs whilst looking after the PF. We are off to Tenerife for 10 days from today. I am not sure if I am more worried about running the hills or in the high temperatures. My wife has almost finished C25K. I got some good gift suggestions for when she's finished from the 2019 DCM grads but open to more if people have ideas.

Week of 7th August

Monday - Rest

Tuesday

60' easy - 8.5Km, 6:50/Km, 135avg HR

Wednesday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:11/Km, 152avg HR

Thursday - Rest

Friday

60' easy - 8.5Km, 6:58/Km, 136avg HR

Saturday

65' easy - 9.5Km, 6:54/Km, 132avg HR

Sunday - Rest

Mileage for the Week - 37Km

Mileage for the Year - 883Km

Decided to take a step back week after seeing nothing but hilly terrain around where we're staying. Heat is another factor, along with the sangria 🤤 Back later this coming week so looking forward to getting the sessions and long runs back on track.

8 weeks until Chicago.😃

Week of 14th August

Monday - Rest

Tuesday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:37/Km, 134avg HR

Wednesday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:16/Km, 136avg HR + 20' S&C

Thursday - Rest

Friday

20' easy, 20' @ ~5:10, 5' easy, 20' @ ~5:10, (5' @ ~5:05) * 2, 20' easy - 18.5Km, 5:47/Km, 140avg HR

1st: 5:28, 5:13, 5:12, 5:17

2nd: 5:15, 5:13, 5:07, 5:07

3rd: 5:03

4th: 5:02

Saturday

30' easy at Waterstown Parkrun - 5Km, 6:22/Km, 123avg HR

Sunday

140' @ PMP - Km, 5:56/Km, 141avg HR

Mileage for the Week - 67Km

Mileage for the Year - 950Km

Glad that week is over. The easy runs earlier in the week were the last of the hot hilly runs in Tenerife. Travelling home on Thursday, I knew I wouldn't get out for the midweek session that day so had it pencilled in for Friday. Misread the plans for the run and ran 20' for the 2nd interval instead of 10'. Only noticed on Sunday morning. The legs were hanging off me on Saturday morning and the pints the night before didn't help either. Between the legs barking, a slight hangover and a whining 8 year old, I decided against running to/from Tymon/Bushy parkrun. We drove out to Waterstown parkrun which was quiet due to FD10. A lovely parkrun but the given my legs, I was not appreciate of the lumps in it. Young lad delighted with beating his old man once again.

Legs were still not 100% prior to the long run on Sunday. It was warm too. Got through it but felt every lump/bump throughout. Rest day tomorrow. I'll get the legs stretched/rolled to help them recover.

PF update - still progressing positively at a very slow rate. It will flare up a little after a session/long run but the next morning it will be fine. I am able to do some barefoot walking without pain which is another indicator that it is healing. Still very vigilant with it though.

7 weeks until Chicago. I did sort a change of corral a few weeks back. Dropped down to the 4:10-4:20 corral. I will need to see how the next 1-2 weeks go after this week's struggle. I'll know then if it is a realistic target. This would actually be in official PB range (virtual of 4:09) after the 4:24 at Lap of the Gap last year but time will tell whether that will happen or not. Friday night was the last of the scoops too. Need to focus on rest/recovery/diet until the race is done. PF really has scuppered race plans/goals this year but delighted to be running consistently and even more so to be heading to the windy city.

Post edited by py on

Week of 21st August

Monday - Rest

Tuesday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:16/Km, 136avg HR

Wednesday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:17/Km, 132avg HR

Thursday

20' easy, 20' @ ~5:10, 5' easy, (5' @ ~5:05) * 4, 20' easy - 17Km, 5:46/Km, 148avg HR

1st: 5:17, 5:15, 5:14, 5:06

2nd: 5:05, 5:06, 5:03, 5:05

Friday - Rest

Saturday

70' easy with Dodder Park Parkrun - 12Km, 5:55/Km, 123avg HR

Sunday

150' @ PMP - Km, 5:57/Km, 137avg HR

Mileage for the Week - 74Km

Mileage for the Year - 1024Km

Tough start to the week. The previous week's condensed schedule meant the aches I had on the weekend were still lingering early in the week. Took Monday as a rest day. After the easy run on Tuesday, my right hip and both hammys were still very tight so I setup a physio appointment later in the day. The niggles felt better the following day and for the rest of the week. Midweek session went ok over in Bushy Park. It's a great park but too busy for sessions due to all the dog walkers. I'm going to get back to using Marlay from this week coming.

A miscalculation on how long it would take to get to parkrun meant I had to pick up the pace a little to get there on time. This may have played a part in the tired legs during Sunday's long run. Not my first time at Dodder Park Parkrun but first time doing the latest iteration. Great to see the sanctuary runners out in force. Probably a little busier than the last time I was here but Bushy being off probably had a part to play in that.

Sunday started off with marshalling duty at junior Parkrun in Marlay. Fortunately I'd brought the umbrella so stayed dry. Got home and quickly changed to get out for the long run. Set off for Sandyford, over to Rock Road and down through Ballsbridge until I hit the canal. Along the canal until I get to Rathmines Road. Head up through Rathmines, Rathgar and Terenure before hitting home. Nice loop of south Dublin. Legs were feeling it for the last 5Km. May have been as a result of the speedier pace the day before but managed to finish it out. This run put me over the 1,000Km mark which was a good milestone to hit for the year that's in it.

6 weeks until Chicago. My Airbnb cancelled during the week so I'd a stressful few hours trying to find something suitable close to CTA lines. Ended up costing me a few hundred more 😩 Chicago has started clamping down on short term lettings so fingers crossed this one is ok.

Week of 28th August

Monday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:25/Km, 125avg HR + 20' S&C

Tuesday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:26/Km, 123avg HR

Wednesday

20' easy, (5' @ ~5:05, 3' easy) * 8, 20' easy - 18Km, 5:47/Km, 140avg HR

5:06, 5:00, 5:05, 5:02, 5:01, 5:03, 5:09, 5:05

Over to Marlay for this as the paths are quieter than bushy for intervals. Felt comfortable throughout.

Thursday - Rest

Friday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:21/Km, 129avg HR

Saturday

160' @ PMP - 27Km, 5:59/Km, 144avg HR

Ran to/from phoenix park and did a loop of the park. It started off cool but when the heat kicked in I started to feel it. Grabbed some water at about the two hour mark and felt better for doing so. A Maurten 320 over the first hour and then a Maurten 100 at 90' and 120'.

Sunday - Rest

Mileage for the Week - 75Km

Mileage for the Year - 1100Km

DCM looking less likely to happen now. The person I was due to pace is injured so can't see it happening. Will know for sure in the next week or two. It'll give me a bit more time to recover before Run the Line if I'm not running it.

Been glued to FIBA world cup all week to see who is going to qualify for the Olympics next year as we've got tickets for the last group games in Lille. Some great games with a few shock results thrown in to mix things up.

5 weeks until Chicago - started to do more research on where to eat/drink/visit when I'm there. A couple more long runs to get under belt and I'll feel confident of getting through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's stressful about the airbnb alright. Hate that kind of carry-on. I always have an alternative booking via booking.com that I cancel at the last minute (unless needed, which luckily it never has been).

Hopefully Chicago dining etc has settled down since last year - things were still pretty chaotic post-covid with very heavy bookings everywhere - we struggled to find good meals, and the coffee everywhere was surprisingly shite too! It's a great town though - I'd recommend doing one of the river tours the day after the race, good recovery activity.

Best of luck with the run-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Actually this one, where a group of us had our Saturday evening pasta top up was pretty good. We had pre-booked.

https://quartinoristorante.com/

Week of 4th September

Monday

70' - 10Km, 6:55/Km, 125avg HR + S&C

Parked at Kilmashogue lane car park and ran up towards Three Rock. Got 3 laps around Three Rock and back to the car. Enjoyable hilly run, even in the heat.

Tuesday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:25/Km, 126avg HR

Usual easy run along the Dodder park paths.

Wednesday

28' easy, (4' @ ~5:05, 3' easy) * 10, 20' easy - 20Km, 5:55/Km, 145avg HR

5:11, 5:03, 5:00, 5:04, 5:04, 5:03, 5:00, 5:00, 5:03, 5:02

Another trip up to Marlay for the midweek session. Felt comfortable for the most part but the heat started to pick up halfway through.

Thursday - Rest day

Friday - unplanned rest day

Poor night's sleep the night before so wasn't feeling great. Had the gear on whilst dropping the boys to school. Dropped the youngest off and just decided I wasn't running so I walked home. A rare DNS running day.

Saturday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:24/Km, 124avg HR

Youngest had GAA so I ran to/from/during it.

Sunday

3hrs @ PMP - 30Km, 6:00/Km, 138avg HR

Out at 6:30am and it was foggy for the first two hours. Breathing was very laboured for that period but HR was normal. I'd planned to pick up water at the Maxol beside the lock at Lucan but it was closed when I got there just after 8am so I trundled on. Nice run along the canal from there until Bluebell when I turned for home. Maurten 320 mix for the first hour, Maurten 160 gel at 90' followed by Maurten 100 gel at 120'/150'.

Mileage for the Week - 80Km

Mileage for the Year - 1180Km

4 weeks until Chicago - feeling more confident after the 3 hour run this morning. I've the same again next week though I'm hoping for more favourable running conditions to build more confidence. Got my ESTA approved during the week so that's another item ticked off the list.

• Advertisement

Week of 11th September

Monday - Unplanned rest day

Sunday's early morning 3hr run and then later that evening traipsing to the Aviva for another tough watch had me wiped out so I took the day off.

Tuesday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:21/Km, 121avg HR

Wednesday

20' easy, (3' @ ~5:00, 3' easy) * 10, 20' easy - 17Km, 5:57/Km, 133avg HR

5:06, 5:05, 5:09, 5:00, 4:58, 5:01, 5:01, 4:57, 4:51, 4:55

Needed to be close to home so Bushy was the best option to get this done. The session was going fine until I nearly stood on a baby robin, dodged it through changing my gait but clipped its wing as it flew off... I think its ok... not quite as friendly to birds as @Lambay island 🤣 Finished out the session and was on the way home on my cool down when I came across an old lady on the ground having had a fall. A number of us helped her up to the seat on her walker and she was ok in the end. No major scrapes having fallen on to the grass verge. A couple of women stayed behind as the fire bridge were on their way to help her get home. Balance restored to my karma.

Thursday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:32/Km, 121avg HR

This felt awful. It was late in the evening, diet was poor all day, wasn't wearing plated shoes... I could go on with excuses. Only positive is that my PF didn't flare up whilst not wearing non plated shoes.

Friday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:10/Km, 137avg HR

12 hours later, this easy run was great. Threw in a few 5 second strides to see how they went. All good.

Saturday

3hrs @ PMP - 30Km, 5:59/Km, 138avg HR

Same route as last week. A bit easier with temperatures being lower but the rain was constant throughout. Maurten 320 for the first hour, Maurten 160 gel at 90', Maurten 100 gels at 120'. Recovery before and after this was really poor so noticed that the legs were heavy getting out today for my easy run so kept it shorter than usual.

Sunday - Rest day

Mileage for the Week - 78Km

Mileage for the Year - 1258Km

3 weeks until Chicago - Feeling ok about race day. A little bit of self doubt has sunk in and I am thinking the 4:10-4:15 might be optimistic. Might be just usual race nerves, will see how this weekend's long run goes. Medal was launch today and it is much nicer than the DCM WB Yeats medal 😜

Great to see a lot of novices and veterans from around these parts have great runs in Dublin Half and Berlin marathon. Congrats to everyone that ran.

This week was a bit of a sh!tshow on all fronts so not a lot of positivity here.

Week of 18th September

Monday - 35' easy - 10Km, 6:21/Km, 121avg HR

Previous Friday/Saturday night out caught up with me so took it handy and got the run done. Had physio later that morning to get the legs a freshen up.

Took the 2 boys up around Lough Bray later that evening which was enjoyable but I came away with massive knot in my right quad. Used the massage gun on it that evening which eased it a little.

Tuesday

65' easy - 10Km, 6:23/Km, 127avg HR

A nice run down through Nutgrove, Churchtown and back up along the dodder.

Wednesday

Planned: 20' easy, (2' @ ~4:55, 2' easy) * 15, 20' easy

Got the 20' easy warm up done and when I got to through the first few reps the quad was at me quite a bit. When I got to the 5th rep, I pulled the plug. Just not worth it this close to race day. As soon as I stopped I was on to the physio for an appointment the next day.

Thursday - Rest day

Physio appointment to get the quad worked on. He said we could jump to needling if I wanted but stuck to manual maniuplation for this week. If it persists into next week I'll get the dry needling done.

Friday - Unplanned rest day

Physio told me to take this day off.

Saturday

65' easy - 10.5Km, 6:04/Km, 139avg HR including Bushy parkrun

Quad felt good throughout. PF flared up which I was quite concerned about it. Things had been progressing in the right direction up until this. Out later that night to the local GAA club to watch the rugby with friends.

Sunday - Unplanned rest day

Between the PF flared up and the hangover, I cried off. Not my best decision but not feeling excited by running right now. Should have been 2 hours easy/PMP. PF felt better later in the day so feeling a little better from that side of things.

Mileage for the Week - 32Km

Mileage for the Year - 1290Km

No S&C this week either. A poor week of running when I was hoping that it would be an esccape. I hadn't mention it last week as I was hoping the "process" would be complete but between paperwork/bureaucracy it has been dragging out. The gent that was found deceased in Spain the previous week was a friend who was on holidays with our group of friends. I had opted out of the trip due to Chicago marathon which I see as a blessing in disguise. Our friends that were over with him have been through an unthinkable experience so those that didn't travel have been rallying around them at coffee meetups during the week and pinting on the weekends. The repatriation has been dragging out and taking its toll on the family. Fingers crossed that he will be home early/mid this upcoming week so we can give him a fitting send off.

2 weeks until Chicago - looking forward to the trip from an escapism pov. Not excited where my running is at right now so just hoping to get through it and then get excited about Run the Line.

Very sorry to hear about your friend. I didnt know him but know a couple of people who did. Puts an awful lot of things in to perspective. Hope you have the send off he deserves.

That's so tragic & awful for all involved, it's hard to even digest anything before your loved one is laid to rest. Hopefully it's not drawn out too much longer. Take care of yourself🤗

Thanks D. He was a great lad and I'm not surprised that the degrees of seperation are that close. He was well known and liked. A fantastic send off for him yesterday.

Thanks E. It is not something that I feel will ever be normalised in this lifetime, regardless of whether it is a friend or family member.

Post edited by py on

• Advertisement

Post edited by py on

Week of 25th September

Monday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:21/Km, 131avg HR

Nice run over one of my regular routes. Another hike later in the day up in Cruagh woods. Stuck to the gravel paths this week to avoid any unneeded rocky terrain after the previous week's quad issue. Planning on doing the same for the upcoming week.

Tuesday

20' easy, (1' @ ~4:52, 1' easy) * 20, 20' easy - 13Km, 6:01/Km, 138avg HR

Wet and windy session. I won't list out all the intervals but I was on target for the vast majority of them with a couple too quick and one being far too long as I wrestled with my inability to program my watch to match what the workout should have been. 🙄 Positive is that I felt comfortable throughout with no niggles to report.

Wednesday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:33/Km, 128avg HR

Busy day ahead so had to get out at 5:30am so the wife could get out for her run upon my return. She has done her C25K and I have signed all of us, except for the 5 year old, up for Jingle Bells in December.

Thursday - Rest day

Friday - 65' easy - 10Km, 6:24/Km, 127avg HR

I had my day planned out to get my run done, prep for Chicago and a few other things but it all went tits up when my eldest face planted off his scooter as we got a few minutes out the door on the way to school. Got him home and patched up but opted to have him at home for the day to keep an eye on him. He's grand now. A little shook up at the time. Playing his switch for most of the day kept his mind off his injuries. I'd to get to my buddy's wake and then had an hour of basketball coaching to get done so it was quite late in the day when I got out for the run. Only thing I took away from the run was that I still hate running late in the day.

Saturday

90' PMP - 15Km, 5:55/Km, 139avg HR

Another busy day so another early start getting out at 6:30am. No fuel beforehand or during. Felt good throughout. Minimal traffic out so I ran on the roads when possible. Buddy's funeral later that day so it was a very tough run from a mental perspective. He got a great send off at the church, burial and afters. Pints flowed, stories were told and plenty of embraces occurred. There is a lot to be said for having great family/friends when the proverbial hits the fan.

Sunday - Rest day

Mileage for the Week - 59Km

Mileage for the Year - 1349Km

Delighted to have survived the week physically and mentally. The routine is shot with all the early mornings and late nights so I was glad to get all the runs completed. Quad issue from the prior week has not reappeared. PF still a little niggly at times but putting that down to late nights and poor sleep as a result of pints being consumed. Proper sleep/rest/hydration is the focus of the upcoming week.

1 week until Chicago - Quite a bit of action on the marathon's social pages this week has the race buzz slowly growing inside of me. I have been keeping an eye on the r/ChicagoMarathon subreddit and listening to various podcasts on the race. A few posts last week about weather had the temperatures in the low 20s and humid. Today we're seeing it being forecasted as high single digits with some wind. I'll hold any judgement until a few days out and just pack race gear for all possible outcomes. Flying out Thursday. Have been loading a lot of TV and movies on to the tablet, books on to the kindle and some games on to my very old Nintendo DS. Just want to keep as busy was possible when on idle on the airplane and also at the AirBnb. I am going to head to the expo on Friday morning and perhaps a few other places though I hope to keep the step count as low as possible.

Week of 2nd October - Race week 🤩

Monday - Rest day

Picked up a last few items that I needed and sorted most of the packing. Also a final sports massage too.

Tuesday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:12/Km, 128avg HR + 24' S&C

Easy run in Dodder park after the school drop. Last pre race S&C session afterwards.

Wednesday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:20/Km, 133avg HR

Up early to get this done as last minute prep and work meetings to work through.

Thursday - Rest/Travel day

Long day of travel. No flight delays thankfully. Plenty of marathoners and their cheer crew on the flight. We got wished good luck by the air hostess over the tannoy as we were descending. Once in Chicago airport you start to see more and more marathoners. How do you know they are marathoners? Marathon finisher apparel from around the globe is worn. The funky coloured runners from every brand you can think of. Quick chat with runners from Sweden, UK and Germany. Plenty of us were having problems with the CTA machines to get train ticket. Bring cash for this if you ever plan on attending.

After getting off at my train stop, there was an Olive Garden right outside so I grabbed food as I didn't eat on the plane. I think my dinner the day before the race will be here. Not fine dining but plenty of carbs and it's very close to the Airbnb.

Friday - 45' easy - 7Km, 6:21/Km, 145avg HR

I'm staying out in the suburbs but there's no big parks near me to get an uninterrupted run completed. Plotted a route that would finish close to a nice cafe so I could get breakfast. The owner has consulted on the show "The Bear" and now sell the chocolate cake from the show. Had normal breakfast and then got a slice but kept most of it for after dinner. The start/stop nature of the run was worth it.

Off to the expo. After I get off at my train stop at The Loop, there are Chicago marathon posters and runners everywhere. Everyone is head down at their phones or head up at information screens trying to figure out where the green line is so they can get to the expo. Get on the right train and depart. Queues of runners at each pedestrian light. Then the light goes and it's like being in a race with a wide range of pacing strategies being executed so the weaving begins. Mental note for Sunday... No weaving.

Expo is busy when I arrive but is rammed by the time I leave. I pick up my marathon and 5Km bibs without issue. A picture is had at each of their respective signs and then I start to wander. Abbott obviously have a large footprint so I look around their stands and come across the 6 star wall of fame which has our very own @opus on there. My main goal at the expo was to get to the Oofos stand and see what they've got. Picked up another pair of their shoes to help keep the PF at bay. Wandered around the remaining stalls with the likes of Nike and Feet Fleet insanely busy. A few freebies to be had but nothing exciting. Think I was there for about 90 minutes. I grab a cab and head up to a mall to get the wife and kids presents sorted. Visited one of the local Fleet Feet stores and almost purchased another pair of Endorphin Pro to use on race day but common sense prevailed. I may pick them up after the race as they're a little cheaper over here. Grabbed the required water for Maurten 320 in a Whole Foods and then it was home time.

Exhausted after a long day. Finished the day with 30k steps but presents have been sorted and everything is done for race day so Saturday is just the Chicago 5Km with plenty of time off my feet afterwards. I'm not sure I'd recommend going to the expo the day before the race given all the walking that is required.

Saturday - 35' easy - Chicago 5Km - 5Km, 6:25/Km, 127avg HR

Not a great night's sleep before this. Early start to get into Grant Park so a dry run of tomorrow's trek. Arrived in plenty of time. Wandered around a little before entering the corrals. Busier than I expected. There was no bag check so I had to use a drawstring bag to carry some stuff and then run with it. Corral assignment was a bit of a joke as there was walkers in all corrals. GPS issues started after first 2Kms but kept the pace steady throughout. An enjoyable event and perfect opportunity to test out the public transport at that time of the morning. Recommended if anyone is considering doing the marathon.

Mileage for the week - 26Km

Mileage for the Year - 1375Km

1 sleep until Chicago - both the race and the excitement have been a long time coming. The buzz finally hit me when I got to the expo. When the lottery hit last December I was psyched to get an entry. Then the dreaded PF hit so I feel really lucky to be here at all. PB stands at 4:24. I've no races done this year so I'm going to stick at around 5:55-6:00/Km which would see a new PB if I can stick with that throughout. It's been very manageable during my long runs. Need to stay disciplined early on when experiencing the GPS issues due to the skyscrapers. Due to this, I've turned off auto lap on the watch. I'm going to monitor perceived effort and each 5Km marker time to keep myself on target.

Going to go watch the rugby match on RTE player. I'm more nervous about that then I am about the marathon. Pasta after the match and then finalise the race gear for the morning.

I'll report back tomorrow at some stage.

Chicago Marathon Race Report

Training

PF obliterated my plans for the year. Most of Q1 was little to no running when I pulled the plug on it after the 3rd week in January. Thanks again for the advice here on that. Started to try to run/walk in April to see if I could build up to where I could run easy for sixty minutes with a view to completing Chicago. I had paid for most of the trip back in December so I was happy to travel even if I had to walk the course. It was the end of June by the time I was able to get 5 days of easy running, 1 of which was a 90+ minute long run. This was a sign that I could do some light session work. With no races since early December and a lot of easy running, I had nothing to base my session workouts speedwork on so we leaned towards being conservative. Got 3hrs * 2 at the end of the block which resulted in no additional PF issues so I felt confident in getting around with the planned 6/Km pace. Slight quad issue in the first week of taper as well as a missed long run in the same week meant it was not all plain sailing but still felt good about finishing what would be my first major.

Race Day

Sleep was not plentiful on this trip and race day was no different. Never really got hold of jet lag so I was up early every day. I was awake at 3am which was 2 hours earlier than planned. Watched the final episode of Ahsoka and made progress in one of the Slow Horses books before getting up at 5am. I had everything ready the night before with the exception of the Maurten 320 mix that I was to consume on the train. We got out the door at about 5:30 to head for the train. A few marathoners at our stop and a few more on the train. Thankfully we got a seat. Carbon everywhere. The train quickly filled with runners as we neared The Loop. Off the train and there is a sea of runners all making their way towards Grant Park. When we reached the park, we got into the nearest hotel to use their facilities to avoid spending unnecessary time standing in the park. There were queues here but we were happy to stand in the warmth. Over to Grant Park to go through security which was a breeze. I had plenty of time to relax but the gent I was staying with was up in Corral A so he headed off to do a warm up in preparation for his 2:41 marathon😶. I got a seat on one of the benches opposite the water fountain and chatted away to other runners whilst preparing my race gear and fuel. Watered the bushes before and after the bag check. Portaloo queues were about 50 deep. Gathered everything I needed to carry with me and then over to the gear check. Back to the bench to relax some more. Seems I got to the park way too early.

Sauntered over to my corral with about 5 minutes to spare. Music was pumping and the announcer was cheering people on as they went by. I heard a shout out to someone from Kerry a few minutes before I got going. Took a Maurten 100 caffeine gel at about 8am. Our wave was due to go at 8am but I was in the last corral of the wave so it was ~8:25 by the time I started. I had brought a hat, t-shirt, long sleeve top and hoodie to throw away. I would recommend gloves and perhaps leggings to add to that. Slowly made our way forward as each corral was released. Off with the throwaways as the corral in front of us was released. Took another few mins to cross the line as the start line is narrower than the road but we got there.

Chicago is well known for GPS issues due to the skyscrapers so I'll base the report off the official splits. The GPS on my strava is all over the place when near the centre of the city.

0-5Km - 29:34 - 5:55/Km

Across the start line, out of Grant Park and you are presented with the first tunnel of the day. Also presented to you are walkers... walkers who should perhaps be back in Wave 3. Not sure how the cutoff works so perhaps they are trying to get ahead of that. Into the tunnel and notice there is someone getting medical assistance already. Thankfully it looks to be only a fall. Out of the tunnel you are hit with bright light and huge cheers from the supporters lined on both sides. Garmin shows all sorts of numbers so I stick to the plan of running 5:55-6/Km or close to 30min per 5K. The bridges are half covered in carpet so there is always a merging of runners to get across to the carpet. Across the bridge and within a few hundred metres you have the first turn. I have completely forgotten about the blue line that they have painted on the ground. I am too enthralled with the huge support and the massive buildings I am running between. This Is about this time that I realise that I may need to visit a portaloo or park bush once again. Running comfortably and as the mile markers pass, I am on target. Down half of the Maurten 320 in my soft flask.

6-10Km - 30:07 - 6:02/Km

I finally remember the blue line and start following it. Kms 5-8 are a long straight stretch with just buildings on either side. The support and their signage keep a smile on your face. "WTF - Where's The Finish"... "This will be long and hard but when has that ever been a bad thing"... "Football Running is life - Dani Rojas"... "You are a 26.2 out of 10"... "Run bitches"... "I have been training all week to hold this sign". At the end of the 8th Km you get out into the Lincoln Park. Plenty of runners take advantage of the bushes along here so I join them and feel much better for it. Running through the park is lovely and there's a bit of music (DJs, live bands etc) at various points. My shorts are struggling a little with all the gels that they are carrying (Maurten 160 * 4, Caff 100 * 1 and 100 * 1). I down the remaining Maurten 320 and then decide to carry a gel in each hand which makes things easier.

11-15Km - 28:46 - 5:46/Km

Out of Lincoln park and running alongside the lake coast. I was a little worried that we would be exposed to wind here but it was nothing to worry about in the end. Continual support is great. I don't have my name on my bib or singlet but I do get shouts of "Go Parkrun" which is great to hear and keeps me ticking along. We reach the northernmost point of the run and with 2 quick turns in succession, we are heading back towards Old Town. More mile markers come and go. The mental maths about where I am vs where I expected to be show that I am ahead of schedule and feeling good. The little uptick in my pace has me taking my gels a few minutes ahead of the 30 minute intervals I had planned. Caffeine 100 gel at about 1hr25mins.

16-20Km - 28:45 - 5:46/Km

This stretch brings you towards Old Town which has (imo) the best support of the day. A lot of music, cracking signs and the crowds are amazing. You start off in the suburbs here though you are soon parallel to the 5-8Km stretch and running back towards skyscrapers. Jello shots and beer are available from the crowd if you are taking a more relaxed approach to the race. GPS starts becoming screwy again. I keep running at a consistent pace whilst watching out for the dodos who keep running across my path to get water/gatorade. I am on the blue line near the middle of the road, yet they do not seem to realise that there are aid stations on both sides of the road. Approaching the halfway mark. Body/mind are feeling good. 160 gel consumed at about 1hr55 point.

21-25Km - 27:57 - 5:36/Km

We are approaching the river for 4th time.The red carpet they rolled over it still looks in good shape, despite about 20-25k people having trampled over it already. The noise is deafening as it bounds off the tall buildings. Running alongside the river now. I cross the halfway point in 2:03:20. Excited about where I am in terms of goal and the potential for the 2nd half. Just after the halfway mark we turn west and cross the river for the 5th time. I skip the red carpet this time and just run across the grates. It doesn't feel too bad though I would hesitate to do it on a wet day. About halfway through this section you get an incredible view of the North city skyline and the southern industrial area as you cross over i90. A little further uptick in pace throughout this section. 160 gel at about 2hr25.

26-30Km - 27:44 - 5:33/Km

I found this 5Km and the next to be the most frustrating part of the route. There were a number of turns and people were getting tired/lazy at this point. Nobody was holding their racing line so I was having to weave/dodge people going around turns. I can't recall a lot about this section as I was focused on navigating around bodies. Figured at this point that there is a potential for a sub 4 though I have a bit of time to make up to get there. All things still going well. No worries about PF and no sign of any other red flags. 160 gel at 2hr50.

31-35Km - 26:59 - 5:24/Km

More turns and more dodging. Increased the pace further. Feel like it has gotten a little warmer and there is little sign of any breeze. Number suggest that the sub 4 is on. Having not raced since December, I have no evidence that physically it is possible. Final crossing of Chicago river and we head under a number of bridges. At the exit of the final bridge, a woman trips over really poor road surface. She's ok and gets up fine with support from those near her. On the topic of road surface, there a few areas where you need to keep an eye on what is under foot. Short hill coming out of the tunnels so I take it easy-ish going up it. 100 gel at 3hr30.

36-40Km - 31:50 - 6:23/Km

Pace slightly slowed but still at sub 4 pace though unsure if overall pace is enough to get there. More corners to navigate before approaching the turn for the final out and back. At the end of 37Km I feel that I need to slow down for a bit. I am about to walk for a short bit when the legs buckle. I walk for about 20 metres and get jogging again. Sub 4 is gone as I was cutting it close at this stage. I get down to the u-turn and now face a long couple of Kms ahead.

Finish - 14:54 - 6:48/Km

I need to stretch twice along the final stretch of road. Trying to keep things moving as much as possible. After the 2nd stretch I see the "800m" sign up ahead and decide that I will "up" the pace a little which gets me back to my original 6min/Km pace. Both hamstrings cramp at the same time. I am not stopping. At the end of this road, you turn to go up a little hill and there is loads of support here before the final turn for the finish line. It feels like I could hear a pin drop here but there is loads of shouting going on. I have tunnel vision for the finish. At the top of the hill, a left turn and you can see the finish a few hundred metres away. My hamstrings are still screaming at me to stop. I cross over the finish line with my hands in the air but they quickly drop to my quads as I am bent over in exhaustion. Mentally and physically washed.

Result - 4:06:36 - PB by 17:32

Not sure if any of this is in order ... I waddle down towards the water line and pick up a muscle milk to get some protein to the muscles. Follow this up by getting my medal and then a couple of space blankets to keep warm. The beer at the finish line had a unique finisher's can. I am not a beer drinker but I try it anyway. Still not a beer drinker. Gatorade cup * 3 gets downed and I go get a picture taken with my medal which will hopefully come through in the finishers pix. I go grab my bag and then a seat to get changed into warm clothes. I venture to the other side of the fountain, grab another seat and try to gather myself physically/mentally. A call to wife/kids/parents to reassure them that I am ok after the race. A lot of congratulations which was great to hear. The boys are in awe of the medal. Later that evening I grabbed pizza and cider/shots. Exhausted by 9pm so made tracks back to the AirBnb. Woke up to a text from Aer Lingus saying my flight was delayed by 5 hours. This meant I could get to do one of the boat tours and have a wander about the city. Medal Monday as it is known, means there were marathon medals everywhere. Eventually got my flight late on Monday evening. Slept all the way home.

I am delighted with how it went. A PB after a horrid year of running means that if I can get a good run of training next year, I should be in good shape for a marathon in Spring/Autumn 2025. Run the Line (short) and Art O'Neill Pursuit are up next. No race plans for 2024 after AON. I will look at the race calendars soon and pick out some shorter distances from 5Km through to 10mile. Fingers crossed I can keep the PF at bay. There does not seem to be have been any reaction from it from the marathon.

A great account of it and congrats on the big PB. FWIW, I think you were right to have a crack at the sub 4. You know it's there for you now, if you can get an injury free prep!

• Advertisement
Advertisement